|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hannay finally come to believe Scudder's story?
(a) He hears the same story from someone who is more credible.
(b) He becomes friends with Scudder.
(c) He finds Scudder stabbed to death in his flat.
(d) He finds more evidence of the plot.
2. Does the milkman agree to the handsome offer?
(c) Only at first.
3. What will Hannay do right before the tea party?
(a) Warn the British government of the impending assassination attempt on Karolides.
(b) Save Karolides himself.
(c) Hide in Scotland.
(d) Leave the country.
4. Hannay continues his ruse until when?
(b) Two days later.
(c) The next morning.
(d) The afternoon.
5. Hannay next gives a speech, giving the crowd a completely fabricated account of politics in what country?
6. As luck would have it, Hannay stumbles across a _________ road man, mending the road.
(a) Lonely British.
(b) Old German.
(c) Young French.
(d) Drunk Scottish.
7. The coming war would involve the break of relations between who?
(a) The Brits and the Scots.
(b) The Germans and the Brits.
(c) The Brits and the Americans.
(d) The Germans and the Americans.
8. Hannay, hidden upstairs, gives the boy a note he forges, which makes Hannay sound like a spy who is about to inform his superior about the Karolides affair. What do the men do after reading this note?
(a) They search the inn.
(b) They take the innkeeper as a hostage.
(c) They go upstairs.
(d) They leave.
9. The supervisor arrives via car. Is Hannay able to convince the man that he is Turnbull?
(a) Only at first.
10. What makes Hannay's departure quite public?
(a) The rough men chasing after him.
(b) A dog barks at him.
(c) A child pointing him out.
(d) The conductor yelling at him.
11. Sir Harry is a _________, and he makes a poorly-spoken anti-war speech blasting the Tory party for creating a "German menace."
12. Arriving at a station he had been to the night before, Hannay must hide in the shadows from whom?
(a) A group of policemen.
(b) A station-manager.
(c) A station-master he met the day before, and three rough-looking local policemen questioning the station-master.
(d) A station-master he met the day before and three police officers questioning the station-manager.
13. At this point a final car passes him, and he recognizes the driver, a _______________ Hannay dislikes named Marmaduke Jopley.
(a) Wealthy lawyer.
(b) Tough police officer.
(c) Haughty stockbroker.
(d) Whiny school teacher.
14. For how many days does Hannay plan to lay low before the tea party?
15. Hannay soon has another visitor, this time _________ rough men who he guesses are members of Black Stone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hannay know he is in trouble, after seeing the article about Scudder's murder?
2. Richard Hannay is a Scot turned _________.
3. He examines Scudder's black book, which appears to be coded with a cipher that requires what?
4. Hannay rides Sir Harry's bike where?
5. As Hannay speeds along the moor roads in the stolen plainclothes officer's car, he thinks about what?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)