|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hannay exits his flat and heads where?
(a) Toward a train station.
(b) Toward a bus station.
(c) Toward a rental car agency.
(d) Toward an airport.
2. Sir Harry is a _________, and he makes a poorly-spoken anti-war speech blasting the Tory party for creating a "German menace."
3. Hannay decides to do what?
(a) Carry on Scudder's work.
(b) Travel to the United States.
(c) Go home.
(d) Hide in his flat.
4. What will Hannay do right before the tea party?
(a) Leave the country.
(b) Warn the British government of the impending assassination attempt on Karolides.
(c) Save Karolides himself.
(d) Hide in Scotland.
5. Hannay, hidden upstairs, gives the boy a note he forges, which makes Hannay sound like a spy who is about to inform his superior about the Karolides affair. What do the men do after reading this note?
(a) They take the innkeeper as a hostage.
(b) They search the inn.
(c) They go upstairs.
(d) They leave.
6. Where does Hannay find an article about Scudder's death, dubbed "The Portland Place Murder?"
(a) In a Scottish Review newspaper.
(b) On a reward poster.
(c) On a board in the train station.
(d) In an old shepherd's daily newspaper.
7. Switching trains, Hannay finally emerges into the Scottish moorlands, or _______.
8. Finding himself back in the moorland, Hannay must hide where?
(a) Among the bushes.
(b) In an abandoned building.
(c) In a dense forest.
(d) In a farmer's home.
9. Recently Scudder stumbled upon a sinister international scheme to usher in a state of European anarchy, specifically to get Russia to declare war on what country?
(d) The United States.
10. Scudder is __________ journalist and has toured much of Europe in that capacity.
(a) An American.
(b) An Australian.
(c) A Scottish.
(d) A British.
11. What saves Hannay's life?
(a) A rock.
(b) A building.
(c) The car comes to a stop.
(d) A branch.
12. As part of pulling off this scheme, the conspirators wish to assassinate the Greek Premier named ____________, because he is a smart man of integrity who has a chance to ruin their plans.
13. The supervisor arrives via car. Is Hannay able to convince the man that he is Turnbull?
(c) Only at first.
14. Why is Hannay worried about a monoplane flying overhead?
(a) He fears it belongs to the enemy.
(b) He fears its pilot might report him to the police.
(c) He fears it might be Karolides headed to England.
(d) He fears it might crash.
15. Why does Hannay plan to double-back on his tracks?
(a) To find the men searching for him.
(b) To protect the farmer and his wife.
(c) To fool the police and anyone else on his tail.
(d) He forgot something at the train station.
Short Answer Questions
1. During this time in the inn, Hannay cracks Scudder's cipher by using what name, that Scudder mentioned was the "key" to the whole affair with Karolides?
2. When they arrive, what does Hannay give Jopley?
3. As luck would have it, Hannay stumbles across a _________ road man, mending the road.
4. At this point a final car passes him, and he recognizes the driver, a _______________ Hannay dislikes named Marmaduke Jopley.
5. How does Jopley feel?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)