|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what man does Margaret show a romantic interest ?
2. As a young teen, Emmeline liked to:
3. What are the words that come to Margaret as she struggles to understand them?
4. As a child, whose name did Margaret write often in the phonetic alphabet?
5. In her telling of the Angelfield story, what does Vida Winter begin to do that she has not done before?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Adeline begin to confuse people about which twin is which?
2. What lie does Ambrose Proctor tell the doctor?
3. Who does Margaret meet unexpectedly on the moors, and why?
4. What news brings Aurelius much joy?
5. Karen shows a picture of her father to Margaret. What is he holding?
6. After finding Charlie, where does Adeline immediately go, and what does she do?
7. Describe how Vida Winter became Adeline.
8. What lie does Adeline concoct about Charlie's whereabouts?
9. After the strange discovery of human remains at Angelfield, why does Margaret go to see Mr. Lomax?
10. What crucial part of Vida Winter's story does Margaret figure out which answers many of the unsolved pieces of the story's puzzle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel takes on two time periods; the present and the past. In both, however, servants are far inferior to the owners of estates. Discuss this servant/master relationship as it is portrayed in the book. Does Setterfield remain neutral on the subject? In other words, does she merely present facts or does she write about this relationship in such a way to approve or disapprove of this kind of dominant/subservient relationship?
Essay Topic 2
How is understanding family history helpful in understanding an individual? Winter says to Margaret that individuals are part of their family's story. Do you believe that an individual is so marked by his family or by the past events of a family that he or she is trapped by this background? Can a family so mark a person that he or she cannot change? Discuss this question as it relates either to Vida Winters or to Margaret Lea.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the repercussions of the bad parenting for the Angelfield children. George doted on Isabelle but ignored Charlie. The bad parenting continued in the next generation, as Isabelle, too, neglected her children. Write about the bad parenting exhibited at Angelfield, and the effects this had on the many affected characters.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)