|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hester is troubled about a boy in the garden. Why?
2. Who set the fire at Angelfield?
3. John-the-dig hires someone to:
4. Why doesn't the doctor come as soon as Emmeline has died?
5. What does Margaret bring to Aurelius at Angelfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the odd conveyor belt that Ms. Winter discusses with Margaret.
2. After the strange discovery of human remains at Angelfield, why does Margaret go to see Mr. Lomax?
3. Karen shows a picture of her father to Margaret. What is he holding?
4. What makes John-the-dig decide he needs to check on Charlie?
5. Why had Margaret's parents not told her about being a twin?
6. Who does Margaret meet unexpectedly on the moors, and why?
7. What does Margaret tell Aurelius, and what does he then ask of her?
8. Who is the unnamed child's father?
9. What lie does Ambrose Proctor tell the doctor?
10. Who takes care of the unnamed child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the use of word choice in the novel, especially in the author's use to create a mood. Use specific examples with accompanying page numbers to show how Setterfield uses "loaded" words for her advantage.
Essay Topic 2
This novel takes on two time periods; the present and the past. In both, however, servants are far inferior to the owners of estates. Discuss this servant/master relationship as it is portrayed in the book. Does Setterfield remain neutral on the subject? In other words, does she merely present facts or does she write about this relationship in such a way to approve or disapprove of this kind of dominant/subservient relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in this book struggle with depression. Identify the afflicted characters and discuss the behaviors of those characters which lead readers to imply that the depression is real. What factors for these characters might have led to this illness?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)