|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first interview, Margaret asks for three bits of information. What is the response to this from Vida Winter?
2. What kind of writing of Margaret's has been published?
3. When Ms. Winter is in pain, what is the metaphor she uses to describe this pain?
4. When the doctor comes to Angelfield, he recommends what?
5. What does Aurelius Love bring to Margaret after she falls?
Short Essay Questions
1. List several details of Angelfield when Mrs. Maudsley first enters.
2. How does Margaret learn that she was a twin? Describe what she is doing and how she makes the discovery.
3. Describe the orientation of the Angelfield house.
4. Give three adjectives that describe Hester.
5. Describe the circumstances of the first meeting between Margaret and Aurelius.
6. Describe the bookstore. Who were its main customers, and how was most of its income made?
7. Contrast the differences in Margaret's parents.
8. What happens to Mrs. Maudsley when she arrives at Angelfield to check on the twins?
9. List a few specific details about Vida Winter's appearance on Margaret's first meeting.
10. Contrast the difference in the way George Angelfield treats his two children.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How believable are the "ghost sightings"? List at least four of the sightings and give the explanation for each. Should they have been included in this novel at all?
Essay Topic 2
Margaret watched two people die, yet most modern Americans no longer witness the deaths of loved ones. Is this healthy or unhealthy? Is there something valuable in watching the painful but natural cycle of death? How was this therapeutic for Margaret? In what way did Margaret grow as a person through the deaths she witnessed? Use your text for support.
Essay Topic 3
In Dicken's Study, Vida Winter says she creates in order to fill a deep void within. Discuss Vida Winter as a creative person. Do you agree that her troubled past might have made her a better storyteller and novelist? What were her particular demons? What makes her likable as a character? Unlikeable?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)