Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is peculiar about the many interviews given by Vida Winter?
2. What is one peculiar aspect of the twins?
3. Hester 's and the doctor's actions result in what consequences?
4. What does Merrily often do while she is hanging clothes or doing housework?
5. When Vida Winter cries out a name, Margaret realizes that she and Winter have something in common. What is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. List a few details that are used to describe Margaret's first impression of Vida Winter's house.
2. List several details of Angelfield when Mrs. Maudsley first enters.
3. Describe how the fire started.
4. Relate a few ways that the bookstore contributed to Margaret's education.
5. Describe Aurelius's inheritance.
6. What news brings Aurelius much joy?
7. Explain why Hester leaves Angelfield so suddenly.
8. When Margaret writes a card about Hester, what conclusion does she come to, and how does she act on this?
9. Describe the bookstore. Who were its main customers, and how was most of its income made?
10. How does Adeline begin to confuse people about which twin is which?
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the use of word choice in the novel, especially in the author's use to create a mood. Use specific examples with accompanying page numbers to show how Setterfield uses "loaded" words for her advantage.
Essay Topic 2
How does Setterfield develop her characters? Pick one character that interests you and trace the changes this character makes. Use specific examples from the book .
Essay Topic 3
In what time period does this novel take place? Find and identify the many clues that indicate the time period. Do this for both plot stories: Margaret as she interviews Vida Winter and the story of Vida Winter as a child. Use page numbers and specific references to prove your point.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)