|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Merrily get her name?
2. What kind of writing of Margaret's has been published?
3. What physical feature on Vida Winter is distinctive?
4. Why does the roof at Angelfield get worse soon after Hester leaves?
5. Who or what startles Margaret in the ruins of the Angelfield house on her first day of exploration?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the bookstore. Who were its main customers, and how was most of its income made?
2. Describe the contents of the letter which Margaret receives.
3. Relate the circumstances surrounding Isabelle's birth.
4. List several details of Angelfield when Mrs. Maudsley first enters.
5. Describe the circumstances of the first meeting between Margaret and Aurelius.
6. List a few details that are used to describe Margaret's first impression of Vida Winter's house.
7. After Isabelle leaves Angelfield for a short time, with whom did she return?
8. Contrast the differences in Margaret's parents.
9. How does Margaret learn that she was a twin? Describe what she is doing and how she makes the discovery.
10. Give three adjectives that describe Hester.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the repercussions of the bad parenting for the Angelfield children. George doted on Isabelle but ignored Charlie. The bad parenting continued in the next generation, as Isabelle, too, neglected her children. Write about the bad parenting exhibited at Angelfield, and the effects this had on the many affected characters.
Essay Topic 2
In Dicken's Study, Vida Winter says she creates in order to fill a deep void within. Discuss Vida Winter as a creative person. Do you agree that her troubled past might have made her a better storyteller and novelist? What were her particular demons? What makes her likable as a character? Unlikeable?
Essay Topic 3
"All children mythologize their birth." What does this quote by Vida Winter mean? How is this true for you or for others you have known? What myths were the characters in the story perpetuating and why?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)