|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children do that make John-the-Dig and Missus sad?
2. When the doctor comes to Angelfield, he recommends what?
3. Vida Winter is reluctant to let Margaret leave for a few days. Why?
4. After several days of interviewing Vida Winter, Margaret decides she must leave for a few days. Why?
5. Why is Angelfield scheduled for demolition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Vida Winter's reaction to Margaret 's short leave of absence.
2. How does Margaret learn that she was a twin? Describe what she is doing and how she makes the discovery.
3. What information does Margaret find at the Banbury Herald? What information does she NOT find?
4. How are the twins becoming different from each other under Hester's guidance?
5. Contrast the difference in the way George Angelfield treats his two children.
6. Describe the circumstances of the first meeting between Margaret and Aurelius.
7. Describe the incident of the baby and perambulator.
8. List a few specific details about Vida Winter's appearance on Margaret's first meeting.
9. List a few "odd" behaviors of the twins as they go about the countryside.
10. What happens to Mrs. Maudsley when she arrives at Angelfield to check on the twins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Margaret watched two people die, yet most modern Americans no longer witness the deaths of loved ones. Is this healthy or unhealthy? Is there something valuable in watching the painful but natural cycle of death? How was this therapeutic for Margaret? In what way did Margaret grow as a person through the deaths she witnessed? Use your text for support.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the repercussions of the bad parenting for the Angelfield children. George doted on Isabelle but ignored Charlie. The bad parenting continued in the next generation, as Isabelle, too, neglected her children. Write about the bad parenting exhibited at Angelfield, and the effects this had on the many affected characters.
Essay Topic 3
Aurelius is a character who is never content knowing he was abandoned by his own parent and adopted by a stranger. How does this affect the choices he makes? How does this affect his personality? Write about Aurelius as a character, paying particular attention to his desperate need for belonging.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)