|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The name of the house and estate where Vida Winter grew up (as Adeline) was called:
2. Winter's frankness and honesty create a strong first reaction in Margaret. Early in their first conversation, Margaret:
3. In the first interview, Margaret asks for three bits of information. What is the response to this from Vida Winter?
4. What odd behavior does Isabelle's father display in the early days of Isabelle's life?
5. In literature, what are examples of the "Rule of Three" which Vida Winter cites?
Short Essay Questions
1. Relate a few ways that the bookstore contributed to Margaret's education.
2. Contrast the difference in the way George Angelfield treats his two children.
3. Explain why Hester leaves Angelfield so suddenly.
4. Describe Margaret's reaction to reading Vida Winter's books.
5. Relate the circumstances surrounding Isabelle's birth.
6. Describe the orientation of the Angelfield house.
7. After Isabelle leaves Angelfield for a short time, with whom did she return?
8. When Margaret writes a card about Hester, what conclusion does she come to, and how does she act on this?
9. When Hester arrives, she summons the twins, but they do not come. How does Hester handle this behavior?
10. List a few details that are used to describe Margaret's first impression of Vida Winter's house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"All children mythologize their birth." What does this quote by Vida Winter mean? How is this true for you or for others you have known? What myths were the characters in the story perpetuating and why?
Essay Topic 2
Should we be our "brother's keeper?" In other words, when we see neighbors in need, what should our response be? If the townspeople had rallied sooner to intervene in the neglect of the children and the mental illness Isabelle, might tragedy have been averted? Discuss this idea in terms of the book, using citations from the book to prove your point.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the elements of weather work to strengthen the plot and themes of this book. For example, there is much mystery and confusion in the plot at the same time the countryside is immersed in a thick fog. Identify these setting clues and show how they strengthen the plot.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)