|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is peculiar about the many interviews given by Vida Winter?
2. What is one peculiar aspect of the twins?
3. Hester 's and the doctor's actions result in what consequences?
4. What does Merrily often do while she is hanging clothes or doing housework?
5. When Vida Winter cries out a name, Margaret realizes that she and Winter have something in common. What is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. List a few details that are used to describe Margaret's first impression of Vida Winter's house.
2. List several details of Angelfield when Mrs. Maudsley first enters.
3. Describe how the fire started.
4. Relate a few ways that the bookstore contributed to Margaret's education.
5. Describe Aurelius's inheritance.
6. What news brings Aurelius much joy?
7. Explain why Hester leaves Angelfield so suddenly.
8. When Margaret writes a card about Hester, what conclusion does she come to, and how does she act on this?
9. Describe the bookstore. Who were its main customers, and how was most of its income made?
10. How does Adeline begin to confuse people about which twin is which?
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in this book struggle with depression. Identify the afflicted characters and discuss the behaviors of those characters which lead readers to imply that the depression is real. What factors for these characters might have led to this illness?
Essay Topic 2
This novel takes on two time periods; the present and the past. In both, however, servants are far inferior to the owners of estates. Discuss this servant/master relationship as it is portrayed in the book. Does Setterfield remain neutral on the subject? In other words, does she merely present facts or does she write about this relationship in such a way to approve or disapprove of this kind of dominant/subservient relationship?
Essay Topic 3
"All children mythologize their birth." What does this quote by Vida Winter mean? How is this true for you or for others you have known? What myths were the characters in the story perpetuating and why?
This section contains 1,751 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)