|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vida Winter is a prolific and well-known author. Besides her fame, what can be said about her physical appearance?
2. What odd behavior does Isabelle's father display in the early days of Isabelle's life?
3. Who is Hester?
4. Where does Margaret begin her research to verify the three parts of Ms. Winter's story?
5. How many different (untrue) versions of her life has Ms. Winter told to reporters and interviewers?
Short Essay Questions
1. List several details of Angelfield when Mrs. Maudsley first enters.
2. Give three adjectives that describe Hester.
3. At one point in their first conversation, Margaret is uncomfortable and gets up to leave. What words of Vida Winter bring her back?
4. Describe why Hester and the doctor thought it might be important to separate the twins.
5. Describe the bookstore. Who were its main customers, and how was most of its income made?
6. Describe what Margaret hears in the night soon after she arrives at the Winter house, and what she does when she hears this sound.
7. How are the twins becoming different from each other under Hester's guidance?
8. Who raises the twins?
9. List a few "odd" behaviors of the twins as they go about the countryside.
10. List a few details that are used to describe Margaret's first impression of Vida Winter's house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel takes on two time periods; the present and the past. In both, however, servants are far inferior to the owners of estates. Discuss this servant/master relationship as it is portrayed in the book. Does Setterfield remain neutral on the subject? In other words, does she merely present facts or does she write about this relationship in such a way to approve or disapprove of this kind of dominant/subservient relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Aurelius is a character who is never content knowing he was abandoned by his own parent and adopted by a stranger. How does this affect the choices he makes? How does this affect his personality? Write about Aurelius as a character, paying particular attention to his desperate need for belonging.
Essay Topic 3
In Dicken's Study, Vida Winter says she creates in order to fill a deep void within. Discuss Vida Winter as a creative person. Do you agree that her troubled past might have made her a better storyteller and novelist? What were her particular demons? What makes her likable as a character? Unlikeable?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)