|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a perambulator?
2. As the twins grow, what disturbing pattern emerges regarding them in the village and surrounding houses?
3. In the first interview, Margaret asks for three bits of information. What is the response to this from Vida Winter?
4. What is one overwhelming first impression of Vida Winter's house?
5. With whom does Hester seems to be making some positive impact?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances of the first meeting between Margaret and Aurelius.
2. When Hester arrives, she summons the twins, but they do not come. How does Hester handle this behavior?
3. What happens when Margaret arrives at Vida Winter's house for the first time?
4. Describe the orientation of the Angelfield house.
5. Describe Vida Winter's reaction to Margaret 's short leave of absence.
6. Describe the contents of the letter which Margaret receives.
7. After Isabelle leaves Angelfield for a short time, with whom did she return?
8. Describe the incident of the baby and perambulator.
9. Describe what Margaret hears in the night soon after she arrives at the Winter house, and what she does when she hears this sound.
10. Explain why Hester leaves Angelfield so suddenly.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How believable are the "ghost sightings"? List at least four of the sightings and give the explanation for each. Should they have been included in this novel at all?
Essay Topic 2
In their first interview, Vida Winter says to Margaret, " I can't stand politeness.... people with ambition don't give a damn about what people think of them." Many people would argue that politeness is a virtue, but Vida Winters thinks otherwise. Do you agree or disagree that politeness is virtue? Is it or is it not an admirable character trait? Discuss how Winter's lack of politeness affected her ability to relate to others, and whether if affects her appeal to readers.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in this book struggle with depression. Identify the afflicted characters and discuss the behaviors of those characters which lead readers to imply that the depression is real. What factors for these characters might have led to this illness?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)