|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of the book, who has sent Margaret a surprising letter?
2. As the twins grow, what disturbing pattern emerges regarding them in the village and surrounding houses?
3. Is the report of the Angelfield fire confirmed by the Banbury Herald newspaper?
4. Who is in the perambulator for the dangerous ride downhill?
5. What peculiar record does Margaret find in an almanac about Charlie Angelfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. Contrast the difference in the way George Angelfield treats his two children.
2. Describe the bookstore. Who were its main customers, and how was most of its income made?
3. When Hester arrives, she summons the twins, but they do not come. How does Hester handle this behavior?
4. Describe why Hester and the doctor thought it might be important to separate the twins.
5. Describe the contents of the letter which Margaret receives.
6. Relate the circumstances surrounding Isabelle's birth.
7. Give two details of the scenery Margaret describes on her way to meet Vida Winter.
8. Describe Vida Winter's reaction to Margaret 's short leave of absence.
9. After Isabelle leaves Angelfield for a short time, with whom did she return?
10. Describe the orientation of the Angelfield house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does "The Thirteenth Tale" fit into the genre of a Gothic novel? How does it not fit?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 2, Margaret Lea says, "through the written word, they (authors) can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you." In what ways did this novel arouse a reader's emotions? Give specific examples of emotions or life lessons that a reader could use from this novel.
Essay Topic 3
How believable are the "ghost sightings"? List at least four of the sightings and give the explanation for each. Should they have been included in this novel at all?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)