Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is peculiar about the many interviews given by Vida Winter?
2. What is one peculiar aspect of the twins?
3. Hester 's and the doctor's actions result in what consequences?
4. What does Merrily often do while she is hanging clothes or doing housework?
5. When Vida Winter cries out a name, Margaret realizes that she and Winter have something in common. What is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. List a few details that are used to describe Margaret's first impression of Vida Winter's house.
2. List several details of Angelfield when Mrs. Maudsley first enters.
3. Describe how the fire started.
4. Relate a few ways that the bookstore contributed to Margaret's education.
5. Describe Aurelius's inheritance.
6. What news brings Aurelius much joy?
7. Explain why Hester leaves Angelfield so suddenly.
8. When Margaret writes a card about Hester, what conclusion does she come to, and how does she act on this?
9. Describe the bookstore. Who were its main customers, and how was most of its income made?
10. How does Adeline begin to confuse people about which twin is which?
In their first interview, Vida Winter says to Margaret, " I can't stand politeness.... people with ambition don't give a damn about what people think of them." Many people would argue that politeness is a virtue, but Vida Winters thinks otherwise. Do you agree or disagree that politeness is virtue? Is it or is it not an admirable character trait? Discuss how Winter's lack of politeness affected her ability to relate to others, and whether if affects her appeal to readers.
Evaluate the use of word choice in the novel, especially in the author's use to create a mood. Use specific examples with accompanying page numbers to show how Setterfield uses "loaded" words for her advantage.
How believable are the "ghost sightings"? List at least four of the sightings and give the explanation for each. Should they have been included in this novel at all?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)