|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A woman in white used what to hurt a visitor to the Angelfield house?
2. As the twins grow, what disturbing pattern emerges regarding them in the village and surrounding houses?
3. What does Aurelius Love bring to Margaret after she falls?
4. Charlie, Isabelle's brother, is:
5. The name of the house and estate where Vida Winter grew up (as Adeline) was called:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the bookstore. Who were its main customers, and how was most of its income made?
2. At one point in their first conversation, Margaret is uncomfortable and gets up to leave. What words of Vida Winter bring her back?
3. Contrast the difference in the way George Angelfield treats his two children.
4. Describe Margaret's reaction to reading Vida Winter's books.
5. What happens to Mrs. Maudsley when she arrives at Angelfield to check on the twins?
6. List a few specific details about Vida Winter's appearance on Margaret's first meeting.
7. What happens when Margaret arrives at Vida Winter's house for the first time?
8. Relate a few ways that the bookstore contributed to Margaret's education.
9. List several details of Angelfield when Mrs. Maudsley first enters.
10. Who raises the twins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is understanding family history helpful in understanding an individual? Winter says to Margaret that individuals are part of their family's story. Do you believe that an individual is so marked by his family or by the past events of a family that he or she is trapped by this background? Can a family so mark a person that he or she cannot change? Discuss this question as it relates either to Vida Winters or to Margaret Lea.
Essay Topic 2
In what time period does this novel take place? Find and identify the many clues that indicate the time period. Do this for both plot stories: Margaret as she interviews Vida Winter and the story of Vida Winter as a child. Use page numbers and specific references to prove your point.
Essay Topic 3
Margaret watched two people die, yet most modern Americans no longer witness the deaths of loved ones. Is this healthy or unhealthy? Is there something valuable in watching the painful but natural cycle of death? How was this therapeutic for Margaret? In what way did Margaret grow as a person through the deaths she witnessed? Use your text for support.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)