|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the doctor comes to Angelfield, he recommends what?
2. Who is Hester?
3. Hester has become quite well-read on what subject?
4. In the first interview, Margaret asks for three bits of information. What is the response to this from Vida Winter?
5. What item of Charles Dickens, the author, does Vida Winter discuss with Margaret?
Short Essay Questions
1. List several details of Angelfield when Mrs. Maudsley first enters.
2. Describe Judith, the housekeeper.
3. Describe why Hester and the doctor thought it might be important to separate the twins.
4. Give three adjectives that describe Hester.
5. Describe the circumstances of the first meeting between Margaret and Aurelius.
6. When Hester arrives, she summons the twins, but they do not come. How does Hester handle this behavior?
7. How are the twins becoming different from each other under Hester's guidance?
8. Explain why Hester leaves Angelfield so suddenly.
9. Contrast the difference in the way George Angelfield treats his two children.
10. Give two details of the scenery Margaret describes on her way to meet Vida Winter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Should we be our "brother's keeper?" In other words, when we see neighbors in need, what should our response be? If the townspeople had rallied sooner to intervene in the neglect of the children and the mental illness Isabelle, might tragedy have been averted? Discuss this idea in terms of the book, using citations from the book to prove your point.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the elements of weather work to strengthen the plot and themes of this book. For example, there is much mystery and confusion in the plot at the same time the countryside is immersed in a thick fog. Identify these setting clues and show how they strengthen the plot.
Essay Topic 3
"All children mythologize their birth." What does this quote by Vida Winter mean? How is this true for you or for others you have known? What myths were the characters in the story perpetuating and why?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)