|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merrily often do while she is hanging clothes or doing housework?
2. What happens when the doctor tries to calm Hester after her "ghost sighting"?
3. How many different (untrue) versions of her life has Ms. Winter told to reporters and interviewers?
4. How did Merrily get her name?
5. What is the proof Margaret sees to prove she was a twin?
Short Essay Questions
1. List several details of Angelfield when Mrs. Maudsley first enters.
2. When Margaret writes a card about Hester, what conclusion does she come to, and how does she act on this?
3. Describe Vida Winter's reaction to Margaret 's short leave of absence.
4. Relate the circumstances surrounding Isabelle's birth.
5. Describe the orientation of the Angelfield house.
6. How does Margaret learn that she was a twin? Describe what she is doing and how she makes the discovery.
7. Describe the bookstore. Who were its main customers, and how was most of its income made?
8. Describe Judith, the housekeeper.
9. What makes Hester believe she is seeing a ghost?
10. List a few specific details about Vida Winter's appearance on Margaret's first meeting.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The extended generations of family at Angelfield are what we would call "dysfunctional." In what ways were these characters troubled? In what way did they try to hide their problems and resist outside help? How does Setterfield use this novel to make a point about the tragedy of isolation and "hiding " family problems?
Essay Topic 2
How is understanding family history helpful in understanding an individual? Winter says to Margaret that individuals are part of their family's story. Do you believe that an individual is so marked by his family or by the past events of a family that he or she is trapped by this background? Can a family so mark a person that he or she cannot change? Discuss this question as it relates either to Vida Winters or to Margaret Lea.
Essay Topic 3
In Dicken's Study, Vida Winter says she creates in order to fill a deep void within. Discuss Vida Winter as a creative person. Do you agree that her troubled past might have made her a better storyteller and novelist? What were her particular demons? What makes her likable as a character? Unlikeable?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)