|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Hester and John-the-dig argue about?
2. What odd behavior does Isabelle's father display in the early days of Isabelle's life?
3. What causes Margaret to run out of Angelfield on her first visit there?
4. What is one overwhelming first impression of Vida Winter's house?
5. Is the report of the Angelfield fire confirmed by the Banbury Herald newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Margaret's reaction to reading Vida Winter's books.
2. Who raises the twins?
3. How are the twins becoming different from each other under Hester's guidance?
4. How does Margaret learn that she was a twin? Describe what she is doing and how she makes the discovery.
5. Describe Vida Winter's reaction to Margaret 's short leave of absence.
6. What happens when Margaret arrives at Vida Winter's house for the first time?
7. What information does Margaret find at the Banbury Herald? What information does she NOT find?
8. Describe why Hester and the doctor thought it might be important to separate the twins.
9. Describe the circumstances of the first meeting between Margaret and Aurelius.
10. Describe the bookstore. Who were its main customers, and how was most of its income made?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Should we be our "brother's keeper?" In other words, when we see neighbors in need, what should our response be? If the townspeople had rallied sooner to intervene in the neglect of the children and the mental illness Isabelle, might tragedy have been averted? Discuss this idea in terms of the book, using citations from the book to prove your point.
Essay Topic 2
How does Setterfield develop her characters? Pick one character that interests you and trace the changes this character makes. Use specific examples from the book .
Essay Topic 3
In what time period does this novel take place? Find and identify the many clues that indicate the time period. Do this for both plot stories: Margaret as she interviews Vida Winter and the story of Vida Winter as a child. Use page numbers and specific references to prove your point.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)