|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Winter's frankness and honesty create a strong first reaction in Margaret. Early in their first conversation, Margaret:
2. What do Hester and John-the-dig argue about?
3. Vida Winter says she starts one book as soon as she finishes another because she is afraid to confront which person who keeps trying to get her attention?
4. As Margaret settles into her bedroom on her first night in Vida Winter's house, she rearranges which aspect of the bedroom?
5. Vida Winter is reluctant to let Margaret leave for a few days. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. At one point in their first conversation, Margaret is uncomfortable and gets up to leave. What words of Vida Winter bring her back?
2. Describe the bookstore. Who were its main customers, and how was most of its income made?
3. After Isabelle leaves Angelfield for a short time, with whom did she return?
4. What happens to Mrs. Maudsley when she arrives at Angelfield to check on the twins?
5. Describe the incident of the baby and perambulator.
6. Describe Vida Winter's reaction to Margaret 's short leave of absence.
7. List a few details that are used to describe Margaret's first impression of Vida Winter's house.
8. Describe what Margaret hears in the night soon after she arrives at the Winter house, and what she does when she hears this sound.
9. List a few specific details about Vida Winter's appearance on Margaret's first meeting.
10. Contrast the difference in the way George Angelfield treats his two children.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the use of word choice in the novel, especially in the author's use to create a mood. Use specific examples with accompanying page numbers to show how Setterfield uses "loaded" words for her advantage.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in this book struggle with depression. Identify the afflicted characters and discuss the behaviors of those characters which lead readers to imply that the depression is real. What factors for these characters might have led to this illness?
Essay Topic 3
In what time period does this novel take place? Find and identify the many clues that indicate the time period. Do this for both plot stories: Margaret as she interviews Vida Winter and the story of Vida Winter as a child. Use page numbers and specific references to prove your point.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)