|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is the report of the Angelfield fire confirmed by the Banbury Herald newspaper?
2. Where does Hester's lengthy conversation about the twins take place?
3. The following adjectives best describe Charlie as a child:
4. Hester 's and the doctor's actions result in what consequences?
5. What process does Margaret use to write the biography?
Short Essay Questions
1. Contrast the differences in Margaret's parents.
2. Describe the orientation of the Angelfield house.
3. Why does the Missus neglect to tell Charlie about Isabelle's death?
4. Describe the circumstances of the first meeting between Margaret and Aurelius.
5. Who raises the twins?
6. When Hester arrives, she summons the twins, but they do not come. How does Hester handle this behavior?
7. What "big" life events happened on the nights that Mrs. Love turned a heel twice?
8. Describe Judith, the housekeeper.
9. Explain the suspicious cause of death concerning the ladder.
10. Contrast the difference in the way George Angelfield treats his two children.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Margaret watched two people die, yet most modern Americans no longer witness the deaths of loved ones. Is this healthy or unhealthy? Is there something valuable in watching the painful but natural cycle of death? How was this therapeutic for Margaret? In what way did Margaret grow as a person through the deaths she witnessed? Use your text for support.
Essay Topic 2
In what time period does this novel take place? Find and identify the many clues that indicate the time period. Do this for both plot stories: Margaret as she interviews Vida Winter and the story of Vida Winter as a child. Use page numbers and specific references to prove your point.
Essay Topic 3
Should we be our "brother's keeper?" In other words, when we see neighbors in need, what should our response be? If the townspeople had rallied sooner to intervene in the neglect of the children and the mental illness Isabelle, might tragedy have been averted? Discuss this idea in terms of the book, using citations from the book to prove your point.
This section contains 1,647 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)