|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the phrase from the letter Margaret has received that keeps running through Margaret's mind?
2. What is one overwhelming first impression of Vida Winter's house?
3. Why does Hester think she has seen a ghost?
4. The name of the house and estate where Vida Winter grew up (as Adeline) was called:
5. What is Margaret's least favorite month?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Isabelle leaves Angelfield for a short time, with whom did she return?
2. What makes Hester believe she is seeing a ghost?
3. List a few "odd" behaviors of the twins as they go about the countryside.
4. Who raises the twins?
5. When Margaret writes a card about Hester, what conclusion does she come to, and how does she act on this?
6. Describe why Hester and the doctor thought it might be important to separate the twins.
7. How does Margaret learn that she was a twin? Describe what she is doing and how she makes the discovery.
8. At one point in their first conversation, Margaret is uncomfortable and gets up to leave. What words of Vida Winter bring her back?
9. Explain why Hester leaves Angelfield so suddenly.
10. What happens to Mrs. Maudsley when she arrives at Angelfield to check on the twins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Should we be our "brother's keeper?" In other words, when we see neighbors in need, what should our response be? If the townspeople had rallied sooner to intervene in the neglect of the children and the mental illness Isabelle, might tragedy have been averted? Discuss this idea in terms of the book, using citations from the book to prove your point.
Essay Topic 2
How does Setterfield develop her characters? Pick one character that interests you and trace the changes this character makes. Use specific examples from the book .
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in this book struggle with depression. Identify the afflicted characters and discuss the behaviors of those characters which lead readers to imply that the depression is real. What factors for these characters might have led to this illness?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)