|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Winter's frankness and honesty create a strong first reaction in Margaret. Early in their first conversation, Margaret:
(a) Becomes angry at the way Winter treats her housekeeper, Judith.
(b) Begins crying with strong sadness at the first story she is told.
(c) Rises from her chair, and nearly exits the room.
(d) Is shocked by the sordid details of Winter's immoral past.
2. What is one overwhelming first impression of Vida Winter's house?
(a) An odd odor that reminds Margaret of a funeral home.
(b) It is entirely silent.
(c) The laughter of children.
(d) The fragrance of lilacs.
3. What odd behavior does Isabelle's father display in the early days of Isabelle's life?
(a) He becomes convinced people are stealing from him, so he becomes suspicious and miserly.
(b) He gallops horses up and down the moors, often in the moonlight.
(c) He refuses to come out of his room; he does not eat or sleep.
(d) He wanders the streets of the village at night, drunk.
4. Margaret says, "the hours between eight in the evening and one or two in the morning have always been my magic hours." What does she do during these hours?
(a) She has conversations with her mother and aunt which are always interesting and often humorous.
(b) She finds contentment and pride as she writes her stories.
(c) She enjoys the company of her friends in small tea shops around London.
(d) She reads through numerous books.
5. What is the disturbing event that take place between the two twins after Hester has left?
(a) Adeline attacks and harms Emmeline.
(b) It is implied that Charlie, their uncle, sexually abuses them.
(c) Emmeline attacks and harms Adeline.
(d) The girls become physically attracted to the same young man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a perambulator?
2. Hester has become quite well-read on what subject?
3. In their first interview, Winter reveals to Margaret a painful bit of her history earlier than she wanted to.
4. What peculiar record does Margaret find in an almanac about Charlie Angelfield?
5. How does Hester help the Missus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the suspicious cause of death concerning the ladder.
2. What happens when Margaret arrives at Vida Winter's house for the first time?
3. What lie does Adeline concoct about Charlie's whereabouts?
4. Contrast the difference in the way George Angelfield treats his two children.
5. What "big" life events happened on the nights that Mrs. Love turned a heel twice?
6. At one point in their first conversation, Margaret is uncomfortable and gets up to leave. What words of Vida Winter bring her back?
7. What makes Hester believe she is seeing a ghost?
8. Describe Judith, the housekeeper.
9. What does Margaret tell Aurelius, and what does he then ask of her?
10. Give two details of the scenery Margaret describes on her way to meet Vida Winter.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)