|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Margaret do when she hears a mysterious sound late at night?
(a) Walks out into the garden to investigate.
(b) Wakes up John-the-dig, and tells him to bring his gun.
(c) Goes to stay with Aurelius, her only friend.
(d) Confronts Ms. Winter and asks for the truth.
2. What does Hester do first when she arrives?
(a) Hires three new servants.
(b) Buys new drapes and furniture.
(c) Cleans the house.
(d) Claims she would stay only until a replacement could be found.
3. Why does Hester think she has seen a ghost?
(a) She sees lights on the moors and the faint shape of a woman on horseback.
(b) She hears singing coming from the library. When she enters, there is no one there, but the locked door is open.
(c) She sees the twins together, even though they are physically in two different places.
(d) She sees a woman in white three different times in the garden.
4. When Isabelle returns after being away for several months, she comes back with what or whom?
(a) An emerald ring that her father suspected was stolen.
(b) Two packages, which are two babies.
(c) A handsome husband.
(d) Her father's money from a bank in London.
5. What happens when the doctor tries to calm Hester after her "ghost sighting"?
(a) He hugs her, and they kiss.
(b) She only gets more upset and frightenend.
(c) He must give her a sedative, and she faints.
(d) She refuses his help, thinking he assumes she is weak.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets Margaret at the door of Miss Winter's house?
2. Vida Winter says she starts one book as soon as she finishes another because she is afraid to confront which person who keeps trying to get her attention?
3. After several days of interviewing Vida Winter, Margaret decides she must leave for a few days. Why?
4. Who is in the perambulator for the dangerous ride downhill?
5. Margaret insists that she must leave for how many days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Margaret's reaction to reading Vida Winter's books.
2. Describe why Hester and the doctor thought it might be important to separate the twins.
3. Describe Aurelius's inheritance.
4. How are the twins becoming different from each other under Hester's guidance?
5. What happens when Margaret arrives at Vida Winter's house for the first time?
6. List a few specific details about Vida Winter's appearance on Margaret's first meeting.
7. Give two details of the scenery Margaret describes on her way to meet Vida Winter.
8. What "big" life events happened on the nights that Mrs. Love turned a heel twice?
9. When Margaret writes a card about Hester, what conclusion does she come to, and how does she act on this?
10. Explain what Hester finds strange about Emmeline's use of pronouns.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)