|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The following is said about Vida Winter's appearance:
(a) She wears sunglasses, white makeup, red lipstick.
(b) She wears sunglasses, a bright pink scarf and white gloves.
(c) She wears expensive rings and a jeweled tiara.
(d) She wears expensive, colorful rings but is otherwise clothed in black.
2. Charlie, Isabelle's brother, is:
(a) Actually a step brother, and is older by twelve years.
(b) Her twin.
(c) Older than Isabelle, by nine years.
(d) Older than Isabelle, by only two years.
3. Who is in the perambulator for the dangerous ride downhill?
(b) Merrily's baby.
(c) The neighbor's dog.
4. How did Merrily get her name?
(a) When she was little, she sang the song called "Merrily, Happily, Longingly."
(b) Her parents named her Merrily.
(c) Her mother had a clear, contagious laugh.
(d) Her name was Mary Leigh, and she laughed often.
5. What item of Charles Dickens, the author, does Vida Winter discuss with Margaret?
(a) A forgotten manuscript by the famous author.
(b) A picture of Dickens with Vida Winter as a child.
(c) A picture of him with characters above his head.
(d) The exact desk which Dickens owned which Margaret is using to write.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Angelfield scheduled for demolition?
2. What odd behavior does Isabelle's father display in the early days of Isabelle's life?
3. What happens when the doctor tries to calm Hester after her "ghost sighting"?
4. After several weeks into the interview process, what sound does Margaret hear late at night?
5. Who meets Margaret at the door of Miss Winter's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give three adjectives that describe Hester.
2. Describe Judith, the housekeeper.
3. What makes Hester believe she is seeing a ghost?
4. Give two details of the scenery Margaret describes on her way to meet Vida Winter.
5. What happens when Margaret arrives at Vida Winter's house for the first time?
6. List a few "odd" behaviors of the twins as they go about the countryside.
7. At one point in their first conversation, Margaret is uncomfortable and gets up to leave. What words of Vida Winter bring her back?
8. Explain why Hester leaves Angelfield so suddenly.
9. How does Margaret learn that she was a twin? Describe what she is doing and how she makes the discovery.
10. Describe the contents of the letter which Margaret receives.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)