|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Hester consult for advice about the children?
(b) The village priest.
(c) A child psychologist from London.
(d) Dr. Maudsley.
2. The name of the house and estate where Vida Winter grew up (as Adeline) was called:
(c) Hanley Downs.
3. Why does Hester think she has seen a ghost?
(a) She sees lights on the moors and the faint shape of a woman on horseback.
(b) She hears singing coming from the library. When she enters, there is no one there, but the locked door is open.
(c) She sees a woman in white three different times in the garden.
(d) She sees the twins together, even though they are physically in two different places.
4. What pain does Margaret occasionally feel, especially at night?
(a) A burning sensation on her scars, left over from a fire.
(b) A pain in her side.
(d) Cramps in her hand, from writing so much.
5. Who or what startles Margaret in the ruins of the Angelfield house on her first day of exploration?
(a) The sound of a violin.
(b) A woman in white; Margaret calls to her, but the woman does not turn.
(c) Herself, in a mirror.
(d) The flapping wings of birds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merrily often do while she is hanging clothes or doing housework?
2. What is Margaret's opinion about Vida Winter's writing?
3. What physical feature on Vida Winter is distinctive?
4. The following can be said about the bookshop:
5. What is significant about the name of the author, Vida Winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who takes care of the unnamed child?
2. In what state is Charlie's room when John-the-dig breaks down the door?
3. When Hester arrives, she summons the twins, but they do not come. How does Hester handle this behavior?
4. What lie does Adeline concoct about Charlie's whereabouts?
5. What happens to Mrs. Maudsley when she arrives at Angelfield to check on the twins?
6. Why had Margaret's parents not told her about being a twin?
7. Describe the orientation of the Angelfield house.
8. What is Margaret hoping to find when she looks in Winter's collection of "Jane Eyre" books?
9. How are the twins becoming different from each other under Hester's guidance?
10. After Isabelle leaves Angelfield for a short time, with whom did she return?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)