|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What peculiar record does Margaret find in an almanac about Charlie Angelfield?
(a) He wrote a newspaper article about the hauntings of ghosts at Angelfield.
(b) He was declared legally dead.
(c) He died on the night that the twins were born, making WInter's story untrue.
(d) His death was recent, only two years before she met Ms. Winter.
2. What is peculiar about the many interviews given by Vida Winter?
(a) She finds it fun to make every reporter cry.
(b) She will never speak for more than thirty minutes.
(c) She has never told the truth about her life.
(d) She prides herself on her honesty, despite her painful past.
3. Hester has become quite well-read on what subject?
(a) The relationship and behavior of twins.
(b) The geneological history of the Angelfield family.
(c) The architecture of old English houses.
(d) The treatment of mental illness using leeches.
4. When Winter returns to the telling of her story, she talks of the village men asking for Dr. Maudsley's help with the twins. How does the doctor first attempt to solve the problem?
(a) He sends his wife to talk to the twin's mother.
(b) He, according to common practice of the time, uses leeches to try to clean their blood.
(c) He visits every day for two weeks and then gives up in failure.
(d) He diagnoses insanity and recommends that the twins be sent to an asylum.
5. Why is Angelfield scheduled for demolition?
(a) A hotel is to be built on the site.
(b) A golf course is to be built on the site.
(c) A small airport is to be built on the site.
(d) Kids like to play in the ruins, but the falling walls are dangerous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What process does Margaret use to write the biography?
2. What do Hester and John-the-dig argue about?
3. As Margaret settles into her bedroom on her first night in Vida Winter's house, she rearranges which aspect of the bedroom?
4. What odd behavior does Isabelle's father display in the early days of Isabelle's life?
5. What pain does Margaret occasionally feel, especially at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the incident of the baby and perambulator.
2. Relate the circumstances surrounding Isabelle's birth.
3. What information does Margaret find at the Banbury Herald? What information does she NOT find?
4. What makes Hester believe she is seeing a ghost?
5. List a few details that are used to describe Margaret's first impression of Vida Winter's house.
6. Describe the circumstances of the first meeting between Margaret and Aurelius.
7. Describe the contents of the letter which Margaret receives.
8. Who raises the twins?
9. List a few specific details about Vida Winter's appearance on Margaret's first meeting.
10. List a few "odd" behaviors of the twins as they go about the countryside.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)