|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Hester consult for advice about the children?
(b) Dr. Maudsley.
(c) A child psychologist from London.
(d) The village priest.
2. When Winter returns to the telling of her story, she talks of the village men asking for Dr. Maudsley's help with the twins. How does the doctor first attempt to solve the problem?
(a) He, according to common practice of the time, uses leeches to try to clean their blood.
(b) He sends his wife to talk to the twin's mother.
(c) He diagnoses insanity and recommends that the twins be sent to an asylum.
(d) He visits every day for two weeks and then gives up in failure.
3. In the first interview, Margaret asks for three bits of information. What is the response to this from Vida Winter?
(a) She refuses to answer Margaret, saying she (Ms. Winter) will tell the story on her terms.
(b) She laughs, saying that five is a better number.
(c) She refuses, and threatens to find another author.
(d) She gives many examples from stories about the importance of three.
4. How did Merrily get her name?
(a) Her parents named her Merrily.
(b) Her name was Mary Leigh, and she laughed often.
(c) Her mother had a clear, contagious laugh.
(d) When she was little, she sang the song called "Merrily, Happily, Longingly."
5. What do the children do that make John-the-Dig and Missus sad?
(a) They bully younger children.
(b) They destroy years of work in John-the-Digs's topiary garden.
(c) They destroy an entire apple tree right as it bloomed.
(d) They cut each other's hair, destroying their beautiful appearance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vida Winter is a prolific and well-known author. Besides her fame, what can be said about her physical appearance?
2. What does Merrily often do while she is hanging clothes or doing housework?
3. What is the first question Margaret asks Vida WInter?
4. What promise does Margaret ask of Winter before committing to the writing of her biography?
5. Where and with whom does Margaret Lea spend her days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances of the first meeting between Margaret and Aurelius.
2. List a few specific details about Vida Winter's appearance on Margaret's first meeting.
3. Relate the circumstances surrounding Isabelle's birth.
4. Relate a few ways that the bookstore contributed to Margaret's education.
5. When Margaret writes a card about Hester, what conclusion does she come to, and how does she act on this?
6. At one point in their first conversation, Margaret is uncomfortable and gets up to leave. What words of Vida Winter bring her back?
7. Contrast the difference in the way George Angelfield treats his two children.
8. What makes Hester believe she is seeing a ghost?
9. Describe the bookstore. Who were its main customers, and how was most of its income made?
10. Contrast the differences in Margaret's parents.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)