|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Hester consult for advice about the children?
(a) A child psychologist from London.
(b) Dr. Maudsley.
(c) The village priest.
2. Where does Margaret begin her research to verify the three parts of Ms. Winter's story?
(a) In London, at the National Library.
(b) At home, in her own bookshop.
(c) At Angelfield.
(d) In the Governmental Records Building.
3. What is one overwhelming first impression of Vida Winter's house?
(a) The laughter of children.
(b) The fragrance of lilacs.
(c) It is entirely silent.
(d) An odd odor that reminds Margaret of a funeral home.
4. What does Merrily often do while she is hanging clothes or doing housework?
(a) Sets her baby outside in her yard.
(b) Asks the Angelfield twins to babysit.
(c) Tells ghost stories that frighten the twins.
(d) Chats with Isabelle Angelfield.
5. Margaret realizes that this person may still be alive and could answer many questions about the twins' childhood. She writes a letter asking an investigator to find whom?
(d) Arurelius Love.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way did the bookstore help in Margaret's education?
2. What happens when the doctor tries to calm Hester after her "ghost sighting"?
3. What do the children do that make John-the-Dig and Missus sad?
4. What does the chapter title, "Box of Lives" refer to?
5. What item of Charles Dickens, the author, does Vida Winter discuss with Margaret?
Short Essay Questions
1. List a few specific details about Vida Winter's appearance on Margaret's first meeting.
2. Describe the circumstances of the first meeting between Margaret and Aurelius.
3. Describe the incident of the baby and perambulator.
4. Contrast the difference in the way George Angelfield treats his two children.
5. Contrast the differences in Margaret's parents.
6. List a few details that are used to describe Margaret's first impression of Vida Winter's house.
7. How does Margaret learn that she was a twin? Describe what she is doing and how she makes the discovery.
8. After Isabelle leaves Angelfield for a short time, with whom did she return?
9. At one point in their first conversation, Margaret is uncomfortable and gets up to leave. What words of Vida Winter bring her back?
10. Describe the contents of the letter which Margaret receives.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)