|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On her first night at Vida Winter's house, Margaret looks out into the night before going to bed. What does she see?
(a) Her reflection in the window.
(b) A faint, mysterious light moving along the moor.
(c) A night lit with bright stars.
(d) Total and complete darkness.
2. The following is said about Vida Winter's appearance:
(a) She wears sunglasses, a bright pink scarf and white gloves.
(b) She wears expensive, colorful rings but is otherwise clothed in black.
(c) She wears sunglasses, white makeup, red lipstick.
(d) She wears expensive rings and a jeweled tiara.
3. Who is in the perambulator for the dangerous ride downhill?
(b) The neighbor's dog.
(d) Merrily's baby.
4. What item of Charles Dickens, the author, does Vida Winter discuss with Margaret?
(a) A picture of him with characters above his head.
(b) A picture of Dickens with Vida Winter as a child.
(c) The exact desk which Dickens owned which Margaret is using to write.
(d) A forgotten manuscript by the famous author.
5. What does Hester typically do after cleaning a room in Angelfield?
(a) Lock the room.
(b) Invite the twins to see the difference.
(c) Take down all of the pictures.
(d) Spray a perfume with the fragrance of lavendar.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Isabelle returns after being away for several months, she comes back with what or whom?
2. How did Merrily get her name?
3. What causes Margaret to run out of Angelfield on her first visit there?
4. After several days of interviewing Vida Winter, Margaret decides she must leave for a few days. Why?
5. What does the chapter title, "Box of Lives" refer to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the twins becoming different from each other under Hester's guidance?
2. List a few "odd" behaviors of the twins as they go about the countryside.
3. What information does Margaret find at the Banbury Herald? What information does she NOT find?
4. Describe Margaret's reaction to reading Vida Winter's books.
5. Contrast the difference in the way George Angelfield treats his two children.
6. Describe why Hester and the doctor thought it might be important to separate the twins.
7. What happens when Margaret arrives at Vida Winter's house for the first time?
8. Describe the incident of the baby and perambulator.
9. Describe the bookstore. Who were its main customers, and how was most of its income made?
10. Describe the contents of the letter which Margaret receives.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)