|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Is the report of the Angelfield fire confirmed by the Banbury Herald newspaper?
(a) The fire was only in the barn, not in the main house.
(b) Apparently not. There was no mention of a fire at Anglefield.
(d) Perhaps. There was a fire, but not in the year Winter had reported.
2. Hester has become quite well-read on what subject?
(a) The treatment of mental illness using leeches.
(b) The relationship and behavior of twins.
(c) The architecture of old English houses.
(d) The geneological history of the Angelfield family.
3. What do the children do that make John-the-Dig and Missus sad?
(a) They cut each other's hair, destroying their beautiful appearance.
(b) They bully younger children.
(c) They destroy an entire apple tree right as it bloomed.
(d) They destroy years of work in John-the-Digs's topiary garden.
4. What is the phrase from the letter Margaret has received that keeps running through Margaret's mind?
(a) "I need to find myself."
(b) "Authors are liars."
(c) "Tell me the truth."
(d) "You alone can help me."
5. A woman in white used what to hurt a visitor to the Angelfield house?
(a) The cords of the heavy curtains.
(c) A fireplace poker.
(d) A violin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Merrily get her name?
2. In the first interview, Margaret asks for three bits of information. What is the response to this from Vida Winter?
3. When Ms. Winter is in pain, what is the metaphor she uses to describe this pain?
4. After several days of interviewing Vida Winter, Margaret decides she must leave for a few days. Why?
5. Who is Hester?
Short Essay Questions
1. At one point in their first conversation, Margaret is uncomfortable and gets up to leave. What words of Vida Winter bring her back?
2. After Isabelle leaves Angelfield for a short time, with whom did she return?
3. How are the twins becoming different from each other under Hester's guidance?
4. List a few specific details about Vida Winter's appearance on Margaret's first meeting.
5. What lie does Adeline concoct about Charlie's whereabouts?
6. When Margaret writes a card about Hester, what conclusion does she come to, and how does she act on this?
7. Describe Judith, the housekeeper.
8. Relate a few ways that the bookstore contributed to Margaret's education.
9. What makes Hester believe she is seeing a ghost?
10. List a few "odd" behaviors of the twins as they go about the countryside.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)