|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hester's lengthy conversation about the twins take place?
(a) On a boat, so that twins can not hear.
(b) In the library.
(c) In the twin's playroom.
(d) In the topiary garden.
2. What is one peculiar aspect of the twins?
(a) They are identical except for their hair color.
(b) The tear out their own hair.
(c) One laughs constantly; the other cries constantly.
(d) They speak in their own language.
3. What do the children do that make John-the-Dig and Missus sad?
(a) They bully younger children.
(b) They cut each other's hair, destroying their beautiful appearance.
(c) They destroy an entire apple tree right as it bloomed.
(d) They destroy years of work in John-the-Digs's topiary garden.
4. Charlie, Isabelle's brother, is:
(a) Actually a step brother, and is older by twelve years.
(b) Older than Isabelle, by nine years.
(c) Her twin.
(d) Older than Isabelle, by only two years.
5. Where does the first meeting between Margaret Lea and Vida Winter take place?
(a) On the moors, outside the house.
(b) In the kitchen.
(c) In Winter's library.
(d) In the hallway outside Margaret's bedroom, late at night.
Short Answer Questions
1. After several weeks into the interview process, what sound does Margaret hear late at night?
2. When she has trouble falling asleep the night after receiving the letter, what does Margaret do?
3. What is peculiar about the way Margaret must read "The Thirteen Tales?'
4. What does Hester typically do after cleaning a room in Angelfield?
5. What does Merrily often do while she is hanging clothes or doing housework?
Short Essay Questions
1. Contrast the differences in Margaret's parents.
2. How does Margaret learn that she was a twin? Describe what she is doing and how she makes the discovery.
3. How are the twins becoming different from each other under Hester's guidance?
4. Describe Margaret's reaction to reading Vida Winter's books.
5. What happens when Margaret arrives at Vida Winter's house for the first time?
6. List a few "odd" behaviors of the twins as they go about the countryside.
7. Describe Vida Winter's reaction to Margaret 's short leave of absence.
8. What happens to Mrs. Maudsley when she arrives at Angelfield to check on the twins?
9. What makes Hester believe she is seeing a ghost?
10. Explain why Hester leaves Angelfield so suddenly.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)