|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who meets Margaret at the door of Miss Winter's house?
(a) Miss Winter, herself.
(b) Judith, the housekeeper.
(c) A young child who holds a large black dog on a leash.
(d) A cranky, impolite butler named Jansen.
2. What physical feature on Vida Winter is distinctive?
(a) She walks with a pronounced limp; one leg is signicantly shorter than the other.
(b) Her left arm has three burn marks; a cross-like symbol marks her, not unlike a brand.
(c) Her hair is a deep black except for thick streaks of silver and white.
(d) Her hand is badly scarred from fire; a mark like a Q was also embedded in the scar.
3. What odd behavior does Isabelle's father display in the early days of Isabelle's life?
(a) He becomes convinced people are stealing from him, so he becomes suspicious and miserly.
(b) He gallops horses up and down the moors, often in the moonlight.
(c) He wanders the streets of the village at night, drunk.
(d) He refuses to come out of his room; he does not eat or sleep.
4. What is the disturbing event that take place between the two twins after Hester has left?
(a) Adeline attacks and harms Emmeline.
(b) Emmeline attacks and harms Adeline.
(c) It is implied that Charlie, their uncle, sexually abuses them.
(d) The girls become physically attracted to the same young man.
5. What does Hester do first when she arrives?
(a) Claims she would stay only until a replacement could be found.
(b) Hires three new servants.
(c) Buys new drapes and furniture.
(d) Cleans the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a perambulator?
2. Where does Hester's lengthy conversation about the twins take place?
3. Vida Winter says she starts one book as soon as she finishes another because she is afraid to confront which person who keeps trying to get her attention?
4. What causes Margaret to run out of Angelfield on her first visit there?
5. What does John -the-Dig do at Angelfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mrs. Maudsley when she arrives at Angelfield to check on the twins?
2. List several details of Angelfield when Mrs. Maudsley first enters.
3. After finding Charlie, where does Adeline immediately go, and what does she do?
4. Who is the unnamed child's father?
5. After the strange discovery of human remains at Angelfield, why does Margaret go to see Mr. Lomax?
6. After Isabelle leaves Angelfield for a short time, with whom did she return?
7. Describe Vida Winter's reaction to Margaret 's short leave of absence.
8. Describe Judith, the housekeeper.
9. Who raises the twins?
10. Describe what Margaret hears in the night soon after she arrives at the Winter house, and what she does when she hears this sound.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)