|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Hester and John-the-dig argue about?
(a) A mysterious child who is seen on the property.
(b) His insistence that Isabelle should return to Angelfield.
(c) His refusal to lock the gate.
(d) His strange habit of humming as he strolls the grounds after midnight.
2. The following adjectives best describe Charlie as a child:
(a) Athletic, handsome, mean.
(b) Not-bright, sickly, kind.
(c) Smart, sullen, stubborn.
(d) Neglected, violent, mean.
3. How many different (untrue) versions of her life has Ms. Winter told to reporters and interviewers?
(a) Zero. She has only told the truth about herself.
4. On her first night at Vida Winter's house, Margaret looks out into the night before going to bed. What does she see?
(a) A night lit with bright stars.
(b) Total and complete darkness.
(c) A faint, mysterious light moving along the moor.
(d) Her reflection in the window.
5. What is peculiar about the many interviews given by Vida Winter?
(a) She has never told the truth about her life.
(b) She prides herself on her honesty, despite her painful past.
(c) She will never speak for more than thirty minutes.
(d) She finds it fun to make every reporter cry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the first meeting between Margaret Lea and Vida Winter take place?
2. Why is Angelfield scheduled for demolition?
3. When she has trouble falling asleep the night after receiving the letter, what does Margaret do?
4. Who meets Margaret at the door of Miss Winter's house?
5. What is Margaret's opinion about Vida Winter's writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Relate the circumstances surrounding Isabelle's birth.
2. Explain why Hester leaves Angelfield so suddenly.
3. List a few "odd" behaviors of the twins as they go about the countryside.
4. Describe Margaret's reaction to reading Vida Winter's books.
5. Describe Judith, the housekeeper.
6. Describe the incident of the baby and perambulator.
7. List a few specific details about Vida Winter's appearance on Margaret's first meeting.
8. Describe Vida Winter's reaction to Margaret 's short leave of absence.
9. Relate a few ways that the bookstore contributed to Margaret's education.
10. Describe what Margaret hears in the night soon after she arrives at the Winter house, and what she does when she hears this sound.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)