|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is peculiar about the many interviews given by Vida Winter?
(a) She will never speak for more than thirty minutes.
(b) She finds it fun to make every reporter cry.
(c) She has never told the truth about her life.
(d) She prides herself on her honesty, despite her painful past.
2. What is one peculiar aspect of the twins?
(a) They are identical except for their hair color.
(b) The tear out their own hair.
(c) One laughs constantly; the other cries constantly.
(d) They speak in their own language.
3. Hester 's and the doctor's actions result in what consequences?
(a) When they solve the ghost mystery, the town begins to like Hester.
(b) The doctor is proud of her work, and the experiment has been successful.
(c) Hester leaves Angelfield and the town immediately.
(d) She is able to publish her article.
4. What does Merrily often do while she is hanging clothes or doing housework?
(a) Chats with Isabelle Angelfield.
(b) Sets her baby outside in her yard.
(c) Asks the Angelfield twins to babysit.
(d) Tells ghost stories that frighten the twins.
5. When Vida Winter cries out a name, Margaret realizes that she and Winter have something in common. What is it?
(a) They are related; both share a common ancestor.
(b) They have both studied spells of "dark arts" from the 13th century.
(c) They both grieve the loss of a twin.
(d) Neither had a happy childhood because of an emotionless mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hester help the Missus?
2. What item of Charles Dickens, the author, does Vida Winter discuss with Margaret?
3. Who else participates in the"experiment" of Hester and the doctor?
4. What process does Margaret use to write the biography?
5. What do the children do that make John-the-Dig and Missus sad?
Short Essay Questions
1. List a few details that are used to describe Margaret's first impression of Vida Winter's house.
2. List several details of Angelfield when Mrs. Maudsley first enters.
3. Describe how the fire started.
4. Relate a few ways that the bookstore contributed to Margaret's education.
5. Describe Aurelius's inheritance.
6. What news brings Aurelius much joy?
7. Explain why Hester leaves Angelfield so suddenly.
8. When Margaret writes a card about Hester, what conclusion does she come to, and how does she act on this?
9. Describe the bookstore. Who were its main customers, and how was most of its income made?
10. How does Adeline begin to confuse people about which twin is which?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)