|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is significant about the name of the author, Vida Winter?
(a) "Vida" comes from the same root word as "vitality," meaning life.
(b) The former owner of the bookstore was named Jacob Winter.
(c) It is clearly a pen name, and her real name is a mystery.
(d) It is the same name as her father's relative.
2. What does Hester typically do after cleaning a room in Angelfield?
(a) Lock the room.
(b) Invite the twins to see the difference.
(c) Spray a perfume with the fragrance of lavendar.
(d) Take down all of the pictures.
3. Hester 's and the doctor's actions result in what consequences?
(a) Hester leaves Angelfield and the town immediately.
(b) When they solve the ghost mystery, the town begins to like Hester.
(c) She is able to publish her article.
(d) The doctor is proud of her work, and the experiment has been successful.
4. What is the landscape like on the trip north to Vida Winter's house?
(a) The moors; green rolling hills, quaint villages, remote wilderness.
(b) After a drive through a scenic green countryside, Winters' lush flower gardens were a pleasant surprise.
(c) First a large city with urban sprawl, then finally to a old mansion in the countryside.
(d) Icy winds and snow slowed her travel; Margaret was nearly frozen when she arrived the next morning.
5. In what way did the bookstore help in Margaret's education?
(a) Margaret's mother read to her for hours as they worked in the shop.
(b) The fascinating people that entered the store taught her about the world.
(c) She first learned her alphabet because the books were in alphabetical order.
(d) Margaret's favorite teachers came in and spent extra hours tutoring her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Margaret realizes that this person may still be alive and could answer many questions about the twins' childhood. She writes a letter asking an investigator to find whom?
2. Who meets Margaret at the door of Miss Winter's house?
3. In the beginning of the book, who has sent Margaret a surprising letter?
4. Who is Mr. Lomax?
5. What is one overwhelming first impression of Vida Winter's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the bookstore. Who were its main customers, and how was most of its income made?
2. What makes Hester believe she is seeing a ghost?
3. Describe Vida Winter's reaction to Margaret 's short leave of absence.
4. Relate the circumstances surrounding Isabelle's birth.
5. Relate a few ways that the bookstore contributed to Margaret's education.
6. Describe the circumstances of the first meeting between Margaret and Aurelius.
7. Describe Margaret's reaction to reading Vida Winter's books.
8. At one point in their first conversation, Margaret is uncomfortable and gets up to leave. What words of Vida Winter bring her back?
9. Give two details of the scenery Margaret describes on her way to meet Vida Winter.
10. After Isabelle leaves Angelfield for a short time, with whom did she return?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)