|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the first interview, Margaret asks for three bits of information. What is the response to this from Vida Winter?
(a) She laughs, saying that five is a better number.
(b) She gives many examples from stories about the importance of three.
(c) She refuses, and threatens to find another author.
(d) She refuses to answer Margaret, saying she (Ms. Winter) will tell the story on her terms.
2. After several weeks into the interview process, what sound does Margaret hear late at night?
(a) Someone calling her name.
(b) Wolves howling on the moors.
(c) Someone singing long, erratic, notes of music.
(d) A child crying.
3. With whom does Hester seems to be making some positive impact?
4. When Ms. Winter is in pain, what is the metaphor she uses to describe this pain?
(a) A wolf.
(b) A tiger.
(c) A storm with brutal winds.
(d) A curtain that suffocates her.
5. Where does the first meeting between Margaret Lea and Vida Winter take place?
(a) In the hallway outside Margaret's bedroom, late at night.
(b) On the moors, outside the house.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) In Winter's library.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hester has become quite well-read on what subject?
2. When Vida Winter cries out a name, Margaret realizes that she and Winter have something in common. What is it?
3. What do Hester and John-the-dig argue about?
4. Who is in the perambulator for the dangerous ride downhill?
5. What item of Charles Dickens, the author, does Vida Winter discuss with Margaret?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Vida Winter's reaction to Margaret 's short leave of absence.
2. Describe the bookstore. Who were its main customers, and how was most of its income made?
3. What happens to Mrs. Maudsley when she arrives at Angelfield to check on the twins?
4. Contrast the differences in Margaret's parents.
5. Give three adjectives that describe Hester.
6. How are the twins becoming different from each other under Hester's guidance?
7. Describe what Margaret hears in the night soon after she arrives at the Winter house, and what she does when she hears this sound.
8. Who raises the twins?
9. List a few specific details about Vida Winter's appearance on Margaret's first meeting.
10. List a few "odd" behaviors of the twins as they go about the countryside.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)