|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is significant about the name of the author, Vida Winter?
(a) It is clearly a pen name, and her real name is a mystery.
(b) "Vida" comes from the same root word as "vitality," meaning life.
(c) It is the same name as her father's relative.
(d) The former owner of the bookstore was named Jacob Winter.
2. What is peculiar about the many interviews given by Vida Winter?
(a) She has never told the truth about her life.
(b) She will never speak for more than thirty minutes.
(c) She prides herself on her honesty, despite her painful past.
(d) She finds it fun to make every reporter cry.
3. The following can be said about the bookshop:
(a) All of the answers are true.
(b) Most of the store's income is gained through rare book transactions.
(c) Students come to sell and resell textbooks.
(d) There are seven rooms of used books.
4. What does Margaret do when she hears a mysterious sound late at night?
(a) Goes to stay with Aurelius, her only friend.
(b) Walks out into the garden to investigate.
(c) Confronts Ms. Winter and asks for the truth.
(d) Wakes up John-the-dig, and tells him to bring his gun.
5. What does Aurelius Love bring to Margaret after she falls?
(a) A cup of tea and some cake.
(b) A photograph.
(c) Bandages and crutches.
(d) A golf cart so she would not have to walk on her sore foot.
Short Answer Questions
1. On her first night at Vida Winter's house, Margaret looks out into the night before going to bed. What does she see?
2. What is a perambulator?
3. Why is Angelfield scheduled for demolition?
4. What is one distinctive feature about Angelfield when Margaret first explores it?
5. What is the phrase from the letter Margaret has received that keeps running through Margaret's mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe why Hester and the doctor thought it might be important to separate the twins.
2. List a few specific details about Vida Winter's appearance on Margaret's first meeting.
3. Describe Vida Winter's reaction to Margaret 's short leave of absence.
4. Describe the incident of the baby and perambulator.
5. Relate a few ways that the bookstore contributed to Margaret's education.
6. What happens to Mrs. Maudsley when she arrives at Angelfield to check on the twins?
7. What information does Margaret find at the Banbury Herald? What information does she NOT find?
8. How are the twins becoming different from each other under Hester's guidance?
9. Give three adjectives that describe Hester.
10. What happens when Margaret arrives at Vida Winter's house for the first time?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)