|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the first interview, Margaret asks for three bits of information. What is the response to this from Vida Winter?
(a) She gives many examples from stories about the importance of three.
(b) She laughs, saying that five is a better number.
(c) She refuses, and threatens to find another author.
(d) She refuses to answer Margaret, saying she (Ms. Winter) will tell the story on her terms.
2. Winter's frankness and honesty create a strong first reaction in Margaret. Early in their first conversation, Margaret:
(a) Rises from her chair, and nearly exits the room.
(b) Is shocked by the sordid details of Winter's immoral past.
(c) Begins crying with strong sadness at the first story she is told.
(d) Becomes angry at the way Winter treats her housekeeper, Judith.
3. Who meets Margaret at the door of Miss Winter's house?
(a) Judith, the housekeeper.
(b) Miss Winter, herself.
(c) A cranky, impolite butler named Jansen.
(d) A young child who holds a large black dog on a leash.
4. In the beginning of the book, who has sent Margaret a surprising letter?
(a) Vida Winter, an author.
(b) Margaret's twin, separated from Margaret for years.
(c) The manager of Vida Winter's estate.
(d) Vida Winter's daughter.
5. What is the disturbing event that take place between the two twins after Hester has left?
(a) It is implied that Charlie, their uncle, sexually abuses them.
(b) Adeline attacks and harms Emmeline.
(c) Emmeline attacks and harms Adeline.
(d) The girls become physically attracted to the same young man.
Short Answer Questions
1. On her first night at Vida Winter's house, Margaret looks out into the night before going to bed. What does she see?
2. Where does Hester's lengthy conversation about the twins take place?
3. What is a perambulator?
4. With whom does Hester seems to be making some positive impact?
5. When Winter returns to the telling of her story, she talks of the village men asking for Dr. Maudsley's help with the twins. How does the doctor first attempt to solve the problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances of the first meeting between Margaret and Aurelius.
2. Describe why Hester and the doctor thought it might be important to separate the twins.
3. Describe the incident of the baby and perambulator.
4. Explain why Hester leaves Angelfield so suddenly.
5. Give two details of the scenery Margaret describes on her way to meet Vida Winter.
6. Relate a few ways that the bookstore contributed to Margaret's education.
7. What happens when Margaret arrives at Vida Winter's house for the first time?
8. Contrast the differences in Margaret's parents.
9. How are the twins becoming different from each other under Hester's guidance?
10. Describe the contents of the letter which Margaret receives.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)