|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is in the perambulator for the dangerous ride downhill?
(b) The neighbor's dog.
(d) Merrily's baby.
2. What is the first question Margaret asks Vida WInter?
(a) Whether Winter is terminally ill and fears death will end her life soon.
(b) Her real name.
(c) What happened to the (missing) thirteenth story in her first book.
(d) An explanation about the rumor that her house is haunted.
3. What is one distinctive feature about Angelfield when Margaret first explores it?
(a) There are beautiful stained glass windows.
(b) It is in perfect shape except for a few broken windows.
(c) There is no roof.
(d) Two black cats dart in and out of her vision as she walks the grounds.
4. When she has trouble falling asleep the night after receiving the letter, what does Margaret do?
(a) She wakes up her mother and makes her talk about her twin.
(b) She decides to try one of the "dark spells" she has read about earlier in the day.
(c) She takes a rare book from the shop and begins to read it.
(d) She reads everything she can about twins.
5. Who meets Margaret at the door of Miss Winter's house?
(a) A young child who holds a large black dog on a leash.
(b) Judith, the housekeeper.
(c) A cranky, impolite butler named Jansen.
(d) Miss Winter, herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way did the bookstore help in Margaret's education?
2. The following adjectives best describe Charlie as a child:
3. When Ms. Winter is in pain, what is the metaphor she uses to describe this pain?
4. What does Hester typically do after cleaning a room in Angelfield?
5. What is the landscape like on the trip north to Vida Winter's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances of the first meeting between Margaret and Aurelius.
2. Relate a few ways that the bookstore contributed to Margaret's education.
3. Describe Judith, the housekeeper.
4. How does Margaret learn that she was a twin? Describe what she is doing and how she makes the discovery.
5. After Isabelle leaves Angelfield for a short time, with whom did she return?
6. Describe why Hester and the doctor thought it might be important to separate the twins.
7. When Hester arrives, she summons the twins, but they do not come. How does Hester handle this behavior?
8. Describe Margaret's reaction to reading Vida Winter's books.
9. Give two details of the scenery Margaret describes on her way to meet Vida Winter.
10. Describe Vida Winter's reaction to Margaret 's short leave of absence.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)