|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Winter's frankness and honesty create a strong first reaction in Margaret. Early in their first conversation, Margaret:
(a) Rises from her chair, and nearly exits the room.
(b) Becomes angry at the way Winter treats her housekeeper, Judith.
(c) Is shocked by the sordid details of Winter's immoral past.
(d) Begins crying with strong sadness at the first story she is told.
2. After several days of interviewing Vida Winter, Margaret decides she must leave for a few days. Why?
(a) She is concerned about her sick mother.
(b) She wants to verify the three facts told to her by Vida Winter.
(c) She needs to ask her father his advice about the writing of the book.
(d) She is homesick and wants to visit her family and friends.
3. How many different (untrue) versions of her life has Ms. Winter told to reporters and interviewers?
(d) Zero. She has only told the truth about herself.
4. What is surprising about the appearance of the letter for Margaret?
(a) It is handwritten by a person who is either a child or an invalid.
(b) Margaret's name is mispelled, and there is no return address.
(c) The type is faint and barely recognizable.
(d) Each line is in a new color of ink.
5. Who or what startles Margaret in the ruins of the Angelfield house on her first day of exploration?
(a) Herself, in a mirror.
(b) A woman in white; Margaret calls to her, but the woman does not turn.
(c) The sound of a violin.
(d) The flapping wings of birds.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hester help the Missus?
2. Whom does Hester consult for advice about the children?
3. Vida Winter is reluctant to let Margaret leave for a few days. Why?
4. When Ms. Winter is in pain, what is the metaphor she uses to describe this pain?
5. Where does the first meeting between Margaret Lea and Vida Winter take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Hester arrives, she summons the twins, but they do not come. How does Hester handle this behavior?
2. What happens when Margaret arrives at Vida Winter's house for the first time?
3. Describe Margaret's reaction to reading Vida Winter's books.
4. Give three adjectives that describe Hester.
5. List a few "odd" behaviors of the twins as they go about the countryside.
6. List a few details that are used to describe Margaret's first impression of Vida Winter's house.
7. Describe what Margaret hears in the night soon after she arrives at the Winter house, and what she does when she hears this sound.
8. Describe the contents of the letter which Margaret receives.
9. Describe the orientation of the Angelfield house.
10. What happens to Mrs. Maudsley when she arrives at Angelfield to check on the twins?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)