|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the chapter title, "Box of Lives" refer to?
(a) Margaret keeps a 3x5 card on many people, and she keepst these cards in a box.
(b) Winter keeps many items from her past in a safe in her bedroom; she finally shows the box to Margaret.
(c) Margaret finds an old box near the ruins of the old church.
(d) Vida Winter says she keeps "opening up the box" to reveal the secrets of her past.
2. What promise does Margaret ask of Winter before committing to the writing of her biography?
(a) Winter must let them write outside in the garden, in the flowers.
(b) Margaret must be allowed to have freedom to come and go from the house.
(c) Winter must be willing to offer editing and writing advice for Margaret's own writing.
(d) Winter must tell Margaret three facts that can be validated in public record.
3. Vida Winter is a prolific and well-known author. Besides her fame, what can be said about her physical appearance?
(a) Her hair is long, often braided, and nearly black.
(b) She is surprisingly tall, lean, and fit for a woman of age 75.
(c) She is old, but very beautiful.
(d) Her body is shriveled with arthritis; she is severely stooped.
4. When Isabelle returns after being away for several months, she comes back with what or whom?
(a) Two packages, which are two babies.
(b) A handsome husband.
(c) An emerald ring that her father suspected was stolen.
(d) Her father's money from a bank in London.
5. What experiment (for research's sake) do Hester and the doctor carry out?
(a) Isolation and starvation as treatment for mental ilness.
(b) Using bribery to entice Charlie to leave Angelfield.
(c) Shock treament for mental illness.
(d) The separation of Angeline and Emmeline.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where and with whom does Margaret Lea spend her days?
2. The following adjectives best describe Charlie as a child:
3. When she learns the truth about being a twin, Margaret feels:
4. How many different (untrue) versions of her life has Ms. Winter told to reporters and interviewers?
5. After several weeks into the interview process, what sound does Margaret hear late at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Judith, the housekeeper.
2. What happens to Mrs. Maudsley when she arrives at Angelfield to check on the twins?
3. Who raises the twins?
4. List a few "odd" behaviors of the twins as they go about the countryside.
5. Give three adjectives that describe Hester.
6. At one point in their first conversation, Margaret is uncomfortable and gets up to leave. What words of Vida Winter bring her back?
7. Describe the orientation of the Angelfield house.
8. Describe the contents of the letter which Margaret receives.
9. What happens when Margaret arrives at Vida Winter's house for the first time?
10. Explain why Hester leaves Angelfield so suddenly.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)