|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hester help the Missus?
(a) She takes over all the cooking.
(b) She helps improve the Missus's eyesight.
(c) She brings the Missus's sister to visit.
(d) She gives her the money needed to pay for her sister's funeral.
2. Where does Margaret begin her research to verify the three parts of Ms. Winter's story?
(a) In London, at the National Library.
(b) At home, in her own bookshop.
(c) In the Governmental Records Building.
(d) At Angelfield.
3. What does the chapter title, "Box of Lives" refer to?
(a) Winter keeps many items from her past in a safe in her bedroom; she finally shows the box to Margaret.
(b) Margaret finds an old box near the ruins of the old church.
(c) Margaret keeps a 3x5 card on many people, and she keepst these cards in a box.
(d) Vida Winter says she keeps "opening up the box" to reveal the secrets of her past.
4. In the first interview, Margaret asks for three bits of information. What is the response to this from Vida Winter?
(a) She refuses, and threatens to find another author.
(b) She laughs, saying that five is a better number.
(c) She refuses to answer Margaret, saying she (Ms. Winter) will tell the story on her terms.
(d) She gives many examples from stories about the importance of three.
5. What is a perambulator?
(a) A baby carriage, or stroller.
(b) A heater which uses water.
(c) An early kind of phonograph or music player.
(d) A constable ( police officer).
Short Answer Questions
1. What is surprising about the appearance of the letter for Margaret?
2. What is the proof Margaret sees to prove she was a twin?
3. What peculiar record does Margaret find in an almanac about Charlie Angelfield?
4. What is the landscape like on the trip north to Vida Winter's house?
5. What causes Margaret to run out of Angelfield on her first visit there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the orientation of the Angelfield house.
2. List a few specific details about Vida Winter's appearance on Margaret's first meeting.
3. What makes Hester believe she is seeing a ghost?
4. Who raises the twins?
5. List several details of Angelfield when Mrs. Maudsley first enters.
6. Describe the circumstances of the first meeting between Margaret and Aurelius.
7. Describe Vida Winter's reaction to Margaret 's short leave of absence.
8. When Margaret writes a card about Hester, what conclusion does she come to, and how does she act on this?
9. What information does Margaret find at the Banbury Herald? What information does she NOT find?
10. When Hester arrives, she summons the twins, but they do not come. How does Hester handle this behavior?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)