|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way did the bookstore help in Margaret's education?
(a) Margaret's favorite teachers came in and spent extra hours tutoring her.
(b) Margaret's mother read to her for hours as they worked in the shop.
(c) The fascinating people that entered the store taught her about the world.
(d) She first learned her alphabet because the books were in alphabetical order.
2. Why is Angelfield scheduled for demolition?
(a) A golf course is to be built on the site.
(b) A small airport is to be built on the site.
(c) A hotel is to be built on the site.
(d) Kids like to play in the ruins, but the falling walls are dangerous.
3. What is peculiar about the many interviews given by Vida Winter?
(a) She will never speak for more than thirty minutes.
(b) She has never told the truth about her life.
(c) She prides herself on her honesty, despite her painful past.
(d) She finds it fun to make every reporter cry.
4. What physical feature on Vida Winter is distinctive?
(a) Her hand is badly scarred from fire; a mark like a Q was also embedded in the scar.
(b) Her hair is a deep black except for thick streaks of silver and white.
(c) She walks with a pronounced limp; one leg is signicantly shorter than the other.
(d) Her left arm has three burn marks; a cross-like symbol marks her, not unlike a brand.
5. In the first interview, Margaret asks for three bits of information. What is the response to this from Vida Winter?
(a) She laughs, saying that five is a better number.
(b) She refuses, and threatens to find another author.
(c) She gives many examples from stories about the importance of three.
(d) She refuses to answer Margaret, saying she (Ms. Winter) will tell the story on her terms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merrily often do while she is hanging clothes or doing housework?
2. What happens to Roland, Isabelle's husband?
3. When Winter returns to the telling of her story, she talks of the village men asking for Dr. Maudsley's help with the twins. How does the doctor first attempt to solve the problem?
4. Whom does Hester consult for advice about the children?
5. Margaret receives a letter from her father with something enclosed. What is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the orientation of the Angelfield house.
2. What happens to Mrs. Maudsley when she arrives at Angelfield to check on the twins?
3. Explain why Hester leaves Angelfield so suddenly.
4. What makes Hester believe she is seeing a ghost?
5. How are the twins becoming different from each other under Hester's guidance?
6. List a few specific details about Vida Winter's appearance on Margaret's first meeting.
7. List a few details that are used to describe Margaret's first impression of Vida Winter's house.
8. Who raises the twins?
9. List several details of Angelfield when Mrs. Maudsley first enters.
10. Relate the circumstances surrounding Isabelle's birth.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)