|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Margaret says, "the hours between eight in the evening and one or two in the morning have always been my magic hours." What does she do during these hours?
(a) She reads through numerous books.
(b) She has conversations with her mother and aunt which are always interesting and often humorous.
(c) She enjoys the company of her friends in small tea shops around London.
(d) She finds contentment and pride as she writes her stories.
2. Who is Hester?
(a) Charlie's new wife.
(b) The deacon's wife, sent to help the twins.
(c) A neighbor who becomes the twin's friend.
(d) The children's new governess.
3. What does Margaret do when she hears a mysterious sound late at night?
(a) Wakes up John-the-dig, and tells him to bring his gun.
(b) Goes to stay with Aurelius, her only friend.
(c) Confronts Ms. Winter and asks for the truth.
(d) Walks out into the garden to investigate.
4. When she has trouble falling asleep the night after receiving the letter, what does Margaret do?
(a) She takes a rare book from the shop and begins to read it.
(b) She reads everything she can about twins.
(c) She wakes up her mother and makes her talk about her twin.
(d) She decides to try one of the "dark spells" she has read about earlier in the day.
5. The following is said about Vida Winter's appearance:
(a) She wears sunglasses, a bright pink scarf and white gloves.
(b) She wears expensive, colorful rings but is otherwise clothed in black.
(c) She wears sunglasses, white makeup, red lipstick.
(d) She wears expensive rings and a jeweled tiara.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Hester seems to be making some positive impact?
2. Why does the roof at Angelfield get worse soon after Hester leaves?
3. Who meets Margaret at the door of Miss Winter's house?
4. What is one distinctive feature about Angelfield when Margaret first explores it?
5. What is the disturbing event that take place between the two twins after Hester has left?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Hester believe she is seeing a ghost?
2. Describe the incident of the baby and perambulator.
3. List a few "odd" behaviors of the twins as they go about the countryside.
4. Relate the circumstances surrounding Isabelle's birth.
5. Give two details of the scenery Margaret describes on her way to meet Vida Winter.
6. Describe why Hester and the doctor thought it might be important to separate the twins.
7. At one point in their first conversation, Margaret is uncomfortable and gets up to leave. What words of Vida Winter bring her back?
8. When Hester arrives, she summons the twins, but they do not come. How does Hester handle this behavior?
9. Describe the contents of the letter which Margaret receives.
10. After Isabelle leaves Angelfield for a short time, with whom did she return?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)