|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the disturbing event that take place between the two twins after Hester has left?
(a) Adeline attacks and harms Emmeline.
(b) The girls become physically attracted to the same young man.
(c) Emmeline attacks and harms Adeline.
(d) It is implied that Charlie, their uncle, sexually abuses them.
2. On her first night at Vida Winter's house, Margaret looks out into the night before going to bed. What does she see?
(a) Total and complete darkness.
(b) A night lit with bright stars.
(c) A faint, mysterious light moving along the moor.
(d) Her reflection in the window.
3. Who is Hester?
(a) The children's new governess.
(b) Charlie's new wife.
(c) The deacon's wife, sent to help the twins.
(d) A neighbor who becomes the twin's friend.
4. Who or what startles Margaret in the ruins of the Angelfield house on her first day of exploration?
(a) Herself, in a mirror.
(b) A woman in white; Margaret calls to her, but the woman does not turn.
(c) The flapping wings of birds.
(d) The sound of a violin.
5. What pain does Margaret occasionally feel, especially at night?
(a) A burning sensation on her scars, left over from a fire.
(c) Cramps in her hand, from writing so much.
(d) A pain in her side.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merrily often do while she is hanging clothes or doing housework?
2. Why does Hester think she has seen a ghost?
3. When she has trouble falling asleep the night after receiving the letter, what does Margaret do?
4. What is a perambulator?
5. Where and with whom does Margaret Lea spend her days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the incident of the baby and perambulator.
2. Describe the circumstances of the first meeting between Margaret and Aurelius.
3. Give two details of the scenery Margaret describes on her way to meet Vida Winter.
4. At one point in their first conversation, Margaret is uncomfortable and gets up to leave. What words of Vida Winter bring her back?
5. When Margaret writes a card about Hester, what conclusion does she come to, and how does she act on this?
6. Relate the circumstances surrounding Isabelle's birth.
7. Describe Vida Winter's reaction to Margaret 's short leave of absence.
8. List a few "odd" behaviors of the twins as they go about the countryside.
9. List a few details that are used to describe Margaret's first impression of Vida Winter's house.
10. Describe the orientation of the Angelfield house.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)