|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of the book, who has sent Margaret a surprising letter?
(a) Vida Winter, an author.
(b) The manager of Vida Winter's estate.
(c) Margaret's twin, separated from Margaret for years.
(d) Vida Winter's daughter.
2. When Ms. Winter is in pain, what is the metaphor she uses to describe this pain?
(a) A curtain that suffocates her.
(b) A tiger.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A storm with brutal winds.
3. When Vida Winter cries out a name, Margaret realizes that she and Winter have something in common. What is it?
(a) They are related; both share a common ancestor.
(b) Neither had a happy childhood because of an emotionless mother.
(c) They have both studied spells of "dark arts" from the 13th century.
(d) They both grieve the loss of a twin.
4. What is the phrase from the letter Margaret has received that keeps running through Margaret's mind?
(a) "You alone can help me."
(b) "I need to find myself."
(c) "Authors are liars."
(d) "Tell me the truth."
5. Who else participates in the"experiment" of Hester and the doctor?
(a) The doctor's wife.
(b) Hester's friend, Samuel.
Short Answer Questions
1. The following adjectives best describe Charlie as a child:
2. Margaret insists that she must leave for how many days?
3. What happens when the doctor tries to calm Hester after her "ghost sighting"?
4. Vida Winter says she starts one book as soon as she finishes another because she is afraid to confront which person who keeps trying to get her attention?
5. Hester 's and the doctor's actions result in what consequences?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Margaret's reaction to reading Vida Winter's books.
2. List a few details that are used to describe Margaret's first impression of Vida Winter's house.
3. Explain why Hester leaves Angelfield so suddenly.
4. Contrast the differences in Margaret's parents.
5. How does Margaret learn that she was a twin? Describe what she is doing and how she makes the discovery.
6. What happens when Margaret arrives at Vida Winter's house for the first time?
7. Describe why Hester and the doctor thought it might be important to separate the twins.
8. When Margaret writes a card about Hester, what conclusion does she come to, and how does she act on this?
9. What information does Margaret find at the Banbury Herald? What information does she NOT find?
10. Relate the circumstances surrounding Isabelle's birth.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)