|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What peculiar record does Margaret find in an almanac about Charlie Angelfield?
(a) He died on the night that the twins were born, making WInter's story untrue.
(b) He wrote a newspaper article about the hauntings of ghosts at Angelfield.
(c) His death was recent, only two years before she met Ms. Winter.
(d) He was declared legally dead.
2. What is significant about the name of the author, Vida Winter?
(a) It is the same name as her father's relative.
(b) The former owner of the bookstore was named Jacob Winter.
(c) "Vida" comes from the same root word as "vitality," meaning life.
(d) It is clearly a pen name, and her real name is a mystery.
3. Hester has become quite well-read on what subject?
(a) The geneological history of the Angelfield family.
(b) The architecture of old English houses.
(c) The relationship and behavior of twins.
(d) The treatment of mental illness using leeches.
4. When the doctor comes to Angelfield, he recommends what?
(a) That Isabelle be sent to an asylum.
(b) That her children be removed from her.
(c) That the meals must change as their diets were insufficient.
(d) That the entire house be closed down as uninhabitable.
5. Where, and with whom, will Margaret eat her meals?
(a) With Winter and her extended family in the large and noisy kitchen.
(b) Alone, in her bedroom.
(c) Sometimes alone and sometimes in the kitchen with the children.
(d) Always in the large dining room with Winter.
Short Answer Questions
1. The following adjectives best describe Charlie as a child:
2. What is tragic about the birth of Isabelle, the twins' mother?
3. What happens to Roland, Isabelle's husband?
4. What is the disturbing event that take place between the two twins after Hester has left?
5. The name of the house and estate where Vida Winter grew up (as Adeline) was called:
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Hester believe she is seeing a ghost?
2. When Hester arrives, she summons the twins, but they do not come. How does Hester handle this behavior?
3. List a few specific details about Vida Winter's appearance on Margaret's first meeting.
4. Give three adjectives that describe Hester.
5. Give two details of the scenery Margaret describes on her way to meet Vida Winter.
6. Describe the circumstances of the first meeting between Margaret and Aurelius.
7. Describe the incident of the baby and perambulator.
8. After Isabelle leaves Angelfield for a short time, with whom did she return?
9. Describe the bookstore. Who were its main customers, and how was most of its income made?
10. How does Margaret learn that she was a twin? Describe what she is doing and how she makes the discovery.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)