|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Vida Winter says she starts one book as soon as she finishes another because she is afraid to confront which person who keeps trying to get her attention?
(a) Her twin.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her dead mother.
(d) Herself as a younger person.
2. In what way did the bookstore help in Margaret's education?
(a) Margaret's favorite teachers came in and spent extra hours tutoring her.
(b) The fascinating people that entered the store taught her about the world.
(c) Margaret's mother read to her for hours as they worked in the shop.
(d) She first learned her alphabet because the books were in alphabetical order.
3. What does Aurelius Love bring to Margaret after she falls?
(a) A golf cart so she would not have to walk on her sore foot.
(b) A photograph.
(c) A cup of tea and some cake.
(d) Bandages and crutches.
4. What does Hester do first when she arrives?
(a) Cleans the house.
(b) Buys new drapes and furniture.
(c) Hires three new servants.
(d) Claims she would stay only until a replacement could be found.
5. When she learns the truth about being a twin, Margaret feels:
(a) Enlightened. She now understands her lifelong feeling of loneliness.
(b) Angry. She is furious that her parents had not told her the truth previously.
(c) Elated. She is happy that she has a sister and is eager to meet her.
(d) Curious. She wants to learn more, and becomes intent on researching missing information.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Winter returns to the telling of her story, she talks of the village men asking for Dr. Maudsley's help with the twins. How does the doctor first attempt to solve the problem?
2. Vida Winter is a prolific and well-known author. Besides her fame, what can be said about her physical appearance?
3. What is Margaret's least favorite month?
4. What is tragic about the birth of Isabelle, the twins' mother?
5. Who is Mr. Lomax?
Short Essay Questions
1. List a few "odd" behaviors of the twins as they go about the countryside.
2. List a few details that are used to describe Margaret's first impression of Vida Winter's house.
3. How does Margaret learn that she was a twin? Describe what she is doing and how she makes the discovery.
4. After Isabelle leaves Angelfield for a short time, with whom did she return?
5. Describe the contents of the letter which Margaret receives.
6. What information does Margaret find at the Banbury Herald? What information does she NOT find?
7. Describe the orientation of the Angelfield house.
8. Give two details of the scenery Margaret describes on her way to meet Vida Winter.
9. What happens when Margaret arrives at Vida Winter's house for the first time?
10. Describe the circumstances of the first meeting between Margaret and Aurelius.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)