|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the tent that Margaret sees at Angelfield?
(b) Khaki, or tan.
(c) Orange, similar to caution tape.
(d) Red and white striped, like a circus tent.
2. After Hester leaves and Isabelle dies, what can be said about the Missus?
(a) She has left in search of Isabelle and Charlie.
(b) She has gradually become forgetful and unable to perform simple household tasks.
(c) John-the-dig agrees to marry her after many years of working together.
(d) After Isabelle's death, she went into her room and wept uncontrollably for many nights in a row.
3. Who has Margaret arranged to meet at Angelfield this second time?
4. Margaret returns to Vida Winter's house on:
(a) A lovely, July morning.
(b) Early in the morning as it is growing light on the moors.
(c) Just as the family is opening Christmas presents.
(d) A cold December evening in a snow storm.
5. The picture of Karen's son shows a resemblance to whom?
(b) His grandfather, Ambrose Proctor.
(d) Charlie Angelfield.
6. What does Ambrose teach Vida Winter to do before he leaves?
(a) How to read and write.
(b) How to make a telephone call.
(c) How to cook potatoes.
(d) How to kill a chicken.
7. Why doesn't the doctor come as soon as Emmeline has died?
(a) He refuses to participate in the lie to keep WInter's identity secret.
(b) He has gone to London and is unavailable.
(c) A snowstorm has brought down the phone lines.
(d) He is also sick, perhaps a kidney disease.
8. As a child, whose name did Margaret write often in the phonetic alphabet?
(a) The name of her twin.
(b) The names of her favorite authors.
(c) Jane Eyre.
(d) Her own name.
9. In what condition is Charlie when Adeline finds him?
(a) Alive, but very sick and hardly breathing.
(b) Dead, murdered by the twins.
(c) Dead, from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
(d) Dead, murdered by Isabelle.
10. What is of particular concern to John-the-dig after Charlie disappears?
(a) The girls were at marrying age; who should marry them?
(b) His topiary garden was becoming negelcted.
(c) Who would pay him and pay the bills at Anglefield in Charlie's absence.
(d) How he could get a doctor to take care of the Missus.
11. What news comes from the asylum about Isabelle?
(a) She would be returning later in the week.
(b) Isabelle is dead.
(c) She is sick, near death, and keeps asking for Charlie.
(d) She has escaped from the asylum and has been spotted in London.
12. John-the-dig hires someone to:
(a) Be a governess for the twins.
(b) Replace "the missus," cook, and help with housework.
(c) Repair the walls and fallen roof of the estate.
(d) Help in the garden.
13. Hester is troubled about a boy in the garden. Why?
(a) She thinks he should be in school.
(b) She is worried that he is flirting with the twins.
(c) She thinks he is stealing food.
(d) She thinks he might be John-the-dig's son.
14. What does Margaret tell Aurelius?
(a) That she has lost many thousands of dollars writing her book.
(b) That Angelfield is really his, and he is now a rich man.
(c) She is sorry, but they cannot have a relationship.
(d) The story of his parents and the reason for his abandonment.
15. In her telling of the Angelfield story, what does Vida Winter begin to do that she has not done before?
(a) Winter insists that her housekeeper, Judith, also be present in the room.
(b) Winter continually strokes the strange burn mark on her hand.
(c) Winter has used the pronoun "I."
(d) Winter silently weeps after the telling of the story.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is painful to Aurelius about the story he tells to Margaret?
2. In what man does Margaret show a romantic interest ?
3. What is distinctive about Emmeline's face, when Margaret meets her?
4. Ambrose Proctor and Adeline often:
5. In Aurelius' "inheritance," there is a page from what book?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)