|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Margaret use the phonetic alphabet after her night in the garden?
(a) She knows that twins have a secret language, and she tries to help the twins.
(b) To impress Winter with her skill.
(c) To leave a message for the gardener.
(d) To try to decipher the words spoken by the person she saw in the garden.
2. What color is the tent that Margaret sees at Angelfield?
(b) Red and white striped, like a circus tent.
(c) Khaki, or tan.
(d) Orange, similar to caution tape.
3. Who dies soon after the collapse of the roof at Angelfield?
(a) Dr. Maudsley.
(b) The Missus.
4. What does the doctor tell Margaret will heal her from her present illness?
(a) Leaving the Winter house and returning to London.
(b) Wearing a mask to protect herself from Vida Winter.
(c) Eating more.
(d) Getting to the bottom of the Angelfield mystery.
5. What is of particular concern to John-the-dig after Charlie disappears?
(a) Who would pay him and pay the bills at Anglefield in Charlie's absence.
(b) His topiary garden was becoming negelcted.
(c) How he could get a doctor to take care of the Missus.
(d) The girls were at marrying age; who should marry them?
6. Who does Margaret meet near Angelfield when she returns a third time?
(a) Karen, the daughter of Ambrose.
(b) Aurelius's mother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Ms. Winters' solicitor.
7. What does Hester accuse Emmeline of taking, as reported in Hester's diary?
(a) Isabelle's violin.
(b) Hester's diary.
(c) Hester's house keys.
(d) Hester's jewelry.
8. Margaret returns to Vida Winter's house on:
(a) Early in the morning as it is growing light on the moors.
(b) Just as the family is opening Christmas presents.
(c) A lovely, July morning.
(d) A cold December evening in a snow storm.
9. What became of Hester?
(a) She changed her name and moved to Italy.
(b) She moved to America and eventually married the doctor.
(c) She apparently died not far from Angelfield so she could keep watch on the twins.
(d) She died in poverty because she could never work again as a governess.
10. What are the words that come to Margaret as she struggles to understand them?
(a) "I killed John-the-dig."
(b) "Angelfield should burn."
(c) "The dead go underground."
(d) "I am afraid of my sister."
11. What is one source of income for the people left at Angelfield?
(a) The game in the park; hunters are willing to pay to hunt.
(b) The pear orchard on the property.
(c) People come to look at John-the-dig's topiary garden.
(d) Bottles of wine in their basement.
12. Which two characters meet after many years in private rooms at Winter's house?
(a) Aurelius and his brother.
(b) Aurelius and Emmeline.
(c) Margaret and Margaret's mother.
(d) Adeline and Emmeline.
13. What distinctive smell lingered on the "foundling" bag?
(a) Lavender from the fields, similar to the fields at Angelfield.
(b) Pine needles.
(d) Smoke from a fire.
14. Who does Margaret surmise must have tampered with the ladder's safety latch?
(a) The Missus.
(b) The doctor.
(d) Ambrose Proctor.
15. To whom will Margaret give the long biographical document about Ms. Winters?
(b) The Missus' daughter.
(d) Tom and Emma, Ambrose's grandchildren.
Short Answer Questions
1. The remains (bones) at Angelfield were not Hester's but:
2. In the process of demolition at Angelfield, something unusual was found regarding Vida WInter's story. Who has come to investigate?
3. As a child, whose name did Margaret write often in the phonetic alphabet?
4. What is troubling to Margaret as she visits Angelfield a second time?
5. John-the-dig hires someone to:
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)