|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is found dead at the base of a ladder in the garden?
(a) John-the dig's nephew.
(c) The doctor.
(d) The new boy, Proctor.
2. After meeting Emmeline and confronting Vida WInter about her sister, what does Margaret learn about Emmeline?
(a) Emmeline has not spoken in eighteen years.
(b) Emmeline is mostly deaf and partly blind.
(c) Emmeline is dying.
(d) Emmeline has been mentally ill, but she is getting better.
3. What incredible revelation does Margaret realize about the children at Angelfield?
(a) John-the-dig is really the twin's father.
(b) There are three children, not two.
(c) Isabelle died in childbirth.
(d) Hester is really the twins' mother.
4. What news comes from the asylum about Isabelle?
(a) She has escaped from the asylum and has been spotted in London.
(b) Isabelle is dead.
(c) She is sick, near death, and keeps asking for Charlie.
(d) She would be returning later in the week.
5. On Margaret's birthday, she goes :
(a) To Angelfield, for dinner with Aurelius.
(b) To the moors, in the rain.
(c) On a boat ride on the lake.
(d) Back home, for a reunion with her parents.
6. To whom will Margaret give the long biographical document about Ms. Winters?
(a) The Missus' daughter.
(d) Tom and Emma, Ambrose's grandchildren.
7. What does Margaret keep of Ms. Winter belongings?
(a) Winter's writing desk.
(b) Winter's purple scarves that Margaret had often admired.
(c) Shadow, the cat.
(d) Winter's Jane Eyre collection.
8. The remains (bones) at Angelfield were not Hester's but:
(a) One of the twin's.
(b) The daughter of John-the-dig's.
(d) The doctor's wife's.
9. In what man does Margaret show a romantic interest ?
(a) Dr. Clifden.
(b) Aurelius' son.
(c) Dr. Maudsley.
10. After Hester leaves and Isabelle dies, what can be said about the Missus?
(a) After Isabelle's death, she went into her room and wept uncontrollably for many nights in a row.
(b) She has gradually become forgetful and unable to perform simple household tasks.
(c) John-the-dig agrees to marry her after many years of working together.
(d) She has left in search of Isabelle and Charlie.
11. What distinctive smell lingered on the "foundling" bag?
(a) Pine needles.
(b) Smoke from a fire.
(c) Lavender from the fields, similar to the fields at Angelfield.
12. Where is Margaret when Emmeline's strange and undecipherable words become clear to her?
(a) In the library with Winter.
(b) In the moonlit garden.
(c) At the edge of the lake.
(d) Taking a bath.
13. Who does Margaret meet near Angelfield when she returns a third time?
(a) Karen, the daughter of Ambrose.
(b) Aurelius's mother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Ms. Winters' solicitor.
14. Who dies soon after the collapse of the roof at Angelfield?
(a) The Missus.
(b) Dr. Maudsley.
15. Who comes to visit Margaret at the end of the book?
(b) Three writers, begging for more information about Ms. Winters.
(c) Moira, her twin.
(d) The ghost from Winters house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What became of Hester?
2. In the process of demolition at Angelfield, something unusual was found regarding Vida WInter's story. Who has come to investigate?
3. When Margaret finally tells Vida Winter about her own life, what does she show Winter?
4. Despite their fighting, Emmeline gives Adeline :
5. Why doesn't the doctor come as soon as Emmeline has died?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)