|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part One, Beginnings: Arrival and Meeting Miss Winter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of writing of Margaret's has been published?
(a) Essays about the lives of authors.
(b) Non-fiction accounts of collectors, especially book and watch collectors.
(c) Essays about royalty in the thirteenth century.
(d) Short novels, always wth thirteen chapters.
2. Winter's frankness and honesty create a strong first reaction in Margaret. Early in their first conversation, Margaret:
(a) Rises from her chair, and nearly exits the room.
(b) Is shocked by the sordid details of Winter's immoral past.
(c) Becomes angry at the way Winter treats her housekeeper, Judith.
(d) Begins crying with strong sadness at the first story she is told.
3. What is peculiar about the many interviews given by Vida Winter?
(a) She has never told the truth about her life.
(b) She prides herself on her honesty, despite her painful past.
(c) She finds it fun to make every reporter cry.
(d) She will never speak for more than thirty minutes.
4. The following is said about Vida Winter's appearance:
(a) She wears expensive, colorful rings but is otherwise clothed in black.
(b) She wears sunglasses, a bright pink scarf and white gloves.
(c) She wears sunglasses, white makeup, red lipstick.
(d) She wears expensive rings and a jeweled tiara.
5. In what way did the bookstore help in Margaret's education?
(a) She first learned her alphabet because the books were in alphabetical order.
(b) The fascinating people that entered the store taught her about the world.
(c) Margaret's mother read to her for hours as they worked in the shop.
(d) Margaret's favorite teachers came in and spent extra hours tutoring her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In their first interview, Winter reveals to Margaret a painful bit of her history earlier than she wanted to.
2. Margaret says, "the hours between eight in the evening and one or two in the morning have always been my magic hours." What does she do during these hours?
3. When Vida Winter cries out a name, Margaret realizes that she and Winter have something in common. What is it?
4. When she learns the truth about being a twin, Margaret feels:
5. What process does Margaret use to write the biography?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)