|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part One, Beginnings: Arrival and Meeting Miss Winter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Winter's frankness and honesty create a strong first reaction in Margaret. Early in their first conversation, Margaret:
(a) Begins crying with strong sadness at the first story she is told.
(b) Rises from her chair, and nearly exits the room.
(c) Is shocked by the sordid details of Winter's immoral past.
(d) Becomes angry at the way Winter treats her housekeeper, Judith.
2. What is the phrase from the letter Margaret has received that keeps running through Margaret's mind?
(a) "Tell me the truth."
(b) "You alone can help me."
(c) "I need to find myself."
(d) "Authors are liars."
3. When Vida Winter cries out a name, Margaret realizes that she and Winter have something in common. What is it?
(a) Neither had a happy childhood because of an emotionless mother.
(b) They have both studied spells of "dark arts" from the 13th century.
(c) They are related; both share a common ancestor.
(d) They both grieve the loss of a twin.
4. At what age does Margaret discover she was a twin, and that this twin died at birth?
(c) As an adult, as she is narrating this book.
5. When she has trouble falling asleep the night after receiving the letter, what does Margaret do?
(a) She decides to try one of the "dark spells" she has read about earlier in the day.
(b) She takes a rare book from the shop and begins to read it.
(c) She wakes up her mother and makes her talk about her twin.
(d) She reads everything she can about twins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the proof Margaret sees to prove she was a twin?
2. The following can be said about the bookshop:
3. What is one overwhelming first impression of Vida Winter's house?
4. Where and with whom does Margaret Lea spend her days?
5. Where, and with whom, will Margaret eat her meals?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)