|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the delegation find out about the French at the beginning of Chapter 6?
2. How does Van Buren feel about the French?
3. What was the sailing weather like for the Diane on her way to Pulo Prabang?
4. What offer to the French has the Sultan officially rejected?
5. What two bodies does Maturin bring to Van Buren?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maturin bring to van Buren's house and what do the two men do?
2. What surprises the English about the Sultan and their offer and what does Maturin think about the Sultan's behavior?
3. What does Aubrey do with the midshipmen when he allows prostitutes aboard Diane and what do those midshipmen do?
4. What does Fox do to impress the Sultan? How does Aubrey prepare?
5. Who is Van Buren and why does Maturin seek him out in Pulo Prabang?
6. What kind of news about the French delegation does Raffles tell Aubrey?
7. What kind and number of midshipmen does the Diane have and how does Aubrey handle them?
8. Describe, briefly, the Diane.
9. How does the crew work on the Diane and what does Aubrey do with them?
10. What island does Diane approach when the wind dies and she gets caught in a current?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thirteen Gun Salute, like many, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note in that the treaty was obtained and the men on the ship were all saved before Diane was smashed apart. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most) people want what they perceive as a happy ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Thirteen Gun Salute and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Thirteen Gun Salute is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. State what you think are three characteristics of a successful novel and whether or not Thirteen Gun Salute in your opinion is a successful novel.
Essay Topic 2
At the conclusion of a novel, most readers either consciously or unconsciously engage in processing the book and usually come to a conclusion as to whether they like the book or not. Discuss one of the following:
1. Would you consider Thirteen Gun Salute a "good" book? Why or why not? Use examples to illustrate your stance.
2. What do you think are the elements of an outstanding novel? Analyze one of your favorite novels to see if those elements are present.
3. What are some reasons you might consider a novel a failure? Analyze a novel you think is a failure and see if those elements are in that novel.
Essay Topic 3
Though Thirteen Gun Salute is probably more action driven rather than character driven, obviously there are several characters who make the novel what it is. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Aubrey and Maturin. How are they similar? How are they different? Would you consider one of them a stronger character than the other? How does each of them add to the story?
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Maturin and Sir Joseph. How are they similar? How are they different? Would you consider one of them a stronger character than the other? How does each of them add to the story?
3. Thoroughly analyze the character of Jack Aubrey, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)