|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maturin think of the French presentation to the Sultan?
2. What is the primary reason Maturin contacts Van Buren?
3. Who is the Sultan's cup-bearer?
4. Why does Fox decide to give a tour of Diane to the Sultan?
5. What offer to the French has the Sultan officially rejected?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maturin enjoy at the locale where he spends his leave time?
2. Describe, briefly, the Diane.
3. Where does Maturin go on a leave and how did he get there?
4. What kind and number of midshipmen does the Diane have and how does Aubrey handle them?
5. Why can't Maturin collect specimens while on leave?
6. What kind of news about the French delegation does Raffles tell Aubrey?
7. How does the crew work on the Diane and what does Aubrey do with them?
8. What does Fox believe and what does he do about the French delegation?
9. What surprises the English about the Sultan and their offer and what does Maturin think about the Sultan's behavior?
10. How does Maturin and van Buren's relationship evolve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Captain Jack Aubrey is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds, he usually comes out on top, in Thirteen Gun Salute and in the others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, which is more admirable--a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and doesn't succeed? Which is more interesting?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Aubrey who you might call a hero/heroine and explain why you choose that person.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Though it is not as evident in this book as others, most of the entire series of novels concerning Captain Jack Aubrey takes place during the Napoleonic Wars; therefore understanding the political and social situation during that time helps to a greater understanding and appreciation of Thirteen Gun Salute and others in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the Napoleonic Wars begin and end.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the naval aspect of the Napoleonic Wars between Britain and France.
3. Compare/Contrast the importance of the British navy during the Napoleonic Wars to the importance of the British navy during either WWI or WWII.
Essay Topic 3
A work of fiction is often organized around a structure called a plot. Discuss the following:
1. Define plot and its major parts (rising action, climax, falling action, resolution [or denouement]). Write a sentence or two synopsis of the major plot of the Thirteen Gun Salute.
2. Identify where the parts of the plot seem to fall in Thirteen Gun Salute. Explain using examples.
3. Define the literary term "subplot." Write a sentence or two synopsis of a subplot in Thirteen Gun Salute.
4. Identify the major parts of the subplot you identified in task number 3.
5. Why do you think identifying the plot and elements of the plot is useful?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)