|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the delegation find out about the French at the beginning of Chapter 6?
2. Where is the Buddhist monastery Maturin visits?
3. At what function does the British delegation act in grossly flattering ways?
4. How did Aubrey and Fox feel towards each other?
5. For what is Van Buren widely esteemed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of daily observations does Aubrey take and why does he take them?
2. What does Maturin enjoy at the locale where he spends his leave time?
3. What kind and number of midshipmen does the Diane have and how does Aubrey handle them?
4. How does the crew work on the Diane and what does Aubrey do with them?
5. What does Fox believe and what does he do about the French delegation?
6. What island does Diane approach when the wind dies and she gets caught in a current?
7. What class do the midshipmen find boring and what do they do about it?
8. What does Maturin bring to van Buren's house and what do the two men do?
9. What is Fox's response to his situation and how does that affect Maturin?
10. How is Abjul executed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though Thirteen Gun Salute is probably more action driven rather than character driven, obviously there are several characters who make the novel what it is. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Aubrey and Maturin. How are they similar? How are they different? Would you consider one of them a stronger character than the other? How does each of them add to the story?
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Maturin and Sir Joseph. How are they similar? How are they different? Would you consider one of them a stronger character than the other? How does each of them add to the story?
3. Thoroughly analyze the character of Jack Aubrey, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Thirteen Gun Salute is one book in a series of novels involving Captain Aubrey and Dr. Maturin. Discuss the following:
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier, more difficult, or about the same to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
During this era when the book takes place, if a vessel under the command of a naval officer captures another vessel from a country with whom they are warring or captures a pirate vessel, etc...the crew of the victorious vessel shares in the goods, money and value of the vessel. This was the purpose for the Surprise having a letter of marque. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the British had such a policy in place then?
2. What are the possible abuses that can arise from such a policy?
3. Why do you think this policy is eventually abandoned?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)