|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Diane head after leaving Pulo Prabang?
(d) South Africa.
2. For what type of research is Van Buren known?
(a) His work on mammalian spleens.
(b) His work on whales and dolphins.
(c) His work on human brains.
(d) His work on the circulatory system in mammals.
3. What offer to the French has the Sultan officially rejected?
(a) Offer to allow a French embassy.
(b) Offer to hear a presentation.
(c) Offer to align with the French.
(d) Offer of safe conduct.
4. What two bodies does Maturin bring to Van Buren?
(a) Two crew members from the Diane.
(b) The Sultan's son and brother.
(c) Two prostitutes.
(d) Ledward and Wray.
5. Who is the Sultan's cup-bearer?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maturin bring the bodies in question #149 to Van Buren?
2. What does Maturin think of the French presentation to the Sultan?
3. Why are the English surprised the Sultan is hesitant to accept their offer?
4. What does Aubrey decide to do to show off Diane?
5. What type of port, politically, is Pulo Prabang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aubrey dislike Fox and how does the crew feel about Fox? What does that force on Fox?
2. How does Maturin and van Buren's relationship evolve?
3. Describe, briefly, the Diane.
4. What does Aubrey do with the midshipmen when he allows prostitutes aboard Diane and what do those midshipmen do?
5. Who is Van Buren and why does Maturin seek him out in Pulo Prabang?
6. What does Maturin enjoy at the locale where he spends his leave time?
7. What island does Diane approach when the wind dies and she gets caught in a current?
8. How is Abjul executed?
9. What kind and number of midshipmen does the Diane have and how does Aubrey handle them?
10. What is Fox's response to his situation and how does that affect Maturin?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)