|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what does Maturin instruct Standish as the ship enters the first port?
(a) How to avoid seasickness.
(b) How to quit drinking.
(c) Maritime processes.
(d) How to cure gout.
2. What does Standish ask when Surprise makes her first port?
(a) To see a physician in the town.
(b) To go ashore.
(c) To stay on ship and not go ashore.
(d) To leave the crew.
3. Who arrives close to departure of the Surprise to go with them?
(a) Mr. Hawthorne.
(b) Mr. Thomas.
(c) Mr. Greaves.
(d) Mr. Standish.
4. Why will Diane be going to Pulo Prabang?
(a) To join a blockade of Africa's southern coast.
(b) To capture a large French fleet.
(c) To negotiate a treaty.
(d) To assault Pulo Prabang.
5. What document gives Aubrey the authority to command Surprise?
(a) A set of royal orders.
(b) Orders from the Queen.
(c) A letter of marque.
(d) A letter of Merchant Marines.
Short Answer Questions
1. Towards what city does the Surprise sail after completing the trip in question #39?
2. What nickname did the men call Aubrey?
3. Who is Sir Joseph Blaine in relationship to Maturin's covert job?
4. How does Aubrey respond to Standish's request from question #44?
5. Why did Martin take a position on the Surprise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maturin think about Batavia and what is his hope?
2. What do Aubrey and Maturin do after meeting with Fox?
3. What does Standish ask for at Lisbon and how does Aubrey respond?
4. What ship is Aubrey in command of at the beginning of the book?
5. What will complicate Aubrey's new mission?
6. What does Surprise do after they finish with the ship they saw?
7. What does Maturin think about doing about the ship they saw and what does he decide?
8. Who is Maturin's assistant, why is he on the Surprise and how are he and Maturin similar?
9. Who is the Surprise's first lieutenant and what is his qualification?
10. What is Maturin's covert job?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)