|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the second lieutenant's nickname?
(a) Alley Dick.
(b) Spotted Dick.
(c) Striped Bass.
(d) Moon Luck Richard.
2. What does Maturin think about in relation to Batavia?
(a) How many friends he has there.
(b) The natural splendors.
(c) The native people.
(d) Whether the women are all married.
3. Why is Pullings on the Surprise?
(a) He wants to make a name for himself.
(b) He is the owner of Surprise.
(c) He has no naval command of his own.
(d) He is running from the law.
4. Over what does Maturin quibble at the dinner?
(a) How the waiter served them.
(b) A few pence being deducted from his account.
(c) Whether the wine is sour.
(d) The way the beef is cooked.
5. Who is the assistant surgeon on the Surprise?
(a) Thomas Moss.
(b) Nathaniel Martin.
(c) Joseph Geller.
(d) Stewart Blaginton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will lead the British delegation to Pulo Prabang?
2. What is the head of Pulo Prabang called?
3. What does Maturin say when Martin asks him about the laudanum?
4. Who will be the new captain of the Surprise?
5. Why did Padeen commit crimes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who owns the Surprise and what kind of work does the owner do?
2. What ship does Surprise see shortly after leaving England and what does Aubrey do?
3. Who does Maturin see on the ship and what does he think about it?
4. What does Maturin think about as they sail along the coast of Ireland?
5. What will complicate Aubrey's new mission?
6. What does Maturin think about Batavia and what is his hope?
7. Who reinstates Aubrey and under what conditions?
8. From where do many of the crew come?
9. What kind of journey did Sir Joseph have from Corunna and why has he come to Lisbon?
10. How is the ship's last addition to the crew handling the voyage and how does Aubrey feel about it?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)