|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Over what does Maturin quibble at the dinner?
(a) Whether the wine is sour.
(b) A few pence being deducted from his account.
(c) How the waiter served them.
(d) The way the beef is cooked.
2. What kind of experience does the crew on the Surprise have?
(a) They are average sailors.
(b) They are a mixture of new and experienced sailors.
(d) They are mostly new sailors.
3. What kind of ship does Surprise spot shortly after it leaves England?
(a) A Spanish sloop.
(b) A British Merchant Marine.
(c) A French Privateer.
(d) A British battleship.
4. From where do many of the crew come?
5. Who decides to hire Standish as his personal secretary?
(a) The Prince of Orange.
(b) A music lover army officer.
(c) Sir Joseph.
(d) Duke Wellington.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Aubrey respond to Standish's request from question #44?
2. What nickname did the men call Aubrey?
3. Where does Surprise leave England?
4. Why was a former loblolly who Maturin knew arrested and transported?
5. What does Edward Fox ask Aubrey about in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who shows up right before departure to join the crew and in what position?
2. What happens to Standish on the journey to Corunna?
3. How is the ship's last addition to the crew handling the voyage and how does Aubrey feel about it?
4. What does Maturin think about Batavia and what is his hope?
5. What happens to the Surprise with Aubrey's new orders and what do Pullings and Aubrey arrange?
6. What does Maturin think about doing about the ship they saw and what does he decide?
7. What does Standish ask for at Lisbon and how does Aubrey respond?
8. What is Maturin's covert job?
9. What do Aubrey and Maturin do after meeting with Fox?
10. What is the crew of the Surprise like?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)