|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Martin take a position on the Surprise?
(a) For adventure.
(b) He is in trouble with the constable.
(c) To support his new wife.
(d) To send his child to college.
2. What piece of land does the Surprise turn around after leaving the North Channel in Chapter 2?
(a) Iberian Peninsula.
(b) Cape Bougote.
(c) Malin Head.
(d) Horn of Africa.
3. What document gives Aubrey the authority to command Surprise?
(a) A letter of marque.
(b) A set of royal orders.
(c) Orders from the Queen.
(d) A letter of Merchant Marines.
4. What position does Tom Pullings hold on the Surprise?
(a) Second mate.
(b) First lieutenant.
(c) Captain's stewart.
5. What does Edward Fox ask Aubrey about in Chapter 4?
(a) If the ship Diane is a good vessel.
(b) Whether Aubrey has ever transported a delegation.
(c) How long it will take to be ready to leave.
(d) Naval honors an envoy might expect.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the Surprise going to her destination port when she leaves in Chapter 2?
2. Who will lead the British delegation to Pulo Prabang?
3. Why is Pullings on the Surprise?
4. From what does Standish suffer as Surprise continues her voyage?
5. What is Maturin's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fox do to impress the Sultan? How does Aubrey prepare?
2. Why can't Maturin collect specimens while on leave?
3. How does the crew work on the Diane and what does Aubrey do with them?
4. What does Maturin bring to van Buren's house and what do the two men do?
5. What is Maturin's covert job?
6. What ship is Aubrey in command of at the beginning of the book?
7. What does Maturin think about as they sail along the coast of Ireland?
8. What did Diane do on Coronation Day?
9. What does Maturin contrive to do as Diane's voyage continues and how does Aubrey feel about it?
10. What is Aubrey and Pullings' relationship and how are they similar?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)