|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Surprise catch the ship in question #32?
(a) Right on the Ireland coast.
(b) It never catches it.
(c) In the English channel near France.
(d) A few miles out from the Spanish coast.
2. Upon what subject does Maturin and the man in question #33 disagree?
(a) Whether he should marry Maturin's sister.
(b) Polictics concerning Ireland.
(c) Whether medicine is an art or a science.
(d) Whether England has the right to impress sailors.
3. What kind of sanctuary does Maturin know about at Kumai?
(a) A Catholic one.
(b) A Hindu one.
(c) A bird sanctuary.
(d) A Buddhist one.
4. On what date does the Diane leave port?
(a) May 23, 1813.
(b) May 10, 1813.
(c) May 15, 1813.
(d) May 12, 1813.
5. What is Maturin's occupation?
(a) Ship captain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maturin thinks about his earlier life living in a country in Chapter 2. What is that country?
2. How does the former captain of the Diane feel about Aubrey taking command of his boat?
3. What does Maturin do as Aubrey is being reinstated?
4. What does Maturin say when Martin asks him about the laudanum?
5. How much laudanum does Maturin carry aboard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Maturin's covert job?
2. Who does Maturin see on the ship and what does he think about it?
3. What kind of honor does Fox inquire about to Aubrey and what is Aubrey's answer?
4. What does Maturin think about Batavia and what is his hope?
5. How does the captain of the Diane feel about being replaced and on what day does Aubrey take command?
6. What ship does Surprise see shortly after leaving England and what does Aubrey do?
7. What kind of journey did Sir Joseph have from Corunna and why has he come to Lisbon?
8. What new orders are Aubrey given in Lisbon?
9. What ship is Aubrey in command of at the beginning of the book?
10. What does Maturin think about as they sail along the coast of Ireland?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)