|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Maturin see as Surprise closes with the ship in question #32?
(a) Robert Gough.
(b) Peter Havier.
(c) Bob Pennigton.
(d) Matthew Longbread.
2. Over what does Maturin quibble at the dinner?
(a) How the waiter served them.
(b) The way the beef is cooked.
(c) A few pence being deducted from his account.
(d) Whether the wine is sour.
3. What does Maturin think about in relation to Batavia?
(a) Whether the women are all married.
(b) How many friends he has there.
(c) The natural splendors.
(d) The native people.
4. Why will Diane be going to Pulo Prabang?
(a) To assault Pulo Prabang.
(b) To capture a large French fleet.
(c) To negotiate a treaty.
(d) To join a blockade of Africa's southern coast.
5. What is Maturin supposed to do about the leader of the British delegation?
(a) He has no mission surrounding the delegation.
(b) Keep his gout under control.
(c) Assassinate him.
(d) Assist him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What document gives Aubrey the authority to command Surprise?
2. Who arrives close to departure of the Surprise to go with them?
3. From what does Standish suffer as Surprise continues her voyage?
4. When does Surprise catch the ship in question #32?
5. What is the head of Pulo Prabang called?
Short Essay Questions
1. From where do many of the crew come?
2. What kind of journey did Sir Joseph have from Corunna and why has he come to Lisbon?
3. How is the ship's last addition to the crew handling the voyage and how does Aubrey feel about it?
4. Who is the Surprise's first lieutenant and what is his qualification?
5. What ship does Surprise see shortly after leaving England and what does Aubrey do?
6. What happens to the Surprise with Aubrey's new orders and what do Pullings and Aubrey arrange?
7. What does Maturin think about in relation to Padeen?
8. Who shows up right before departure to join the crew and in what position?
9. What does Standish ask for at Lisbon and how does Aubrey respond?
10. What does Surprise do after they finish with the ship they saw?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)