|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maturin do as Aubrey is being reinstated?
(a) Try to get his banking situation in order.
(b) Go to his old medical school to find a book.
(c) Go see Sir Joseph.
(d) Visit his wife.
2. Where is Surprise bound?
(c) New Zealand.
(d) South America.
3. Who does Maturin see as Surprise closes with the ship in question #32?
(a) Matthew Longbread.
(b) Robert Gough.
(c) Peter Havier.
(d) Bob Pennigton.
4. What is the conversation mostly about during dinner ashore before the Surprise leaves?
(b) Women and children.
5. In what state was Aubrey's finances when the Surprise was purchased by the owner?
(a) He was very wealthy.
(c) He is supported by his wife.
(d) He had typical resources for a naval captain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was a former loblolly who Maturin knew arrested and transported?
2. From what does Standish suffer as Surprise continues her voyage?
3. What kind of ship does Surprise spot shortly after it leaves England?
4. What does Maturin think about in relation to Batavia?
5. From what British government action are the sailors of the Surprise exempt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Surprise do after they finish with the ship they saw?
2. What happens to the Surprise with Aubrey's new orders and what do Pullings and Aubrey arrange?
3. Who shows up right before departure to join the crew and in what position?
4. What new orders are Aubrey given in Lisbon?
5. How is the ship's last addition to the crew handling the voyage and how does Aubrey feel about it?
6. From where do many of the crew come?
7. Who is the Surprise's first lieutenant and what is his qualification?
8. What does Standish ask for at Lisbon and how does Aubrey respond?
9. What does Maturin think about as they sail along the coast of Ireland?
10. How does the captain of the Diane feel about being replaced and on what day does Aubrey take command?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)