|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Maturin watch closely at the diner following the French presentation?
(a) Ledward and Wray.
(b) The leader of the French delegation.
(c) The Sultan's catamite.
(d) The Sultan.
2. Why would the Sultan not want any French or English bodies found on his land?
(a) It would cause disease.
(b) It is against his religion.
(c) It would embarrass him.
(d) It would start a war.
3. What is the primary reason Maturin contacts Van Buren?
(a) To ask him about brain surgery.
(b) To enlist him on the side of the English delegation.
(c) To see his circulatory charts.
(d) To meet his wife.
4. What type of port, politically, is Pulo Prabang?
(a) Neutral but loosely associated with Egypt.
(c) Aligned with South America.
(d) Aligned with Russia.
5. What type of demeanor did Fox most exhibit?
(d) Cynical and skeptical.
6. How is Abdul executed?
(c) Quartered with horses.
(d) Shot by firing squad.
7. Into what does Van Buren and Maturin's relationship evolve?
(b) They only meet once.
(d) Close confidants.
8. What is the crew like on the Diane?
(a) Well intergrated.
(b) Disciplined but new.
(c) Sloppy and undisciplined.
9. What type of network does Van Buren have?
(a) Extensive number of contacts.
(b) He only knows people in science.
(c) He just moved there and knows no one.
(d) He knows a few people.
10. What offer to the French has the Sultan officially rejected?
(a) Offer of safe conduct.
(b) Offer to allow a French embassy.
(c) Offer to align with the French.
(d) Offer to hear a presentation.
11. How does Fox act towards Maturin after the affair in question #154?
(a) With arrogance and hostility.
(b) Angry and belittling.
(c) With overly friendly conversation.
(d) With great delight.
12. How do the new group of diplomats seem to Maturin?
(a) Trustworthy and diligent.
(b) Boring, conceited and obnoxious.
(c) Obnoxious but interesting.
(d) Exciting and good conversationalist.
13. Why is Maturin unable to collect any specimens at the monastery?
(a) He didn't bring any collection bottles.
(b) They are protected by Buddhist beliefs.
(c) They are all too large.
(d) They are in a national wildlife preserve.
14. What two types of animals does Maturin particularly enjoy watching at the monastery?
(a) Orangutans and rhinoceroses.
(b) Jaguars and cheetahs.
(c) Elephants and chimpanzees.
(d) Orangutans and hippopotamuses.
15. What does Abdul demand from Fox?
(a) An apology.
(b) A present.
(c) He demands Fox stay on the ship.
(d) That Fox have sex with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was it critical when the wind died near Inaccessible Island?
2. Where does Diane arrive at the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. Who does Aubrey occasionally allow to come aboard the Diane?
4. What has caused the riot in Pulo Prabang that is happening when Maturin returns from the monastery?
5. How did Maturin find Fox?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)