|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Maturin find Fox?
2. How does Van Buren feel about the French?
(a) He is married to one.
(b) He hates them.
(c) He loves them.
(d) He is indifferent to them.
3. Why did Fox see much of Maturin?
(a) He liked Maturin.
(b) He was interested in medicine.
(c) He was a hypochondriac.
(d) He was an amateur naturalist.
4. What two types of animals does Maturin particularly enjoy watching at the monastery?
(a) Jaguars and cheetahs.
(b) Orangutans and rhinoceroses.
(c) Orangutans and hippopotamuses.
(d) Elephants and chimpanzees.
5. To what animal is Maturin compared?
(a) A domesticated orangutan.
(b) A lazy hippopotamus.
(c) A charging rhinoceros.
(d) A drunk monkey.
6. What does Maturin think of the French presentation to the Sultan?
(a) It was precise but inspiring.
(b) It was dynamic.
(c) It was interesting.
(d) It was uninspiring.
7. What does the delegation find out about the French at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) The French's delegation ship sank.
(b) They don't find out anything about the French.
(c) The French decided not to send a delegation.
(d) The French have already arrived in Pulo Prabang.
8. Why would the Sultan not want any French or English bodies found on his land?
(a) It would cause disease.
(b) It would start a war.
(c) It is against his religion.
(d) It would embarrass him.
9. What does Maturin see as the reason for the Sultan's hesitancy towards the English?
(a) The Sultan's wife is sleeping with Wray.
(b) The Sultan's wife despises Fox.
(c) The Sultan is interested in one of the French delegation members.
(d) Ledward's influence over the cup-bearer.
10. How much variation is there on the Diane as the sailing days continue?
(a) Each man's routine changed every six hours.
(b) Little variation.
(c) There was days of no variation with different days between.
(d) The routine is different everyday.
11. What charts does Aubrey hope to improve?
(a) Those drawn up by the East Indies Trade Company.
(b) Those given to him by the Admirality.
(c) Those he obtained from the Hudson Bay Company.
(d) Those produced by Alexander von Humboldt.
12. What type of network does Van Buren have?
(a) Extensive number of contacts.
(b) He knows a few people.
(c) He just moved there and knows no one.
(d) He only knows people in science.
13. How does Aubrey find the group of diplomats?
(a) Irritating in an ambiguous way.
(b) Ignorant but enthusiastic.
(d) Willing to learn about the ship.
14. What type of work for the Dutch does Van Buren do?
(d) Queen's physician.
15. At what function does the British delegation act in grossly flattering ways?
(a) The presentation of the Sultan's new son.
(b) An elaborate dinner party.
(c) The Sultan's birthday celebration.
(d) A midnight ball.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maturin tell Aubrey about the riot?
2. What do both delegations do after several days of preparation?
3. How is Diane taken out of her predicament with the wind dying?
4. What kind of response does Diane have to sailing?
5. How does Aubrey feel about the crew of the Diane?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)