|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maturin bring the bodies in question #149 to Van Buren?
(a) To look at a possible new disease.
(b) To bury them.
(c) To dissect them.
(d) To show him the effects of peppering.
2. How does Aubrey work the crew?
(a) Physical training.
(b) Command structure and order training.
(c) Drilling in seamanship and gunnery.
(d) Fire fighting drills.
3. How is Abdul executed?
(b) Quartered with horses.
(d) Shot by firing squad.
4. Why are the English surprised the Sultan is hesitant to accept their offer?
(a) The Sultan has said he doesn't like Wray.
(b) It is superior to the French.
(c) It was a better presentation.
(d) The French have insulted the Sultan.
5. Who does Maturin watch closely at the diner following the French presentation?
(a) The Sultan.
(b) Ledward and Wray.
(c) The leader of the French delegation.
(d) The Sultan's catamite.
6. What does the Sultan announce shortly after the Sultan returns?
(a) The English proposal is accepted.
(b) The French proposal is accepted.
(c) The Spanish proposal is accepted.
(d) Neither proposal is accepted.
7. How do the midshipmen feel about their class on spherical trigonometry?
(a) They find it boring.
(b) They think it's exciting.
(c) They like it.
(d) They have no opinion.
8. What kind of arrangements does Maturin make regarding Pulo Prabang?
9. How did Maturin find Fox?
10. To what animal is Maturin compared?
(a) A domesticated orangutan.
(b) A lazy hippopotamus.
(c) A charging rhinoceros.
(d) A drunk monkey.
11. What do Aubrey and Maturin learn about banks in England?
(a) Money has become too tight.
(b) Many banks are collapsing due to scandal.
(c) The industry is strong.
(d) Several small banks have merged.
12. What is the crew like on the Diane?
(a) Disciplined but new.
(c) Sloppy and undisciplined.
(d) Well intergrated.
13. How did Aubrey and Fox feel towards each other?
(c) Enthusiastic respect.
(d) Restrained dislike.
14. What does Abdul demand from Fox?
(a) A present.
(b) He demands Fox stay on the ship.
(c) That Fox have sex with him.
(d) An apology.
15. Why does Fox enlist a group of British diplomats to accompany him to Pulo Prabang?
(a) All of them want to go.
(b) He's not sure which expert he will need.
(c) For safety.
(d) To over match the French in numbers.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what function does the British delegation act in grossly flattering ways?
2. What does Maturin tell Aubrey about the riot?
3. How many midshipmen does Diane have?
4. How is Diane taken out of her predicament with the wind dying?
5. What does Aubrey do daily concerning the ocean's waters?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)