|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the Sultan's cup-bearer?
2. Why does Fox decide to give a tour of Diane to the Sultan?
(a) To impress him.
(b) To scare him.
(c) To isolate him from the French.
(d) To show what the English have captured from the French.
3. What have the midshipmen been doing with their journals on spherical trigonometry?
(a) Tearing out the sheets.
(b) Throwning sheets of it overboard.
(c) Burning some of its sheets.
(d) Copying each other.
4. Why does Maturin bring the bodies in question #149 to Van Buren?
(a) To bury them.
(b) To dissect them.
(c) To show him the effects of peppering.
(d) To look at a possible new disease.
5. Where does Diane arrive at the beginning of Chapter 6?
6. Why is the Inaccessible Island given that name?
(a) The sheer cliffs that rise out of the water.
(b) The huge coral reef that surrounds it.
(c) The bogs along the shore.
(d) The type of people who live there.
7. How does the crew of the Diane feel about Maturin staying ashore in a bawdy-house?
8. For what is Van Buren widely esteemed?
(a) As a preeminent surgeon.
(b) As a diplomat.
(c) As a firey orator.
(d) As a natural philosopher.
9. What does Maturin tell Aubrey about the riot?
(a) It happens all the time in Pulo Prabang.
(b) He needs to get all the British aboard ship.
(c) He will get an appointment with the vizier to find out what happened.
(d) A suggestion of his was the impetus.
10. What does Dumesnil tell Aubrey about the Cornelie?
(a) It is careened and needs repairs.
(b) It has been seized by the Sultan.
(c) It is there for smuggling against the Sultan.
(d) It is faster than the Diane.
11. What kind of response does Diane have to sailing?
(a) About ordinary.
(b) Extremely fast and responsive but rides too low.
12. What does Maturin think of the French presentation to the Sultan?
(a) It was precise but inspiring.
(b) It was interesting.
(c) It was uninspiring.
(d) It was dynamic.
13. How is Abdul executed?
(a) Shot by firing squad.
(c) Quartered with horses.
14. What type of work for the Dutch does Van Buren do?
(a) Queen's physician.
15. What is the crew like on the Diane?
(a) Sloppy and undisciplined.
(b) Well intergrated.
(c) Disciplined but new.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two bodies does Maturin bring to Van Buren?
2. What does the delegation find out about the French at the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. What has caused the riot in Pulo Prabang that is happening when Maturin returns from the monastery?
4. What type of network does Van Buren have?
5. How did Aubrey and Fox feel towards each other?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)