|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would the Sultan not want any French or English bodies found on his land?
(a) It would cause disease.
(b) It is against his religion.
(c) It would embarrass him.
(d) It would start a war.
2. What do Aubrey and Maturin learn about banks in England?
(a) Several small banks have merged.
(b) The industry is strong.
(c) Money has become too tight.
(d) Many banks are collapsing due to scandal.
3. Where does Diane head after leaving Pulo Prabang?
(c) South Africa.
4. How many midshipmen does Diane have?
5. What have the midshipmen been doing with their journals on spherical trigonometry?
(a) Throwning sheets of it overboard.
(b) Tearing out the sheets.
(c) Burning some of its sheets.
(d) Copying each other.
6. How did Aubrey and Fox feel towards each other?
(a) Enthusiastic respect.
(d) Restrained dislike.
7. Why does Fox enlist a group of British diplomats to accompany him to Pulo Prabang?
(a) He's not sure which expert he will need.
(b) To over match the French in numbers.
(c) All of them want to go.
(d) For safety.
8. How many men short is the crew of a full complement?
9. What does the delegation find out about the French at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) They don't find out anything about the French.
(b) The French's delegation ship sank.
(c) The French decided not to send a delegation.
(d) The French have already arrived in Pulo Prabang.
10. About what subject are the diplomats ignorant?
(a) Eating habits on ship.
(b) How to travel inconspicuously.
(c) Military traditions on land.
(d) Maritime practice and precedent.
11. Why does Fox decide to give a tour of Diane to the Sultan?
(a) To scare him.
(b) To show what the English have captured from the French.
(c) To isolate him from the French.
(d) To impress him.
12. What does the Sultan announce shortly after the Sultan returns?
(a) Neither proposal is accepted.
(b) The Spanish proposal is accepted.
(c) The French proposal is accepted.
(d) The English proposal is accepted.
13. What type of demeanor did Fox most exhibit?
(d) Cynical and skeptical.
14. What kind of arrangements does Maturin make regarding Pulo Prabang?
15. Why did Fox see much of Maturin?
(a) He was interested in medicine.
(b) He liked Maturin.
(c) He was a hypochondriac.
(d) He was an amateur naturalist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Maturin unable to collect any specimens at the monastery?
2. What offer to the French has the Sultan officially rejected?
3. How is Diane taken out of her predicament with the wind dying?
4. How is Abdul executed?
5. What does Fox quote to Maturin one night?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)