|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Aubrey respond to Standish's request from question #44?
(a) Tells him he has to stay on the ship until the next port.
(b) Denies his request.
(c) Grants his request.
(d) Tells him he will think about it.
2. What piece of land does the Surprise turn around after leaving the North Channel in Chapter 2?
(a) Iberian Peninsula.
(b) Horn of Africa.
(c) Malin Head.
(d) Cape Bougote.
3. What do Aubrey and Maturin do after Maturin enlists Ahmed?
(a) Go see Maturin's brother.
(b) Go aboard Diane and prepare to leave.
(c) Go to a gambling house.
(d) Go to the Admirality.
4. Where is Surprise bound?
(a) South America.
(b) New Zealand.
5. What kind of sailor is Pullings?
(c) Good but has made some mistakes.
6. How does Aubrey feel about Standish's problem?
(c) He finds it humorous.
7. In what does Maturin instruct Standish as the ship enters the first port?
(a) Maritime processes.
(b) How to quit drinking.
(c) How to cure gout.
(d) How to avoid seasickness.
8. Who is Sir Joseph Blaine in relationship to Maturin's covert job?
(a) The person Maturin is supposed to assassinate.
(b) His contact.
(c) He has no relationship to Maturin's second job.
(d) His nominal superior.
9. Where does Surprise leave England?
(a) Near Portsmouth.
(b) New Newington.
(c) Near London.
(d) Near Land's End.
10. On what date does the Diane leave port?
(a) May 15, 1813.
(b) May 23, 1813.
(c) May 12, 1813.
(d) May 10, 1813.
11. What reference by Maturin at dinner did Aubrey overhear?
(a) To the Fuggers.
(b) A reference to marriage.
(c) To the Queen.
(d) A reference about sailing the cape.
12. What does Edward Fox ask Aubrey about in Chapter 4?
(a) If the ship Diane is a good vessel.
(b) Naval honors an envoy might expect.
(c) Whether Aubrey has ever transported a delegation.
(d) How long it will take to be ready to leave.
13. What French warship is in the Pulo Prabang port?
(a) The Astute Legion.
14. What position does Blyth hold on the Diane?
(b) Captain's stewart.
15. How much seniority did Aubrey lose?
(a) One year.
(b) Fourteen weeks.
(c) Six months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maturin do as Aubrey is being reinstated?
2. What does Standish decide to do with the situation Sir Joseph has established?
3. What kind of ship does Surprise spot shortly after it leaves England?
4. What is the second lieutenant's nickname?
5. What is the head of Pulo Prabang called?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)