|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Maturin thinks about his earlier life living in a country in Chapter 2. What is that country?
2. Why did Martin take a position on the Surprise?
(a) For adventure.
(b) To support his new wife.
(c) He is in trouble with the constable.
(d) To send his child to college.
3. What kind of sanctuary does Maturin know about at Kumai?
(a) A Catholic one.
(b) A bird sanctuary.
(c) A Buddhist one.
(d) A Hindu one.
4. How much seniority did Aubrey lose?
(a) Fourteen weeks.
(c) Six months.
(d) One year.
5. What does Maturin think about in relation to Batavia?
(a) The natural splendors.
(b) Whether the women are all married.
(c) How many friends he has there.
(d) The native people.
6. What is Aubrey's primary goal in captaining the Surprise?
(a) Killing French sailors.
(b) Staying away from England.
(c) Reinstatement in the royal navy.
(d) Making money.
7. What kind of orders does Sir Joseph have for the Surprise?
(a) To go to France and harass French shipping.
(b) To return to England.
(c) To not go to South America.
(d) To leave for Boston immediately.
8. Who will lead the British delegation to Pulo Prabang?
(a) Edward Fox.
(b) The Prince of Wales.
(d) The Duke of Meadows.
9. What does Maturin do as Aubrey is being reinstated?
(a) Visit his wife.
(b) Try to get his banking situation in order.
(c) Go see Sir Joseph.
(d) Go to his old medical school to find a book.
10. Why is Pullings on the Surprise?
(a) He has no naval command of his own.
(b) He wants to make a name for himself.
(c) He is the owner of Surprise.
(d) He is running from the law.
11. On what date does the Diane leave port?
(a) May 15, 1813.
(b) May 23, 1813.
(c) May 10, 1813.
(d) May 12, 1813.
12. What kind of trip did Sir Joseph have to meet the Surprise?
(a) A pleasant ocean voyage.
(b) Hellish overland journey.
(c) He was already there.
(d) He had a leisurely overland journey.
13. What kind of experience does the crew on the Surprise have?
(a) They are average sailors.
(c) They are mostly new sailors.
(d) They are a mixture of new and experienced sailors.
14. Why was a former loblolly who Maturin knew arrested and transported?
(a) For burning a ship.
(b) For stealing laudanum.
(c) For attacking Maturin.
(d) For attacking the captain.
15. Who is the first lieutenant aboard the Diane?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Aubrey and Maturin do after meeting with Fox?
2. What does Aubrey do about his new orders?
3. How does Aubrey feel towards Ledward and Wray?
4. What country will the Surprise circumvent first?
5. Where was Padeen transported for his crimes?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)