|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does MacCruiskeen think he can control if he can understand the screams?
2. What does Divney say he used to kill the narrator?
3. What is different about Divney?
4. What happens to you while you are in eternity?
5. Why does Divney claim the narrator can't be there?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does McCruiskeen plan to defeat the one-legged men?
2. What does de Selby believe about the shape of the world?
3. Why does the narrator think the police cannot hang him?
4. What does the narrator see outside of Mathers' house?
5. Summarize the novel.
6. What does the narrator dream about at the beginning of the chapter?
7. Why does the narrator fall in love with the bicycle in this chapter?
8. What does de Selby say about heaven?
9. How does Divney react to seeing the narrator?
10. Why does Pluck think all modes of transport are dangerous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1940s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Why does O'Brien end the play with the narrator waiting for Divney? Could have ended the novel another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the novel?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)