|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pluck say wants to die?
2. Who is Divney standing next to?
3. What does Plunk say too much starch in his clothes gave him?
4. What does MacCrusikeen do until dark?
5. Who does the inspector think has murdered Mathers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator get the builder to help him?
2. How does McCruiskeen plan to defeat the one-legged men?
3. Why does the narrator think the police cannot hang him?
4. What does Fox tell the narrator about the money box?
5. Why do the policeman consent to show the narrator what their figures mean?
6. Describe the story Pluck tells about the man who went up in a balloon?
7. What does the narrator dream about at the beginning of the chapter?
8. Summarize the novel.
9. What does the narrator see when he arrives back at his house?
10. What does de Selby say about heaven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Pluck's obsession with bicycles say about his character? How does Pluck obsession with bicycles relate to the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the construction of O'Brien's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in O'Brien's argument?
Essay Topic 3
The author wrote THE THIRD POLICEMAN in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)