|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the builder drop on his foot?
2. What man other than Fox was driven mad by MacCruiskeen's cards?
3. What is MacCruiskeen working on when Gilvaney enters the office?
4. What did the neighbors form to force the man to tell them where he had been?
5. Where do Pluck and MacCruiskeen sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the map Pluck shows him?
2. What does de Selby believe about the shape of the world?
3. Why is de Selby's Codex impossible to decipher?
4. How does the narrator get the builder to help him?
5. How did MacCruiskeen drive two men mad?
6. Why does the narrator think the police cannot hang him?
7. What does the narrator see outside of Mathers' house?
8. Why does the narrator fall in love with the bicycle in this chapter?
9. Summarize the novel.
10. What does the narrator see when he arrives back at his house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the novel's premise? Why are premises are so important to a story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Why does O'Brien use so few settings? How does O'Brien create a world away from the few settings he uses? What colors and objects does O'Brien use and what meaning does it give to the setting?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)