|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose house does the narrator stop to look at?
2. What do MacCruiskeen and Pluck confer over?
3. What is different about Divney?
4. What does the light do when MacCruiskeen runs it through the mangle?
5. What does Fox say was in the money box?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pluck think all modes of transport are dangerous?
2. Summarize the novel.
3. How does the narrator describe the map Pluck shows him?
4. Why does the narrator think the police cannot hang him?
5. What does de Selby say about heaven?
6. Why does the narrator fall in love with the bicycle in this chapter?
7. How does McCruiskeen plan to defeat the one-legged men?
8. How does the Codex relate to the situation the narrator finds himself in?
9. Why do the policeman consent to show the narrator what their figures mean?
10. What does Fox tell the narrator about the money box?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Pluck's obsession with bicycles say about his character? How does Pluck obsession with bicycles relate to the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)