|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Fox say is on the way to save the narrator?
2. What does the narrator eventually arrive back to?
3. What did the neighbors form to force the man to tell them where he had been?
4. What does Pluck show the narrator?
5. Who does Pluck claim is the murderer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pluck think all modes of transport are dangerous?
2. Why does the narrator fall in love with the bicycle in this chapter?
3. Summarize the novel.
4. How does the narrator get the builder to help him?
5. Why does the narrator think the police cannot hang him?
6. How does the narrator arrive back at the beginning of the story?
7. What does de Selby say about heaven?
8. What does Fox tell the narrator about the money box?
9. Why do the policeman consent to show the narrator what their figures mean?
10. How does the narrator describe the map Pluck shows him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Replace the book's setting with one of the following settings:
What new meaning would the new setting give the book? How important is setting for developing meaning in a story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Why does O'Brien end the play with the narrator waiting for Divney? Could have ended the novel another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the novel?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)