|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator think they cannot hang him?
2. Who does Pluck say wants to die?
3. What is different about Meers?
4. Who does Pluck claim is the murderer?
5. What will Pluck and his men wear to protect them from MacCruiskeen's bike?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does McCruiskeen plan to defeat the one-legged men?
2. How does the narrator get the builder to help him?
3. What does Fox tell the narrator about the money box?
4. Summarize the novel.
5. What does the narrator dream about at the beginning of the chapter?
6. Where does Pluck take the narrator in this chapter?
7. Why do the policeman consent to show the narrator what their figures mean?
8. How have the one legged men disguised themselves?
9. How does the Codex relate to the situation the narrator finds himself in?
10. What does de Selby believe about the shape of the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main turning points of the book? How does O'Brien develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)