|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator send the builder to talk to?
2. What does Fox say was in the money box?
3. What is de Selby's idea of heaven bound up with?
4. Why does the narrator think they cannot hang him?
5. Who does the narrator say goodbye to in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Codex relate to the situation the narrator finds himself in?
2. What does the narrator see outside of Mathers' house?
3. How have the one legged men disguised themselves?
4. Why does the narrator think the police cannot hang him?
5. How did de Selby once confuse a boy about the boy's problems?
6. What does the narrator dream about at the beginning of the chapter?
7. Summarize the novel.
8. Where does Pluck take the narrator in this chapter?
9. What does Fox tell the narrator about the money box?
10. Why is de Selby's Codex impossible to decipher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
What is the novel's premise? Why are premises are so important to a story?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)