|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the inspector think has murdered Mathers?
2. What does the light do when MacCruiskeen runs it through the mangle?
3. What does the narrator work up the courage to ask about?
4. What does Pluck show the narrator?
5. What is Divney doing when the narrator enters his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have the one legged men disguised themselves?
2. Where does Pluck take the narrator in this chapter?
3. Why does Pluck think all modes of transport are dangerous?
4. What does the narrator see when he arrives back at his house?
5. Why is de Selby's Codex impossible to decipher?
6. What does Fox tell the narrator about the money box?
7. How does the narrator get a reprieve?
8. What does de Selby say about heaven?
9. Why does the narrator think the police cannot hang him?
10. How does the Codex relate to the situation the narrator finds himself in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the book? How does O'Brien develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 2
What is the novel's premise? Why are premises are so important to a story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the narrator's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did the narrator hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes the narrator's ideas about life?
3. How has the narrator's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)