|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the light do when MacCruiskeen runs it through the mangle?
2. What was the last thing the authorities hanged?
3. What is attempting to escape from the holding cell?
4. What happens to the narrator when his soul leaves him?
5. What does Pluck show the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the map Pluck shows him?
2. How does the narrator get a reprieve?
3. How did de Selby once confuse a boy about the boy's problems?
4. What does Fox tell the narrator about the money box?
5. How does Divney react to seeing the narrator?
6. What does de Selby say about heaven?
7. How does the narrator arrive back at the beginning of the story?
8. Why does Pluck think all modes of transport are dangerous?
9. How did MacCruiskeen drive two men mad?
10. How does the narrator get the builder to help him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of O'Brien's previous books and contrast it with the Third Policeman in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
Compare the narrator's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did the narrator hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes the narrator's ideas about life?
3. How has the narrator's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)