|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has MacCruiskeen left at the police barracks?
2. What does MacCruiskeen think he can control if he can understand the screams?
3. What does the narrator eventually arrive back to?
4. What does MacCruiskeen lose when Gilhaney sends him flying?
5. Where do Pluck and MacCruiskeen sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does de Selby say about heaven?
2. What does Fox tell the narrator about the money box?
3. What does the narrator dream about at the beginning of the chapter?
4. How does the narrator get a reprieve?
5. Why is de Selby's Codex impossible to decipher?
6. Where does Pluck take the narrator in this chapter?
7. How does the narrator describe the map Pluck shows him?
8. Describe the story Pluck tells about the man who went up in a balloon?
9. Summarize the novel.
10. How have the one legged men disguised themselves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1940s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
What is the novel's premise? Why are premises are so important to a story?
Essay Topic 3
Why does O'Brien use so few settings? How does O'Brien create a world away from the few settings he uses? What colors and objects does O'Brien use and what meaning does it give to the setting?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)