|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose house does the narrator run past?
2. Why does Divney claim the narrator can't be there?
3. What does Pluck show the narrator?
4. Why does the narrator form such a deep attachment to Pluck's bike?
5. What is Divney doing when the narrator enters his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator arrive back at the beginning of the story?
2. Where does Pluck take the narrator in this chapter?
3. What does the narrator dream about at the beginning of the chapter?
4. How does McCruiskeen plan to defeat the one-legged men?
5. How does the narrator describe the map Pluck shows him?
6. How does Divney react to seeing the narrator?
7. Why does the narrator fall in love with the bicycle in this chapter?
8. What does Fox tell the narrator about the money box?
9. How did MacCruiskeen drive two men mad?
10. What does de Selby believe about the shape of the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the construction of O'Brien's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in O'Brien's argument?
Essay Topic 2
What is the novel's premise? Why are premises are so important to a story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)