|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the road past the police station lead to?
2. What did de Selby undergo many lawsuits to obtain?
3. What does Pluck show the narrator?
4. What does the narrator work up the courage to ask about?
5. What is Divney doing when the narrator enters his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator see when he arrives back at his house?
2. How does the Codex relate to the situation the narrator finds himself in?
3. What does Fox tell the narrator about the money box?
4. How does McCruiskeen plan to defeat the one-legged men?
5. Why does Pluck think all modes of transport are dangerous?
6. Why do the policeman consent to show the narrator what their figures mean?
7. How does the narrator get the builder to help him?
8. What does the narrator dream about at the beginning of the chapter?
9. How does the narrator arrive back at the beginning of the story?
10. Why does the narrator fall in love with the bicycle in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why does O'Brien use so few settings? How does O'Brien create a world away from the few settings he uses? What colors and objects does O'Brien use and what meaning does it give to the setting?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)