|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Pluck and MacCruiskeen sleep?
2. What does MacCruiskeen say is happening at eternity?
3. What is the builder's leg made from?
4. Who does Pluck say wants to die?
5. What man other than Fox was driven mad by MacCruiskeen's cards?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does McCruiskeen plan to defeat the one-legged men?
2. Why do the policeman consent to show the narrator what their figures mean?
3. How does the narrator describe the map Pluck shows him?
4. How does the Codex relate to the situation the narrator finds himself in?
5. Describe the story Pluck tells about the man who went up in a balloon?
6. Summarize the novel.
7. What does de Selby believe about the shape of the world?
8. Why does the narrator fall in love with the bicycle in this chapter?
9. What does the narrator see when he arrives back at his house?
10. How have the one legged men disguised themselves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
What is Mathers' role in the novel? How would think the novel would change if Mathers did not reappear after his death?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)