|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Divney doing when the narrator enters his house?
2. What does Pluck compare the slow leak in his clothes to?
3. Who does the inspector think has murdered Mathers?
4. Where does Divney say he hid the bomb?
5. Who sent up another balloon to find the man?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Codex relate to the situation the narrator finds himself in?
2. How does the narrator get the builder to help him?
3. Why does Pluck think all modes of transport are dangerous?
4. How does McCruiskeen plan to defeat the one-legged men?
5. What does the narrator see outside of Mathers' house?
6. What does Fox tell the narrator about the money box?
7. What does the narrator see when he arrives back at his house?
8. Where does Pluck take the narrator in this chapter?
9. How have the one legged men disguised themselves?
10. Why does the narrator think the police cannot hang him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author wrote THE THIRD POLICEMAN in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the construction of O'Brien's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in O'Brien's argument?
Essay Topic 3
What problems does the narrator's generation face? How are the problems for the narrator's generation different from the problems his father's generation face? Identify and discuss a significant problem facing your generation.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)