|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does O'Corky announce has been murdered?
2. What does MacCruiskeen say is happening at eternity?
3. Where does the road past the police station lead to?
4. What is attempting to escape from the holding cell?
5. What does Divney say he used to kill the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator get a reprieve?
2. What does Fox tell the narrator about the money box?
3. How does Divney react to seeing the narrator?
4. How does the Codex relate to the situation the narrator finds himself in?
5. How does the narrator describe the map Pluck shows him?
6. What does the narrator see outside of Mathers' house?
7. How does the narrator arrive back at the beginning of the story?
8. Describe the story Pluck tells about the man who went up in a balloon?
9. Why does the narrator think the police cannot hang him?
10. What does de Selby believe about the shape of the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
What problems does the narrator's generation face? How are the problems for the narrator's generation different from the problems his father's generation face? Identify and discuss a significant problem facing your generation.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)