|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator say goodbye to in this chapter?
2. Where does Pluck find a note from Fox?
3. What is the builder's leg made from?
4. What does MacCruiskeen say he is going to paint his bicycle?
5. What is different about Meers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did MacCruiskeen drive two men mad?
2. What does de Selby believe about the shape of the world?
3. How have the one legged men disguised themselves?
4. Why does the narrator think the police cannot hang him?
5. How does Divney react to seeing the narrator?
6. How does the narrator get a reprieve?
7. How does the narrator describe the map Pluck shows him?
8. Describe the story Pluck tells about the man who went up in a balloon?
9. What does the narrator dream about at the beginning of the chapter?
10. How does the Codex relate to the situation the narrator finds himself in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author wrote THE THIRD POLICEMAN in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
What is Mathers' role in the novel? How would think the novel would change if Mathers did not reappear after his death?
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)