|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pluck say happened to the man who went up in a balloon?
2. What is de Selby's idea of heaven bound up with?
3. Who is Divney standing next to?
4. What kind of bicycle does the narrator say Gilhaney has?
5. What does Pluck compare the slow leak in his clothes to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator see when he arrives back at his house?
2. Describe the story Pluck tells about the man who went up in a balloon?
3. How does McCruiskeen plan to defeat the one-legged men?
4. What does de Selby believe about the shape of the world?
5. Why does the narrator think the police cannot hang him?
6. How does the narrator describe the map Pluck shows him?
7. Why does the narrator fall in love with the bicycle in this chapter?
8. What does Fox tell the narrator about the money box?
9. How did MacCruiskeen drive two men mad?
10. Where does Pluck take the narrator in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1940s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
What is the novel's premise? Why are premises are so important to a story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the narrator's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did the narrator hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes the narrator's ideas about life?
3. How has the narrator's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)