|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about Meers?
2. Who is the next person to come into the police barracks?
3. Why does Divney claim the narrator can't be there?
4. Where does Pluck find a note from Fox?
5. What does MacCruiskeen say he is going to paint his bicycle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did MacCruiskeen drive two men mad?
2. Why does the narrator think the police cannot hang him?
3. What does Fox tell the narrator about the money box?
4. How does the narrator arrive back at the beginning of the story?
5. What does the narrator see when he arrives back at his house?
6. What does the narrator see outside of Mathers' house?
7. How does the narrator get the builder to help him?
8. How have the one legged men disguised themselves?
9. How does the Codex relate to the situation the narrator finds himself in?
10. How does the narrator describe the map Pluck shows him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
What does Pluck's obsession with bicycles say about his character? How does Pluck obsession with bicycles relate to the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)