|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the builder drop on his foot?
2. Who does Pluck say wants to die?
3. What happens to the narrator when his soul leaves him?
4. What does Pluck say happened to the man who went up in a balloon?
5. Who does the narrator see through the window of his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Codex relate to the situation the narrator finds himself in?
2. What does the narrator see when he arrives back at his house?
3. Where does Pluck take the narrator in this chapter?
4. What does the narrator dream about at the beginning of the chapter?
5. How did de Selby once confuse a boy about the boy's problems?
6. How does the narrator get the builder to help him?
7. Why is de Selby's Codex impossible to decipher?
8. How have the one legged men disguised themselves?
9. How does the narrator get a reprieve?
10. Why does the narrator think the police cannot hang him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does O'Brien end the play with the narrator waiting for Divney? Could have ended the novel another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
What does Pluck's obsession with bicycles say about his character? How does Pluck obsession with bicycles relate to the novel's themes?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)