|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Divney claim the narrator can't be there?
2. When is the narrator scheduled to be hanged?
3. What happens to you while you are in eternity?
4. Where do Pluck and MacCruiskeen sleep?
5. Who does Pluck say slept in the bed next to the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the novel.
2. How does the narrator get the builder to help him?
3. How does Divney react to seeing the narrator?
4. What does de Selby say about heaven?
5. What does Fox tell the narrator about the money box?
6. Describe the story Pluck tells about the man who went up in a balloon?
7. Where does Pluck take the narrator in this chapter?
8. What does the narrator dream about at the beginning of the chapter?
9. How did de Selby once confuse a boy about the boy's problems?
10. How did MacCruiskeen drive two men mad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Pluck's obsession with bicycles say about his character? How does Pluck obsession with bicycles relate to the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Replace the book's setting with one of the following settings:
What new meaning would the new setting give the book? How important is setting for developing meaning in a story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)