|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does MacCruiskeen show the narrator after the spear?
2. What was Mather's job?
3. What does the narrator say de Selby disapproves of?
4. What society does Finnucane say he is head of?
5. Who does Pluck say Gilhaney tricked into riding his bicycle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have the one legged men disguised themselves?
2. Why does Divney suggest they murder Mathers?
3. What does Mathers tell the narrator about his own wind color?
4. How does Divney react to seeing the narrator?
5. Why is MacCruiskeen's piano special?
6. How does the narrator describe the police barracks?
7. What does de Selby believe about the shape of the world?
8. What does Pluck tell the narrator about Fox?
9. How does the narrator describe the map Pluck shows him?
10. How does the narrator perplex Sergeant Pluck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Why does O'Brien use so few settings? How does O'Brien create a world away from the few settings he uses? What colors and objects does O'Brien use and what meaning does it give to the setting?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1940s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)