|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about Mathers' neck?
2. What career did the boy de Selby confused eventually turn to?
3. What part of the narrator's body do the doctors have to amputate?
4. Why does the narrator allow Divney to run the farm?
5. What is the name of Divney's girlfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pluck assume about the narrator because he has no name?
2. How does the narrator describe the boxes MacCruiskeen shows him?
3. Why does Pluck think Gilaney is lecherous?
4. How does the narrator describe the police barracks?
5. How does Divney end up working on the farm?
6. What does de Selby say about movement?
7. What happens when the narrator opens the moneybox?
8. What does Pluck say about his atom theory?
9. What does de Selby say about roads?
10. Why does Divney suggest they murder Mathers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main turning points of the book? How does O'Brien develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)