Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator's mother run?
2. What does Finnucane point the narrator towards?
3. What did de Selby confuse the boy with?
4. What of the following does de Selby claim he did not use to make a journey?
5. What does Mathers say has different colors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the narrator opens the moneybox?
2. What does Mathers tell the narrator about wind?
3. Why is MacCruiskeen's piano special?
4. Why does Divney suggest they murder Mathers?
5. How did MacCruiskeen drive two men mad?
6. How does the narrator perplex Sergeant Pluck?
7. What does Pluck say about his atom theory?
8. What does Pluck assume about the narrator because he has no name?
9. How do Divney and the narrator murder Mathers?
10. How does Pluck respond to the narrator's claim someone has stolen his gold watch?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1940s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
The author wrote THE THIRD POLICEMAN in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the construction of O'Brien's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in O'Brien's argument?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)