|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say has changed since he entered Mathers' house?
2. What does Finnucane point the narrator towards?
3. What is the name of the first book the narrator reads by de Selby?
4. What does de Selby believe is a hallucination?
5. What does Mathers say it means if a person has a light color?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people change into bicycles and bicycles change into people?
2. How does the narrator become obsessed with the philosopher, de Selby?
3. What does Pluck say about his atom theory?
4. What does Pluck assume about the narrator because he has no name?
5. How does the narrator describe the spear MacCruiskeen shows him?
6. What changes as the narrator walks down the road?
7. Where does Pluck find the bicycle and all its parts?
8. How does the narrator perplex Sergeant Pluck?
9. What does Pluck say bicycles do during bad weather?
10. How does the narrator describe the boxes MacCruiskeen shows him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Replace the book's setting with one of the following settings:
What new meaning would the new setting give the book? How important is setting for developing meaning in a story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Pick two characters from the book and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)