|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pluck say bicycles are made from?
2. Where do bicycles go during bad weather?
3. What is the name of the second policeman who enters the office?
4. What is transferred to a human when he or she rides a bike?
5. What was Mather's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fox tell the narrator about the money box?
2. How does the narrator describe the spear MacCruiskeen shows him?
3. Why does Pluck think all modes of transport are dangerous?
4. What does the narrator see when he arrives back at his house?
5. Why is de Selby's Codex impossible to decipher?
6. How does the narrator describe the police barracks?
7. What does de Selby believe about the shape of the world?
8. What does the narrator dream about at the beginning of the chapter?
9. What does Pluck say bicycles do during bad weather?
10. What is de Selby's opinion on houses?
Essay Topic 1
What is the novel's premise? Why are premises are so important to a story?
Essay Topic 2
What problems does the narrator's generation face? How are the problems for the narrator's generation different from the problems his father's generation face? Identify and discuss a significant problem facing your generation.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1940s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)