Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator's mother run?
2. What does Finnucane point the narrator towards?
3. What did de Selby confuse the boy with?
4. What of the following does de Selby claim he did not use to make a journey?
5. What does Mathers say has different colors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the narrator opens the moneybox?
2. What does Mathers tell the narrator about wind?
3. Why is MacCruiskeen's piano special?
4. Why does Divney suggest they murder Mathers?
5. How did MacCruiskeen drive two men mad?
6. How does the narrator perplex Sergeant Pluck?
7. What does Pluck say about his atom theory?
8. What does Pluck assume about the narrator because he has no name?
9. How do Divney and the narrator murder Mathers?
10. How does Pluck respond to the narrator's claim someone has stolen his gold watch?
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main turning points of the book? How does O'Brien develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 3
Why does O'Brien end the play with the narrator waiting for Divney? Could have ended the novel another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the novel?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)