|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do bicycles lean against in people's houses?
2. Who does the narrator believe Mathers to be?
3. What kind of miniature instrument does MacCruiskeen own?
4. Where does Mathers say the other policemen can be found?
5. What is the name of the local man who enters the police barracks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is de Selby's Codex impossible to decipher?
2. What does Pluck tell the narrator about Fox?
3. What does the stranger reveal about himself?
4. What does de Selby say about movement?
5. What does de Selby say about heaven?
6. Why does the narrator have a wooden leg?
7. Why does Pluck think Gilaney is lecherous?
8. Why does the narrator fall in love with the bicycle in this chapter?
9. What does de Selby believe about the shape of the world?
10. How does the narrator describe the spear MacCruiskeen shows him?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1940s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the narrator's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did the narrator hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes the narrator's ideas about life?
3. How has the narrator's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)