|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only person who can hear the piano's music?
2. What does Pluck say Gilhaney is turning into?
3. What starts to go missing from the customers when Divney comes back with his new drink?
4. What does the narrator say has changed since he entered Mathers' house?
5. Where does Pluck find Gilhaney's bicycle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pluck think Gilaney is lecherous?
2. What is de Selby's opinion on houses?
3. How does Pluck respond to the narrator's claim someone has stolen his gold watch?
4. What does Mathers say to the narrator?
5. Where does Pluck find the bicycle and all its parts?
6. What does Pluck say about the figures he looks over with MacCruiskeen?
7. What changes as the narrator walks down the road?
8. What does Mathers tell the narrator about his own wind color?
9. What does the narrator do as he walks down the road?
10. What does Pluck tell the narrator about Fox?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the construction of O'Brien's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in O'Brien's argument?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)