|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Divney use to hit Mathers?
2. What of the following does de Selby claim he did not use to make a journey?
3. According to Pluck what does a bicycle rider eventually become?
4. What is the name of the second policeman who enters the office?
5. Who does Divney suggest he and narrator rob and murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pluck respond to the narrator's claim someone has stolen his gold watch?
2. How does the narrator describe the boxes MacCruiskeen shows him?
3. How does Divney change the atmosphere at the pub?
4. What does Pluck say about his atom theory?
5. What does Pluck assume about the narrator because he has no name?
6. What does de Selby say about roads?
7. Why is MacCruiskeen's piano special?
8. Where does Pluck find the bicycle and all its parts?
9. What does Mathers tell the narrator about his own wind color?
10. How do Divney and the narrator murder Mathers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Replace the book's setting with one of the following settings:
What new meaning would the new setting give the book? How important is setting for developing meaning in a story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why does O'Brien end the play with the narrator waiting for Divney? Could have ended the novel another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the novel?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)