|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Finnucane's leg made from?
2. According to Pluck what do bicycles eventually become?
3. What does the narrator call his book about de Selby?
4. What is the name of the second policeman who enters the office?
5. Who is the only person who can hear the piano's music?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mathers tells the narrator about the policeman at the police barracks?
2. What is de Selby's opinion on houses?
3. What does de Selby say about movement?
4. How does the narrator perplex Sergeant Pluck?
5. How does the stranger say he can help the narrator?
6. How does the narrator become obsessed with the philosopher, de Selby?
7. How does Divney change the atmosphere at the pub?
8. What does de Selby say about roads?
9. How does Divney end up working on the farm?
10. How does the narrator describe the boxes MacCruiskeen shows him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Mathers' role in the novel? How would think the novel would change if Mathers did not reappear after his death?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main turning points of the book? How does O'Brien develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)