|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the local man who enters the police barracks?
2. What part of the narrator's body do the doctors have to amputate?
3. What kind of drink does Divney go in search of?
4. Where does the narrator lie down to sleep?
5. What do bicycles lean against in people's houses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mathers tell the narrator about wind?
2. What does Mathers tells the narrator about the policeman at the police barracks?
3. What does the stranger reveal about himself?
4. Where does Pluck find the bicycle and all its parts?
5. How does the narrator describe the police barracks?
6. What does de Selby say about movement?
7. What does Mathers tell the narrator about his own wind color?
8. Why does Pluck think Gilaney is lecherous?
9. Why does the narrator have a wooden leg?
10. Why does Pluck say he found it so easy to find Gilhaney's bicycle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
What problems does the narrator's generation face? How are the problems for the narrator's generation different from the problems his father's generation face? Identify and discuss a significant problem facing your generation.
Essay Topic 3
What is Mathers' role in the novel? How would think the novel would change if Mathers did not reappear after his death?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)