|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the money box?
2. What does the man sitting near the narrator reveal himself to be?
3. What did the narrator's mother run?
4. What did MacCruiskeen decide to put in the box?
5. Which of the policeman does Mathers say has been missing for twenty-five years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pluck say bicycles do during bad weather?
2. Why does the narrator think it is not a good idea to say no to everything?
3. What does Pluck assume about the narrator because he has no name?
4. How does the narrator become obsessed with the philosopher, de Selby?
5. What does de Selby say about mirrors?
6. How does Divney change the atmosphere at the pub?
7. How does the narrator perplex Sergeant Pluck?
8. What does Mathers tells the narrator about the policeman at the police barracks?
9. Why does Pluck say he found it so easy to find Gilhaney's bicycle?
10. What does Mathers tell the narrator about his own wind color?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
What is the novel's premise? Why are premises are so important to a story?
Essay Topic 3
Why does O'Brien end the play with the narrator waiting for Divney? Could have ended the novel another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the novel?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)