|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does de Selby think is the only way you can travel on the long dimension of the earth?
2. What kind of drink does Divney go in search of?
3. Where does Mathers say the other policemen can be found?
4. Where does Divney claim he hid the money?
5. What was the narrator's father's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pluck respond to the narrator's claim someone has stolen his gold watch?
2. How does Divney change the atmosphere at the pub?
3. What does Mathers tell the narrator about wind?
4. What does Mathers tells the narrator about the policeman at the police barracks?
5. What does the stranger reveal about himself?
6. What changes as the narrator walks down the road?
7. What happens when the narrator opens the moneybox?
8. What does Pluck assume about the narrator because he has no name?
9. Why does Pluck say he found it so easy to find Gilhaney's bicycle?
10. Why does the narrator think it is not a good idea to say no to everything?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1940s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
What is the novel's premise? Why are premises are so important to a story?
Essay Topic 3
Why does O'Brien end the play with the narrator waiting for Divney? Could have ended the novel another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the novel?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)