|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does MacCruiskeen show the narrator after the spear?
2. Who does Pluck assume is the narrator's father?
3. What does Mathers say has different colors?
4. Who does the stranger threaten to murder?
5. What does the man sitting near the narrator reveal himself to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mathers tell the narrator about his own wind color?
2. What does Pluck say about the figures he looks over with MacCruiskeen?
3. Where does Pluck find the bicycle and all its parts?
4. What does the stranger reveal about himself?
5. How does Divney end up working on the farm?
6. What happens when the narrator opens the moneybox?
7. Why does Pluck say he found it so easy to find Gilhaney's bicycle?
8. What does Mathers tell the narrator about wind?
9. How does the stranger say he can help the narrator?
10. Why does the narrator have a wooden leg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Replace the book's setting with one of the following settings:
What new meaning would the new setting give the book? How important is setting for developing meaning in a story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1940s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)