|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does de Selby believe is a hallucination?
2. Why does the narrator allow Divney to run the farm?
3. What does Finnucane point the narrator towards?
4. What does de Selby's theory about roads state a road has?
5. What does the narrator say de Selby disapproves of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mathers tell the narrator about his own wind color?
2. What does Pluck say humans do when they turn into bicycles?
3. Why does Pluck say he found it so easy to find Gilhaney's bicycle?
4. How does the narrator describe the boxes MacCruiskeen shows him?
5. What does Pluck tell the narrator about Fox?
6. How does the stranger say he can help the narrator?
7. What is de Selby's opinion on houses?
8. What does the stranger reveal about himself?
9. What does Pluck say bicycles do during bad weather?
10. What does Pluck say about his atom theory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does O'Brien end the play with the narrator waiting for Divney? Could have ended the novel another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)