|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the invisible point on the spear stretch 6 inches in front of?
2. Where does Pluck find Gilhaney's bicycle?
3. What is the name of the third policeman?
4. Who does Divney suggest he and narrator rob and murder?
5. Who does the narrator set off to find the next morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Divney and the narrator murder Mathers?
2. Why does the narrator have a wooden leg?
3. What does Mathers tells the narrator about the policeman at the police barracks?
4. Why does Divney suggest they murder Mathers?
5. What is de Selby's opinion on houses?
6. How does the narrator describe the police barracks?
7. Why does the narrator think it is not a good idea to say no to everything?
8. Where does Pluck find the bicycle and all its parts?
9. How does the narrator describe the spear MacCruiskeen shows him?
10. What does Mathers tell the narrator about his own wind color?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the construction of O'Brien's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in O'Brien's argument?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of O'Brien's previous books and contrast it with the Third Policeman in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
What are the main turning points of the book? How does O'Brien develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)