|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator eventually arrive back to?
(a) The beginning of the story.
(b) His house,
(c) The local church.
(d) His childhood.
2. How have the wooden-legged men disguised themselves?
(a) By using wheelchairs.
(b) By wearing gas masks.
(c) By wearing medical uniform.
(d) By binding themselves in pairs.
3. What was the last thing the authorities hanged?
(a) A dog.
(b) A car.
(c) A telephone.
(d) A bicycle.
4. Which of de Selby's books does the narrator talk about in this chapter?
(b) TV Watching.
(c) Gift of Time.
5. What does Pluck show the narrator?
(a) His sore feet.
(b) Pictures of his children.
(c) A map of the area.
(d) His flat bicycle tire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the next person to come into the police barracks?
2. Where does Pluck find a note from Fox?
3. Why does MacCruiskeen run light through his mangle?
4. What does the narrator work up the courage to ask about?
5. What does the narrator do when Divney says he killed him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the novel.
2. Why does Pluck think all modes of transport are dangerous?
3. What does de Selby believe about the shape of the world?
4. How does the Codex relate to the situation the narrator finds himself in?
5. Why is de Selby's Codex impossible to decipher?
6. What does the narrator see when he arrives back at his house?
7. How does the narrator get a reprieve?
8. What does de Selby say about heaven?
9. Why does the narrator think the police cannot hang him?
10. Why does the narrator fall in love with the bicycle in this chapter?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)