|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator ride to at the beginning of the chapter?
(a) His house.
(b) The police barracks.
(d) Dilaney's house.
2. What else other than water did de Selby's experiments require?
(a) Screaming girls.
(b) Loud hammering.
(c) Screaming babies.
(d) Lots of shouting.
3. What does the narrator throw through the lighted window?
(a) A brick.
(b) A bicycle.
(c) A stone.
(d) A mug.
4. What does MacCruiskeen think he can control if he can understand the screams?
(a) De Selby.
5. What has MacCruiskeen left at the police barracks?
(a) A gun.
(c) His spear.
(d) His bicycle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does MacCruiskeen lose when Gilhaney sends him flying?
2. What happens to the narrator when his soul leaves him?
3. What was the last thing the authorities hanged?
4. Why is Pluck reluctant to put the narrator in a cell?
5. What does Pluck say happened to the man who went up in a balloon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Codex relate to the situation the narrator finds himself in?
2. How does the narrator get a reprieve?
3. How have the one legged men disguised themselves?
4. Describe the story Pluck tells about the man who went up in a balloon?
5. Summarize the novel.
6. Why does the narrator fall in love with the bicycle in this chapter?
7. Why is de Selby's Codex impossible to decipher?
8. Why do the policeman consent to show the narrator what their figures mean?
9. Why does the narrator think the police cannot hang him?
10. How does Divney react to seeing the narrator?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)