|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what plan is Mitch a threat?
2. Who convinces Mitch to join the CIA?
3. Who does Mitch think tried to kill him?
4. Who answers when Mitch phones his friend?
5. Who offers no sympathy for the death about which this person is questioned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mitch do at the airport in Germany?
2. Describe the conversation between President Hayes and Ambassador Koch.
3. What does Clark do to cause dissension between the Democrats?
4. Why is Mitch sent to Germany to assassinate Count Heinrich Hagenmiller V?
5. Who calls the police, why, and how do the police react?
6. Describe Mitch's phone conversation with Irene Kennedy.
7. In Chapter 16, what does Cameron tell Clark, and how does Clark react?
8. Who does Clark meet at the Congressional Country Club, and why?
9. Who does Mitch think tried to kill him, and what does he do the next morning?
10. How does Mitch's career in the CIA begin, and what is his current status?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the third person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would the novel be different if another point of view were used?
Essay Topic 2
Which characters are present in the novel as the protagonist and the antagonist? Why are these characters labeled in this way?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of politics in this novel? What events are driven by politics and the struggle for power? How are characters viewed based on their political influence?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)