|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Around 500,000 years ago, H. erectus appears to have given rise to who?
(a) The first modern H. habilis.
(b) The first modern H. sapiens.
(c) The first modern H. ergaster.
(d) The first modern H. georgicus.
2. When was agriculture first being practiced?
(a) 1,000,000 years ago.
(b) 100,000 years ago.
(c) 1,000 years ago.
(d) 10,000 years ago.
3. What is the purpose of the bowers?
(a) To show off for other males.
(b) To raise their young.
(c) To attract females for mating.
(d) To protect them from the elements.
4. When do chimps, humans, and gorillas break off from the remaining higher primates?
(a) C. 10 millions of years ago.
(b) C. 20 millions of years ago.
(c) C. 15 millions of years ago.
(d) C. 5 millions of years ago.
5. Can natural selection explain these traits?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Neanderthals apparently master?
2. What does the author propose regarding race?
3. What happens to all animals?
4. What example does Darwin give to support his theory?
5. How does the author believe that humans and chimps should properly be considered to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author think about humans and chimps and how they should be properly considered, regarding species and genus?
2. Describe both Neanderthals.
3. What is evident about the human race?
4. What is known about animal vocalizations?
5. What is the author's conclusion about art?
6. What does Charles Darwin realize about some traits possessed by many organisms?
7. What is the conventional wisdom regarding pre-agricultural hunter-gatherer societies? Is this correct?
8. What other creatures also practice agriculture, besides humans?
9. When do various primates break off from the remaining higher primates?
10. How does the author conclude this chapter?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)