|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Levi and the others go after the rally?
2. What is Boaz's response when Levi admonishes him?
3. Of whom do several of the customers at the restaurant remind Levi?
4. Who does Levi meet up with when he gets to his destination?
5. Where does Levi take his skateboard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack decide to do and why is that a major decision?
2. Why have Zim and Pearl shown up at the motel room in Philadelphia?
3. What happens when Levi is out jogging and finds his mother?
4. What does Levi do after they check in to a motel?
5. What do the three friends learn when they pull into a Motel 9 in Ridgewood?
6. Why does Levi sneak a call to Pearl and what does he learn?
7. Why does Levi shave his head?
8. How is Levi surprised when they arrive at Celine's aunt's house in Edgewood?
9. Where is Boaz headed first?
10. What does Levi do in Boaz's room and what action does he decide to take?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Things a Brother Knows belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Things a Brother Knows is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes The Things a Brother Knows interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Levi. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Boaz. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Amanda. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)