|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the three friends find when they arrive at Boaz's motel the next morning?
2. What does Levi find in Boaz's closet?
3. What does Boaz read up on stage?
4. What is Boaz's response when Levi admonishes him?
5. When does Levi stop in his first attempt at encountering Boaz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Levi follows Boaz after Boaz leaves the restaurant?
2. Who do Pearl and Levi go to see in Poughkeepsie and how does Levi know they are at the right place?
3. Why does Levi shave his head?
4. What does Levi calculate and decide to do?
5. What enrages Levi so much that he goes up and pounds on Boaz's bedroom door and what happens?
6. How is Levi surprised when they arrive at Celine's aunt's house in Edgewood?
7. How does Boaz act towards Levi at dinner after Levi confronts Boaz and what happens the next morning?
8. How does Loren respond to Levi saying he just wants Boaz to come home?
9. What does Jack decide to do and why is that a major decision?
10. What does Boaz say about why he walks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Things a Brother Knows? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Things a Brother Knows including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Things a Brother Knows and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Things a Brother Knows. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Reinhardt chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Reinhardt chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Reinhardt's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc.) and how they add or detract from the story. Does Reinhardt use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, or theme).
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Things a Brother Knows is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)