|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Celine tell Levi she thought he was going to do the night before?
2. What does the man say that upsets Levi?
3. Who is Loren?
4. What does Levi see that surprises him when he comes out of a convenience store?
5. Why does the man say in reply to Levi saying he wants Boaz to come home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Celine and Levi discuss about their brothers?
2. Why does Levi shave his head?
3. What does Boaz say about why he walks?
4. What does Celine say to Levi about her brother?
5. How does Loren respond to Levi saying he just wants Boaz to come home?
6. What happens when Levi follows Boaz after Boaz leaves the restaurant?
7. What happens when Levi is out jogging and finds his mother?
8. How is Levi surprised when they arrive at Celine's aunt's house in Edgewood?
9. What do Levi and Boaz find at their stop in Riverside, New Jersey?
10. What happens when a Toyota truck goes speeding by Boaz and Levi as they are walking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Things a Brother Knows? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Things a Brother Knows including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Things a Brother Knows and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Things a Brother Knows and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Things a Brother Knows is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach or stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)