|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amanda think Boaz's trip will do for Boaz?
2. Why is Amanda upset at Levi regarding the reason she goes in to see the principal?
3. What do Levi and Zim have in common?
4. What time does Boaz head back up to this room?
5. What does Mr. Hopper say to Levi about Boaz?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pearl try to comfort Levi concerning Boaz?
2. How is Levi conflicted about Boaz and who has he told?
3. Who do Pearl and Levi see at the movie and what happens after the show?
4. What does Zim say to Levi's statement about Boaz and how does Levi respond?
5. What does Levi observe when he goes into Boaz's room to help Boaz with his broken computer?
6. What does Levi say about Boaz as a brother?
7. What sort of noises does Levi hear coming from Boaz's room?
8. What does Levi say Boaz does on the computer?
9. How does Boaz's choice after high school impact the family?
10. Why does Levi feel like a sneak and thief?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Things a Brother Knows and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Things a Brother Knows is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach or stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Things a Brother Knows belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes The Things a Brother Knows interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Levi. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Boaz. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Amanda. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)