|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of student was Boaz in high school?
2. When does Amanda begin attending synagogue on a regular basis?
3. Why does Zim want to see Boaz?
4. What does Boaz talk about concerning Zim and Pearl?
5. What does Mr. Hopper say to Levi about Boaz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Levi doing when Boaz comes home and how does the family greet him?
2. Who is Zim and what does he have in common with Levi?
3. Why does Levi feel like a sneak and thief?
4. Who do Pearl and Levi see at the movie and what happens after the show?
5. What happens when Amanda spots the sign honoring Boaz?
6. What does Zim say in response to Levi's talking about Boaz and what is Levi's response?
7. How long does Boaz stay in his room and what does Levi say to Zim's desire to see Boaz?
8. What does Boaz say he is going to do that Abba and Dov think is good, and why does Levi think Boaz is lying?
9. Who is Christine and what does Levi think when he sees her?
10. What is Levi hoping for concerning the sign in front of his school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Things a Brother Knows belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Levi senses that his parents are too close to the situation and too emotional to help Boaz. He has growing concerns about Boaz. He thinks he is planning something and, given his psychological state, Levi fears that it could be disastrous. He knows that it's very unhealthy for Boaz to be isolating himself. His parents and grandparents are in denial. Even though Levi has some feelings of envy and bitterness about his brother who has always gotten more attention than he has, at least in his mind, Levi is showing how much he cares for his brother.
1. Do you think Levi's parents' emotions could be affecting their judgment? How could that happen? Use examples from The Things a Brother Knows and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss the problems that could occur from Boaz isolating himself. Use examples from The Things a Brother Knows and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Levi might envy his brother? Use examples from The Things a Brother Knows and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Things a Brother Knows. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Things a Brother Knows. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme family in The Things a Brother Knows. Consider family as not only those related by blood but also those related by friendship bonds.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)