|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which holiday does Veblen cite as an example of holidays being vicarious leisure?
2. According to Veblen, what are sports based on?
3. According to Veblen, there is a natural selection among what?
4. How does a belief in luck have an effect on efficiency?
5. Which class does Veblen say exhibits peaceful traits?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the workman manifest his animistic view about luck?
2. Where does Veblen believe the desire to gamble originates?
3. How are organizations organized around devout observances?
4. How does Veblen describe the situation of modern women, the women of his time?
5. How does Veblen describe devout observances?
6. How are industries ranked?
7. How do institutions change?
8. How is education similar to the observance of devotional functions and magic?
9. How do men and women of the industrial classes feel and react to pecuniary pressures?
10. How does education form the leisure class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How useful is the term "the leisure class"? Does it describe everyone with any disposable income? Is it really a synonym for the upper class? Is it a synonym for the middle class?
Essay Topic 2
Why does society need to have its industrial efficiency reduced through devout observances and the belief in unseen hands? What would happen if society accelerated toward efficiency? What does reducing efficiency allow for a leisure class? What does it offer for the other classes?
Essay Topic 3
How are women of the leisure class different from men? How are their roles and responsibilities different? How are they the same? Do women express traits of other classes besides the leisure class? If so, what are those traits.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)