|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two classes does Veblen distinguish between?
2. What does Veblen consider education to be?
3. How does Veblen say contestants in sporting events demonstrate their belief in luck?
4. What does Veblen call learning?
5. What promotes the predatory aptitudes and predatory animus?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are leisure-class women like members of the clergy?
2. How do institutions change?
3. How do the leisure classes change over time?
4. What traits in men are required for the success of a community, in Veblen's description?
5. What are the ethnic types Veblen defines, and how does he describe them?
6. How does one move from the industrial class to the leisure class?
7. What temperament does Veblen say characterizes the leisure class, and how does the leisure class change?
8. How does Veblen describe the difference between esoteric and exoteric knowledge?
9. Where does Veblen believe the desire to gamble originates?
10. How does Veblen describe the situation of modern women, the women of his time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which is mor important to the leisure class, conformity or individuality? Is the leisure class selfish or clannish? Or is selfishness a form of class cohesion?
Essay Topic 2
What would a society without conspicuous consumption be like? Is Veblen satirizing leisure class culture? By exposing the excessive consumption, is he urging us to live a somehow more genuine or less luxurious lifestyle?
Essay Topic 3
Veblen describes the leisure class as a development from earlier culture. Is it a form of progress or a form of evolution? How much is Veblen's concept of the leisure class influenced by Darwinian thinking?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)