|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Veblen say the laboring classes in an agricultural society see work?
2. Spending money on ornate buildings is an example of what?
3. What does Veblen say an ownership society motivates people to do?
4. What do silver spoons have that machine-made spoons do not?
5. How have the upper classes distinguished themselves from the other classes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do most people spend in excess of what is required for their physical comfort?
2. How has the leisure class evolved from the times of hunting cultures?
3. How does the standard of wealth change over time?
4. Where does the institution of a leisure class appear in the development of culture?
5. What do expensive clothes say about a person?
6. How does the individual consumer think of his conspicuous waste?
7. What are the two conditions necessary for the development of the leisure class?
8. How are the different social classes distinguished?
9. How does the leisure class view work?
10. How are lawns and public grounds evidence of pecuniary beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At what rank does the leisure class end in industrial culture? Is it just the upper classes, or are all people leisure class if they are anywhere above subsistence?
Essay Topic 2
How do Veblen's definitions hold up in contemporary society? Are his definitions of the classes accurate? Are his definitions of the behaviors accurate? Have the times changed since he wrote "The Theory of the Leisure Class"? How have they changed? How have they remained the same?
Essay Topic 3
Who believes in the unseen hand, and how do people who believe in the unseen hand differ from those who do not?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)