|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Veblen say is the motive for ownership?
2. How does Veblen say wealth is obtained?
3. What does Veblen say happens to those who can afford not to work?
4. What makes dress a good indicator of conspicuous waste?
5. What distinction does Veblen say separates men and women?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are habits formed?
2. What is the purpose of leisure?
3. How has the leisure class evolved from the times of hunting cultures?
4. How does Veblen describe the differences between the sexes and the effect of those differences on economic life of a society?
5. How does Veblen define leisure?
6. How does wealth stratify society?
7. How does style ensure conspicuous waste?
8. How does the standard of wealth change over time?
9. Where does the institution of a leisure class appear in the development of culture?
10. How does the labor class view its work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Can leisure be said to be a form of labor itself? Is the leisure class obligated to perform its conspicuous leisure and conspicuous consumption? Is it work? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
How are women of the leisure class different from men? How are their roles and responsibilities different? How are they the same? Do women express traits of other classes besides the leisure class? If so, what are those traits.
Essay Topic 3
Is the belief in luck the same thing as religion in Veblen's view? Compare and contrast the two belief systems. Do they both have the same effect on society?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)