|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which temperament does Veblen say that gambling originates?
(a) The predatory sentiment.
(b) The agricultural sentiment.
(c) The barbarian sentiment.
(d) The leisure sentiment.
2. Which holiday does Veblen cite as an example of holidays being vicarious leisure?
(b) Labor Day.
3. What promotes the predatory aptitudes and predatory animus?
(a) Industrial labor.
(c) Pecuniary employments.
4. What effect does Veblen say gambling has on industrial efficiency?
(a) Its effect is unpredictable.
(b) It is a hindrance.
(c) It increases industrial efficiency.
(d) It motivates people by increasing debt.
5. What does Veblen say God represents in the anthropomorphic creed?
(a) The habit of dominance.
(b) THe spirit of cooperation.
(c) The meekness of men.
(d) The heart of compassion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what heading does Veblen put sports and fighting and other manifestations of the predatory temperament?
2. What does Veblen say happens to the anthropomorphic cult as time goes by?
3. Which organization does Veblen cite as an example of an organization whose existence is related to devout observance?
4. What changes as a result of a change in institutions?
5. What happens as the lower classes are educated and depend on the leisure class?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do sports demonstrate belief in luck, or semireligious sentiment?
2. How do institutions change?
3. How does education form the leisure class?
4. How do lower-class delinquents manifest the fighting spirit?
5. How are leisure-class women like members of the clergy?
6. How does the study of the classics and classical languages change over time?
7. How does Veblen's book reveal Darwin's influence?
8. How does one move from the industrial class to the leisure class?
9. How do men change over time according to Veblen?
10. How is education similar to the observance of devotional functions and magic?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)