|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the state of the leisure class in hunting cultures?
(a) It was highly developed, and hunters exploit the women for their labor.
(b) It existed only for the priests.
(c) It was developing but still competing with the communal lifestyle.
(d) It did not exist.
2. Where did the earliest form of ownership take place?
(a) In early industrial stages of culture.
(b) In high industrial stages of culture.
(c) In lower barbarian stages of culture.
(d) In higher barbarian stages of culture.
3. What is reserved for the leisure class?
(b) Luxuries like jewelry.
(c) Owning property.
(d) Possession of slaves.
4. What standard does Veblen say guides people's behavior?
(a) The standard of the people surrounding them.
(b) The standard of the class they were born into.
(c) The standard of the class just beyond their reach.
(d) The standard of the highest ranking relative in their ancestry.
5. Where does Veblen say scholars fit in the social spectrum?
(a) They are looked down upon for their lower earnings.
(b) They are valued for their high level of expenditures on conspicuous items.
(c) They are looked up to for their vicarious consumption of cultural production.
(d) They are looked up to for their production of cultural materials.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do people spend more than they need for physical comfort?
2. What are signs of vicarious consumption?
3. What does Veblen say makes wealth desirable?
4. Who engages in vicarious consumption?
5. What distinguishes devout structures from other buildings?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did primitive societies divide the labor?
2. How are habits formed?
3. What status is attributed to scholars?
4. What was the earliest form of ownership?
5. How does the leisure class view work?
6. Where does the institution of a leisure class appear in the development of culture?
7. How does the labor class view its work?
8. How does the individual consumer think of his conspicuous waste?
9. How are churches and ornate buildings related to conspicuous waste?
10. How does wealth stratify society?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)