Short Answer Key
Chapter 1 Introduction
1. What stage of culture contained the institution of the leisure class?
High stages of barbarian culture.
2. Which cultures exhibited the leisure class?
3. How have the upper classes distinguished themselves from the other classes?
They have worked only in positions that have prestige.
4. Which occupation would the leisure class have worked as?
5. What was the state of the leisure class in hunting cultures?
It did not exist.
6. What allowed a leisure class to emerge?
Differentiation and specialization of labor.
7. What classes does Veblen describe emerging as society developed?
Industrial and nonindustrial classes.
8. What does Veblen say about the upper classes in Iceland and Polynesia?
That they were barred from physical labor.
9. What employments did upper-class people in Iceland and Polynesia work in?
Government, military, and the ministry.
10. How does Veblen classify industrial labor...
This section contains 2,478 words|
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)