|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Higher Learning as an Expression of the Pecuniary Culture.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Veblen say wealth is obtained?
(a) Through exploitation.
(b) Through labor.
(c) Through conspicious consumption.
(d) Through hoarding.
2. What is affected by the institution of a social class?
(a) The means of production.
(b) The economic model for society.
(c) The character of the social structure.
(d) The character of individuals.
3. What, according to Veblen, has shaped women's experiences?
(b) Charitable organizations.
4. What stage of culture contained the institution of the leisure class?
(a) High stages of barbarian culture.
(b) Early stages of agricultural culture.
(c) Late stages of agricultural culture.
(d) Late stages of hunting culture.
5. To what agency does Veblen attribute industrial man's faith in luck?
(b) The spirit of the times.
(c) The unseen hand.
(d) Spirits of a place.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kinds of events does Veblen say were arranged by organizations during his time that were related to devout observance?
2. Who decides what level of consumption is honorable?
3. Who engages in vicarious consumption?
4. How does Veblen explain the change of fashion from year to year?
5. According to Veblen, what are sports based on?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)