|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Devout Observances.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Veblen explain the change of fashion from year to year?
(a) It is a form of cultural restlessness.
(b) It is a shallow form of bourgeois emulation of different aristocratic idols.
(c) It is a constantly renewed way to police who is current and who is classic.
(d) It is a form of conspicuous waste.
2. What does Veblen mean by the terms "social inertia" and "conservatism"?
(a) Man will always imagine that returning to the past is possible.
(b) Man will cling to his habits until he is forced to change.
(c) Institutions will always change faster than individuals.
(d) Man will forever idealize the past.
3. What do silver spoons have that machine-made spoons do not?
(b) Conspicuous waste.
(c) Aesthetic design.
4. How does Veblen define leisure?
(a) Using time in ways that produce entertainment.
(b) Using time in nonproductive ways.
(c) Anything done outside of work.
(d) Anything that doesn't produce anything.
5. How does Veblen define conspicuous consumption?
(a) Vulgar or unnecessary displays of wealth.
(b) A refined set of mannerisms displayed while consuming status symbols.
(c) An act of consumption that involves more than one person.
(d) The display of wealth in front of witnesses to wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that Veblen says survives as society changes?
2. What effect does Veblen say gambling has on industrial efficiency?
3. Who decides what level of consumption is honorable?
4. What distinguishes devout structures from other buildings?
5. What clothes should members of the leisure class wear?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)