|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Devout Observances.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which class does Veblen say exhibits peaceful traits?
(a) The leisure class.
(b) The industrial class.
(c) The middle class.
(d) The ownership class.
2. What force does Veblen say shapes the standard of living?
(a) Physical hunger.
(b) The industrial lifestyle.
(c) Human guilt.
(d) The predatory animus.
3. What does Veblen say emulation leads to?
(a) Conspicuous waste.
(b) Conspicuous consumption.
(c) Conspicuous produciton.
(d) Conspicuous servitude.
4. What happens when a community develops a standard of wealth?
(a) Anything below that level becomes objectionable.
(b) Society persecutes those below that level.
(c) Society bands together to care for those below that level.
(d) Anything beyond that level becomes meritorious.
5. According to Veblen, there is a natural selection among what?
(a) Forms of consumption.
(b) Forms of wastefulness.
(c) Ethnic types.
(d) Production techniques.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are signs of vicarious consumption?
2. What happens when men come into wealth through peaceful means?
3. Which employments were associated with a lower status?
4. What does Veblen say possessions indicate in an ownership society?
5. Selective adaptation governs what?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)