|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Modern Survivals of Prowess.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes dress a good indicator of conspicuous waste?
(a) Everyone knows how much clothing costs.
(b) Everyone has to wear it.
(c) It is always on display.
(d) It can be made in so many different ways.
2. What principle does Veblen say guides the consumer's habits?
(a) Vicarious consumption.
(b) Vicarious waste.
(c) Conspicuous waste.
(d) Conspicuous consumption.
3. How does Veblen say the upper classes in an agricultural society see work?
(a) They see it as dishonorable.
(b) They master it.
(c) They idealize it.
(d) They envy it.
4. What allowed a leisure class to emerge?
(a) Improvements in production efficiency.
(b) Exploitation of workers.
(c) Expansion of the military.
(d) Differentiation and specialization of labor.
5. What is reserved for the leisure class?
(a) Luxuries like jewelry.
(c) Owning property.
(d) Possession of slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Private ownership led to what cultural development?
2. How does Veblen describe the industrial classes' relationship with sports?
3. What does Veblen say is the most serious occupation of the leisure class?
4. How does Veblen say people can move from the industrial class to the leisure class?
5. Which occupation would the leisure class have worked as?
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)