|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Modern Survivals of Prowess.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Veblen, property became a prerequisite for what?
(d) Starting a family.
2. Why does Veblen say women wore corsets?
(a) Because discomfort was a luxury.
(b) Because making them slenderer made them seem more expensive.
(c) Because restricting their movements prevented them from work.
(d) Because restricting their movements made them less threatening.
3. What happens when a community develops a standard of wealth?
(a) Anything beyond that level becomes meritorious.
(b) Society bands together to care for those below that level.
(c) Anything below that level becomes objectionable.
(d) Society persecutes those below that level.
4. What force does Veblen say shapes the standard of living?
(a) Human guilt.
(b) Physical hunger.
(c) The predatory animus.
(d) The industrial lifestyle.
5. How must a man of leisure act?
(a) With no respect or regard for his inferiors.
(b) With deference toward his equals and superiors.
(c) With decorum appropriate to his station.
(d) WIth appreciation for the technical trades that allow him his leisure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Veblen say causes the emergence of crimes against property?
2. What does Veblen call the code of conduct for servants?
3. What gives an item its desirability to men of the leisure class?
4. What consumption articles does Veblen state that the consumer hangs on to the most?
5. What does Veblen say results from the possession and consumption of goods?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)