|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Modern Survivals of Prowess.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which occupation would the leisure class have worked as?
2. When does Veblen say that a leisure class emerged?
(a) During the transition from mercantilism to early industry.
(b) During the transition from agricultural barbarism to urban mercantilism.
(c) During the transition from primitive savagery to barbarism.
(d) During the transition from savage barbarism to agricultural barbarism.
3. What does Veblen mean by the terms "social inertia" and "conservatism"?
(a) Man will always imagine that returning to the past is possible.
(b) Institutions will always change faster than individuals.
(c) Man will cling to his habits until he is forced to change.
(d) Man will forever idealize the past.
4. What changes as a result of a change in institutions?
(a) The means of production.
(c) Economic models.
(d) Habits and thoughts.
5. How does Veblen say the upper classes in an agricultural society see work?
(a) They envy it.
(b) They see it as dishonorable.
(c) They master it.
(d) They idealize it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Veblen say makes wealth desirable?
2. What does Veblen say is the motive for ownership?
3. What is it that forces the resistant social classes to adapt to new conditions?
4. How does Veblen say people can move from the industrial class to the leisure class?
5. What does Veblen say about the upper classes in Iceland and Polynesia?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)