|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pecuniary Canons of Taste.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Veblen say the effects of an ownership society are on the behavior of its members?
(a) It makes people conservative.
(b) It makes people frugal.
(c) It makes people economically insecure.
(d) It makes people warlike.
2. What does Veblen say was the earliest form of ownership?
(a) Ownership of land.
(b) Ownership of hunting rights.
(c) Ownership of songs.
(d) Ownership of women.
3. What distinction does Veblen say emerged between types of labor in cultures that had a leisure class?
(a) Between workers, managers, and owners.
(b) Between agitators and protestors.
(c) Between worthy and unworthy labor.
(d) Between capitalists and communists.
4. What does Veblen say comprises people's standard of living?
(a) Their necessary consumption.
(b) Their debt.
(c) Their habitual expenditures.
(d) Their luxuries.
5. How does Veblen say the upper classes in an agricultural society see work?
(a) They master it.
(b) They envy it.
(c) They see it as dishonorable.
(d) They idealize it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives an item its desirability to men of the leisure class?
2. What does Veblen say happens to those who need to work but do not work?
3. Spending money on ornate buildings is an example of what?
4. What distinction begins to be drawn as the group around the patron grows?
5. What standard does Veblen say guides people's behavior?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)