|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pecuniary Canons of Taste.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the standard of wealth over time?
(a) It declines as efficiencies make wealth easier to obtain.
(b) It remains the same until technology increases efficiencies again.
(c) It keeps increasing as society becomes more efficient.
(d) It changes as trends change.
2. When did the leisure class become part of society?
(a) At the same time technology did.
(b) At the same time ownership did.
(c) At the same time slavery did.
(d) At the same time religion did.
3. What does Veblen say the effects of an ownership society are on the behavior of its members?
(a) It makes people conservative.
(b) It makes people frugal.
(c) It makes people economically insecure.
(d) It makes people warlike.
4. How do standards of consumption change?
(a) Very slowly over time.
(b) Slower in societies with more social mobility.
(c) Faster in societies with less social mobility.
(d) They change with every season.
5. What allowed a leisure class to emerge?
(a) Expansion of the military.
(b) Differentiation and specialization of labor.
(c) Exploitation of workers.
(d) Improvements in production efficiency.
Short Answer Questions
1. Private ownership led to what cultural development?
2. What does Veblen say motivates conspicuous waste?
3. How does Veblen say the upper classes in an agricultural society see work?
4. What does consumption yield to the individual?
5. Vicarious consumption reflects whose standing?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)