|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Pecuniary Standard of Living.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As leisure classes develop, whom do the marginal men of leisure in the lower ranks affiliate themselves with?
(a) The men of leisure in the higher ranks.
(b) The upper-class women.
(c) The workers.
(d) The slaves.
2. What does Veblen say a person's possessions determine in ownership societies?
3. What does Veblen say comprises people's standard of living?
(a) Their debt.
(b) Their luxuries.
(c) Their necessary consumption.
(d) Their habitual expenditures.
4. How does Veblen say the upper classes in an agricultural society see work?
(a) They idealize it.
(b) They master it.
(c) They envy it.
(d) They see it as dishonorable.
5. When does Veblen say that a leisure class emerged?
(a) During the transition from mercantilism to early industry.
(b) During the transition from agricultural barbarism to urban mercantilism.
(c) During the transition from primitive savagery to barbarism.
(d) During the transition from savage barbarism to agricultural barbarism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What employments did upper-class people in Iceland and Polynesia work in?
2. What does Veblen say emulation leads to?
3. How does Veblen define conspicuous consumption?
4. What aspect of culture was a condition for the development of a leisure class?
5. When did the leisure class become part of society?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)