|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Pecuniary Standard of Living.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Veblen say was lacking in primitive culture?
(a) A priest class.
(b) The need for drudgery.
(c) A governing class.
(d) Ownership of private property.
2. Which employments were associated with a lower status?
(a) Government tasks.
(b) Diplomatic tasks.
(d) Subsistence tasks.
3. According to Veblen, property became a prerequisite for what?
(b) Starting a family.
4. Which occupation would the leisure class have worked as?
5. What standard does Veblen say guides people's behavior?
(a) The standard of the highest ranking relative in their ancestry.
(b) The standard of the people surrounding them.
(c) The standard of the class they were born into.
(d) The standard of the class just beyond their reach.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do people spend more than they need for physical comfort?
2. What does Veblen say was the earliest form of ownership?
3. How does the upper class distinguish itself, according to Veblen?
4. What happens when men come into wealth through peaceful means?
5. What does Veblen say happens to cultures that develop knowledge and tools?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)