|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Conspicuous Consumption.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when men come into wealth through peaceful means?
(a) Property becomes an indicator of success.
(b) Property becomes the subject of competition and warfare.
(c) Property becomes an indicator of heritage.
(d) Property becomes the measure of spiritual values.
2. What employments did upper-class people in Iceland and Polynesia work in?
(a) Government, military, and the ministry.
(b) Arts, music, and entertainment.
(c) Investment banking and diplomacy.
(d) Management, service jobs, and newspapers.
3. What does Veblen say possessions indicate in an ownership society?
(a) The fame of the possessor.
(b) The virtue of the possessor.
(c) The nobility of the possessor.
(d) The power of the possessor.
4. What allowed a leisure class to emerge?
(a) Exploitation of workers.
(b) Improvements in production efficiency.
(c) Expansion of the military.
(d) Differentiation and specialization of labor.
5. What factors drove the emergence of the leisure class?
(a) Technological forces.
(b) Economic forces.
(c) Geographical forces.
(d) Military forces.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stage of culture contained the institution of the leisure class?
2. What does Veblen say makes wealth desirable?
3. When did the leisure class become part of society?
4. What did men use to display their exploits during the earliest forms of ownership?
5. What is reserved for the leisure class?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)