|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Conspicuous Consumption.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Private ownership led to what cultural development?
(b) Competition for goods.
(d) Jealousy and murders.
2. How does the upper class distinguish itself, according to Veblen?
(a) By profiting from labor.
(b) By performing labor efficiently.
(c) By avoiding labor.
(d) By selling the proceeds of its labor.
3. How must a man of leisure act?
(a) With deference toward his equals and superiors.
(b) WIth appreciation for the technical trades that allow him his leisure.
(c) With no respect or regard for his inferiors.
(d) With decorum appropriate to his station.
4. What does Veblen say happens to those who need to work but do not work?
(a) They are taken care by the stronger workers.
(b) They take care of the children and elders.
(c) They are exiled.
(d) They become beggars.
5. What factors drove the emergence of the leisure class?
(a) Economic forces.
(b) Geographical forces.
(c) Military forces.
(d) Technological forces.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Veblen say a person's possessions determine in ownership societies?
2. What does Veblen say happens to those who can afford not to work?
3. Vicarious leisure results in what?
4. What incentive does Veblen say results from the desire to own property?
5. What distinction does Veblen say separates men and women?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)