|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Conspicuous Consumption.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which employments were associated with a lower status?
(a) Government tasks.
(c) Subsistence tasks.
(d) Diplomatic tasks.
2. What factors drove the emergence of the leisure class?
(a) Military forces.
(b) Technological forces.
(c) Geographical forces.
(d) Economic forces.
3. What does Veblen call the code of conduct for servants?
(a) Conspicuous subservience.
(b) Service with a smile.
(c) Mechanical efficiency.
(d) Conspicuous discomfort.
4. What does Veblen say makes wealth desirable?
(a) It provides happiness.
(b) It resolves disputes.
(c) It gives renown.
(d) It is honorable.
5. What does consumption yield to the individual?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Veblen, property became a prerequisite for what?
2. Which aspect of culture was a condition for the development of a leisure class?
3. How does Veblen say the laboring classes in an agricultural society see work?
4. How have the upper classes distinguished themselves from the other classes?
5. What does Veblen say possessions indicate in an ownership society?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)