|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pecuniary Emulation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which employments were associated with a lower status?
(a) Government tasks.
(b) Subsistence tasks.
(d) Diplomatic tasks.
2. What incentive does Veblen say results from the desire to own property?
(a) The incentive to marry.
(b) The incentive to fight over property.
(c) The incentive to have children.
(d) The incentive to work.
3. How does Veblen say members of a society are ranked and judged?
(a) In terms of their morals.
(b) In terms of their power.
(c) In terms of their wealth.
(d) In terms of their noble lineage.
4. According to Veblen, property became a prerequisite for what?
(d) Starting a family.
5. What did men use to display their exploits during the earliest forms of ownership?
(b) Enemy women.
(d) War booty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What allowed a leisure class to emerge?
2. What does Veblen say was lacking in primitive culture?
3. What distinction does Veblen say emerged between types of labor in cultures that had a leisure class?
4. What does Veblen say possessions indicate in an ownership society?
5. When did the leisure class become part of society?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)