|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pecuniary Emulation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What employments did upper-class people in Iceland and Polynesia work in?
(a) Government, military, and the ministry.
(b) Management, service jobs, and newspapers.
(c) Arts, music, and entertainment.
(d) Investment banking and diplomacy.
2. What distinction does Veblen say emerged between types of labor in cultures that had a leisure class?
(a) Between agitators and protestors.
(b) Between workers, managers, and owners.
(c) Between worthy and unworthy labor.
(d) Between capitalists and communists.
3. What does Veblen say a person's possessions determine in ownership societies?
4. What allowed a leisure class to emerge?
(a) Exploitation of workers.
(b) Differentiation and specialization of labor.
(c) Expansion of the military.
(d) Improvements in production efficiency.
5. What happens when men come into wealth through peaceful means?
(a) Property becomes the subject of competition and warfare.
(b) Property becomes an indicator of heritage.
(c) Property becomes the measure of spiritual values.
(d) Property becomes an indicator of success.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Veblen say was the earliest form of ownership?
2. When did the leisure class become part of society?
3. Which occupation would the leisure class have worked as?
4. What stage of culture contained the institution of the leisure class?
5. What distinction does Veblen say separates men and women?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)