|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pecuniary Emulation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Veblen say was the earliest form of ownership?
(a) Ownership of land.
(b) Ownership of women.
(c) Ownership of hunting rights.
(d) Ownership of songs.
2. What employments did upper-class people in Iceland and Polynesia work in?
(a) Government, military, and the ministry.
(b) Investment banking and diplomacy.
(c) Management, service jobs, and newspapers.
(d) Arts, music, and entertainment.
3. Which aspect of culture was a condition for the development of a leisure class?
(a) An ethic of sharing.
(b) Representative government.
(c) A predatory nature in the community.
(d) Competition for resources.
4. What does Veblen say possessions indicate in an ownership society?
(a) The power of the possessor.
(b) The virtue of the possessor.
(c) The fame of the possessor.
(d) The nobility of the possessor.
5. Private ownership led to what cultural development?
(b) Competition for goods.
(d) Jealousy and murders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What factors drove the emergence of the leisure class?
2. Which employments were associated with a lower status?
3. What distinction does Veblen say emerged between types of labor in cultures that had a leisure class?
4. When did the leisure class become part of society?
5. What was the state of the leisure class in hunting cultures?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)