|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pecuniary Emulation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which cultures exhibited the leisure class?
(a) Primitive Indonesia.
(b) Feudal Europe.
(c) Postindustrial America.
(d) Migratory American Indians.
2. Which aspect of culture was a condition for the development of a leisure class?
(a) Competition for resources.
(b) Representative government.
(c) An ethic of sharing.
(d) A predatory nature in the community.
3. When does Veblen say that a leisure class emerged?
(a) During the transition from savage barbarism to agricultural barbarism.
(b) During the transition from agricultural barbarism to urban mercantilism.
(c) During the transition from primitive savagery to barbarism.
(d) During the transition from mercantilism to early industry.
4. Where did the earliest form of ownership take place?
(a) In higher barbarian stages of culture.
(b) In high industrial stages of culture.
(c) In early industrial stages of culture.
(d) In lower barbarian stages of culture.
5. What was the state of the leisure class in hunting cultures?
(a) It did not exist.
(b) It was developing but still competing with the communal lifestyle.
(c) It was highly developed, and hunters exploit the women for their labor.
(d) It existed only for the priests.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Veblen classify industrial labor in industrial societies?
2. When did the leisure class become part of society?
3. What distinction does Veblen say emerged between types of labor in cultures that had a leisure class?
4. What happens when a community develops a standard of wealth?
5. What does Veblen say was lacking in primitive culture?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)