|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Devout Observances.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the predatory variant come from?
(a) Evolution from the peaceable culture.
(b) Inversion of the antepredatory culture.
(c) Evolution from the antepredatory culture.
(d) Adaptation from the predatory culture.
2. What does Veblen say motivates conspicuous waste?
(a) The desire to give to the poor indirectly.
(b) The desire to conform to established usage.
(c) The desire to demonstrate wealth.
(d) The desire to consume excessively.
3. Which cultures exhibited the leisure class?
(a) Feudal Europe.
(b) Postindustrial America.
(c) Primitive Indonesia.
(d) Migratory American Indians.
4. What stage of culture contained the institution of the leisure class?
(a) Early stages of agricultural culture.
(b) Late stages of agricultural culture.
(c) High stages of barbarian culture.
(d) Late stages of hunting culture.
5. Which employments were associated with a lower status?
(a) Government tasks.
(b) Subsistence tasks.
(d) Diplomatic tasks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What consumption articles does Veblen state that the consumer hangs on to the most?
2. What happens when a community develops a standard of wealth?
3. Under what heading does Veblen put sports and fighting and other manifestations of the predatory temperament?
4. How does Veblen say contestants in sporting events demonstrate their belief in luck?
5. To whom does the requirement of excessive clothing apply most?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)