|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Conspicuous Consumption.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What distinction does Veblen say emerged between types of labor in cultures that had a leisure class?
(a) Between agitators and protestors.
(b) Between workers, managers, and owners.
(c) Between capitalists and communists.
(d) Between worthy and unworthy labor.
2. Who engages in vicarious consumption?
(a) Men of leisure.
3. When does Veblen say that a leisure class emerged?
(a) During the transition from agricultural barbarism to urban mercantilism.
(b) During the transition from mercantilism to early industry.
(c) During the transition from savage barbarism to agricultural barbarism.
(d) During the transition from primitive savagery to barbarism.
4. Where is conspicuous consumption most prevalent?
(a) In urban areas.
(b) In Paris.
(c) In rural areas.
(d) In court.
5. Where did the earliest form of ownership take place?
(a) In high industrial stages of culture.
(b) In higher barbarian stages of culture.
(c) In lower barbarian stages of culture.
(d) In early industrial stages of culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are signs of vicarious consumption?
2. What employments did upper-class people in Iceland and Polynesia work in?
3. Which cultures exhibited the leisure class?
4. Which occupation would the leisure class have worked as?
5. How have the upper classes distinguished themselves from the other classes?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)