|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Belief in Luck.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the belief in luck accompany?
(a) Belief in immortality.
(b) Development of status.
(c) Loss of faith in religion.
(d) Resistance to industrialism.
2. What factor besides luck affects gambling on sports, according to Veblen?
(a) The omens that surround the game, such as the weather.
(b) The prestige of the contestants.
(c) Pride in the strength of the winners.
(d) The ability to turn loss into a gambling victory.
3. What are signs of vicarious consumption?
(a) Costume and dress of servants.
(b) Volunteering among the poor.
(c) Making loans to workers.
(d) Open air markets for servants.
4. In which temperament does Veblen say that gambling originates?
(a) The leisure sentiment.
(b) The barbarian sentiment.
(c) The agricultural sentiment.
(d) The predatory sentiment.
5. What clothes should members of the leisure class wear?
(a) Clothes that indicate that they do not work.
(b) Clothes that indicate that they are friendly with their tailors.
(c) Clothes that indicate that they inherited their money.
(d) Clothes that indicate that they work because the want to.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of man's character does gambling originate in, according to Veblen?
2. What does Veblen say a woman's dress indicates about her spouse?
3. What kind of value does Veblen say gambling has?
4. What does consumption yield to the individual?
5. What does Veblen say is evidence of people's concern with their appearances?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)