|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Belief in Luck.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes dress a good indicator of conspicuous waste?
(a) It is always on display.
(b) Everyone has to wear it.
(c) Everyone knows how much clothing costs.
(d) It can be made in so many different ways.
2. Why does Veblen say women wore corsets?
(a) Because restricting their movements prevented them from work.
(b) Because making them slenderer made them seem more expensive.
(c) Because discomfort was a luxury.
(d) Because restricting their movements made them less threatening.
3. To whom does the requirement of excessive clothing apply most?
4. What does Veblen say is the reason for gambling?
(a) Longing for riches.
(b) Distrust in the economic system.
(c) Failure to be convinced of the value of labor.
(d) A belief in luck.
5. What spiritual need does clothing serve for people?
(a) Veblen says that it helps them raise their eyes to the skies.
(b) Veblen says that it helps them conform to society.
(c) Veblen says that it reminds them of the discomforts Christ suffered.
(d) Veblen says that it comforts them as God comforts them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the belief in luck accompany?
2. What effect does Veblen say gambling has on industrial efficiency?
3. What clothes should members of the leisure class wear?
4. What do expensive handmade clothes have that cheap imitations do not?
5. Who performs the most vicarious consumption, according to Veblen?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)