|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Belief in Luck.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What factor besides luck affects gambling on sports, according to Veblen?
(a) Pride in the strength of the winners.
(b) The omens that surround the game, such as the weather.
(c) The ability to turn loss into a gambling victory.
(d) The prestige of the contestants.
2. In which temperament does Veblen say that gambling originates?
(a) The leisure sentiment.
(b) The barbarian sentiment.
(c) The predatory sentiment.
(d) The agricultural sentiment.
3. How does Veblen explain the change of fashion from year to year?
(a) It is a form of conspicuous waste.
(b) It is a constantly renewed way to police who is current and who is classic.
(c) It is a shallow form of bourgeois emulation of different aristocratic idols.
(d) It is a form of cultural restlessness.
4. What kind of leisure is created by inheritance?
(a) Obligatory leisure.
(c) Vicarious leisure.
(d) Marginal leisure.
5. What makes dress a good indicator of conspicuous waste?
(a) It can be made in so many different ways.
(b) It is always on display.
(c) Everyone has to wear it.
(d) Everyone knows how much clothing costs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Veblen say women wore corsets?
2. What do expensive handmade clothes have that cheap imitations do not?
3. How does a belief in luck have an effect on efficiency?
4. What does Veblen say causes an item of clothing to be seen as inferior?
5. Where does Veblen say gambling originated?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)