|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Belief in Luck.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What spiritual need does clothing serve for people?
(a) Veblen says that it comforts them as God comforts them.
(b) Veblen says that it reminds them of the discomforts Christ suffered.
(c) Veblen says that it helps them raise their eyes to the skies.
(d) Veblen says that it helps them conform to society.
2. Vicarious leisure results in what?
(a) Competition among servant classes.
(b) Greater employment.
(c) Competition among owners.
(d) Distinctions among servant classes.
3. Why does Veblen say women wore corsets?
(a) Because restricting their movements prevented them from work.
(b) Because making them slenderer made them seem more expensive.
(c) Because restricting their movements made them less threatening.
(d) Because discomfort was a luxury.
4. What does consumption yield to the individual?
5. What is reserved for the leisure class?
(a) Owning property.
(c) Luxuries like jewelry.
(d) Possession of slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes dress a good indicator of conspicuous waste?
2. What kind of value does Veblen say gambling has?
3. Where does Veblen say gambling originated?
4. In which temperament does Veblen say that gambling originates?
5. What do expensive handmade clothes have that cheap imitations do not?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)