|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Artaud claims in his Second Manifesto that the Theater of Cruelty will "stage events, not ____."
2. The first line of Artaud's Second Manifesto, states, "Admittedly or not, conscious or unconscious, _________, a transcendent experience of life, is what the public is fundamentally seeking through love, crime, drugs, war, or insurrection."
3. What does Artaud accuse the "current" theater of turning its public into?
4. In his Second Manifesto, Artaud writes that "the Theater of Cruelty will address itself only to _____ man.
5. Artaud claims that the public thinks first of all with its what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the importance and role of the actor in Artaud's Theater of Cruelty, as he describes in the First Manifesto.
2. In Artaud's "Letters on Language," he insists that the task of "mise en scène" must not be subordinated to spoken or written words as if this task was simply an accessory to theater. What does this mean?
3. How does Artaud describe what "cruelty" is not referring to in his letters?
4. What does Artaud describe "cruelty" in reference to in his letters?
5. What movie does Artaud use in comparison to his main subject in the first note of "Two Notes"? What does he write of American filmmakers?
6. Discuss and describe Artaud's depiction of lighting for the Theater of Cruelty in the First Manifesto.
7. In Artaud's first letter in "Letters on Cruelty," who is he writing to and what is his principle subject?
8. What does Artaud write of in his third letter of "Letters on Language," which follows the publication of his Manifesto?
9. What must the actor control in order to relate emotions he wants to convey?
10. Describe the events of the first two acts of "The Conquest of Mexico."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of spoken language in Oriental Theater and Occidental Theater. What are the differences? What did Artaud make of these?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of "archetypes." What is an archetype? How does Artaud envision their use in the theater?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the terms "art" and "aestheticism." What does Artaud write of the Western Theater's confusion of these terms?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)