|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his second note of "Two Notes," Artaud writes, "everything that is ______ is sacred and since his gestures are so beautiful that they take on a symbolic significance."
2. What is the name of the third act of Artaud's proposed production?
3. In his third letter from "Letters on Language," Artaud states that he never meant for cruelty to be used sporadically, but rather as the _____ of his theater."
4. In his first letter from "Letters on Cruelty," Artaud claims that "it is understood that life is always" what?
5. Artaud claims that the lighting equipment now in use would no longer be what for the Theater of Cruelty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Artaud's feelings about the cinema as he describes them in "The Theater of Cruelty."
2. What is Artaud's subject of his second note in "Two Notes"?
3. Describe how Artaud defines the images and movement of the "Theater of Cruelty" in his second manifesto.
4. Describe the events of the first two acts of "The Conquest of Mexico."
5. Describe the importance and role of the actor in Artaud's Theater of Cruelty, as he describes in the First Manifesto.
6. What does Artaud write in his "Letters on Language" regarding the psychology of characters?
7. Discuss the use of masks and accessories as described in the First Manifesto.
8. Discuss how Artaud's time and place impact his vision of the theater.
9. What does Artaud describe "cruelty" in reference to in his letters?
10. To whom is Artaud's third letter written in "Letters on Cruelty"? What is the author's tone in this letter? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the painting "The Daughters of Lot." What does Artaud intimate this painting means in terms of the theater?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the terms "art" and "aestheticism." What does Artaud write of the Western Theater's confusion of these terms?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the term "metaphysics." Define this term and relate how the author uses it regarding the theater.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)