|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author claims that actors in France no longer "know how to do anything but" what?
2. In his second letter of "Letters on Language," Artaud states that he finds the duality between author and _____ in the context of theater totally absurd, since there should be no difference between them."
3. Artaud claims that the public thinks first of all with its what?
4. What will be avoided in terms of costuming in the Theater of Cruelty?
5. "What voluntary breathing provokes is a spontaneous reappearance" of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Artaud's approach to the audience in the theater of cruelty?
2. What is Artaud's subject in his first note from "Two Notes"?
3. What movie does Artaud use in comparison to his main subject in the first note of "Two Notes"? What does he write of American filmmakers?
4. Who is Hieronymous Bosch and why does Artaud write about him in "The Theater of Cruelty"?
5. Discuss how Artaud's time and place impact his vision of the theater.
6. To whom is Artaud's third letter written in "Letters on Cruelty"? What is the author's tone in this letter? Why?
7. How does Artaud describe the correlation between actions and language in his "Letters on Language"?
8. Describe how Artaud defines the images and movement of the "Theater of Cruelty" in his second manifesto.
9. What physically must an actor learn to localize in his body?
10. Discuss and describe Artaud's depiction of lighting for the Theater of Cruelty in the First Manifesto.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Theater of Cruelty: First Manifesto," Artaud discusses the need for a "new language" for the theater as "a metaphysics of speech, gesture, and expression, in order to rescue it from its servitude to psychology and "human interest." What does he mean by this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the term "Mise en Scene." What does this term mean? How does Artaud describe it? Of what importance is it to The Theater of Cruelty?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the terms "art" and "aestheticism." What does Artaud write of the Western Theater's confusion of these terms?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)