|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Artaud compare actors of the "current" theater to in "The Theater and Cruelty"?
2. According to Artaud, "the Theater of Cruelty proposes to resort to a" what?
3. Artaud intends his theater to to seek in the what of tremendous masses?
4. In Artaud's Second Manifesto, he describes the spectacle itself as being formed along the lines of _________ which will be materialized in gestures and movement before decaying into sounds and words.
5. In "An Affective Athleticism," Artaud writes, "To make use of his emotions as a wrestler makes use of his muscles, he has to see the human being as a ______."
Short Essay Questions
1. What must the actor control in order to relate emotions he wants to convey?
2. Discuss the themes and content of the "Theater of Cruelty" based on the second manifesto. What is the spectacle like?
3. In Artaud's first letter in "Letters on Cruelty," who is he writing to and what is his principle subject?
4. How does Artaud describe the correlation between actions and language in his "Letters on Language"?
5. Describe how Artaud defines the images and movement of the "Theater of Cruelty" in his second manifesto.
6. What are the different types of breathing the author refers to?
7. How does Artaud describe what "cruelty" is not referring to in his letters?
8. What is Artaud's subject in his first note from "Two Notes"?
9. What are the differences the author notes between the athlete and the actor?
10. What is the author's criticism of the performance he writes of in the second of "Two Notes"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of "culture" in society and life according to Artaud. How does the theater relate to this culture?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Alchemical Theater," the author uses another metaphor. Describe this metaphor as it applies to the theater.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the key points Artaud makes in "No More Masterpieces." Who does he refer to as the authors of these works? Why does he believe they should be disregarded?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)