|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author says that the problem at the heart of Occidental theater is that western art and culture systematically confuse art with what?
2. What was the year of the plague of which Artaud tells in "Theater and the Plague"?
3. Artaud contends that the separation of life and theater, where the latter is but a mirror image of the former, is inherently what?
4. In Artaud's metaphor for the plague, where did the ship end up docking?
5. Theater must do what in order to reconstruct itself on a layer of its own virtual reality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "perversion" of the theater of the west, according to the author?
2. What does Artaud write about the message of the painting he describes in "Metaphysics and the Mise en Scene"?
3. What commonality does Artaud assert between Alchemy and the theater?
4. What is the meaning behind the title of "The Theater and Its Double"?
5. How does Artaud draw the comparison between the theater and a plague?
6. What are the author's feelings about psychology and the theater? What of poetry?
7. What reality should the theater reflect, according to the author in "The Alchemical Theater"?
8. How does the author describe the effects of a plague on civilization?
9. What replaces the playwright in the Balinese Theater? How is this figure described?
10. What is the principle limitation of the current theater, as described by the author in "Metaphysics and the Mise en Scene"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of spoken language in Oriental Theater and Occidental Theater. What are the differences? What did Artaud make of these?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the term "metaphysics." Define this term and relate how the author uses it regarding the theater.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the painting "The Daughters of Lot." What does Artaud intimate this painting means in terms of the theater?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)