|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the painter whom Artaud writes of in "Metaphysics and the Mise en Scene"?
2. What two organs are the most affected and atrophied by the plague?
3. In the Balinese theater, which figure becomes a "manager of magic" or master of "sacred ceremonies"?
4. Artaud compares totemism to what in the Preface?
5. What was the year of the plague of which Artaud tells in "Theater and the Plague"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What commonality does Artaud assert between Alchemy and the theater?
2. What does "gold" represent in Artaud's analogy of "The Alchemical Theater"?
3. What does Artaud write of change and civilization regarding the theater in "No More Masterpieces"?
4. In what reference does Artaud comment on Plato in "The Alchemical Theater"?
5. What does Artaud write about the message of the painting he describes in "Metaphysics and the Mise en Scene"?
6. In "Oriental and Occidental Theater," how does Artaud describe the downfall of the West?
7. What are the author's feelings about psychology and the theater? What of poetry?
8. What must occur for the theater to be restored, according to the author?
9. What is the "perversion" of the theater of the west, according to the author?
10. Who does Artaud hold responsible for much of the "masterpieces" he wants to demolish? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the elements of Artaud's theories and Theater of Cruelty as they appear in today's world. Where can we see examples of Artaud's ideas in employment today?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the techniques of the actor as Artaud describes them in "An Affective Athleticism." What are the principle areas an actor should focus on in approaching training and a role?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the key points Artaud makes in "No More Masterpieces." Who does he refer to as the authors of these works? Why does he believe they should be disregarded?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)