|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Artaud writes that Occidental theater is a theater of what?
2. Artaud says that the actors of the Balinese theater appear to be as animated what?
3. What word expressed by the translator is typically translated as "mind" because it has no English equivalent, combining as it does both mind and spirit?
4. This is a perversion of theater to represent psychological and social conflicts and daily life, simply because the object of theater is not psychological but rather plastic and essentially what?
5. Artaud says that the reason the public is not interested in "higher" art and in theater in particular, is because people do not react to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the sources of the essays in "The Balinese Theater"?
2. What reality should the theater reflect, according to the author in "The Alchemical Theater"?
3. How does the author describe the effects of a plague on civilization?
4. What does the author claim is the reasoning behind why the public is turning away from the "higher" arts in "No More Masterpieces"?
5. What does Artaud write about the message of the painting he describes in "Metaphysics and the Mise en Scene"?
6. What must occur for the theater to be restored, according to the author?
7. In "Oriental and Occidental Theater," how does Artaud describe the downfall of the West?
8. In what reference does Artaud comment on Plato in "The Alchemical Theater"?
9. What painting does Artaud describe in "Metaphysics and the Mise en Scene"?
10. What is the meaning behind the title of "The Theater and Its Double"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the "metteur en scene" in the Balinese Theater. How is this role different than in the West?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the term "Mise en Scene." What does this term mean? How does Artaud describe it? Of what importance is it to The Theater of Cruelty?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the terms "art" and "aestheticism." What does Artaud write of the Western Theater's confusion of these terms?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)