|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what town does Artaud tell the story of the plague being foreseen by the viceroy?
2. The author says that the problem at the heart of Occidental theater is that western art and culture systematically confuse art with what?
3. Where was the ship from that came to dock on the island of Artaud's metaphor?
4. Artaud says that the actors of the Balinese theater appear to be as animated what?
5. Why is the "Theater of Cruelty" considered cruel by Artaud?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meaning behind the title of "The Theater and Its Double"?
2. What commonality does Artaud assert between Alchemy and the theater?
3. How does Artaud describe the gestures of the Balinese Theater? How are they "understandable?"
4. How does Artaud draw the comparison between the theater and a plague?
5. What are the sources of the essays in "The Balinese Theater"?
6. What does Artaud say in reference to totems in his Preface?
7. What replaces the playwright in the Balinese Theater? How is this figure described?
8. What is the link between art and culture in the Occidental theater? How must this change, according to Artaud?
9. What reality should the theater reflect, according to the author in "The Alchemical Theater"?
10. How does the author describe the effects of a plague on civilization?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Artaud's description of the plague which St. Remys avoided in Artaud's first chapter. What does this story illuminate in terms of the world of art?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Alchemical Theater," the author uses another metaphor. Describe this metaphor as it applies to the theater.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the term "totemism." What does this word mean in the context of Artaud's vision of the theater?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)