|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through VI. No More Masterpieces.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Artaud say diminishes the value of the theater?
2. In "Oriental and Occidental Theater," Artaud writes, "It is not a matter of suppressing _____ in the theater but of changing its role, and especially of reducing its position."
3. This is a perversion of theater to represent psychological and social conflicts and daily life, simply because the object of theater is not psychological but rather plastic and essentially what?
4. Of the performers of the Balinese theater, Artaud writes, "They are like huge _____ full of lines and segments drawn to connect them with an unknown natural perspective of which they seem nothing more than a, kind of detached geometry."
5. In "The Alchemical Theater," Artaud writes, "All true alchemists know that the alchemical symbol is a _____ as the theater is a ______.
Short Answer Questions
1. Artaud suggests that in order to take language to a metaphysical level, it must be reduced to what?
2. Artaud writes that to "restore [theater] to its original direction, to reinstate it in its religious and metaphysical aspect, is to reconcile it with ______."
3. What word expressed by the translator is typically translated as "mind" because it has no English equivalent, combining as it does both mind and spirit?
4. What, along with theater scripted in words, must disappear because it loses its value as soon as it is repeated?
5. What two organs are the most affected and atrophied by the plague?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)