|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through V. Oriental and Occidental Theater.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Artaud writes, "it is the _______ that is the theater much more than the written and spoken play."
(c) Mise en scene.
2. Who had a prophetic dream about a plague destroying his city?
(c) Lord Bastillion.
3. In Artaud's metaphor for the plague, where did the ship end up docking?
4. Where does Artaud say "there is no art: things are made for use."
5. What does Artaud say serves as a copy, or double, of a life that does not exist?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Balinese theater, voice and speech are given an entirely new role, in part because the power of the director, or __________ of a play is absolute.
2. In the Preface, Artaud writes, "If confusion is the sign of the times, I see at the root of this confusion a rupture between things and ____".
3. Artaud believes that in its current, Occidental interpretation, theater is limited to mimicking what through scripted dialogues?
4. What two organs are the most affected and atrophied by the plague?
5. What word expressed by the translator is typically translated as "mind" because it has no English equivalent, combining as it does both mind and spirit?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)