|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through V. Oriental and Occidental Theater.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describing the Balinese theater, Artaud writes, "And there is in the truly terrifying look of their devil (probably Tibetan) a striking similarity to the look of a certain ______ in our own remembrance."
2. In "The Alchemical Theater," Artaud writes, "All true alchemists know that the alchemical symbol is a _____ as the theater is a ______.
3. Which filmmakers/performers does Artaud make reference to in "Metaphysics and Mise en Scene"?
(a) Abbott and Costello.
(b) Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin.
(c) Lucy and Desi.
(d) The Marx Brothers.
4. What does the term "Occidental" mean?
5. Artaud writes that "the symbols of alchemy provide the spiritual means of decanting and transfusing matter and must have evoked the passionate and decisive transfusion of matter by ____."
Short Answer Questions
1. Artaud compares totemism to what in the Preface?
2. In order to put theater back on its original path, it will be necessary to link it with everything that can exist as an ______ on a stage.
3. In what year was the original Le Theatre et son Double published?
4. Artaud remarks that the problem is that "all true feeling in _____ is untranslatable; translating it would be betraying and dissimulating it."
5. What "theater is based upon age-old traditions which have preserved intact the secrets of using gestures, intonations, and harmonies in relation to the senses"?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)