|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through V. Oriental and Occidental Theater.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The "gold" of the theater evokes in the spirit what, according to Artaud?
(a) True understanding.
(b) Absolute and abstract purity.
(d) Answers to man's questions.
2. In Balinese theater, voice and speech are given an entirely new role, in part because the power of the director, or __________ of a play is absolute.
(b) Raison d'etre.
(c) Mais de scene.
(d) Metteur en scène.
3. Of whom does Artaud say, "has nothing to do with the theater and must give way to specialists in its objective and animated sorcery"?
(a) The musician.
(b) The author.
(c) The actor.
(d) The director.
4. In the Balinese theater, Artaud writes "The drama does not develop as a conflict of feelings but as a conflict of" what?
(a) God-like entities.
(b) Spiritual states.
(c) Psychological responses.
(d) Gutteral reactions.
5. In what year was the original Le Theatre et son Double published?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the term "Occidental" mean?
2. Which form of the theater does Artaud admire in contrast to Occidental forms?
3. Artaud writes, "We are told that the Mysteries of ______ confined themselves to the mise en scene of a certain number of moral truths."
4. What does Artaud contend must be seen as as the burning projection of all the objective consequences of "a gesture, word, sound, music, and their combinations"?
5. Describing the Balinese theater, Artaud writes, "And there is in the truly terrifying look of their devil (probably Tibetan) a striking similarity to the look of a certain ______ in our own remembrance."
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)