|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through IV. On the Balinese Theater.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Artaud comments that anything obsessive may be considered what?
2. What animal does the author say has a mysterious affinity with the plague?
3. In the Balinese theater, which figure becomes a "manager of magic" or master of "sacred ceremonies"?
(a) The actor.
(b) The set designer.
(c) The director.
(d) The audience.
4. What does Artaud say serves as a copy, or double, of a life that does not exist?
5. Artaud writes, "it is the _______ that is the theater much more than the written and spoken play."
(b) Mise en scene.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Artaud say "there is no art: things are made for use."
2. In what town does Artaud tell the story of the plague being foreseen by the viceroy?
3. Who is the painter whom Artaud writes of in "Metaphysics and the Mise en Scene"?
4. Where is the painting Artaud speaks of in "Metaphysics and the Mise en Scene"?
5. What "theater is based upon age-old traditions which have preserved intact the secrets of using gestures, intonations, and harmonies in relation to the senses"?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)