|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through IV. On the Balinese Theater.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Artaud says that the actors of the Balinese theater appear to be as animated what?
2. Artaud writes in the Preface that "A civilized man judges and is judged according to his" what?
3. Of the Balinese theater, Artaud remarks that "setting aside the prodigious mathematics of this spectacle, what seems most surprising and astonishing to us is this aspect of matter as" what?
4. What does the author refer to having subjugated Plato?
(a) The Metamorphoses.
(b) The Odyssey.
(c) The Orphic Mysteries.
(d) The Dionysian stories.
5. What does the term "Occidental" mean?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mise en scene composed of?
2. Who had a prophetic dream about a plague destroying his city?
3. Where does Artaud say "there is no art: things are made for use."
4. Artaud believes that in its current, Occidental interpretation, theater is limited to mimicking what through scripted dialogues?
5. Of the performers of the Balinese theater, Artaud writes, "They are like huge _____ full of lines and segments drawn to connect them with an unknown natural perspective of which they seem nothing more than a, kind of detached geometry."
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)