|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is now suitable for Agnes's clothing, as she explains in Chapter 26?
2. What stupid thing does Daisy do in Chapter 9?
3. According to the narrator of the first chapter, what do eggs represent?
4. According to the narrator of the first chapter, what is being left at the base of her statue?
5. According to Aunt Lydia in Chapter 24, where was she sent after her first meeting with Commander Judd?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Baby Nicole and what does Daisy learn about her in Chapter 8?
2. What happens to Neil and Melanie? What does Daisy learn about herself in Chapter 23?
3. What is the Thank Tank? What happened there, as Aunt Lydia explains in Chapter 24?
4. What tattoo does Daisy get in Chapter 33?
5. Who is the source? How does the source communicate with Mayday, as explained in Chapter 32?
6. Why is Agnes deceptive in Chapter 37? What are the results of her deception?
7. What are some odd things Daisy notices about her parents, as explained in Chapter 9?
8. What are Daisy's options, as discussed in Chapter 32? Where can she go? Where can she not go?
9. Who are the Founding Aunts, and what are Lydia's first impressions of them in Chapter 29?
10. How does Agnes's clothing change once she is to become a Wife, as described in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mothers are very important in the novel. How has Gilead’s totalitarianism affected the nature of motherhood?
Essay Topic 2
How does the story of the Concubine Cut into Twelve Pieces reflect the characters of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Agnes experiences great change over the course of the novel. In what ways does she change and in what ways does she remain the same? By the novel’s end, is she better for these changes? What makes you say this? Explain your opinion using examples from the text.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)