|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Agnes go for help avoiding marriage in Chapter 37?
2. According to Daisy's mother in Chapter 9, what had been destroyed in a fire?
3. What is the name of the refugee organization Daisy goes to in Chapter 21?
4. What is the name of the store run by Daisy's parents, as explained in Chapter 7?
5. What is the name of the baby taken from Gilead, according to the narrator in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Daisy and what does the reader learn about her in Chapter 7?
2. Who is Ofkyle? What happens to her in Chapter 18?
3. Who is Agnes Jemima? What does her name mean?
4. What "experiment" does Aunt Lydia perform in Chapter 34? What are the results?
5. Why is Agnes deceptive in Chapter 37? What are the results of her deception?
6. What is the Thank Tank? What happened there, as Aunt Lydia explains in Chapter 24?
7. What happened the first time she was brought before Commander Judd, as Aunt Lydia explains in Chapter 24?
8. What happens to Neil and Melanie? What does Daisy learn about herself in Chapter 23?
9. What happens when Agnes meets Paula at the Schlfly Café in Chapter 40?
10. What are Daisy's options, as discussed in Chapter 32? Where can she go? Where can she not go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the author’s choice to tell this story by using alternating perspectives. How does viewing the action through the eyes of Aunt Lydia, Agnes, and Nicole affect the story? How would the book be different if the story was told through just one perspective?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of the Thirteenth Symposium to the novel as a whole. How does this final section to the novel influence the reader’s understanding of the protagonists and their actions?
Essay Topic 3
The power of secrets is a major theme in the novel. Choose three characters who keep a secret, and explain how keeping a secret affects him or her. What are the positive and negative effects of keeping a secret?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)