|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the lawsuit go forward?
2. For whom does Nate search after he leaves the hospital?
3. Why does Nate bribe Jevy to help him leave the hospital?
4. What does Nate think is the cause of his poor relationships with his family?
5. After a week of searching for Rachel, what does Nate realize?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nate notice about the Indian village and how does he respond to it?
2. What did Neva tell Nate about the last time she spoke with Rachel? What did Nate believe about Rachel and what did he find odd?
3. What did Nate want to do to get away following the Phelan heir depositions? Why does he want to do it? How well does he think it will work?
4. Why was Josh worried about the settlement of the will?
5. What was Nate doing at the cottage?
6. Why was Nate unable to speak with Rachel the day after he arrived in the village?
7. What did Nate feel like back in D.C. and what did he do about it?
8. Why did Josh meet with Judge Wycliff and what did he tell him? What was the Judge's response?
9. What happened when Nate was admitted to the hospital for the second time?
10. What happened right after Nate woke the day after the storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nate returned from South America with intentions to leave the world of law behind him and live simply. Hark Gettys, on the other hand, was doing just the opposite. He was behaving in unethical ways and trying to maximize his fees in any way possible.
1. Do you think all lawyers are like Hark? Why or why not?
2. Explain in detail why you might prefer Nate for a lawyer over Hark or the other way around.
3. To you think in the real world lawyers will actually help people lie to a court? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
American media is predictable in nature. The more sensational a story the more attention it attracts. Troy Phelan had few friends and no one really grieved over his death, yet it received a lot of publicity.
1. Do you think the media makes too much of celebrities? Why or why not?
2. Explain why you think Troy Phelan's money was what made him interesting, not him as a person.
3. Why do you think Troy had few friends? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The clause that exempted the heirs' new purchases from debt coverage was surely an evil scheme, since each of the heirs had made new and large purchases with the credit they expected to gain in inheritance.
1. Explain why the heirs were foolish for making expensive purchases before the will was read.
2. Do you think that it was wrong of Troy Phelan to make his will to include this clause? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is possible that Troy felt he was actually helping his children to grow onto better paths by not leaving them a lot of money? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and to support your answer.
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)