|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what is Rachel content?
2. Who promises the cooperation of Troy's latest mistress, Nicolette?
3. How did the men of the tribe act?
4. What does Rachel refuse to do?
5. Why is Nate sleeping a lot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Nate want to do to get away following the Phelan heir depositions? Why does he want to do it? How well does he think it will work?
2. What did Rachel tell Nate when she returned to the village?
3. Who did Nate think he saw when he was sick and what did he feel about it?
4. Why did Josh want to speak to Nate and why was it impossible?
5. What was Nate doing at the cottage?
6. What did Rachel say to Nate?
7. What did working five days on the Phelan will in the city prove to Nate's satisfaction?
8. What happened when Nate was admitted to the hospital for the second time?
9. What does Nate notice about the Indian village and how does he respond to it?
10. What was Hark doing to help his lawsuit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In his delirium, Nate was convinced that Rachel had come to visit him. He heard her voice, saw her face, and was reassured that he would not succumb to this illness. Rachel seemed to know that God had planned a future for Nate. He returned to sleep and awoke after the fever broke.
1. Do you think Rachel actually visited Nate while he was delirious? Why or why not?
2. Do you think it is possible that Rachel knew Nate was ill and actually visited him in spirit to heal him? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Nate focused on a woman, Rachel, he barely knew while he was ill?
Essay Topic 2
During his time in St. Michael's, Nate did a lot of thinking. He realized that he was the reason why his marriages had failed. He also acknowledged that he couldn't blame his children for keeping their distance from him.
1. Using examples from the book explain why you think Nate's marriages failed.
2. Using examples from the book explain why you think Nate's children keep their distance from him.
3. Do you think Nate's failures with his marriages and children were one hundred percent his fault? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Nate returned from South America with intentions to leave the world of law behind him and live simply. Hark Gettys, on the other hand, was doing just the opposite. He was behaving in unethical ways and trying to maximize his fees in any way possible.
1. Do you think all lawyers are like Hark? Why or why not?
2. Explain in detail why you might prefer Nate for a lawyer over Hark or the other way around.
3. To you think in the real world lawyers will actually help people lie to a court? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)