|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor say about Nate's fever returning?
2. To whom does Rex first tell his discovery about the lawyers?
3. What does Rachel seem to know about Nate?
4. What does Nate notice about his IV bag?
5. What does Rachel refuse to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Nate was admitted to the hospital for the second time?
2. What did Rachel say to Nate?
3. What was Nate's room like in the hospital and what kind of care did he receive?
4. Why did Josh want to speak to Nate and why was it impossible?
5. What happened right after Nate woke the day after the storm?
6. What does Nate notice about the Indian village and how does he respond to it?
7. How did Nate score the first point in the dispositions?
8. What did Nate want to do to get away following the Phelan heir depositions? Why does he want to do it? How well does he think it will work?
9. What did Neva tell Nate about the last time she spoke with Rachel? What did Nate believe about Rachel and what did he find odd?
10. What news does Welly bring to Valdir and what does he do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During his time in St. Michael's, Nate did a lot of thinking. He realized that he was the reason why his marriages had failed. He also acknowledged that he couldn't blame his children for keeping their distance from him.
1. Using examples from the book explain why you think Nate's marriages failed.
2. Using examples from the book explain why you think Nate's children keep their distance from him.
3. Do you think Nate's failures with his marriages and children were one hundred percent his fault? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The clause that exempted the heirs' new purchases from debt coverage was surely an evil scheme, since each of the heirs had made new and large purchases with the credit they expected to gain in inheritance.
1. Explain why the heirs were foolish for making expensive purchases before the will was read.
2. Do you think that it was wrong of Troy Phelan to make his will to include this clause? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is possible that Troy felt he was actually helping his children to grow onto better paths by not leaving them a lot of money? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Troy kept Rachel's whereabouts to himself, refused to answer Evelyn's letters, and her desperation culminated in her suicide five years after Rachel's birth.
1. Explain, in detail, what kind of man Troy appears to be that he would keep Evelyn from seeing her daughter.
2. Do you think Evelyn's suicide could have been prevented? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Troy would not answer Evelyn's letters? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)