|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Neva communicate with Rachel?
2. What does Nate hope to do with his children?
3. Where is Nate drawn as he wanders the city?
4. What does Hark tell the other lawyers of Troy's family?
5. What happens to the panel of three psychiatrists?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Nate think he saw when he was sick and what did he feel about it?
2. What did Nate feel like back in D.C. and what did he do about it?
3. Rex was the smartest of the Phelan heirs. What was he good at and what did he realize?
4. What did Rachel tell Nate when she returned to the village?
5. What happened right after Nate woke the day after the storm?
6. What happened when Nate was admitted to the hospital for the second time?
7. What did Rachel say to Nate?
8. Why did Josh want to speak to Nate and why was it impossible?
9. What did working five days on the Phelan will in the city prove to Nate's satisfaction?
10. How did Nate score the first point in the dispositions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
American media is predictable in nature. The more sensational a story the more attention it attracts. Troy Phelan had few friends and no one really grieved over his death, yet it received a lot of publicity.
1. Do you think the media makes too much of celebrities? Why or why not?
2. Explain why you think Troy Phelan's money was what made him interesting, not him as a person.
3. Why do you think Troy had few friends? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Nate deemed the hospital in Corumba to be insufficient and was mortified by the care he received there. The hospital in Corumba was a local one utilized only by people who had no other choice.
1. Do you think Nate was being ungrateful to the hospital? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think the people in Corumba tolerated a hospital like Nate was in?
3. Explain what you see is the connection between money and good health care.
Essay Topic 3
Nate's addictions are long-standing and Josh has had to cover for Nate on multiple occasions.
1. Covering for an addict or alcoholic is called enabling. With research, explain, using examples from the book how Josh was an enabler.
2. Do you think Nate should have been fired from his job? Why or why not?
3. How do you think a person can break an addictive habit? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)