|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rex do that his other siblings do not?
2. What does Nate tell Rachel?
3. Where does Nate end up after leaving the hospital?
4. What does Hawk tell the other lawyers that makes them nervous?
5. How long has it been since Rachel has entered the Pantanal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nate notice about the Indian village and how does he respond to it?
2. What did Rachel say to Nate?
3. Why did Josh want to speak to Nate and why was it impossible?
4. What did Neva tell Nate about the last time she spoke with Rachel? What did Nate believe about Rachel and what did he find odd?
5. What did Rachel tell Nate when she returned to the village?
6. Rex was the smartest of the Phelan heirs. What was he good at and what did he realize?
7. What did Nate feel like back in D.C. and what did he do about it?
8. Why did Josh meet with Judge Wycliff and what did he tell him? What was the Judge's response?
9. Why was Josh worried about the settlement of the will?
10. What did the lawyers fighting the will do about the sanity examination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Realizing that Father Phil had also made large changes late in life helped Nate to feel even more comfortable with Phil. Additionally, the physical labor was a good distraction and gave Nate a healthy way to spend his days. Without the work at the church, his ample spare time could have been detrimental to his rehabilitation.
1. Why do you think Father Phil's making changes in his life at an older age made it more comfortable for Nate to talk with him?
2. Explain why physical labor could be good for a recovering alcoholic.
3. Why do you think too much spare time would have been detrimental to Nate's rehabilitation?
Essay Topic 2
Nate is forty-eight-years-old and does not have much to show for it. He has created and then sabotaged relationships and is an addict. He is struck by the stark differences between how he and Rachel live.
1. Why do you think Nate might be intrigued by the way Rachel lives? Use examples from the book and to support your answer.
2. How do you think Nate feels about himself and his life after meeting Rachel? Use examples from the book and to support your answer.
3. If Nate were 23-years-old, do you think Rachel would affect him as deeply? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Ultimately the Phelan heirs each received fifty million dollars of their father's money. Rachel established a trust with her money.
1. Do you think this was a fair settlement? Why or why not?
2. Explain in detail what you think about Rachel's settlement of her inheritance.
3. Do you Josh betrayed Troy's trust in him or do you think Troy knew the settlement would probably end up something along those lines?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)