|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dr. Sabo?
2. What does Rachel sense about Nate?
3. What happens to the Santa Loura?
4. What does the neighboring village chief say about the little girl's death?
5. Who offers his services for a flat fee of five million dollars?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Josh want to speak to Nate and why was it impossible?
2. What does Nate notice about the Indian village and how does he respond to it?
3. What happened when Nate was admitted to the hospital for the second time?
4. What was Hark doing to help his lawsuit?
5. What was Nate's room like in the hospital and what kind of care did he receive?
6. What did Rex decide to do about his understanding?
7. What did Rachel say to Nate?
8. What did Neva tell Nate about the last time she spoke with Rachel? What did Nate believe about Rachel and what did he find odd?
9. Rex was the smartest of the Phelan heirs. What was he good at and what did he realize?
10. Why was Josh worried about the settlement of the will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nate was running from his problems by going on the business trip. He realized very quickly that no matter how far he ran his past would always follow.
1. Running from problems by going somewhere else is called a "geographic cure." Discuss what do you think this means.
2. Do you believe taking the geographic cure is a good idea or a bad idea? Why or why not? Could it be different depending on the circumstance?
3. Discuss two situations that might respond well to a geographic cure and two that wouldn't be helped with on.
Essay Topic 2
Nate returned from South America with intentions to leave the world of law behind him and live simply. Hark Gettys, on the other hand, was doing just the opposite. He was behaving in unethical ways and trying to maximize his fees in any way possible.
1. Do you think all lawyers are like Hark? Why or why not?
2. Explain in detail why you might prefer Nate for a lawyer over Hark or the other way around.
3. To you think in the real world lawyers will actually help people lie to a court? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Nate's addictions are long-standing and Josh has had to cover for Nate on multiple occasions.
1. Covering for an addict or alcoholic is called enabling. With research, explain, using examples from the book how Josh was an enabler.
2. Do you think Nate should have been fired from his job? Why or why not?
3. How do you think a person can break an addictive habit? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)