|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the neighboring village chief say about the little girl's death?
2. Besides preaching the gospel, what does Rachel do?
3. How is Nate's condition in this chapter?
4. How did the men of the tribe act?
5. As they are leaving the village, by what is Nate plagued?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rachel tell Nate when she returned to the village?
2. Why did Hark meet with the other Phelan heir lawyers and what happened at the meeting?
3. Why was Nate unable to speak with Rachel the day after he arrived in the village?
4. What was Nate doing at the cottage?
5. What did Nate want to do to get away following the Phelan heir depositions? Why does he want to do it? How well does he think it will work?
6. What was Nate's room like in the hospital and what kind of care did he receive?
7. What happened right after Nate woke the day after the storm?
8. What does Rachel see about Nate and what does she offer?
9. What was Hark doing to help his lawsuit?
10. Why did Josh want to speak to Nate and why was it impossible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nate is thankful for Rachel's friendship. He relies on her for the strength that he lacks. Nate must learn to be at peace with himself. It is only through inner peace that he will be strong enough to resist temptation and happy enough to move forward down a healthier path.
1. Do you think Rachel and Nate could have become friends in a few short days? Why or why not?
2. How do you think Nate being at peace with himself will help with his addictions?
3. Do you think Nate has ever experienced true friendship before? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Nate is forty-eight-years-old and does not have much to show for it. He has created and then sabotaged relationships and is an addict. He is struck by the stark differences between how he and Rachel live.
1. Why do you think Nate might be intrigued by the way Rachel lives? Use examples from the book and to support your answer.
2. How do you think Nate feels about himself and his life after meeting Rachel? Use examples from the book and to support your answer.
3. If Nate were 23-years-old, do you think Rachel would affect him as deeply? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Rachel's character is introduced in chapter twenty-six and further developed in chapter twenty-seven. She is not like any of the other characters in the book. She is entirely unmotivated by money and not interested in worldly possessions. Nate has never met anyone like her before.
1. Do you think it is realistic of the author to portray Rachel as so saintly? Why or why not?
2. Do you believe anyone would turn down billions of dollars? Why or why not?
3. Do you think that Nate will find what he is looking for by getting to know Rachel? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)