Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is trying to enlist the aid of other expert witnesses who could refute the testimony of the first panel?
2. What does Rex do that his other siblings do not?
3. What does Nate hope to do with his children?
4. What does TJ do?
5. What do Josh and the Judge review?
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 13 marked the end of Nate's sobriety. He appears to be in a state of self-denial. He is thankful to be alive yet celebrates by drowning himself in alcohol.
1. Why do you think Nate started drinking again after surviving the plane crash?
2. Discuss what is meant by self-denial.
3. Do you think Nate would have started drinking again if the plane crash had not occurred? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Unlike Rachel, Nate does want to return to the United States. She reminds him about what is good in life and offers encouragement. Their interactions leave Nate wanting to be a better man. This inner drive will eventually manifest itself as he overcomes his habits.
1. Why do you think Rachel would make Nate want to be a better man?
2. Do you think it is possible in the real world for someone who has messed up his/her life so badly to meet a person and all of a sudden want to turn his/her's life around? Why or why not?
3. Do you think a person has to have some sort of inner drive in order to change his/her life? What do you think is the inner drive in Nate?
Essay Topic 3
Nate is forty-eight-years-old and does not have much to show for it. He has created and then sabotaged relationships and is an addict. He is struck by the stark differences between how he and Rachel live.
1. Why do you think Nate might be intrigued by the way Rachel lives? Use examples from the book and to support your answer.
2. How do you think Nate feels about himself and his life after meeting Rachel? Use examples from the book and to support your answer.
3. If Nate were 23-years-old, do you think Rachel would affect him as deeply? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)