|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rachel live?
2. What does Nate offer to do for Rachel?
3. What does Rex do that his other siblings do not?
4. Besides preaching the gospel, what does Rachel do?
5. What is the problem when Nate is admitted to the hospital for the second time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Nate doing at the cottage?
2. What did Nate want to do to get away following the Phelan heir depositions? Why does he want to do it? How well does he think it will work?
3. What happened right after Nate woke the day after the storm?
4. What news does Welly bring to Valdir and what does he do about it?
5. What did Rachel say to Nate?
6. What did working five days on the Phelan will in the city prove to Nate's satisfaction?
7. How was Nate feeling physically as he journeyed back to civilization and what did he find out?
8. Why was Josh worried about the settlement of the will?
9. What did Nate feel like back in D.C. and what did he do about it?
10. Why did Josh want to speak to Nate and why was it impossible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Troy kept Rachel's whereabouts to himself, refused to answer Evelyn's letters, and her desperation culminated in her suicide five years after Rachel's birth.
1. Explain, in detail, what kind of man Troy appears to be that he would keep Evelyn from seeing her daughter.
2. Do you think Evelyn's suicide could have been prevented? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think Troy would not answer Evelyn's letters? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Realizing that Father Phil had also made large changes late in life helped Nate to feel even more comfortable with Phil. Additionally, the physical labor was a good distraction and gave Nate a healthy way to spend his days. Without the work at the church, his ample spare time could have been detrimental to his rehabilitation.
1. Why do you think Father Phil's making changes in his life at an older age made it more comfortable for Nate to talk with him?
2. Explain why physical labor could be good for a recovering alcoholic.
3. Why do you think too much spare time would have been detrimental to Nate's rehabilitation?
Essay Topic 3
Unlike Rachel, Nate does want to return to the United States. She reminds him about what is good in life and offers encouragement. Their interactions leave Nate wanting to be a better man. This inner drive will eventually manifest itself as he overcomes his habits.
1. Why do you think Rachel would make Nate want to be a better man?
2. Do you think it is possible in the real world for someone who has messed up his/her life so badly to meet a person and all of a sudden want to turn his/her's life around? Why or why not?
3. Do you think a person has to have some sort of inner drive in order to change his/her life? What do you think is the inner drive in Nate?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)