|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dr. Sabo?
2. Who does Josh call to find out about Nate?
3. Where does Nate end up after leaving the hospital?
4. Where do all waterways eventually lead in the area where Jevy and Nate are?
5. What symptoms develop in Nate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rex decide to do about his understanding?
2. What was Nate doing at the cottage?
3. What happened when Nate was admitted to the hospital for the second time?
4. What did Neva tell Nate about the last time she spoke with Rachel? What did Nate believe about Rachel and what did he find odd?
5. How was Nate feeling physically as he journeyed back to civilization and what did he find out?
6. What news does Welly bring to Valdir and what does he do about it?
7. What does Rachel see about Nate and what does she offer?
8. What did the lawyers fighting the will do about the sanity examination?
9. Why did Josh want to speak to Nate and why was it impossible?
10. What did Nate feel like back in D.C. and what did he do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nate returned from South America with intentions to leave the world of law behind him and live simply. Hark Gettys, on the other hand, was doing just the opposite. He was behaving in unethical ways and trying to maximize his fees in any way possible.
1. Do you think all lawyers are like Hark? Why or why not?
2. Explain in detail why you might prefer Nate for a lawyer over Hark or the other way around.
3. To you think in the real world lawyers will actually help people lie to a court? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Rachel's character is introduced in chapter twenty-six and further developed in chapter twenty-seven. She is not like any of the other characters in the book. She is entirely unmotivated by money and not interested in worldly possessions. Nate has never met anyone like her before.
1. Do you think it is realistic of the author to portray Rachel as so saintly? Why or why not?
2. Do you believe anyone would turn down billions of dollars? Why or why not?
3. Do you think that Nate will find what he is looking for by getting to know Rachel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The clause that exempted the heirs' new purchases from debt coverage was surely an evil scheme, since each of the heirs had made new and large purchases with the credit they expected to gain in inheritance.
1. Explain why the heirs were foolish for making expensive purchases before the will was read.
2. Do you think that it was wrong of Troy Phelan to make his will to include this clause? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is possible that Troy felt he was actually helping his children to grow onto better paths by not leaving them a lot of money? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and to support your answer.
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)