|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor say about Nate's fever returning?
2. What do Josh and the Judge review?
3. How is Nate's condition in this chapter?
4. What does Rex do that his other siblings do not?
5. Where is Nate settling in nicely?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rachel say to Nate?
2. What was Hark doing to help his lawsuit?
3. What does Nate notice about the Indian village and how does he respond to it?
4. Who did Nate think he saw when he was sick and what did he feel about it?
5. What did Nate feel like back in D.C. and what did he do about it?
6. What was Nate's room like in the hospital and what kind of care did he receive?
7. How was Nate feeling physically as he journeyed back to civilization and what did he find out?
8. What did Rachel tell Nate when she returned to the village?
9. Why did Josh meet with Judge Wycliff and what did he tell him? What was the Judge's response?
10. What did Nate want to do to get away following the Phelan heir depositions? Why does he want to do it? How well does he think it will work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Realizing that Father Phil had also made large changes late in life helped Nate to feel even more comfortable with Phil. Additionally, the physical labor was a good distraction and gave Nate a healthy way to spend his days. Without the work at the church, his ample spare time could have been detrimental to his rehabilitation.
1. Why do you think Father Phil's making changes in his life at an older age made it more comfortable for Nate to talk with him?
2. Explain why physical labor could be good for a recovering alcoholic.
3. Why do you think too much spare time would have been detrimental to Nate's rehabilitation?
Essay Topic 2
The clause that exempted the heirs' new purchases from debt coverage was surely an evil scheme, since each of the heirs had made new and large purchases with the credit they expected to gain in inheritance.
1. Explain why the heirs were foolish for making expensive purchases before the will was read.
2. Do you think that it was wrong of Troy Phelan to make his will to include this clause? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is possible that Troy felt he was actually helping his children to grow onto better paths by not leaving them a lot of money? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Rachel's character is introduced in chapter twenty-six and further developed in chapter twenty-seven. She is not like any of the other characters in the book. She is entirely unmotivated by money and not interested in worldly possessions. Nate has never met anyone like her before.
1. Do you think it is realistic of the author to portray Rachel as so saintly? Why or why not?
2. Do you believe anyone would turn down billions of dollars? Why or why not?
3. Do you think that Nate will find what he is looking for by getting to know Rachel? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)