|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nate tell Josh?
2. What do the lawyers do in the mock testimony with Sneads?
3. Of what does Rex jokingly say his mother would be proud?
4. What does Nate believe in his delirium?
5. What symptoms develop in Nate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Nate was admitted to the hospital for the second time?
2. What did working five days on the Phelan will in the city prove to Nate's satisfaction?
3. What news does Welly bring to Valdir and what does he do about it?
4. What did Rachel tell Nate when she returned to the village?
5. What was Nate's room like in the hospital and what kind of care did he receive?
6. What did Nate feel like back in D.C. and what did he do about it?
7. What did Neva tell Nate about the last time she spoke with Rachel? What did Nate believe about Rachel and what did he find odd?
8. What did Rex decide to do about his understanding?
9. What did Nate tell Josh on the drive from the airport?
10. Why did Josh meet with Judge Wycliff and what did he tell him? What was the Judge's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nate is thankful for Rachel's friendship. He relies on her for the strength that he lacks. Nate must learn to be at peace with himself. It is only through inner peace that he will be strong enough to resist temptation and happy enough to move forward down a healthier path.
1. Do you think Rachel and Nate could have become friends in a few short days? Why or why not?
2. How do you think Nate being at peace with himself will help with his addictions?
3. Do you think Nate has ever experienced true friendship before? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Nate's addictions are long-standing and Josh has had to cover for Nate on multiple occasions.
1. Covering for an addict or alcoholic is called enabling. With research, explain, using examples from the book how Josh was an enabler.
2. Do you think Nate should have been fired from his job? Why or why not?
3. How do you think a person can break an addictive habit? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The clause that exempted the heirs' new purchases from debt coverage was surely an evil scheme, since each of the heirs had made new and large purchases with the credit they expected to gain in inheritance.
1. Explain why the heirs were foolish for making expensive purchases before the will was read.
2. Do you think that it was wrong of Troy Phelan to make his will to include this clause? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is possible that Troy felt he was actually helping his children to grow onto better paths by not leaving them a lot of money? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and to support your answer.
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)