|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Markham believe Mr. Lawrence reacts to his advice about the Wilsons?
2. In Chapter 48, what does Helen wish for Miss Hargrave?
3. In Chapter 30, why doesn't Helen talk to Mr. Huntingdon about his lying?
4. Who tells Helen about Mr. Huntingdon and Lady Lowborough's relationship?
5. How does Mr. Walter Hargrave try to win over Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mr. Markham want Mr. Lawrence to go to the Wilsons?
2. In Chapter 50, what makes Mr. Markham anxious?
3. In Chapter 46, what does Mr. Lawrence tell Mr. Markham about Helen?
4. What does Mr. Markham finally say to Helen after her husband's death?
5. In Chapter 37, how does Mr. Hargrave try to convince Helen to have an affair?
6. In Chapter 39, how does Helen make plans to leave her husband?
7. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon hires a governess?
8. In Chapter 51, how does Eliza mislead Mr. Markham?
9. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon accuses Helen of having an affair with Mr. Hargrave?
10. In Chapter 34, what happens when Helen confronts Lady Lowborough?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Mr. Hargrave a protagonist or an antagonist? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of infidelity in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
What commentary on marriage does "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" provide? How is this institution developed? How is it at odds with society? How is it at odds with the individual? What purpose does marriage have?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)