|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lord Lowborough do after learning about his wife's affair?
2. What does Mr. Huntingdon refuse to do when Helen asks him about his lying in "Chapter 30"?
3. What does Mr. Markham do after reading Helen's diary?
4. In Chapter 48, what does Helen wish for Miss Hargrave?
5. Who does Helen write to to have them prepare Wildfell Hall for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 31, what does Helen notice about Lord Lowborough?
2. In Chapter 47, what does Eliza announce?
3. Why doesn't Mr. Markham want Mr. Lawrence to go to the Wilsons?
4. How does Mr. Hargrave try to win Helen's affections?
5. What does Mr. Markham finally say to Helen after her husband's death?
6. How does Helen get her son to stop drinking alcohol?
7. In Chapter 49, what does Mr. Lawrence do to answer Mr. Markham's questions?
8. How does Helen protect her son when she returns to Mr. Huntingdon?
9. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon accuses Helen of having an affair with Mr. Hargrave?
10. In Chapter 37, how does Mr. Hargrave try to convince Helen to have an affair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of discontent in "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall."
Essay Topic 2
What commentary on marriage does "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" provide? How is this institution developed? How is it at odds with society? How is it at odds with the individual? What purpose does marriage have?
Essay Topic 3
Research the life of Anne Bronte and make connections to the plot and themes of this novel.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)