|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Markham learn that Helen returns to Mr. Huntingdon?
2. What does Mr. Huntingdon do when Helen visits her sick brother?
3. What does Helen do when Lady Lowborough shows up to hunt in Chapter 38?
4. When Lord Lowborough finds out about his wife's affair, what does his friend suggest?
5. In Chapter 50, how long does Mr. Markham say he must wait before speaking to Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 39, how does Helen make plans to leave her husband?
2. In Chapter 51, how does Eliza mislead Mr. Markham?
3. What does Mr. Markham say to Helen after reading her diary?
4. How does Mr. Hargrave react when he learns of Helen's plans to leave her husband?
5. How does Mr. Hargrave try to win Helen's affections?
6. What does Mr. Markham say to Mr. Lawrence after reading Helen's diary?
7. How does Helen get her son to stop drinking alcohol?
8. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon accuses Helen of having an affair with Mr. Hargrave?
9. In Chapter 31, what does Helen notice about Lord Lowborough?
10. Why doesn't Mr. Markham want Mr. Lawrence to go to the Wilsons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two manors as settings in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the symbolism of roses in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Is Mr. Hargrave a protagonist or an antagonist? Why?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)