|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 39, who does Helen confide in about her marital problems?
2. In Chapter 39, why does Helen begin to paint again?
3. In Chapter 43, who does Mr. Huntingdon hire?
4. In Chapter 48, what does Helen wish for Miss Hargrave?
5. Why does Helen begin planning to leave again in Chapter 43?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 51, how does Eliza mislead Mr. Markham?
2. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon returns home in Chapter 30?
3. How does Mr. Markham reveal who he is writing his letter to?
4. In Chapter 31, what bothers Helen about Lady Lowborough when she visits to hunt?
5. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon hires a governess?
6. In Chapter 49, what does Mr. Lawrence do to answer Mr. Markham's questions?
7. How does Mr. Hargrave react when he learns of Helen's plans to leave her husband?
8. In Chapter 37, how does Mr. Hargrave try to convince Helen to have an affair?
9. In Chapter 46, what does Mr. Lawrence tell Mr. Markham about Helen?
10. According to Helen's letters, what happens to Mr. Huntingdon in Chapter 49?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the life of Anne Bronte and make connections to the plot and themes of this novel.
Essay Topic 2
How is romantic love at odds with society in "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall"? What is significant about this?
Essay Topic 3
What role does gossip play in this novel?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)