|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Helen first arrives at Wildfell Hall, what does she note there isn't a lot of?
2. Why does Mr. Markham want to tell his family the truth about Helen?
3. How does Mr. Walter Hargrave try to win over Helen?
4. In Chapter 32, how does Mr. Hattersley upset his wife?
5. In Chapter 50, why does Helen spend most of her time at Staningley?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 46, what does Mr. Lawrence tell Mr. Markham about Helen?
2. How does Helen explain her return to Mr. Huntingdon?
3. In Chapter 37, how does Mr. Hargrave try to convince Helen to have an affair?
4. In Chapter 34, what happens when Helen confronts Lady Lowborough?
5. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon returns home in Chapter 30?
6. In Chapter 47, what does Eliza announce?
7. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon hires a governess?
8. How does Mr. Huntingdon use Arthur to upset Helen?
9. In Chapter 31, what does Helen notice about Lord Lowborough?
10. In Chapter 39, how does Helen make plans to leave her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does social class affect the characters in this novel? What message is delivered about social classes?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of infidelity in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
What role does gossip play in this novel?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)