|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 47, what does Eliza say about Helen?
2. In Chapter 37, how does Mr. Hargrave try to convince Helen to have an affair?
3. How does Mr. Huntingdon use Arthur to upset Helen in Chapter 36?
4. What does Mr. Markham do after reading Helen's diary?
5. What does Mr. Huntingdon fear in Chapter 48?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 31, what bothers Helen about Lady Lowborough when she visits to hunt?
2. In Chapter 34, what happens when Helen confronts Lady Lowborough?
3. How does Mr. Hargrave react when he learns of Helen's plans to leave her husband?
4. How does Helen finally escape Mr. Huntingdon?
5. How does Helen explain her return to Mr. Huntingdon?
6. What does Mr. Markham say to Helen after reading her diary?
7. In Chapter 33, what does Helen overhear?
8. In Chapter 39, how does Helen make plans to leave her husband?
9. What does Mr. Markham finally say to Helen after her husband's death?
10. How does Helen discover her husband's affair with Lady Lowborough?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the use of literal vs. figurative deaths in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the format of the novel as a set of letters and diary. What is effective about this? What is ineffective?
Essay Topic 3
What role does gossip play in this novel?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)