|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 39, who does Helen confide in about her marital problems?
2. Who does Helen write to to have them prepare Wildfell Hall for her?
3. In Chapter 30, why doesn't Helen talk to Mr. Huntingdon about his lying?
4. Which Lowborough child does Mr. Markham believe is Mr. Huntingdon's?
5. Why does Helen return to Mr. Huntingdon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Huntingdon use Arthur to upset Helen?
2. In Chapter 48, what does Helen write in a letter?
3. In Chapter 49, what does Mr. Lawrence do to answer Mr. Markham's questions?
4. How does Mr. Hargrave try to win Helen's affections?
5. Why doesn't Mr. Markham want Mr. Lawrence to go to the Wilsons?
6. How does Helen protect her son when she returns to Mr. Huntingdon?
7. In Chapter 50, what makes Mr. Markham anxious?
8. How does Helen finally escape Mr. Huntingdon?
9. In Chapter 39, how does Helen make plans to leave her husband?
10. How does Mr. Hargrave react when he learns of Helen's plans to leave her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Follow the development of Helen throughout the novel. What literary devices are used to develop and reveal her true character?
Essay Topic 2
What difficulties are faced by women in this novel? What causes these difficulties? What commentary does the author provide on being a woman?
Essay Topic 3
What commentary on marriage does "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" provide? How is this institution developed? How is it at odds with society? How is it at odds with the individual? What purpose does marriage have?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)