|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Lawrence feel about asking Helen to allow Mr. Markham to tell her story to others?
2. In Chapter 47, what does Eliza say about Helen?
3. In Chapter 49, how does Mr. Markham learn about Helen?
4. What does Mr. Huntingdon refuse to do when Helen asks him about his lying in "Chapter 30"?
5. When Lord Lowborough finds out about his wife's affair, what does his friend suggest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Markham reveal who he is writing his letter to?
2. In Chapter 39, how does Helen make plans to leave her husband?
3. Why doesn't Mr. Markham want Mr. Lawrence to go to the Wilsons?
4. How does Helen finally escape Mr. Huntingdon?
5. How does Helen get her son to stop drinking alcohol?
6. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon returns home in Chapter 30?
7. What does Mr. Markham say to Helen after reading her diary?
8. In Chapter 33, what does Helen overhear?
9. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon accuses Helen of having an affair with Mr. Hargrave?
10. In Chapter 34, what happens when Helen confronts Lady Lowborough?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What difficulties are faced by women in this novel? What causes these difficulties? What commentary does the author provide on being a woman?
Essay Topic 2
How is romantic love at odds with society in "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall"? What is significant about this?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of discontent in "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall."
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)