|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 30, why doesn't Helen talk to Mr. Huntingdon about his lying?
2. What does Helen admit to doing in Chapter 30?
3. How does Helen learn about her husband stopping drinking in Chapter 33?
4. How does Mr. Huntingdon learn about his wife's plan to leave him?
5. After Mr. Huntingdon takes most of Helen's money and belongings, what does he leave her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Markham reveal who he is writing his letter to?
2. How does Helen discover her husband's affair with Lady Lowborough?
3. How does Helen finally escape Mr. Huntingdon?
4. In Chapter 48, what does Helen write in a letter?
5. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon accuses Helen of having an affair with Mr. Hargrave?
6. How does Mr. Hargrave react when he learns of Helen's plans to leave her husband?
7. How does Helen get her son to stop drinking alcohol?
8. What does Mr. Markham say to Mr. Lawrence after reading Helen's diary?
9. How does Mr. Hargrave try to win Helen's affections?
10. What does Mr. Huntingdon do after reading Helen's diary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is childhood defined in this novel? What role do children play?
Essay Topic 2
What role does gossip play in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
What difficulties are faced by women in this novel? What causes these difficulties? What commentary does the author provide on being a woman?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)