|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Walter Hargrave try to win over Helen?
2. In Chapter 43, who does Mr. Huntingdon hire?
3. What does Helen admit stands in the way of her marrying Mr. Markham in Chapter 53?
4. How does Helen sneak away from home to leave for Wildfell Hall?
5. What does Helen do when Lady Lowborough shows up to hunt in Chapter 38?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the format of the novel as a set of letters and diary. What is effective about this? What is ineffective?
Essay Topic 2
Is Mr. Hargrave a protagonist or an antagonist? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What difficulties are faced by women in this novel? What causes these difficulties? What commentary does the author provide on being a woman?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)