|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 50, why does Helen spend most of her time at Staningley?
2. What does Mr. Huntingdon ask Helen to help him do in Chapter 49?
3. When do Helen and Mr. Markham agree to be married?
4. How does Mr. Walter Hargrave try to win over Helen?
5. Where does Lady Lowborough run away to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helen get her son to stop drinking alcohol?
2. How does Mr. Huntingdon use Arthur to upset Helen?
3. In Chapter 39, how does Helen make plans to leave her husband?
4. In Chapter 33, what does Helen overhear?
5. In Chapter 50, what makes Mr. Markham anxious?
6. In Chapter 34, what happens when Helen confronts Lady Lowborough?
7. According to Helen's letters, what happens to Mr. Huntingdon in Chapter 49?
8. In Chapter 49, what does Mr. Lawrence do to answer Mr. Markham's questions?
9. Why doesn't Mr. Markham want Mr. Lawrence to go to the Wilsons?
10. What does Mr. Markham finally say to Helen after her husband's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does social class affect the characters in this novel? What message is delivered about social classes?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the format of the novel as a set of letters and diary. What is effective about this? What is ineffective?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of infidelity in this novel?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)