|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Helen and Mr. Markham agree to be married?
2. Why is Mr. Hattersley in town in Chapter 42?
3. In Chapter 31, why does Lord Lowborough spend his nights walking?
4. How does Mr. Markham learn that Helen returns to Mr. Huntingdon?
5. What does Helen have Mr. Huntingdon do before seeing his son in Chapter 47?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helen discover her husband's affair with Lady Lowborough?
2. In Chapter 46, what does Mr. Lawrence tell Mr. Markham about Helen?
3. In Chapter 31, what bothers Helen about Lady Lowborough when she visits to hunt?
4. In Chapter 47, what does Eliza announce?
5. How does Helen explain her return to Mr. Huntingdon?
6. How does Mr. Huntingdon use Arthur to upset Helen?
7. In Chapter 34, what happens when Helen confronts Lady Lowborough?
8. In Chapter 49, what does Mr. Lawrence do to answer Mr. Markham's questions?
9. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon accuses Helen of having an affair with Mr. Hargrave?
10. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon hires a governess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character analysis of Mr. Huntingdon. Consider his role in developing the plot, the other characters and the theme. What is Mr. Huntingdon's purpose in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the symbolism of roses in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Follow the development of Helen throughout the novel. What literary devices are used to develop and reveal her true character?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)