|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Walter Hargrave try to win over Helen?
2. In Chapter 39, why does Helen begin to paint again?
3. In Chapter 41, what does Helen do while her husband is in London?
4. Where does Lady Lowborough run away to?
5. In Chapter 35, what favor does Lady Lowborough ask of Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 34, what happens when Helen confronts Lady Lowborough?
2. In Chapter 51, how does Eliza mislead Mr. Markham?
3. How does Mr. Markham reveal who he is writing his letter to?
4. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon accuses Helen of having an affair with Mr. Hargrave?
5. How does Mr. Hargrave try to win Helen's affections?
6. How does Helen protect her son when she returns to Mr. Huntingdon?
7. What does Mr. Huntingdon do after reading Helen's diary?
8. How does Helen finally escape Mr. Huntingdon?
9. According to Helen's letters, what happens to Mr. Huntingdon in Chapter 49?
10. How does Mr. Hargrave react when he learns of Helen's plans to leave her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Mr. Hargrave a protagonist or an antagonist? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How is childhood defined in this novel? What role do children play?
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in this novel? How is religion a theme?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)