|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 34, what does Helen tell Lady Lowborough to do when she reveals the affair?
2. In Chapter 42, how does Helen convince Mr. Hattersley that he is right to change his ways?
3. When does Mr. Lawrence plan on visiting the Wilsons in Chapter 46?
4. In Chapter 46, why does Mr. Markham visit Mr. Lawrence?
5. Who does Helen write to to have them prepare Wildfell Hall for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Hargrave try to win Helen's affections?
2. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon accuses Helen of having an affair with Mr. Hargrave?
3. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon hires a governess?
4. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon returns home in Chapter 30?
5. How does Mr. Markham reveal who he is writing his letter to?
6. In Chapter 37, how does Mr. Hargrave try to convince Helen to have an affair?
7. How does Helen protect her son when she returns to Mr. Huntingdon?
8. How does Helen finally escape Mr. Huntingdon?
9. What does Mr. Markham finally say to Helen after her husband's death?
10. Why doesn't Mr. Markham want Mr. Lawrence to go to the Wilsons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of infidelity in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
What role does religion play in this novel? How is religion a theme?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the use of literal vs. figurative deaths in this novel.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)