|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 36, what happens when Helen asks about Mr. Huntingdon's health?
2. Why does Jane Wilson move to the city?
3. What does Helen admit to doing in Chapter 30?
4. Where does Helen want to go with her son in Chapter 39?
5. What does Helen do when Mr. Hargrave offers her protection in Chapter 39?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 47, what does Eliza announce?
2. In Chapter 46, what does Mr. Lawrence tell Mr. Markham about Helen?
3. In Chapter 34, what happens when Helen confronts Lady Lowborough?
4. In Chapter 48, what does Helen write in a letter?
5. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon returns home in Chapter 30?
6. How does Helen protect her son when she returns to Mr. Huntingdon?
7. According to Helen's letters, what happens to Mr. Huntingdon in Chapter 49?
8. How does Helen explain her return to Mr. Huntingdon?
9. In Chapter 49, what does Mr. Lawrence do to answer Mr. Markham's questions?
10. How does Helen discover her husband's affair with Lady Lowborough?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does gossip play in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
What commentary on marriage does "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" provide? How is this institution developed? How is it at odds with society? How is it at odds with the individual? What purpose does marriage have?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two manors as settings in this novel.
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)