|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Markham learn that Helen returns to Mr. Huntingdon?
2. In Chapter 30, where does Helen go for the fall?
3. How does Mr. Walter Hargrave try to win over Helen?
4. What does Mr. Markham do with his family farm in Chapter 80?
5. At the end of Chapter 52, what does Mr. Markham decide to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helen protect her son when she returns to Mr. Huntingdon?
2. What does Mr. Huntingdon do after reading Helen's diary?
3. According to Helen's letters, what happens to Mr. Huntingdon in Chapter 49?
4. In Chapter 33, what does Helen overhear?
5. In Chapter 31, what bothers Helen about Lady Lowborough when she visits to hunt?
6. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon hires a governess?
7. What does Mr. Markham say to Helen after reading her diary?
8. In Chapter 31, what does Helen notice about Lord Lowborough?
9. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon accuses Helen of having an affair with Mr. Hargrave?
10. How does Helen explain her return to Mr. Huntingdon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use foreshadowing in this novel? How is it effective? How is it ineffective?
Essay Topic 2
What commentary on marriage does "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" provide? How is this institution developed? How is it at odds with society? How is it at odds with the individual? What purpose does marriage have?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of discontent in "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall."
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)