|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Markham learn that Helen returns to Mr. Huntingdon?
2. In Chapter 42, what makes Helen believe she can stay in her marriage?
3. How does Mr. Huntingdon use Arthur to upset Helen in Chapter 36?
4. Why does Jane Wilson move to the city?
5. What does Mr. Markham do when he hears about Helen's wedding in Chapter 51?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 49, what does Mr. Lawrence do to answer Mr. Markham's questions?
2. In Chapter 37, how does Mr. Hargrave try to convince Helen to have an affair?
3. In Chapter 50, what makes Mr. Markham anxious?
4. In Chapter 34, what happens when Helen confronts Lady Lowborough?
5. How does Mr. Huntingdon use Arthur to upset Helen?
6. How does Helen finally escape Mr. Huntingdon?
7. How does Mr. Markham reveal who he is writing his letter to?
8. According to Helen's letters, what happens to Mr. Huntingdon in Chapter 49?
9. In Chapter 31, what bothers Helen about Lady Lowborough when she visits to hunt?
10. In Chapter 47, what does Eliza announce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Follow the development of Helen throughout the novel. What literary devices are used to develop and reveal her true character?
Essay Topic 2
Research the life of Anne Bronte and make connections to the plot and themes of this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast at least two men in this novel. What message is delivered about being a man in this society?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)