|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 41, what does Helen do while her husband is in London?
2. Why does Mr. Hattersley try to hit Mr. Hargrave?
3. Why does Helen begin planning to leave again in Chapter 43?
4. What does Helen admit to doing in Chapter 30?
5. What does Mr. Markham do after reading Helen's diary?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Markham reveal who he is writing his letter to?
2. In Chapter 46, what does Mr. Lawrence tell Mr. Markham about Helen?
3. How does Helen discover her husband's affair with Lady Lowborough?
4. In Chapter 50, what makes Mr. Markham anxious?
5. In Chapter 48, what does Helen write in a letter?
6. How does Mr. Hargrave try to win Helen's affections?
7. Why doesn't Mr. Markham want Mr. Lawrence to go to the Wilsons?
8. In Chapter 37, how does Mr. Hargrave try to convince Helen to have an affair?
9. In Chapter 39, how does Helen make plans to leave her husband?
10. In Chapter 31, what bothers Helen about Lady Lowborough when she visits to hunt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Follow the development of Helen throughout the novel. What literary devices are used to develop and reveal her true character?
Essay Topic 2
Is Mr. Hargrave a protagonist or an antagonist? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use foreshadowing in this novel? How is it effective? How is it ineffective?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)