|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Huntingdon begin flirting with Annabella?
2. Why does Mrs. Graham say she brought her son with her in Chapter 3?
3. Why does Mrs. Graham give Mr. Markham her diary?
4. What does Mrs. Graham do before giving her diary to Mr. Markham?
5. How does Helen feel when Mr. Huntingdon finds the portrait of himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Lowboroughs come to visit at Grassdale, how does Mr. Huntingdon embarrass Helen?
2. In Chapter 6, what does Mr. Markham talk to Mr. Lawrence about?
3. In Chapter 22, how does Mr. Huntingdon admit to being a bad influence on Lord Lowborough?
4. Why is Mr. Markham writing a letter to his friend?
5. How does Helen react when Mr. Huntingdon finds a portrait she drew in Chapter 18?
6. How does Helen convince her family to let her marry Mr. Huntingdon?
7. What role does Helen's aunt play in her love life in Chapter 16?
8. Why does Mrs. Markham disagree with Mr. Markham's relationship with Eliza?
9. What happens when Mr. Markham gives Mrs. Graham a book in Chapter 8?
10. What do Mrs. Graham and Mrs. Markham argue about in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character analysis of Mr. Huntingdon. Consider his role in developing the plot, the other characters and the theme. What is Mr. Huntingdon's purpose in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the symbolism of roses in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
What role does gossip play in this novel?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)