|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Graham give Mr. Markham her diary?
2. What does Mrs. Graham do before giving her diary to Mr. Markham?
3. Where does Mr. Markham go at the end of Chapter 11?
4. What does Mrs. Graham refuse in Chapter 3?
5. What stories does Mr. Huntingdon tell Helen in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what gossip does Eliza share?
2. How does Mr. Markham react to the gossip about Mrs. Graham in Chapter 9?
3. How does Helen react when Mr. Huntingdon finds a portrait she drew in Chapter 18?
4. Why does Mrs. Graham organize a trip to the shore in Chapter 7?
5. Why does Mrs. Markham disagree with Mr. Markham's relationship with Eliza?
6. In Chapter 21, how do Mr. Huntingdon's friends react to his engagement to Helen?
7. What happens when Helen and Mr. Huntingdon travel to London?
8. What do Mrs. Graham and Mrs. Markham argue about in Chapter 4?
9. In Chapter 1, what is Mr. Markham's living arrangement?
10. In Chapter 4, why does Mrs. Graham say she can't visit other families in town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use foreshadowing in this novel? How is it effective? How is it ineffective?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast at least two men in this novel. What message is delivered about being a man in this society?
Essay Topic 3
What difficulties are faced by women in this novel? What causes these difficulties? What commentary does the author provide on being a woman?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)