|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of paintings does Mr. Markham look through at Mrs. Graham's house in "Chapter Five"?
2. Where does Helen make a small sketch of Mr. Huntingdon?
3. In Chapter 23, how does Mr. Huntingdon act while at home?
4. In Chapter 12, why does Mr. Markham return to Wildfell Hall?
5. What does Mrs. Graham do before giving her diary to Mr. Markham?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mr. Markham gives Mrs. Graham a book in Chapter 8?
2. What happens when Mr. Markham returns to Mrs. Graham's house in Chapter 12?
3. When the Lowboroughs come to visit at Grassdale, how does Mr. Huntingdon embarrass Helen?
4. In Chapter 6, what does Mr. Markham talk to Mr. Lawrence about?
5. What happens during the trip to the shore in Chapter 7?
6. What happens when Helen and Mr. Huntingdon travel to London?
7. How does Helen convince her family to let her marry Mr. Huntingdon?
8. Why does Mrs. Markham disagree with Mr. Markham's relationship with Eliza?
9. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon tells Helen stories about his past after they are married?
10. Why does Helen's aunt disapprove of Mr. Huntingdon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What difficulties are faced by women in this novel? What causes these difficulties? What commentary does the author provide on being a woman?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of infidelity in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Follow the development of Helen throughout the novel. What literary devices are used to develop and reveal her true character?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)