|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Markham warn Mr. Markham about marrying Eliza?
2. What does Mr. Huntingdon say Lord Lowborough did after losing his fortune?
3. Why does Helen suggest that Lord Lowborough is marrying Annabella?
4. In Chapter 7, why doesn't Mr. Markham carry Mrs. Graham's things for her?
5. In Chapter 10, what does Mr. Millward seem to think about the rumors about Mrs. Graham?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Markham disagree with Mr. Markham's relationship with Eliza?
2. In Chapter 22, what do Helen and Mr. Huntingdon say about Annabella and Lord Lowborough?
3. In Chapter 1, what is Mr. Markham's living arrangement?
4. In Chapter 22, how does Mr. Huntingdon admit to being a bad influence on Lord Lowborough?
5. How does Mr. Markham treat Mr. Lawrence after he overhears him talking with Mrs. Graham about their affair?
6. In Chapter 13, what bothers Mr. Markham about visiting Mr. Wilson?
7. Why does Mrs. Graham organize a trip to the shore in Chapter 7?
8. What happens when Helen and Mr. Huntingdon travel to London?
9. When the Lowboroughs come to visit at Grassdale, how does Mr. Huntingdon embarrass Helen?
10. In Chapter 6, what does Mr. Markham talk to Mr. Lawrence about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of morals and morality in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Follow the development of Helen throughout the novel. What literary devices are used to develop and reveal her true character?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two manors as settings in this novel.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)