|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, when does Mrs. Graham say she will tell Mr. Markham the truth about her?
2. In Chapter 8, what does Mrs. Graham do when Mr. Markham offers her a book as a present?
3. Why does Helen suggest that Lord Lowborough is marrying Annabella?
4. What does Mr. Huntingdon do when he finds the portrait of himself?
5. How did Lord Lowborough lose his fortune?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the trip to the shore in Chapter 7?
2. In Chapter 13, what bothers Mr. Markham about visiting Mr. Wilson?
3. In Chapter 12, what does Mr. Markham tell Mrs. Graham about the rumors about her?
4. What role does Helen's aunt play in her love life in Chapter 16?
5. Why is Mr. Markham writing a letter to his friend?
6. In Chapter 1, what is Mr. Markham's living arrangement?
7. When the Lowboroughs come to visit at Grassdale, how does Mr. Huntingdon embarrass Helen?
8. What happens to Mr. Huntingdon after Helen gives birth to a son?
9. What happens when Mr. Markham returns to Mrs. Graham's house in Chapter 12?
10. What is Mr. Markham's first impression of Mrs. Graham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the symbolism of roses in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
How does social class affect the characters in this novel? What message is delivered about social classes?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of infidelity in this novel?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)