|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fascinates Mr. Markham about Mrs. Graham the first time they meet?
2. In Chapter 25, how long do the Huntingdons spend in London?
3. In Chapter 10, where does Mr. Markham run into Mr. Lawrence?
4. In Chapter 8, what does Mrs. Graham do when Mr. Markham offers her a book as a present?
5. In Chapter 22, what makes Helen doubt Mr. Huntingdon's character?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what does Mr. Markham tell Mrs. Graham about the rumors about her?
2. What is Mr. Markham's first impression of Mrs. Graham?
3. What happens when Mr. Markham gives Mrs. Graham a book in Chapter 8?
4. How does Mrs. Graham try to explain her relationship with Mr. Lawrence to Mr. Markham?
5. How does Helen react when Mr. Huntingdon finds a portrait she drew in Chapter 18?
6. In Chapter 6, what does Mr. Markham talk to Mr. Lawrence about?
7. In Chapter 9, what gossip does Eliza share?
8. How does Mr. Markham react to the gossip about Mrs. Graham in Chapter 9?
9. In Chapter 13, what bothers Mr. Markham about visiting Mr. Wilson?
10. How does Mr. Markham treat Mr. Lawrence after he overhears him talking with Mrs. Graham about their affair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What commentary on marriage does "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" provide? How is this institution developed? How is it at odds with society? How is it at odds with the individual? What purpose does marriage have?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of discontent in "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall."
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in this novel? How is religion a theme?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)