|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Graham refuse in Chapter 3?
2. What happens to Mr. Lawrence when Mr. Markham hits him in Chapter 14?
3. What does Mr. Markham insist his visits and gifts are about in Chapter 8?
4. In Chapter 22, how does Helen feel about what Mr. Huntingdon tells her about Lord Lowborough?
5. Where does Helen make a small sketch of Mr. Huntingdon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Markham visit Mrs. Graham in Chapter 10?
2. What role does Helen's aunt play in her love life in Chapter 16?
3. How does Mr. Markham treat Mr. Lawrence after he overhears him talking with Mrs. Graham about their affair?
4. In Chapter 22, how does Mr. Huntingdon admit to being a bad influence on Lord Lowborough?
5. In Chapter 9, what gossip does Eliza share?
6. What happens when Helen and Mr. Huntingdon travel to London?
7. In Chapter 12, what does Mr. Markham tell Mrs. Graham about the rumors about her?
8. How does Helen react when Mr. Huntingdon finds a portrait she drew in Chapter 18?
9. In Chapter 4, why does Mrs. Graham say she can't visit other families in town?
10. When the Lowboroughs come to visit at Grassdale, how does Mr. Huntingdon embarrass Helen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use foreshadowing in this novel? How is it effective? How is it ineffective?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the format of the novel as a set of letters and diary. What is effective about this? What is ineffective?
Essay Topic 3
What commentary on marriage does "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" provide? How is this institution developed? How is it at odds with society? How is it at odds with the individual? What purpose does marriage have?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)