|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fascinates Mr. Markham about Mrs. Graham the first time they meet?
2. What does Mr. Huntingdon do when he finds the portrait of himself?
3. Why does Mr. Markham begin to work so many hours in Chapter 13?
4. How does Mr. Markham learn that Mrs. Graham moved in next door?
5. What does Mrs. Graham say about her virtue in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mr. Markham's first impression of Mrs. Graham?
2. Why does Mrs. Markham disagree with Mr. Markham's relationship with Eliza?
3. How does Mr. Markham react to the gossip about Mrs. Graham in Chapter 9?
4. In Chapter 13, what bothers Mr. Markham about visiting Mr. Wilson?
5. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon tells Helen stories about his past after they are married?
6. How does Helen convince her family to let her marry Mr. Huntingdon?
7. When the Lowboroughs come to visit at Grassdale, how does Mr. Huntingdon embarrass Helen?
8. In Chapter 4, why does Mrs. Graham say she can't visit other families in town?
9. What happens to Mr. Huntingdon after Helen gives birth to a son?
10. How does Mrs. Graham try to explain her relationship with Mr. Lawrence to Mr. Markham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the symbolism of roses in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
How does social class affect the characters in this novel? What message is delivered about social classes?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast at least two men in this novel. What message is delivered about being a man in this society?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)