Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. Markham writing a letter to his friend?
2. In Chapter 12, when does Mrs. Graham say she will tell Mr. Markham the truth about her?
3. At the end of Chapter 25, what does Mr. Huntingdon decide to do?
4. How does Mr. Markham feel while visiting Mr. Wilson in Chapter 13?
5. In Chapter 7, where does Mrs. Graham say she wants to visit in order to sketch?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 31, what bothers Helen about Lady Lowborough when she visits to hunt?
2. In Chapter 33, what does Helen overhear?
3. In Chapter 22, what do Helen and Mr. Huntingdon say about Annabella and Lord Lowborough?
4. What does Mr. Markham say to Helen after reading her diary?
5. How does Mr. Markham treat Mr. Lawrence after he overhears him talking with Mrs. Graham about their affair?
6. According to Helen's letters, what happens to Mr. Huntingdon in Chapter 49?
7. What happens to Mr. Huntingdon after Helen gives birth to a son?
8. What does Mr. Huntingdon do after reading Helen's diary?
9. In Chapter 9, what gossip does Eliza share?
10. In Chapter 37, how does Mr. Hargrave try to convince Helen to have an affair?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the format of the novel as a set of letters and diary. What is effective about this? What is ineffective?
Essay Topic 2
Follow the development of Helen throughout the novel. What literary devices are used to develop and reveal her true character?
Essay Topic 3
What difficulties are faced by women in this novel? What causes these difficulties? What commentary does the author provide on being a woman?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)