|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Graham do before giving her diary to Mr. Markham?
2. What does Mr. Markham tell Mrs. Graham when she is upset in Chapter 12?
3. In Chapter 22, how does Helen feel about what Mr. Huntingdon tells her about Lord Lowborough?
4. In Chapter 26, what embarrasses Helen?
5. Where does Mrs. Graham entertain Mr. Markham and Rose when they visit in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Helen's aunt disapprove of Mr. Huntingdon?
2. Why does Mr. Markham visit Mrs. Graham in Chapter 10?
3. What happens when Helen and Mr. Huntingdon travel to London?
4. What happens to Mr. Huntingdon after Helen gives birth to a son?
5. How does Mr. Markham treat Mr. Lawrence after he overhears him talking with Mrs. Graham about their affair?
6. In Chapter 22, what do Helen and Mr. Huntingdon say about Annabella and Lord Lowborough?
7. What role does Helen's aunt play in her love life in Chapter 16?
8. How does Mrs. Graham try to explain her relationship with Mr. Lawrence to Mr. Markham?
9. How does Helen react when Mr. Huntingdon finds a portrait she drew in Chapter 18?
10. In Chapter 12, what does Mr. Markham tell Mrs. Graham about the rumors about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of infidelity in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Follow the development of Helen throughout the novel. What literary devices are used to develop and reveal her true character?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two manors as settings in this novel.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)