|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Chapter 16 take place?
2. What happens to Mr. Lawrence when Mr. Markham hits him in Chapter 14?
3. In Chapter 12, why does Mr. Markham begin to believe the rumors about Mrs. Graham and Mr. Lawrence?
4. In Chapter 2, why does the boy come to talk to Mr. Markham?
5. What does Fergus ask Mrs. Graham about in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Markham treat Mr. Lawrence after he overhears him talking with Mrs. Graham about their affair?
2. How does Mr. Markham react to the gossip about Mrs. Graham in Chapter 9?
3. In Chapter 18, what is the relationship between Mr. Huntingdon and Annabella?
4. How does Helen convince her family to let her marry Mr. Huntingdon?
5. How does Mrs. Graham try to explain her relationship with Mr. Lawrence to Mr. Markham?
6. What is Mr. Markham's first impression of Mrs. Graham?
7. How does Helen react when Mr. Huntingdon finds a portrait she drew in Chapter 18?
8. What happens to Mr. Huntingdon after Helen gives birth to a son?
9. What happens when Mr. Markham returns to Mrs. Graham's house in Chapter 12?
10. When the Lowboroughs come to visit at Grassdale, how does Mr. Huntingdon embarrass Helen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the symbolism of roses in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
What commentary on marriage does "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" provide? How is this institution developed? How is it at odds with society? How is it at odds with the individual? What purpose does marriage have?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of infidelity in this novel?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)