|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Millward say he told Mrs. Graham about the rumors?
2. What does Mr. Markham insist his visits and gifts are about in Chapter 8?
3. How does Mr. Huntingdon find the sketch of himself that Helen drew?
4. Where does Mr. Markham go at the end of Chapter 11?
5. In Chapter 18, why does Helen's uncle invite men to visit him in the fall?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what gossip does Eliza share?
2. How does Mrs. Graham try to explain her relationship with Mr. Lawrence to Mr. Markham?
3. In Chapter 1, what is Mr. Markham's living arrangement?
4. How does Helen finally escape Mr. Huntingdon?
5. In Chapter 22, what do Helen and Mr. Huntingdon say about Annabella and Lord Lowborough?
6. How does Mr. Markham reveal who he is writing his letter to?
7. In Chapter 21, how do Mr. Huntingdon's friends react to his engagement to Helen?
8. In Chapter 6, what does Mr. Markham talk to Mr. Lawrence about?
9. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon accuses Helen of having an affair with Mr. Hargrave?
10. When the Lowboroughs come to visit at Grassdale, how does Mr. Huntingdon embarrass Helen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is childhood defined in this novel? What role do children play?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use foreshadowing in this novel? How is it effective? How is it ineffective?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of discontent in "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall."
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)