|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Markham insist his visits and gifts are about in Chapter 8?
2. In Chapter 6, what does Mr. Markham ask Mr. Lawrence about?
3. What happens to Mr. Lawrence when Mr. Markham hits him in Chapter 14?
4. What types of paintings does Mr. Markham look through at Mrs. Graham's house in "Chapter Five"?
5. In Chapter 7, where does Mrs. Graham say she wants to visit in order to sketch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Markham disagree with Mr. Markham's relationship with Eliza?
2. Why does Helen's aunt disapprove of Mr. Huntingdon?
3. In Chapter 22, what do Helen and Mr. Huntingdon say about Annabella and Lord Lowborough?
4. What happens to Mr. Huntingdon after Helen gives birth to a son?
5. What happens during the trip to the shore in Chapter 7?
6. In Chapter 22, how does Mr. Huntingdon admit to being a bad influence on Lord Lowborough?
7. What happens when Helen and Mr. Huntingdon travel to London?
8. In Chapter 13, what bothers Mr. Markham about visiting Mr. Wilson?
9. Why does Mr. Markham visit Mrs. Graham in Chapter 10?
10. What happens when Mr. Markham gives Mrs. Graham a book in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Mr. Hargrave a protagonist or an antagonist? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Follow the development of Helen throughout the novel. What literary devices are used to develop and reveal her true character?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of infidelity in this novel?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)