|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Graham do when she sees Mr. Markham looking through her art in Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 22, how does Helen feel about what Mr. Huntingdon tells her about Lord Lowborough?
3. Why does Helen suggest that Lord Lowborough is marrying Annabella?
4. Why does Mr. Millward say he told Mrs. Graham about the rumors?
5. Why does Mr. Huntingdon send Helen home from London before himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helen convince her family to let her marry Mr. Huntingdon?
2. In Chapter 4, why does Mrs. Graham say she can't visit other families in town?
3. Why is Mr. Markham writing a letter to his friend?
4. In Chapter 22, how does Mr. Huntingdon admit to being a bad influence on Lord Lowborough?
5. Why does Mr. Markham visit Mrs. Graham in Chapter 10?
6. How does Helen react when Mr. Huntingdon finds a portrait she drew in Chapter 18?
7. How does Mr. Markham react to the gossip about Mrs. Graham in Chapter 9?
8. When the Lowboroughs come to visit at Grassdale, how does Mr. Huntingdon embarrass Helen?
9. How does Mrs. Graham try to explain her relationship with Mr. Lawrence to Mr. Markham?
10. What is Mr. Markham's first impression of Mrs. Graham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the use of literal vs. figurative deaths in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
What commentary on marriage does "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" provide? How is this institution developed? How is it at odds with society? How is it at odds with the individual? What purpose does marriage have?
Essay Topic 3
Is Mr. Hargrave a protagonist or an antagonist? Why?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)