|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Helen accept Mr. Huntingdon's proposal in Chapter 19?
2. In Chapter 24, why does Mr. Huntingdon plan a trip to London?
3. Where does Mrs. Graham entertain Mr. Markham and Rose when they visit in Chapter 5?
4. What does Mrs. Graham say about her relationship with Mr. Markham in Chapter 8?
5. In Chapter 10, what does Mr. Millward seem to think about the rumors about Mrs. Graham?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 21, how do Mr. Huntingdon's friends react to his engagement to Helen?
2. In Chapter 12, what does Mr. Markham tell Mrs. Graham about the rumors about her?
3. How does Mrs. Graham try to explain her relationship with Mr. Lawrence to Mr. Markham?
4. Why does Mr. Markham visit Mrs. Graham in Chapter 10?
5. What happens when Helen and Mr. Huntingdon travel to London?
6. When the Lowboroughs come to visit at Grassdale, how does Mr. Huntingdon embarrass Helen?
7. In Chapter 9, what gossip does Eliza share?
8. How does Mr. Markham treat Mr. Lawrence after he overhears him talking with Mrs. Graham about their affair?
9. How does Mr. Markham react to the gossip about Mrs. Graham in Chapter 9?
10. In Chapter 1, what is Mr. Markham's living arrangement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is childhood defined in this novel? What role do children play?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of morals and morality in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character analysis of Mr. Huntingdon. Consider his role in developing the plot, the other characters and the theme. What is Mr. Huntingdon's purpose in this novel?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)