|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what does Mrs. Markham warn Mr. Markham about?
2. What happens when Mr. Markham tries to help Mr. Lawrence in Chapter 14?
3. What types of paintings does Mr. Markham look through at Mrs. Graham's house in "Chapter Five"?
4. Why does Mrs. Graham give Mr. Markham her diary?
5. What stories does Mr. Huntingdon tell Helen in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 22, how does Mr. Huntingdon admit to being a bad influence on Lord Lowborough?
2. How does Helen react when Mr. Huntingdon finds a portrait she drew in Chapter 18?
3. Why is Mr. Markham writing a letter to his friend?
4. What happens when Mr. Markham gives Mrs. Graham a book in Chapter 8?
5. Why does Mrs. Markham disagree with Mr. Markham's relationship with Eliza?
6. What role does Helen's aunt play in her love life in Chapter 16?
7. In Chapter 4, why does Mrs. Graham say she can't visit other families in town?
8. Why does Helen's aunt disapprove of Mr. Huntingdon?
9. In Chapter 1, what is Mr. Markham's living arrangement?
10. How does Mrs. Graham try to explain her relationship with Mr. Lawrence to Mr. Markham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does gossip play in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does social class affect the characters in this novel? What message is delivered about social classes?
Essay Topic 3
What commentary on marriage does "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" provide? How is this institution developed? How is it at odds with society? How is it at odds with the individual? What purpose does marriage have?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)