|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 27, when does Mr. Huntingdon kiss Lady Lowborough's hand?
2. In Chapter 5, what part of the paintings at Mrs. Graham's house interest Mr. Markham?
3. Why does Mr. Huntingdon say Annabella is marrying Lord Lowborough?
4. In Chapter 2, why does the boy come to talk to Mr. Markham?
5. What does Mr. Markham tell Mrs. Graham when she is upset in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mr. Markham returns to Mrs. Graham's house in Chapter 12?
2. In Chapter 12, what does Mr. Markham tell Mrs. Graham about the rumors about her?
3. How does Helen react when Mr. Huntingdon finds a portrait she drew in Chapter 18?
4. In Chapter 18, what is the relationship between Mr. Huntingdon and Annabella?
5. In Chapter 9, what gossip does Eliza share?
6. What happens during the trip to the shore in Chapter 7?
7. What happens when Helen and Mr. Huntingdon travel to London?
8. When the Lowboroughs come to visit at Grassdale, how does Mr. Huntingdon embarrass Helen?
9. What role does Helen's aunt play in her love life in Chapter 16?
10. In Chapter 22, how does Mr. Huntingdon admit to being a bad influence on Lord Lowborough?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What difficulties are faced by women in this novel? What causes these difficulties? What commentary does the author provide on being a woman?
Essay Topic 2
What commentary on marriage does "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" provide? How is this institution developed? How is it at odds with society? How is it at odds with the individual? What purpose does marriage have?
Essay Topic 3
How does social class affect the characters in this novel? What message is delivered about social classes?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)