|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Helen accept Mr. Huntingdon's proposal in Chapter 19?
2. What does Mrs. Graham do when she sees Mr. Markham looking through her art in Chapter 5?
3. What fascinates Mr. Markham about Mrs. Graham the first time they meet?
4. Why does Mr. Markham visit Mr. Millward in Chapter 2?
5. How does Mr. Markham feel while visiting Mr. Wilson in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Markham treat Mr. Lawrence after he overhears him talking with Mrs. Graham about their affair?
2. In Chapter 22, what do Helen and Mr. Huntingdon say about Annabella and Lord Lowborough?
3. What role does Helen's aunt play in her love life in Chapter 16?
4. How does Helen react when Mr. Huntingdon finds a portrait she drew in Chapter 18?
5. What happens when Helen and Mr. Huntingdon travel to London?
6. How does Mr. Markham react to the gossip about Mrs. Graham in Chapter 9?
7. What happens during the trip to the shore in Chapter 7?
8. What happens to Mr. Huntingdon after Helen gives birth to a son?
9. In Chapter 21, how do Mr. Huntingdon's friends react to his engagement to Helen?
10. Why does Mr. Markham visit Mrs. Graham in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of infidelity in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the symbolism of roses in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Is Mr. Hargrave a protagonist or an antagonist? Why?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)