|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fergus ask Mrs. Graham about in Chapter 7?
2. Why does Mrs. Markham warn Mr. Markham about marrying Eliza?
3. Why does Mr. Millward say he told Mrs. Graham about the rumors?
4. What does Mrs. Graham say about her relationship with Mr. Markham in Chapter 8?
5. In Chapter 26, what embarrasses Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mr. Markham's first impression of Mrs. Graham?
2. How does Helen convince her family to let her marry Mr. Huntingdon?
3. In Chapter 22, how does Mr. Huntingdon admit to being a bad influence on Lord Lowborough?
4. In Chapter 12, what does Mr. Markham tell Mrs. Graham about the rumors about her?
5. How does Helen react when Mr. Huntingdon finds a portrait she drew in Chapter 18?
6. How does Mrs. Graham try to explain her relationship with Mr. Lawrence to Mr. Markham?
7. In Chapter 1, what is Mr. Markham's living arrangement?
8. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon tells Helen stories about his past after they are married?
9. When the Lowboroughs come to visit at Grassdale, how does Mr. Huntingdon embarrass Helen?
10. What role does Helen's aunt play in her love life in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does social class affect the characters in this novel? What message is delivered about social classes?
Essay Topic 2
What commentary on marriage does "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" provide? How is this institution developed? How is it at odds with society? How is it at odds with the individual? What purpose does marriage have?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character analysis of Mr. Huntingdon. Consider his role in developing the plot, the other characters and the theme. What is Mr. Huntingdon's purpose in this novel?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)