|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 32, why does Milicent want Helen to advise his sister on marriage?
(a) Because he doesn't want her to end up like Helen.
(b) Because she trusts Helen.
(c) Because he thinks Helen is kind.
(d) Because he wants her to be picky.
2. How does Mr. Huntingdon learn about his wife's plan to leave him?
(a) He reads her diary.
(b) He overhears her talking about it.
(c) Mr. Hargrave tells him.
(d) He finds her money.
3. Why does Mr. Hattersley try to hit Mr. Hargrave?
(a) Because he is drunk.
(b) Because he thinks he is someone else.
(c) For talking to his wife.
(d) For interfering with his argument.
4. What does Mr. Huntingdon ask Helen to help him do in Chapter 49?
(a) Redeem himself.
(b) Earn money.
(c) Fall in love.
(d) Stop drinking.
5. In Chapter 41, what does Helen do while her husband is in London?
(a) Gets her son to stop drinking alcohol.
(b) Buys train tickets.
(c) Starts painting again.
(d) Finds her hidden jewelry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen admit to doing in Chapter 30?
2. In Chapter 49, how does Mr. Markham learn about Helen?
3. In Chapter 48, what does Helen wish for Miss Hargrave?
4. In Chapter 43, what does Helen say she worries about most in regards to her son?
5. What does Mr. Markham do with his family farm in Chapter 80?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helen get her son to stop drinking alcohol?
2. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon returns home in Chapter 30?
3. In Chapter 33, what does Helen overhear?
4. In Chapter 47, what does Eliza announce?
5. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon accuses Helen of having an affair with Mr. Hargrave?
6. What does Mr. Markham say to Mr. Lawrence after reading Helen's diary?
7. In Chapter 46, what does Mr. Lawrence tell Mr. Markham about Helen?
8. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon hires a governess?
9. How does Helen protect her son when she returns to Mr. Huntingdon?
10. How does Mr. Hargrave react when he learns of Helen's plans to leave her husband?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)