|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 45, why does Helen say she can never see Mr. Markham again?
(a) Because she likes him too much.
(b) Because she dislikes him.
(c) Because of her wedding vows.
(d) Because he knows the truth.
2. In Chapter 42, what makes Helen believe she can stay in her marriage?
(a) The amount of time her husband is gone.
(b) Her husband's new attitude.
(c) Her son asks her to.
(d) Her husband quit drinking.
3. In Chapter 52, why does Mr. Markham visit Staningley?
(a) It is where Helen spends most of her time.
(b) He heard it was empty.
(c) Mr. Lawrence invites him.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Hargrave invite him.
4. When does Mr. Lawrence plan on visiting the Wilsons in Chapter 46?
(a) In the fall.
(b) For the summer.
(c) As soon as Mr. Markham leaves his house.
(d) When he feels better.
5. Who does Eliza marry?
(a) A preacher.
(b) An lawyer.
(c) A tradesman.
(d) A writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 29, why do the neighbors visit Helen?
2. At the end of Chapter 52, what does Mr. Markham decide to do?
3. In Chapter 41, what does Helen do while her husband is in London?
4. In Chapter 31, why does Lord Lowborough spend his nights walking?
5. Why is Mr. Hattersley in town in Chapter 42?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 51, how does Eliza mislead Mr. Markham?
2. How does Mr. Huntingdon use Arthur to upset Helen?
3. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon accuses Helen of having an affair with Mr. Hargrave?
4. In Chapter 33, what does Helen overhear?
5. Why doesn't Mr. Markham want Mr. Lawrence to go to the Wilsons?
6. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon returns home in Chapter 30?
7. In Chapter 31, what does Helen notice about Lord Lowborough?
8. In Chapter 37, how does Mr. Hargrave try to convince Helen to have an affair?
9. How does Mr. Markham reveal who he is writing his letter to?
10. How does Helen discover her husband's affair with Lady Lowborough?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)