|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 53, how does Mr. Markham finally see Helen?
(a) She invites him over.
(b) He invites her over.
(c) She finds him on the road.
(d) Arthur runs into Mr. Markham at the pub.
2. In Chapter 32, why does Milicent want Helen to advise his sister on marriage?
(a) Because he doesn't want her to end up like Helen.
(b) Because he wants her to be picky.
(c) Because he thinks Helen is kind.
(d) Because she trusts Helen.
3. After Mr. Huntingdon takes most of Helen's money and belongings, what does he leave her?
(b) A piano.
4. Why does Helen's aunt want her to live at Staningley?
(a) So she has someone to care for her.
(b) So she can avoid Grassdale.
(c) So the house won't be empty.
(d) So Mr. Markham will be far from the Wilsons.
5. In Chapter 47, what does Eliza say about Helen?
(a) She doesn't speak about Helen.
(b) That she reunited with her husband.
(c) That she is a liar.
(d) That her real name is Mrs. Hargrave.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Helen write to to have them prepare Wildfell Hall for her?
2. What does Helen admit stands in the way of her marrying Mr. Markham in Chapter 53?
3. In Chapter 46, why does Mr. Markham visit Mr. Lawrence?
4. Why does Mr. Markham only know a few things about Helen in Chapter 46?
5. What does Lord Lowborough do after learning about his wife's affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 37, how does Mr. Hargrave try to convince Helen to have an affair?
2. In Chapter 34, what happens when Helen confronts Lady Lowborough?
3. How does Helen explain her return to Mr. Huntingdon?
4. In Chapter 49, what does Mr. Lawrence do to answer Mr. Markham's questions?
5. In Chapter 50, what makes Mr. Markham anxious?
6. How does Helen get her son to stop drinking alcohol?
7. What does Mr. Markham say to Mr. Lawrence after reading Helen's diary?
8. In Chapter 47, what does Eliza announce?
9. In Chapter 46, what does Mr. Lawrence tell Mr. Markham about Helen?
10. In Chapter 31, what does Helen notice about Lord Lowborough?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)