|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 39, who does Helen confide in about her marital problems?
(b) Her vicor.
(c) Mr. Hargrave.
(d) Mr. Hattersley.
2. Why does Helen return to Mr. Huntingdon?
(a) Because he fell from a horse.
(b) Because she needed money.
(c) Because Arthur asked her to.
(d) Because he apologized.
3. Why does Helen's aunt want her to live at Staningley?
(a) So she has someone to care for her.
(b) So the house won't be empty.
(c) So she can avoid Grassdale.
(d) So Mr. Markham will be far from the Wilsons.
4. What does Helen admit to doing in Chapter 30?
(a) Drinking at night.
(b) Reading Mr. Huntingdon's mail.
(c) Laughing at her husband.
(d) Hiding from her marriage.
5. What does Mr. Markham do when he hears about Helen's wedding in Chapter 51?
(a) Rushes home.
(b) Takes a coach to Staningley.
(d) Runs to a telegram office.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 37, why does Helen turn down Mr. Hargrave's offer of an affair?
2. What does Mr. Huntingdon fear in Chapter 48?
3. In Chapter 42, what makes Helen believe she can stay in her marriage?
4. In Chapter 50, why does Helen spend most of her time at Staningley?
5. What does Mr. Huntingdon agree to let Helen do in Chapter 47?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Helen's letters, what happens to Mr. Huntingdon in Chapter 49?
2. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon accuses Helen of having an affair with Mr. Hargrave?
3. In Chapter 33, what does Helen overhear?
4. How does Mr. Hargrave try to win Helen's affections?
5. In Chapter 51, how does Eliza mislead Mr. Markham?
6. What does Mr. Markham finally say to Helen after her husband's death?
7. How does Helen finally escape Mr. Huntingdon?
8. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon hires a governess?
9. How does Helen get her son to stop drinking alcohol?
10. How does Mr. Huntingdon use Arthur to upset Helen?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)