|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 50, how long does Mr. Markham say he must wait before speaking to Helen?
(a) Three months.
(b) One month.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Six months.
2. In Chapter 34, what does Helen tell Lady Lowborough to do when she reveals the affair?
(a) To stop the affair.
(b) To tell her husband.
(c) To stop being polite.
(d) To go back home.
3. In Chapter 42, how does Helen convince Mr. Hattersley that he is right to change his ways?
(a) She shows him letters from his wife.
(b) She reads from the Bible.
(c) She agrees with everything he says.
(d) She has him talk to her husband.
4. How does Mr. Lawrence feel about asking Helen to allow Mr. Markham to tell her story to others?
(a) He isn't sure about it.
(b) He disagrees fully.
(c) He is excited for her.
(d) He laughs at Mr. Markham.
5. Why does Mr. Huntingdon accuse Helen of having an affair?
(a) Because she was talking to Mr. Hargrave.
(b) Because he was drinking.
(c) Because she started painting again.
(d) Because he read her mail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Markham only know a few things about Helen in Chapter 46?
2. In Chapter 49, how does Mr. Markham learn about Helen?
3. In Chapter 32, how does Mr. Hattersley upset his wife?
4. In Chapter 43, who does Mr. Huntingdon hire?
5. How does Mr. Markham learn that Helen returns to Mr. Huntingdon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Hargrave try to win Helen's affections?
2. How does Helen discover her husband's affair with Lady Lowborough?
3. According to Helen's letters, what happens to Mr. Huntingdon in Chapter 49?
4. Why doesn't Mr. Markham want Mr. Lawrence to go to the Wilsons?
5. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon returns home in Chapter 30?
6. What does Mr. Markham say to Helen after reading her diary?
7. How does Mr. Hargrave react when he learns of Helen's plans to leave her husband?
8. In Chapter 47, what does Eliza announce?
9. In Chapter 33, what does Helen overhear?
10. In Chapter 31, what does Helen notice about Lord Lowborough?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)