|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Helen's aunt want her to live at Staningley?
(a) So the house won't be empty.
(b) So she has someone to care for her.
(c) So she can avoid Grassdale.
(d) So Mr. Markham will be far from the Wilsons.
2. Why does Richard Wilson become the vicar?
(a) Because he moved to a new town.
(b) Because he trained for the position.
(c) Because Mr. Millward died.
(d) Because a new church was built.
3. What does Mr. Huntingdon fear in Chapter 48?
(a) Losing his son.
(b) Losing his wife.
(c) Going broke.
4. In Chapter 46, why does Mr. Markham visit Mr. Lawrence?
(a) To know how Helen is.
(b) Because Mr. Lawrence invites him.
(c) To stay entertained.
(d) To be polite.
5. In Chapter 42, how does Helen convince Mr. Hattersley that he is right to change his ways?
(a) She has him talk to her husband.
(b) She agrees with everything he says.
(c) She reads from the Bible.
(d) She shows him letters from his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frederick say about Helen staying at Wildfell Hall in Chapter 41?
2. What does Mr. Huntingdon agree to let Helen do in Chapter 47?
3. What does Lord Lowborough do after learning about his wife's affair?
4. Which Lowborough child does Mr. Markham believe is Mr. Huntingdon's?
5. In Chapter 32, how does Mr. Hattersley upset his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helen finally escape Mr. Huntingdon?
2. In Chapter 34, what happens when Helen confronts Lady Lowborough?
3. In Chapter 33, what does Helen overhear?
4. How does Helen explain her return to Mr. Huntingdon?
5. In Chapter 49, what does Mr. Lawrence do to answer Mr. Markham's questions?
6. Why doesn't Mr. Markham want Mr. Lawrence to go to the Wilsons?
7. How does Helen discover her husband's affair with Lady Lowborough?
8. In Chapter 31, what bothers Helen about Lady Lowborough when she visits to hunt?
9. How does Helen protect her son when she returns to Mr. Huntingdon?
10. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon hires a governess?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)