|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, why does the boy come to talk to Mr. Markham?
(a) Because he needs help.
(b) Because Mr. Markham called him over.
(c) Because his mother sent him.
(d) Because of his dog.
2. In Chapter 25, how long do the Huntingdons spend in London?
(a) One week.
(b) One month.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two months.
3. What happens when Mr. Markham tries to help Mr. Lawrence in Chapter 14?
(a) He hits him again.
(b) He refuses the help.
(c) He thanks him.
(d) He walks away.
4. In Chapter 10, what does Mr. Millward seem to think about the rumors about Mrs. Graham?
(a) That they are funny.
(b) That they are false.
(c) That they are true.
(d) That they are hurting him, too.
5. Where does Helen make a small sketch of Mr. Huntingdon?
(a) On a napkin.
(b) On the back of another drawing.
(c) In the corner of a still-life.
(d) In her diary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Markham say he inherited from his father?
2. How does Mr. Markham learn that Mrs. Graham moved in next door?
3. What do Mrs. Markham and Mrs. Graham argue about during their visit in Chapter 3?
4. In Chapter 7, how many people does Mr. Markham go with to visit Mrs. Graham?
5. In Chapter 5, what part of the paintings at Mrs. Graham's house interest Mr. Markham?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Hargrave try to win Helen's affections?
2. In Chapter 22, how does Mr. Huntingdon admit to being a bad influence on Lord Lowborough?
3. How does Mrs. Graham try to explain her relationship with Mr. Lawrence to Mr. Markham?
4. How does Helen convince her family to let her marry Mr. Huntingdon?
5. In Chapter 49, what does Mr. Lawrence do to answer Mr. Markham's questions?
6. In Chapter 46, what does Mr. Lawrence tell Mr. Markham about Helen?
7. How does Helen finally escape Mr. Huntingdon?
8. What happens when Mr. Markham gives Mrs. Graham a book in Chapter 8?
9. In Chapter 39, how does Helen make plans to leave her husband?
10. What do Mrs. Graham and Mrs. Markham argue about in Chapter 4?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)