|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Markham warn Mr. Markham about marrying Eliza?
(a) Because of her father.
(b) Because he's too young.
(c) Because she is poor.
(d) Because she won't treat him well.
2. Why doesn't Helen accept Mr. Huntingdon's proposal in Chapter 19?
(a) Because she wants her uncle's approval.
(b) Because she is mad at him.
(c) Because she loves someone else.
(d) Because of Annabella's love for him.
3. Why does Mr. Huntingdon say Annabella is marrying Lord Lowborough?
(a) For his land.
(b) For his good looks.
(c) For his money.
(d) For his title.
4. In Chapter 12, why does Mr. Markham begin to believe the rumors about Mrs. Graham and Mr. Lawrence?
(a) He overhears their conversation.
(b) He starts to distrust Mrs. Graham.
(c) Mr. Lawrence writes him a letter.
(d) Rose confirms the rumor.
5. What types of paintings does Mr. Markham look through at Mrs. Graham's house in "Chapter Five"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Graham react when Mr. Markham appears in Chapter 6?
2. How does Helen feel when Mr. Huntingdon finds the portrait of himself?
3. In Chapter 22, how does Helen feel about what Mr. Huntingdon tells her about Lord Lowborough?
4. In Chapter 10, what does Mr. Millward seem to think about the rumors about Mrs. Graham?
5. What does Mrs. Graham refuse in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Markham writing a letter to his friend?
2. In Chapter 18, what is the relationship between Mr. Huntingdon and Annabella?
3. In Chapter 22, what do Helen and Mr. Huntingdon say about Annabella and Lord Lowborough?
4. In Chapter 6, what does Mr. Markham talk to Mr. Lawrence about?
5. What happens when Mr. Markham returns to Mrs. Graham's house in Chapter 12?
6. What is Mr. Markham's first impression of Mrs. Graham?
7. Why does Mrs. Graham organize a trip to the shore in Chapter 7?
8. How does Mr. Markham treat Mr. Lawrence after he overhears him talking with Mrs. Graham about their affair?
9. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon tells Helen stories about his past after they are married?
10. What role does Helen's aunt play in her love life in Chapter 16?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)