|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Helen burn some of her drawings in Chapter 18?
(a) Because her aunt tells her to.
(b) Because she is embarrassed.
(c) Because she doesn't like the work.
(d) Because Mr. Huntingdon makes fun of them.
2. In Chapter 12, why does Mr. Markham begin to believe the rumors about Mrs. Graham and Mr. Lawrence?
(a) Rose confirms the rumor.
(b) Mr. Lawrence writes him a letter.
(c) He overhears their conversation.
(d) He starts to distrust Mrs. Graham.
3. How does Mr. Markham learn that Mrs. Graham moved in next door?
(a) From his sister.
(b) He sees her himself.
(c) From his friend.
(d) From his mother.
4. Why does Mr. Markham give Mrs. Graham's son a collar for his dog?
(a) Mrs. Graham asks him to.
(b) Because he found one that belonged to his sister.
(c) So he can visit the Grahams.
(d) As a birthday present.
5. In Chapter 2, why does the boy come to talk to Mr. Markham?
(a) Because he needs help.
(b) Because his mother sent him.
(c) Because of his dog.
(d) Because Mr. Markham called him over.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 22, how does Helen feel about what Mr. Huntingdon tells her about Lord Lowborough?
2. What upsets Helen about her wedding vacation?
3. What types of paintings does Mr. Markham look through at Mrs. Graham's house in "Chapter Five"?
4. How does Mr. Huntingdon react after kissing Lady Lowborough's hand?
5. In Chapter 23, what does Mr. Huntingdon tell Helen while walking home from church?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what gossip does Eliza share?
2. Why does Mr. Markham visit Mrs. Graham in Chapter 10?
3. What happens during the trip to the shore in Chapter 7?
4. Why does Mrs. Markham disagree with Mr. Markham's relationship with Eliza?
5. How does Helen react when Mr. Huntingdon finds a portrait she drew in Chapter 18?
6. In Chapter 21, how do Mr. Huntingdon's friends react to his engagement to Helen?
7. In Chapter 22, how does Mr. Huntingdon admit to being a bad influence on Lord Lowborough?
8. How does Mrs. Graham try to explain her relationship with Mr. Lawrence to Mr. Markham?
9. What happens when Mr. Huntingdon tells Helen stories about his past after they are married?
10. What do Mrs. Graham and Mrs. Markham argue about in Chapter 4?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)