|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 39, who does Helen confide in about her marital problems?
(a) Mr. Hargrave.
(b) Her vicor.
(c) Mr. Hattersley.
2. When do Helen and Mr. Markham agree to be married?
(a) In the spring.
(b) In the fall.
(c) In the winter.
(d) In the summer.
3. In Chapter 48, how does Helen describe her husband?
4. Why does Helen return to Mr. Huntingdon?
(a) Because she needed money.
(b) Because Arthur asked her to.
(c) Because he apologized.
(d) Because he fell from a horse.
5. What does Helen do when Lady Lowborough shows up to hunt in Chapter 38?
(a) She sends her home.
(b) She greets her kindly.
(c) She ignores her.
(d) She threatens her.
6. In Chapter 50, why does Helen spend most of her time at Staningley?
(a) Because she is vacationing.
(b) Because Mr. Huntingdon asked her to.
(c) Because of her uncle's death.
(d) Because of her exhaustion.
7. In Chapter 36, what happens when Helen asks about Mr. Huntingdon's health?
(a) He breaks down crying.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He hugs her.
(d) He is rude to her.
8. How does Mr. Walter Hargrave try to win over Helen?
(a) By making fun of her husband.
(b) By bringing her presents.
(c) By complimenting her house.
(d) By playing with her son.
9. What does Mr. Huntingdon agree to let Helen do in Chapter 47?
(a) Take Arthur away.
(b) Live in the house.
(c) Earn her own money.
(d) Travel freely.
10. What does Mr. Huntingdon ask Helen to help him do in Chapter 49?
(a) Earn money.
(b) Fall in love.
(c) Stop drinking.
(d) Redeem himself.
11. In Chapter 43, who does Mr. Huntingdon hire?
(a) A cook.
(b) A butler.
(c) A governess.
(d) A maid.
12. In Chapter 37, why does Helen turn down Mr. Hargrave's offer of an affair?
(a) Because she dislikes him.
(b) Because she still loves her husband.
(c) Because she wants to protect her son.
(d) Because she is legally married.
13. In Chapter 46, why does Mr. Markham visit Mr. Lawrence?
(a) To stay entertained.
(b) To know how Helen is.
(c) To be polite.
(d) Because Mr. Lawrence invites him.
14. Why does Mr. Markham only know a few things about Helen in Chapter 46?
(a) She stopped keeping a diary.
(b) Mr. Lawrence doesn't talk about her.
(c) Mr. Markham had been sick.
(d) Helen revealed she had been lying.
15. In Chapter 30, where does Helen go for the fall?
(a) To her aunt's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Markham do when he hears about Helen's wedding in Chapter 51?
2. How does Helen learn about her husband stopping drinking in Chapter 33?
3. In Chapter 49, how does Mr. Markham learn about Helen?
4. In Chapter 43, what does Helen say she worries about most in regards to her son?
5. What does Mr. Huntingdon do when Helen visits her sick brother?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)