|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 29, why do the neighbors visit Helen?
(a) Because they need help marrying off a daughter.
(b) Because they are being polite.
(c) Because Mr. Huntingdon is out of town.
(d) Because Helen invites them.
2. Why does Helen return to Mr. Huntingdon?
(a) Because he fell from a horse.
(b) Because Arthur asked her to.
(c) Because he apologized.
(d) Because she needed money.
3. After reading Helen's diary, how does Mr. Markham feel?
4. In Chapter 39, what worries Helen about her son?
(a) He is no longer doing his lessons.
(b) He swears at her.
(c) He has been drinking with his father.
(d) He dresses like a pauper.
5. In Chapter 43, who does Mr. Huntingdon hire?
(a) A governess.
(b) A butler.
(c) A maid.
(d) A cook.
6. Who tells Helen about Mr. Huntingdon and Lady Lowborough's relationship?
(b) Lady Lowborough.
(c) Mr. Hargrave.
(d) Lord Lowborough.
7. In Chapter 30, where does Mr. Huntingdon go for the fall?
8. What does Lord Lowborough do after learning about his wife's affair?
(a) He returns home.
(b) He argues with Helen.
(c) He has a fight with Mr. Huntingdon.
(d) He goes to London alone.
9. How does Mr. Huntingdon learn about his wife's plan to leave him?
(a) He finds her money.
(b) He overhears her talking about it.
(c) He reads her diary.
(d) Mr. Hargrave tells him.
10. After Mr. Huntingdon takes most of Helen's money and belongings, what does he leave her?
(b) A piano.
11. Why doesn't Mr. Mark want Mr. Lawrence visiting with the Wilsons?
(a) Because they dislike Mr. Lawrence.
(b) Because of the gossip they spread.
(c) Because of their fallen reputation.
(d) Because they dislike Mr. Markham.
12. What does Mr. Huntingdon refuse to do when Helen asks him about his lying in "Chapter 30"?
(a) Talk to her.
(b) Travel with her.
(c) Stop lying.
13. In Chapter 30, what does Mr. Huntingdon do after arguing with Helen?
(a) He drinks.
(b) He leaves town.
(c) He slaps her.
(d) He writes to his uncle.
14. In Chapter 31, why does Lord Lowborough spend his nights walking?
(a) Because he likes the quiet.
(b) Because Lady Lowborough insists upon it.
(c) Because it's good for his health.
(d) Because he doesn't drink.
15. What does Mr. Huntingdon fear in Chapter 48?
(b) Losing his son.
(c) Going broke.
(d) Losing his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 50, why does Helen spend most of her time at Staningley?
2. What does Helen do when Mr. Hargrave offers her protection in Chapter 39?
3. Why does Mr. Markham only know a few things about Helen in Chapter 46?
4. What does Mr. Markham do when he hears about Helen's wedding in Chapter 51?
5. In Chapter 53, how does Mr. Markham finally see Helen?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)