|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 42, how does Helen convince Mr. Hattersley that he is right to change his ways?
(a) She reads from the Bible.
(b) She shows him letters from his wife.
(c) She has him talk to her husband.
(d) She agrees with everything he says.
2. Where does Helen want to go with her son in Chapter 39?
(a) The United States.
(d) European continent.
3. In Chapter 39, what worries Helen about her son?
(a) He has been drinking with his father.
(b) He dresses like a pauper.
(c) He is no longer doing his lessons.
(d) He swears at her.
4. In Chapter 42, what makes Helen believe she can stay in her marriage?
(a) Her son asks her to.
(b) The amount of time her husband is gone.
(c) Her husband's new attitude.
(d) Her husband quit drinking.
5. Why does Mr. Markham only know a few things about Helen in Chapter 46?
(a) She stopped keeping a diary.
(b) Helen revealed she had been lying.
(c) Mr. Lawrence doesn't talk about her.
(d) Mr. Markham had been sick.
6. What does Helen do when Lady Lowborough shows up to hunt in Chapter 38?
(a) She ignores her.
(b) She threatens her.
(c) She greets her kindly.
(d) She sends her home.
7. Who tells Helen about Mr. Huntingdon and Lady Lowborough's relationship?
(b) Lady Lowborough.
(c) Lord Lowborough.
(d) Mr. Hargrave.
8. After Mr. Huntingdon takes most of Helen's money and belongings, what does he leave her?
(a) A piano.
9. Why does Mr. Markham want to tell his family the truth about Helen?
(a) To prove his love.
(b) To be able to propose to her.
(c) To be honest.
(d) To clear her name.
10. How does Helen learn about her husband stopping drinking in Chapter 33?
(a) She overhears a conversation.
(b) She observes it herself.
(c) Mr. Hattersley tells her.
(d) He tells her.
11. In Chapter 36, what happens when Helen asks about Mr. Huntingdon's health?
(a) He hugs her.
(b) He breaks down crying.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He is rude to her.
12. In Chapter 43, what does Helen say she worries about most in regards to her son?
(a) His morality.
(b) His safety.
(c) His faith.
(d) His future.
13. How does Helen sneak away from home to leave for Wildfell Hall?
(a) She gets her husband drunk.
(b) She waits until her husband is out of town.
(c) She leaves early in the morning.
(d) She goes in the middle of the night.
14. In Chapter 51, who tells Mr. Markham they heard that Helen is getting married?
(b) Mr. Hattersley.
(c) Mr. Lawrence.
15. What does Helen admit stands in the way of her marrying Mr. Markham in Chapter 53?
(a) Her religion.
(b) Her brother.
(c) His money.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lord Lowborough act when he finds out about his wife's affair?
2. In Chapter 31, why does Lord Lowborough spend his nights walking?
3. Why does Helen's aunt want her to live at Staningley?
4. Who does Mr. Huntingdon question when he realizes Helen is gone?
5. In Chapter 35, when does Helen find Lady Lowborough awaiting Mr. Huntingdon?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)