|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Helen and Mr. Markham agree to be married?
(a) In the winter.
(b) In the fall.
(c) In the spring.
(d) In the summer.
2. In Chapter 39, why does Helen begin to paint again?
(a) To earn money.
(b) To teach her son.
(c) To decorate her house.
(d) To escape her life.
3. After Mr. Huntingdon takes most of Helen's money and belongings, what does he leave her?
(d) A piano.
4. In Chapter 29, why do the neighbors visit Helen?
(a) Because Helen invites them.
(b) Because Mr. Huntingdon is out of town.
(c) Because they are being polite.
(d) Because they need help marrying off a daughter.
5. How does Mr. Huntingdon learn about his wife's plan to leave him?
(a) He finds her money.
(b) He reads her diary.
(c) He overhears her talking about it.
(d) Mr. Hargrave tells him.
6. How does Mr. Walter Hargrave try to win over Helen?
(a) By bringing her presents.
(b) By making fun of her husband.
(c) By complimenting her house.
(d) By playing with her son.
7. Why does Mr. Hargrave offer Helen protection in Chapter 39?
(a) So she can still have an inheritance.
(b) So she won't have to worry about Lady Lowborough.
(c) So she can leave her husband.
(d) So her son will be educated.
8. In Chapter 30, why doesn't Helen talk to Mr. Huntingdon about his lying?
(a) Because she falls asleep.
(b) Because he is angry.
(c) Because he is ill.
(d) Because she is afraid.
9. What does Mr. Huntingdon refuse to do when Helen asks him about his lying in "Chapter 30"?
(b) Talk to her.
(c) Travel with her.
(d) Stop lying.
10. How does Mr. Huntingdon use Arthur to upset Helen in Chapter 36?
(a) He dresses him in terrible clothing.
(b) He yells at him to make the boy upset.
(c) He teaches him to ignore his mother.
(d) He sends him away on vacation.
11. When Lord Lowborough finds out about his wife's affair, what does his friend suggest?
(a) A dual.
(c) That the leave immediately.
12. In Chapter 36, what happens when Helen asks about Mr. Huntingdon's health?
(a) He breaks down crying.
(b) He hugs her.
(c) He is rude to her.
(d) He ignores her.
13. After reading Helen's diary, how does Mr. Markham feel?
14. In Chapter 45, why does Helen say she can never see Mr. Markham again?
(a) Because she likes him too much.
(b) Because of her wedding vows.
(c) Because he knows the truth.
(d) Because she dislikes him.
15. When Helen first arrives at Wildfell Hall, what does she note there isn't a lot of?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 35, what favor does Lady Lowborough ask of Helen?
2. How does Mr. Lawrence feel about asking Helen to allow Mr. Markham to tell her story to others?
3. In Chapter 34, what does Helen tell Lady Lowborough to do when she reveals the affair?
4. In Chapter 33, who tries to tell Helen that her husband is being inappropriate?
5. Where does Helen want to go with her son in Chapter 39?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)