|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 36, what happens when Helen asks about Mr. Huntingdon's health?
(a) He is rude to her.
(b) He hugs her.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He breaks down crying.
2. What does Helen admit to doing in Chapter 30?
(a) Hiding from her marriage.
(b) Drinking at night.
(c) Laughing at her husband.
(d) Reading Mr. Huntingdon's mail.
3. After Mr. Huntingdon takes most of Helen's money and belongings, what does he leave her?
(a) A piano.
4. What does Mr. Markham do after reading Helen's diary?
(a) Meets with her brother.
(b) Takes back his confession of love.
(c) Promises to keep her safe.
(d) Apologizes to her.
5. In Chapter 34, what does Helen tell Lady Lowborough to do when she reveals the affair?
(a) To go back home.
(b) To stop being polite.
(c) To stop the affair.
(d) To tell her husband.
6. When Lord Lowborough finds out about his wife's affair, what does his friend suggest?
(a) That the leave immediately.
(c) A dual.
7. What does Mr. Huntingdon ask Helen to help him do in Chapter 49?
(a) Stop drinking.
(b) Redeem himself.
(c) Earn money.
(d) Fall in love.
8. How does Mr. Markham believe Mr. Lawrence reacts to his advice about the Wilsons?
(a) He isn't sure.
(b) He knows Mr. Lawrence believes him.
(c) He feels ignored.
(d) He gets laughted at.
9. In Chapter 33, who tries to tell Helen that her husband is being inappropriate?
(a) No one.
(d) Mr. Hattersley.
10. In Chapter 31, why does Lord Lowborough spend his nights walking?
(a) Because he likes the quiet.
(b) Because Lady Lowborough insists upon it.
(c) Because it's good for his health.
(d) Because he doesn't drink.
11. In Chapter 43, who does Mr. Huntingdon hire?
(a) A cook.
(b) A governess.
(c) A maid.
(d) A butler.
12. In Chapter 29, why do the neighbors visit Helen?
(a) Because Mr. Huntingdon is out of town.
(b) Because they are being polite.
(c) Because Helen invites them.
(d) Because they need help marrying off a daughter.
13. Why does Jane Wilson move to the city?
(a) To avoid her brother.
(b) To travel.
(c) To work.
(d) To write a novel.
14. Why does Richard Wilson become the vicar?
(a) Because a new church was built.
(b) Because he trained for the position.
(c) Because he moved to a new town.
(d) Because Mr. Millward died.
15. In Chapter 33, why do Mr. Huntingdon's friends say he stopped drinking?
(a) To save money.
(b) For his health.
(c) To prove a point.
(d) For love.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Markham learn that Helen returns to Mr. Huntingdon?
2. In Chapter 52, why does Mr. Markham visit Staningley?
3. How does Mr. Lawrence feel about asking Helen to allow Mr. Markham to tell her story to others?
4. What does Mr. Markham do when he hears about Helen's wedding in Chapter 51?
5. In Chapter 43, what does Helen say she worries about most in regards to her son?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)