|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Walter Hargrave try to win over Helen?
(a) By complimenting her house.
(b) By making fun of her husband.
(c) By playing with her son.
(d) By bringing her presents.
2. In Chapter 53, how does Mr. Markham finally see Helen?
(a) She invites him over.
(b) Arthur runs into Mr. Markham at the pub.
(c) She finds him on the road.
(d) He invites her over.
3. What does Helen do when Mr. Hargrave offers her protection in Chapter 39?
(a) She ignores him.
(b) She accepts it.
(c) She says she will talk to him about it later.
(d) She turns it down.
4. In Chapter 30, what does Mr. Huntingdon do after arguing with Helen?
(a) He drinks.
(b) He slaps her.
(c) He leaves town.
(d) He writes to his uncle.
5. In Chapter 32, why does Milicent want Helen to advise his sister on marriage?
(a) Because he thinks Helen is kind.
(b) Because he doesn't want her to end up like Helen.
(c) Because he wants her to be picky.
(d) Because she trusts Helen.
6. What does Mr. Markham do after reading Helen's diary?
(a) Meets with her brother.
(b) Promises to keep her safe.
(c) Takes back his confession of love.
(d) Apologizes to her.
7. How does Mr. Markham believe Mr. Lawrence reacts to his advice about the Wilsons?
(a) He knows Mr. Lawrence believes him.
(b) He feels ignored.
(c) He isn't sure.
(d) He gets laughted at.
8. In Chapter 52, why does Mr. Markham visit Staningley?
(a) He heard it was empty.
(b) Mr. Lawrence invites him.
(c) It is where Helen spends most of her time.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Hargrave invite him.
9. What does Frederick say about Helen staying at Wildfell Hall in Chapter 41?
(a) That she will be much happier.
(b) That she will need to clean the place.
(c) That he doesn't want her there.
(d) That she should try to make her marriage work first.
10. After Mr. Huntingdon takes most of Helen's money and belongings, what does he leave her?
(b) A piano.
11. In Chapter 39, who does Helen confide in about her marital problems?
(b) Mr. Hargrave.
(c) Mr. Hattersley.
(d) Her vicor.
12. What does Mr. Markham do with his family farm in Chapter 80?
(a) Gives it to Arthur.
(b) Gives it to his brother.
(c) Sells it.
(d) Gives it to Helen's aunt.
13. In Chapter 30, where does Mr. Huntingdon go for the fall?
14. In Chapter 47, what does Eliza say about Helen?
(a) That she is a liar.
(b) She doesn't speak about Helen.
(c) That she reunited with her husband.
(d) That her real name is Mrs. Hargrave.
15. In Chapter 39, what worries Helen about her son?
(a) He swears at her.
(b) He has been drinking with his father.
(c) He is no longer doing his lessons.
(d) He dresses like a pauper.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 30, why doesn't Helen talk to Mr. Huntingdon about his lying?
2. Why does Helen's aunt want her to live at Staningley?
3. Why does Mr. Hargrave offer Helen protection in Chapter 39?
4. When Lord Lowborough finds out about his wife's affair, what does his friend suggest?
5. What does Helen have Mr. Huntingdon do before seeing his son in Chapter 47?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)