|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lord Lowborough act when he finds out about his wife's affair?
(a) He is content.
(b) He is relieved.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is sad.
2. In Chapter 53, how does Mr. Markham finally see Helen?
(a) Arthur runs into Mr. Markham at the pub.
(b) He invites her over.
(c) She invites him over.
(d) She finds him on the road.
3. Why does Mr. Huntingdon accuse Helen of having an affair?
(a) Because she was talking to Mr. Hargrave.
(b) Because he was drinking.
(c) Because she started painting again.
(d) Because he read her mail.
4. What does Frederick say about Helen staying at Wildfell Hall in Chapter 41?
(a) That she will be much happier.
(b) That she will need to clean the place.
(c) That she should try to make her marriage work first.
(d) That he doesn't want her there.
5. In Chapter 30, where does Helen go for the fall?
(a) To her aunt's.
6. In Chapter 42, how does Helen convince Mr. Hattersley that he is right to change his ways?
(a) She reads from the Bible.
(b) She shows him letters from his wife.
(c) She has him talk to her husband.
(d) She agrees with everything he says.
7. In Chapter 30, where does Mr. Huntingdon go for the fall?
8. In Chapter 52, what worries Mr. Markham about Helen's uncle's death?
(a) She may decide to stay unmarried.
(b) She is now wealthier than he is.
(c) Helen was very close with her uncle.
(d) Her uncle wanted her to move to the Americas.
9. In Chapter 32, why does Milicent want Helen to advise his sister on marriage?
(a) Because he wants her to be picky.
(b) Because she trusts Helen.
(c) Because he thinks Helen is kind.
(d) Because he doesn't want her to end up like Helen.
10. In Chapter 39, what worries Helen about her son?
(a) He swears at her.
(b) He is no longer doing his lessons.
(c) He has been drinking with his father.
(d) He dresses like a pauper.
11. What does Helen do when Lady Lowborough shows up to hunt in Chapter 38?
(a) She greets her kindly.
(b) She sends her home.
(c) She ignores her.
(d) She threatens her.
12. Why does Helen return to Mr. Huntingdon?
(a) Because Arthur asked her to.
(b) Because he fell from a horse.
(c) Because she needed money.
(d) Because he apologized.
13. What does Mr. Markham do after reading Helen's diary?
(a) Takes back his confession of love.
(b) Promises to keep her safe.
(c) Meets with her brother.
(d) Apologizes to her.
14. In Chapter 32, how does Mr. Hattersley upset his wife?
(a) By talking about another woman.
(b) By teasing her.
(c) By getting into an argument.
(d) By drinking too much.
15. Why does Mr. Markham only know a few things about Helen in Chapter 46?
(a) Helen revealed she had been lying.
(b) Mr. Markham had been sick.
(c) She stopped keeping a diary.
(d) Mr. Lawrence doesn't talk about her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Huntingdon learn about his wife's plan to leave him?
2. In Chapter 50, how long does Mr. Markham say he must wait before speaking to Helen?
3. In Chapter 31, why does Lord Lowborough spend his nights walking?
4. How does Mr. Walter Hargrave try to win over Helen?
5. When Lady Lowborough visits in Chapter 31, how does Helen feel about her?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)