|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 30, why doesn't Helen talk to Mr. Huntingdon about his lying?
(a) Because she falls asleep.
(b) Because he is angry.
(c) Because she is afraid.
(d) Because he is ill.
2. How does Mr. Markham learn that Helen returns to Mr. Huntingdon?
(a) In a letter from Helen.
(b) From Eliza's sister.
(c) In a letter from Mr. Huntingdon.
(d) In a letter to Mr. Lawrence.
3. Why does Mr. Hattersley try to hit Mr. Hargrave?
(a) For talking to his wife.
(b) Because he thinks he is someone else.
(c) Because he is drunk.
(d) For interfering with his argument.
4. Who does Helen write to to have them prepare Wildfell Hall for her?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her sister.
5. In Chapter 49, how does Mr. Markham learn about Helen?
(a) From a telegram from Mr. Huntingdon.
(b) From her letters to her brother.
(c) From letters to him.
(d) From her brother.
6. In Chapter 43, who does Mr. Huntingdon hire?
(a) A cook.
(b) A governess.
(c) A maid.
(d) A butler.
7. In Chapter 47, what does Eliza say about Helen?
(a) That she is a liar.
(b) That she reunited with her husband.
(c) That her real name is Mrs. Hargrave.
(d) She doesn't speak about Helen.
8. In Chapter 31, why does Lord Lowborough spend his nights walking?
(a) Because he doesn't drink.
(b) Because Lady Lowborough insists upon it.
(c) Because he likes the quiet.
(d) Because it's good for his health.
9. When Helen first arrives at Wildfell Hall, what does she note there isn't a lot of?
10. What does Helen do when Mr. Hargrave offers her protection in Chapter 39?
(a) She turns it down.
(b) She says she will talk to him about it later.
(c) She ignores him.
(d) She accepts it.
11. Why does Mr. Markham want to tell his family the truth about Helen?
(a) To prove his love.
(b) To be honest.
(c) To clear her name.
(d) To be able to propose to her.
12. In Chapter 50, where does Helen go after Staningley?
(a) To visit the Hattersley.
(b) Mr. Markham isn't sure.
(c) The shore.
(d) To the continent.
13. In Chapter 30, where does Helen go for the fall?
(c) To her aunt's.
14. In Chapter 46, why does Mr. Markham visit Mr. Lawrence?
(a) To be polite.
(b) To know how Helen is.
(c) To stay entertained.
(d) Because Mr. Lawrence invites him.
15. In Chapter 45, why does Helen say she can never see Mr. Markham again?
(a) Because she dislikes him.
(b) Because of her wedding vows.
(c) Because she likes him too much.
(d) Because he knows the truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Mr. Lawrence plan on visiting the Wilsons in Chapter 46?
2. How does Helen learn about her husband stopping drinking in Chapter 33?
3. In Chapter 35, what favor does Lady Lowborough ask of Helen?
4. What does Frederick say about Helen staying at Wildfell Hall in Chapter 41?
5. At the end of Chapter 52, what does Mr. Markham decide to do?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)