|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 42, how does Helen convince Mr. Hattersley that he is right to change his ways?
(a) She has him talk to her husband.
(b) She shows him letters from his wife.
(c) She reads from the Bible.
(d) She agrees with everything he says.
2. What does Lord Lowborough do after learning about his wife's affair?
(a) He returns home.
(b) He has a fight with Mr. Huntingdon.
(c) He goes to London alone.
(d) He argues with Helen.
3. What does Mr. Huntingdon do when Helen visits her sick brother?
(a) Leaves for London.
(c) Reads her diary.
(d) Throws a party.
4. Who tells Helen about Mr. Huntingdon and Lady Lowborough's relationship?
(a) Mr. Hargrave.
(b) Lady Lowborough.
(c) Lord Lowborough.
5. In Chapter 50, how long does Mr. Markham say he must wait before speaking to Helen?
(a) Nine months.
(b) One month.
(c) Six months.
(d) Three months.
6. In Chapter 30, where does Helen go for the fall?
(a) To her aunt's.
7. After reading Helen's diary, how does Mr. Markham feel?
8. Why does Mr. Markham want to tell his family the truth about Helen?
(a) To be able to propose to her.
(b) To be honest.
(c) To prove his love.
(d) To clear her name.
9. What does Mr. Huntingdon refuse to do when Helen asks him about his lying in "Chapter 30"?
(a) Talk to her.
(b) Travel with her.
(d) Stop lying.
10. Why does Helen begin planning to leave again in Chapter 43?
(a) Because her husband starts to drink again.
(b) Because she saves up enough money.
(c) Because her husband is spending all their money.
(d) Because her husband hires his mistress.
11. Which Lowborough child does Mr. Markham believe is Mr. Huntingdon's?
(a) None of them.
(b) The oldest.
(c) Both of them.
(d) The youngest.
12. In Chapter 53, how does Mr. Markham finally see Helen?
(a) Arthur runs into Mr. Markham at the pub.
(b) He invites her over.
(c) She finds him on the road.
(d) She invites him over.
13. Why does Helen return to Mr. Huntingdon?
(a) Because Arthur asked her to.
(b) Because he apologized.
(c) Because he fell from a horse.
(d) Because she needed money.
14. In Chapter 50, why does Helen spend most of her time at Staningley?
(a) Because Mr. Huntingdon asked her to.
(b) Because of her exhaustion.
(c) Because of her uncle's death.
(d) Because she is vacationing.
15. Where does Helen want to go with her son in Chapter 39?
(b) The United States.
(d) European continent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen admit stands in the way of her marrying Mr. Markham in Chapter 53?
2. In Chapter 35, when does Helen find Lady Lowborough awaiting Mr. Huntingdon?
3. In Chapter 33, why do Mr. Huntingdon's friends say he stopped drinking?
4. In Chapter 37, why does Helen turn down Mr. Hargrave's offer of an affair?
5. In Chapter 30, what does Mr. Huntingdon do after arguing with Helen?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)