|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Helen first arrives at Wildfell Hall, what does she note there isn't a lot of?
2. In Chapter 39, why does Helen begin to paint again?
(a) To teach her son.
(b) To escape her life.
(c) To decorate her house.
(d) To earn money.
3. Why is Mr. Hattersley in town in Chapter 42?
(a) To visit with Helen.
(b) To visit his mother-in-law.
(c) Milicent asked him to come to town.
(d) For business.
4. Who tells Helen about Mr. Huntingdon and Lady Lowborough's relationship?
(b) Lord Lowborough.
(c) Lady Lowborough.
(d) Mr. Hargrave.
5. In Chapter 37, how does Mr. Hargrave try to convince Helen to have an affair?
(a) By saying her husband is having one.
(b) By telling her the Bible says it's alright.
(c) By showing her letters from his sisters.
(d) By giving her drinks.
6. In Chapter 52, why does Mr. Markham visit Staningley?
(a) Mr. Lawrence invites him.
(b) He heard it was empty.
(c) It is where Helen spends most of her time.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Hargrave invite him.
7. In Chapter 52, what worries Mr. Markham about Helen's uncle's death?
(a) She is now wealthier than he is.
(b) Helen was very close with her uncle.
(c) She may decide to stay unmarried.
(d) Her uncle wanted her to move to the Americas.
8. How does Mr. Markham believe Mr. Lawrence reacts to his advice about the Wilsons?
(a) He feels ignored.
(b) He knows Mr. Lawrence believes him.
(c) He gets laughted at.
(d) He isn't sure.
9. What does Lord Lowborough do after learning about his wife's affair?
(a) He argues with Helen.
(b) He goes to London alone.
(c) He returns home.
(d) He has a fight with Mr. Huntingdon.
10. In Chapter 50, how long does Mr. Markham say he must wait before speaking to Helen?
(a) Six months.
(b) One month.
(c) Three months.
(d) Nine months.
11. In Chapter 34, what does Helen tell Lady Lowborough to do when she reveals the affair?
(a) To stop the affair.
(b) To go back home.
(c) To stop being polite.
(d) To tell her husband.
12. In Chapter 48, what does Helen wish for Miss Hargrave?
(a) That she forgives her brother.
(b) That she earn her own money.
(c) That she move away.
(d) That she marry.
13. At the end of Chapter 52, what does Mr. Markham decide to do?
(a) Not visit Helen.
(b) Get dinner with Eliza.
(c) Write a poem for Helen.
(d) Go home immediately.
14. How does Mr. Markham learn that Helen returns to Mr. Huntingdon?
(a) In a letter from Helen.
(b) In a letter from Mr. Huntingdon.
(c) In a letter to Mr. Lawrence.
(d) From Eliza's sister.
15. What does Mr. Markham do after reading Helen's diary?
(a) Takes back his confession of love.
(b) Apologizes to her.
(c) Meets with her brother.
(d) Promises to keep her safe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Helen's aunt want her to live at Staningley?
2. Why does Jane Wilson move to the city?
3. When Lady Lowborough visits in Chapter 31, how does Helen feel about her?
4. In Chapter 29, why do the neighbors visit Helen?
5. What does Frederick say about Helen staying at Wildfell Hall in Chapter 41?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)