|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 37, why does Helen turn down Mr. Hargrave's offer of an affair?
(a) Because she wants to protect her son.
(b) Because she dislikes him.
(c) Because she is legally married.
(d) Because she still loves her husband.
2. After reading Helen's diary, how does Mr. Markham feel?
3. In Chapter 51, who tells Mr. Markham they heard that Helen is getting married?
(b) Mr. Lawrence.
(c) Mr. Hattersley.
4. How does Mr. Lawrence feel about asking Helen to allow Mr. Markham to tell her story to others?
(a) He disagrees fully.
(b) He isn't sure about it.
(c) He is excited for her.
(d) He laughs at Mr. Markham.
5. Who does Eliza marry?
(a) A preacher.
(b) A writer.
(c) An lawyer.
(d) A tradesman.
6. What does Helen admit to doing in Chapter 30?
(a) Hiding from her marriage.
(b) Drinking at night.
(c) Laughing at her husband.
(d) Reading Mr. Huntingdon's mail.
7. How does Mr. Walter Hargrave try to win over Helen?
(a) By complimenting her house.
(b) By bringing her presents.
(c) By making fun of her husband.
(d) By playing with her son.
8. What does Helen admit stands in the way of her marrying Mr. Markham in Chapter 53?
(a) Her brother.
(c) Her religion.
(d) His money.
9. Why does Mr. Markham only know a few things about Helen in Chapter 46?
(a) She stopped keeping a diary.
(b) Mr. Markham had been sick.
(c) Mr. Lawrence doesn't talk about her.
(d) Helen revealed she had been lying.
10. Why does Mr. Hattersley try to hit Mr. Hargrave?
(a) For interfering with his argument.
(b) Because he is drunk.
(c) For talking to his wife.
(d) Because he thinks he is someone else.
11. In Chapter 48, how does Helen describe her husband?
12. In Chapter 42, how does Helen convince Mr. Hattersley that he is right to change his ways?
(a) She reads from the Bible.
(b) She has him talk to her husband.
(c) She agrees with everything he says.
(d) She shows him letters from his wife.
13. Where does Lady Lowborough run away to?
(b) The Americas.
14. What does Lord Lowborough do after learning about his wife's affair?
(a) He argues with Helen.
(b) He goes to London alone.
(c) He returns home.
(d) He has a fight with Mr. Huntingdon.
15. Who does Helen write to to have them prepare Wildfell Hall for her?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Mr. Mark want Mr. Lawrence visiting with the Wilsons?
2. How does Helen learn about her husband stopping drinking in Chapter 33?
3. What does Mr. Huntingdon agree to let Helen do in Chapter 47?
4. What does Mr. Markham do after reading Helen's diary?
5. Where does Helen's diary end?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)