|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 52, what does Mr. Markham decide to do?
(a) Write a poem for Helen.
(b) Not visit Helen.
(c) Go home immediately.
(d) Get dinner with Eliza.
2. After Mr. Huntingdon takes most of Helen's money and belongings, what does he leave her?
(c) A piano.
3. Who does Helen write to to have them prepare Wildfell Hall for her?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her brother.
4. In Chapter 30, what does Mr. Huntingdon do after arguing with Helen?
(a) He drinks.
(b) He leaves town.
(c) He writes to his uncle.
(d) He slaps her.
5. Why does Mr. Markham only know a few things about Helen in Chapter 46?
(a) She stopped keeping a diary.
(b) Mr. Lawrence doesn't talk about her.
(c) Mr. Markham had been sick.
(d) Helen revealed she had been lying.
6. In Chapter 47, what does Eliza say about Helen?
(a) That she reunited with her husband.
(b) That her real name is Mrs. Hargrave.
(c) That she is a liar.
(d) She doesn't speak about Helen.
7. In Chapter 29, why do the neighbors visit Helen?
(a) Because they are being polite.
(b) Because Helen invites them.
(c) Because they need help marrying off a daughter.
(d) Because Mr. Huntingdon is out of town.
8. What does Mr. Huntingdon ask Helen to help him do in Chapter 49?
(a) Fall in love.
(b) Earn money.
(c) Redeem himself.
(d) Stop drinking.
9. Who does Eliza marry?
(a) An lawyer.
(b) A tradesman.
(c) A preacher.
(d) A writer.
10. What does Helen do when Lady Lowborough shows up to hunt in Chapter 38?
(a) She threatens her.
(b) She sends her home.
(c) She greets her kindly.
(d) She ignores her.
11. What does Frederick say about Helen staying at Wildfell Hall in Chapter 41?
(a) That she will be much happier.
(b) That she should try to make her marriage work first.
(c) That he doesn't want her there.
(d) That she will need to clean the place.
12. In Chapter 45, why does Helen say she can never see Mr. Markham again?
(a) Because she dislikes him.
(b) Because he knows the truth.
(c) Because she likes him too much.
(d) Because of her wedding vows.
13. How does Lord Lowborough act when he finds out about his wife's affair?
(a) He is relieved.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is sad.
(d) He is content.
14. Where does Lady Lowborough run away to?
(b) The Americas.
15. In Chapter 48, what does Helen wish for Miss Hargrave?
(a) That she earn her own money.
(b) That she marry.
(c) That she move away.
(d) That she forgives her brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Huntingdon use Arthur to upset Helen in Chapter 36?
2. In Chapter 50, why does Helen spend most of her time at Staningley?
3. Why does Helen's aunt want her to live at Staningley?
4. Why does Helen begin planning to leave again in Chapter 43?
5. What does Mr. Huntingdon agree to let Helen do in Chapter 47?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)