|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Lady Lowborough run away to?
(d) The Americas.
2. In Chapter 39, what worries Helen about her son?
(a) He has been drinking with his father.
(b) He is no longer doing his lessons.
(c) He swears at her.
(d) He dresses like a pauper.
3. What does Mr. Markham do with his family farm in Chapter 80?
(a) Gives it to Arthur.
(b) Gives it to Helen's aunt.
(c) Sells it.
(d) Gives it to his brother.
4. Why does Mr. Hattersley try to hit Mr. Hargrave?
(a) Because he is drunk.
(b) For talking to his wife.
(c) Because he thinks he is someone else.
(d) For interfering with his argument.
5. In Chapter 50, why does Helen spend most of her time at Staningley?
(a) Because of her uncle's death.
(b) Because of her exhaustion.
(c) Because she is vacationing.
(d) Because Mr. Huntingdon asked her to.
6. In Chapter 52, why does Mr. Markham visit Staningley?
(a) It is where Helen spends most of her time.
(b) Mr. Lawrence invites him.
(c) He heard it was empty.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Hargrave invite him.
7. How does Mr. Markham learn that Helen returns to Mr. Huntingdon?
(a) In a letter from Helen.
(b) From Eliza's sister.
(c) In a letter to Mr. Lawrence.
(d) In a letter from Mr. Huntingdon.
8. How does Lord Lowborough act when he finds out about his wife's affair?
(a) He is relieved.
(b) He is sad.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is content.
9. What does Mr. Huntingdon agree to let Helen do in Chapter 47?
(a) Live in the house.
(b) Travel freely.
(c) Earn her own money.
(d) Take Arthur away.
10. Who does Eliza marry?
(a) A preacher.
(b) A tradesman.
(c) A writer.
(d) An lawyer.
11. In Chapter 43, who does Mr. Huntingdon hire?
(a) A maid.
(b) A cook.
(c) A governess.
(d) A butler.
12. When does Mr. Lawrence plan on visiting the Wilsons in Chapter 46?
(a) As soon as Mr. Markham leaves his house.
(b) In the fall.
(c) For the summer.
(d) When he feels better.
13. What does Mr. Markham do when he hears about Helen's wedding in Chapter 51?
(a) Rushes home.
(c) Runs to a telegram office.
(d) Takes a coach to Staningley.
14. Where does Helen's diary end?
(a) With her aunt sending her money.
(b) With her son getting a dog.
(c) With her meeting new friends.
(d) With her husband sending her a note.
15. In Chapter 43, what does Helen say she worries about most in regards to her son?
(a) His safety.
(b) His future.
(c) His faith.
(d) His morality.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 39, why does Helen begin to paint again?
2. When Lady Lowborough visits in Chapter 31, how does Helen feel about her?
3. In Chapter 31, why does Lord Lowborough spend his nights walking?
4. Why doesn't Mr. Mark want Mr. Lawrence visiting with the Wilsons?
5. After reading Helen's diary, how does Mr. Markham feel?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)