|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Helen write to to have them prepare Wildfell Hall for her?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her brother.
2. In Chapter 52, what worries Mr. Markham about Helen's uncle's death?
(a) She may decide to stay unmarried.
(b) Her uncle wanted her to move to the Americas.
(c) She is now wealthier than he is.
(d) Helen was very close with her uncle.
3. Why does Mr. Hattersley try to hit Mr. Hargrave?
(a) Because he is drunk.
(b) Because he thinks he is someone else.
(c) For talking to his wife.
(d) For interfering with his argument.
4. In Chapter 49, what does Mr. Huntingdon demand of Helen?
(a) That she cook all his meals.
(b) That she stay by his side.
(c) That she hire help.
(d) That she go to church for him.
5. In Chapter 32, how does Mr. Hattersley upset his wife?
(a) By teasing her.
(b) By drinking too much.
(c) By getting into an argument.
(d) By talking about another woman.
6. When Lady Lowborough visits in Chapter 31, how does Helen feel about her?
7. In Chapter 36, what happens when Helen asks about Mr. Huntingdon's health?
(a) He is rude to her.
(b) He breaks down crying.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He hugs her.
8. What does Mr. Huntingdon do when Helen visits her sick brother?
(a) Leaves for London.
(b) Reads her diary.
(c) Throws a party.
9. In Chapter 50, how long does Mr. Markham say he must wait before speaking to Helen?
(a) One month.
(b) Three months.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Six months.
10. In Chapter 39, what worries Helen about her son?
(a) He swears at her.
(b) He dresses like a pauper.
(c) He is no longer doing his lessons.
(d) He has been drinking with his father.
11. In Chapter 33, who tries to tell Helen that her husband is being inappropriate?
(b) Mr. Hattersley.
(d) No one.
12. Why does Richard Wilson become the vicar?
(a) Because he moved to a new town.
(b) Because Mr. Millward died.
(c) Because he trained for the position.
(d) Because a new church was built.
13. How does Helen sneak away from home to leave for Wildfell Hall?
(a) She gets her husband drunk.
(b) She waits until her husband is out of town.
(c) She goes in the middle of the night.
(d) She leaves early in the morning.
14. In Chapter 37, how does Mr. Hargrave try to convince Helen to have an affair?
(a) By showing her letters from his sisters.
(b) By saying her husband is having one.
(c) By telling her the Bible says it's alright.
(d) By giving her drinks.
15. Why does Helen begin planning to leave again in Chapter 43?
(a) Because her husband starts to drink again.
(b) Because she saves up enough money.
(c) Because her husband hires his mistress.
(d) Because her husband is spending all their money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Markham do after reading Helen's diary?
2. Where does Helen want to go with her son in Chapter 39?
3. In Chapter 30, where does Helen go for the fall?
4. How does Mr. Lawrence feel about asking Helen to allow Mr. Markham to tell her story to others?
5. When Helen first arrives at Wildfell Hall, what does she note there isn't a lot of?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)