|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mr. Huntingdon question when he realizes Helen is gone?
(a) Her aunt.
(c) Mr. Hargrave.
(d) Her brother.
2. In Chapter 34, what does Helen tell Lady Lowborough to do when she reveals the affair?
(a) To go back home.
(b) To stop the affair.
(c) To stop being polite.
(d) To tell her husband.
3. Which Lowborough child does Mr. Markham believe is Mr. Huntingdon's?
(a) None of them.
(b) The oldest.
(c) Both of them.
(d) The youngest.
4. What does Mr. Huntingdon fear in Chapter 48?
(b) Losing his son.
(c) Going broke.
(d) Losing his wife.
5. Why does Mr. Hargrave offer Helen protection in Chapter 39?
(a) So she won't have to worry about Lady Lowborough.
(b) So she can still have an inheritance.
(c) So she can leave her husband.
(d) So her son will be educated.
6. How does Lord Lowborough act when he finds out about his wife's affair?
(a) He is relieved.
(b) He is sad.
(c) He is content.
(d) He is angry.
7. After Mr. Huntingdon takes most of Helen's money and belongings, what does he leave her?
(b) A piano.
8. Where does Helen's diary end?
(a) With her meeting new friends.
(b) With her aunt sending her money.
(c) With her husband sending her a note.
(d) With her son getting a dog.
9. In Chapter 50, why does Helen spend most of her time at Staningley?
(a) Because Mr. Huntingdon asked her to.
(b) Because of her exhaustion.
(c) Because she is vacationing.
(d) Because of her uncle's death.
10. In Chapter 41, what does Helen do while her husband is in London?
(a) Starts painting again.
(b) Buys train tickets.
(c) Gets her son to stop drinking alcohol.
(d) Finds her hidden jewelry.
11. How does Mr. Lawrence feel about asking Helen to allow Mr. Markham to tell her story to others?
(a) He laughs at Mr. Markham.
(b) He disagrees fully.
(c) He is excited for her.
(d) He isn't sure about it.
12. What does Helen have Mr. Huntingdon do before seeing his son in Chapter 47?
(a) Sign a paper.
(b) Stop drinking.
(c) Agree to keep it short.
(d) Apologize to her.
13. In Chapter 48, what does Helen wish for Miss Hargrave?
(a) That she forgives her brother.
(b) That she earn her own money.
(c) That she move away.
(d) That she marry.
14. Why does Mr. Hattersley try to hit Mr. Hargrave?
(a) For interfering with his argument.
(b) For talking to his wife.
(c) Because he is drunk.
(d) Because he thinks he is someone else.
15. In Chapter 30, why doesn't Helen talk to Mr. Huntingdon about his lying?
(a) Because she is afraid.
(b) Because he is ill.
(c) Because she falls asleep.
(d) Because he is angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 43, what does Helen say she worries about most in regards to her son?
2. How does Helen learn about her husband stopping drinking in Chapter 33?
3. In Chapter 48, how does Helen describe her husband?
4. In Chapter 37, why does Helen turn down Mr. Hargrave's offer of an affair?
5. How does Mr. Huntingdon use Arthur to upset Helen in Chapter 36?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)