|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 30, where does Helen go for the fall?
(a) To her aunt's.
2. Why does Helen begin planning to leave again in Chapter 43?
(a) Because her husband hires his mistress.
(b) Because she saves up enough money.
(c) Because her husband starts to drink again.
(d) Because her husband is spending all their money.
3. In Chapter 36, what happens when Helen asks about Mr. Huntingdon's health?
(a) He is rude to her.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He hugs her.
(d) He breaks down crying.
4. How does Helen sneak away from home to leave for Wildfell Hall?
(a) She waits until her husband is out of town.
(b) She goes in the middle of the night.
(c) She leaves early in the morning.
(d) She gets her husband drunk.
5. What does Mr. Markham do after reading Helen's diary?
(a) Apologizes to her.
(b) Promises to keep her safe.
(c) Meets with her brother.
(d) Takes back his confession of love.
6. Why does Helen's aunt want her to live at Staningley?
(a) So the house won't be empty.
(b) So she has someone to care for her.
(c) So Mr. Markham will be far from the Wilsons.
(d) So she can avoid Grassdale.
7. When Helen first arrives at Wildfell Hall, what does she note there isn't a lot of?
8. When Lord Lowborough finds out about his wife's affair, what does his friend suggest?
(c) That the leave immediately.
(d) A dual.
9. Why does Jane Wilson move to the city?
(a) To avoid her brother.
(b) To travel.
(c) To write a novel.
(d) To work.
10. Which Lowborough child does Mr. Markham believe is Mr. Huntingdon's?
(a) Both of them.
(b) The oldest.
(c) The youngest.
(d) None of them.
11. In Chapter 49, how does Mr. Markham learn about Helen?
(a) From a telegram from Mr. Huntingdon.
(b) From letters to him.
(c) From her letters to her brother.
(d) From her brother.
12. In Chapter 30, what does Mr. Huntingdon do after arguing with Helen?
(a) He drinks.
(b) He writes to his uncle.
(c) He slaps her.
(d) He leaves town.
13. In Chapter 51, who tells Mr. Markham they heard that Helen is getting married?
(b) Mr. Lawrence.
(d) Mr. Hattersley.
14. What does Frederick say about Helen staying at Wildfell Hall in Chapter 41?
(a) That he doesn't want her there.
(b) That she will need to clean the place.
(c) That she should try to make her marriage work first.
(d) That she will be much happier.
15. In Chapter 41, what does Helen do while her husband is in London?
(a) Finds her hidden jewelry.
(b) Gets her son to stop drinking alcohol.
(c) Buys train tickets.
(d) Starts painting again.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Markham believe Mr. Lawrence reacts to his advice about the Wilsons?
2. Why doesn't Mr. Mark want Mr. Lawrence visiting with the Wilsons?
3. In Chapter 33, why do Mr. Huntingdon's friends say he stopped drinking?
4. Why does Mr. Huntingdon accuse Helen of having an affair?
5. In Chapter 37, why does Helen turn down Mr. Hargrave's offer of an affair?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)