|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 31, why does Lord Lowborough spend his nights walking?
(a) Because Lady Lowborough insists upon it.
(b) Because it's good for his health.
(c) Because he doesn't drink.
(d) Because he likes the quiet.
2. Who does Eliza marry?
(a) A preacher.
(b) A writer.
(c) A tradesman.
(d) An lawyer.
3. When Helen first arrives at Wildfell Hall, what does she note there isn't a lot of?
4. What does Helen do when Lady Lowborough shows up to hunt in Chapter 38?
(a) She sends her home.
(b) She greets her kindly.
(c) She ignores her.
(d) She threatens her.
5. In Chapter 30, why doesn't Helen talk to Mr. Huntingdon about his lying?
(a) Because she falls asleep.
(b) Because he is angry.
(c) Because he is ill.
(d) Because she is afraid.
6. Why does Mr. Markham want to tell his family the truth about Helen?
(a) To prove his love.
(b) To be able to propose to her.
(c) To clear her name.
(d) To be honest.
7. In Chapter 35, when does Helen find Lady Lowborough awaiting Mr. Huntingdon?
(a) In the afternoon.
(b) After dinner.
(c) In the morning.
(d) In the middle of the night.
8. After reading Helen's diary, how does Mr. Markham feel?
9. In Chapter 53, how does Mr. Markham finally see Helen?
(a) He invites her over.
(b) She finds him on the road.
(c) Arthur runs into Mr. Markham at the pub.
(d) She invites him over.
10. Who does Mr. Huntingdon question when he realizes Helen is gone?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Mr. Hargrave.
(c) Her brother.
11. What does Mr. Huntingdon fear in Chapter 48?
(a) Losing his son.
(b) Losing his wife.
(c) Going broke.
12. How does Mr. Walter Hargrave try to win over Helen?
(a) By playing with her son.
(b) By bringing her presents.
(c) By complimenting her house.
(d) By making fun of her husband.
13. In Chapter 52, what worries Mr. Markham about Helen's uncle's death?
(a) She may decide to stay unmarried.
(b) Her uncle wanted her to move to the Americas.
(c) She is now wealthier than he is.
(d) Helen was very close with her uncle.
14. In Chapter 39, who does Helen confide in about her marital problems?
(a) Mr. Hargrave.
(c) Her vicor.
(d) Mr. Hattersley.
15. Why doesn't Mr. Mark want Mr. Lawrence visiting with the Wilsons?
(a) Because of their fallen reputation.
(b) Because they dislike Mr. Lawrence.
(c) Because of the gossip they spread.
(d) Because they dislike Mr. Markham.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen do when Mr. Hargrave offers her protection in Chapter 39?
2. How does Mr. Markham learn that Helen returns to Mr. Huntingdon?
3. In Chapter 32, why does Milicent want Helen to advise his sister on marriage?
4. What does Mr. Markham do after reading Helen's diary?
5. Where does Helen want to go with her son in Chapter 39?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)