|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Helen return to Mr. Huntingdon?
(a) Because she needed money.
(b) Because he fell from a horse.
(c) Because Arthur asked her to.
(d) Because he apologized.
2. Where does Lady Lowborough run away to?
(c) The Americas.
3. What does Mr. Huntingdon do when Helen visits her sick brother?
(a) Throws a party.
(b) Reads her diary.
(d) Leaves for London.
4. Who does Mr. Huntingdon question when he realizes Helen is gone?
(a) Her brother.
(c) Mr. Hargrave.
(d) Her aunt.
5. How does Helen sneak away from home to leave for Wildfell Hall?
(a) She gets her husband drunk.
(b) She waits until her husband is out of town.
(c) She goes in the middle of the night.
(d) She leaves early in the morning.
6. What does Helen do when Lady Lowborough shows up to hunt in Chapter 38?
(a) She sends her home.
(b) She threatens her.
(c) She greets her kindly.
(d) She ignores her.
7. After Mr. Huntingdon takes most of Helen's money and belongings, what does he leave her?
(c) A piano.
8. What does Mr. Markham do with his family farm in Chapter 80?
(a) Gives it to Arthur.
(b) Gives it to his brother.
(c) Sells it.
(d) Gives it to Helen's aunt.
9. When does Mr. Lawrence plan on visiting the Wilsons in Chapter 46?
(a) As soon as Mr. Markham leaves his house.
(b) In the fall.
(c) When he feels better.
(d) For the summer.
10. In Chapter 34, what does Helen tell Lady Lowborough to do when she reveals the affair?
(a) To stop the affair.
(b) To go back home.
(c) To tell her husband.
(d) To stop being polite.
11. In Chapter 45, why does Helen say she can never see Mr. Markham again?
(a) Because of her wedding vows.
(b) Because he knows the truth.
(c) Because she dislikes him.
(d) Because she likes him too much.
12. Why is Mr. Hattersley in town in Chapter 42?
(a) For business.
(b) To visit his mother-in-law.
(c) Milicent asked him to come to town.
(d) To visit with Helen.
13. When do Helen and Mr. Markham agree to be married?
(a) In the winter.
(b) In the summer.
(c) In the spring.
(d) In the fall.
14. In Chapter 29, why do the neighbors visit Helen?
(a) Because Mr. Huntingdon is out of town.
(b) Because they are being polite.
(c) Because they need help marrying off a daughter.
(d) Because Helen invites them.
15. In Chapter 49, what does Mr. Huntingdon demand of Helen?
(a) That she stay by his side.
(b) That she hire help.
(c) That she cook all his meals.
(d) That she go to church for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Markham want to tell his family the truth about Helen?
2. In Chapter 36, what happens when Helen asks about Mr. Huntingdon's health?
3. Where does Helen want to go with her son in Chapter 39?
4. At the end of Chapter 52, what does Mr. Markham decide to do?
5. In Chapter 49, how does Mr. Markham learn about Helen?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)