|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What types of paintings does Mr. Markham look through at Mrs. Graham's house in "Chapter Five"?
2. Why does Mrs. Graham say she brought her son with her in Chapter 3?
(a) She doesn't explain.
(b) Because she can't visit without him.
(c) Because Rose wanted to meet him.
(d) Because he asked to go.
3. How much time passes between Chapter 7 and Chapter 8?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) Three weeks.
4. In Chapter 25, how long do the Huntingdons spend in London?
(a) One month.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One week.
(d) Two months.
5. What does Mrs. Graham say about her virtue in Chapter 12?
(a) That it is gone.
(b) That it is good.
(c) That it has been damaged.
(d) That it rules her life.
6. What does Mr. Markham hit Mr. Lawrence with in Chapter 14?
(a) A whip.
(b) A riding crop.
(c) A book.
(d) A stick.
7. What is Mrs. Graham doing near the river in Chapter 6?
8. What does Mrs. Graham do when she sees Mr. Markham looking through her art in Chapter 5?
(a) She turns them around.
(b) She leaves the room.
(c) She offers to sell them to him.
(d) She laughs.
9. What does Helen's aunt warn her about marriage?
(a) To have her father approve of the man before marriage.
(b) To only marry a wealthy man.
(c) Not to marry a man who is wealthy.
(d) Not to marry a man who is interested in her looks.
10. What does Mr. Millward do for a living?
(a) He is a vicar.
(b) He is a farmer.
(c) He is a lawyer.
(d) He is a shopowner.
11. In Chapter 12, why does Mr. Markham begin to believe the rumors about Mrs. Graham and Mr. Lawrence?
(a) Rose confirms the rumor.
(b) He overhears their conversation.
(c) He starts to distrust Mrs. Graham.
(d) Mr. Lawrence writes him a letter.
12. Why does Mr. Millward say he told Mrs. Graham about the rumors?
(a) To entertain her.
(b) To save her.
(c) To see how she would react.
(d) To hurt her.
13. In Chapter 7, where does Mrs. Graham say she wants to visit in order to sketch?
(a) The city.
(b) The shore.
(c) The mountains.
(d) The caves.
14. Why does Mr. Markham visit Mr. Millward in Chapter 2?
(a) To have tea.
(b) To see Eliza.
(c) To ask for money.
(d) To work.
15. Why does Mr. Huntingdon say Annabella is marrying Lord Lowborough?
(a) For his money.
(b) For his title.
(c) For his land.
(d) For his good looks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Markham begin to work so many hours in Chapter 13?
2. At the end of Chapter 8, how does Mr. Markham describe his hopes and fears?
3. What does Mr. Markham tell Mrs. Graham when she is upset in Chapter 12?
4. Why does Helen suggest that Lord Lowborough is marrying Annabella?
5. Who does Mrs. Graham leave her son with in Chapter 7?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)