|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Graham refuse in Chapter 3?
(d) The best seat.
2. What happens to Mr. Lawrence when Mr. Markham hits him in Chapter 14?
(a) He stumbles down steps.
(b) He falls off his horse.
(c) He hits back, quickly.
(d) He passes out.
3. Why doesn't Helen accept Mr. Huntingdon's proposal in Chapter 19?
(a) Because of Annabella's love for him.
(b) Because she is mad at him.
(c) Because she wants her uncle's approval.
(d) Because she loves someone else.
4. Why does Mr. Huntingdon say Annabella is marrying Lord Lowborough?
(a) For his title.
(b) For his land.
(c) For his good looks.
(d) For his money.
5. Why does Helen's aunt disapprove of Mr. Arthur Huntingdon?
(a) Because he is poor.
(b) Because of his habits.
(c) Because he is old.
(d) Because of his mother.
6. Why does Helen burn some of her drawings in Chapter 18?
(a) Because she doesn't like the work.
(b) Because her aunt tells her to.
(c) Because Mr. Huntingdon makes fun of them.
(d) Because she is embarrassed.
7. In Chapter 10, where does Mr. Markham run into Mr. Lawrence?
(a) At the local pub.
(b) On his way to church.
(c) On his way to Wildfell Hall.
(d) On his way to town.
8. Why does Helen dislike Mr. Boarham?
(a) Because he is boring.
(b) Because he is old.
(c) Because he is poor.
(d) Because he drinks.
9. In Chapter 24, why does Mr. Huntingdon plan a trip to London?
(a) Because he has a business opportunity there.
(b) Because Helen isn't talking to him.
(c) Because he has family there.
(d) Because Helen asks him to.
10. Why doesn't Mrs. Graham entertain her guests in the parlor in Chapter 5?
(a) Because it's under construction.
(b) Because it's too drafty.
(c) Because it's too dark.
(d) Because there isn't a fireplace.
11. Why does Mrs. Graham say she brought her son with her in Chapter 3?
(a) Because she can't visit without him.
(b) Because he asked to go.
(c) Because Rose wanted to meet him.
(d) She doesn't explain.
12. In Chapter 18, why does Helen's uncle invite men to visit him in the fall?
(a) Because he is sick.
(b) To hunt.
(c) To meet Helen.
(d) Because they owe him money.
13. Where does Mrs. Graham entertain Mr. Markham and Rose when they visit in Chapter 5?
(a) The bedroom.
(b) The garden.
(c) The art studio.
(d) The kitchen.
14. How does Mrs. Graham react when Mr. Markham appears in Chapter 6?
15. In Chapter 12, when does Mrs. Graham say she will tell Mr. Markham the truth about her?
(a) When she feels like it.
(b) The following day.
(c) Next year.
(d) Within a month.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what does Mrs. Graham do when Mr. Markham offers her a book as a present?
2. Who does Mrs. Graham leave her son with in Chapter 7?
3. Where does Mr. Markham go at the end of Chapter 11?
4. How does Helen react to Mr. Huntingdon's stories in Chapter 24?
5. Why does Helen suggest that Lord Lowborough is marrying Annabella?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)