|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Graham do when she sees Mr. Markham looking through her art in Chapter 5?
(a) She turns them around.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She leaves the room.
(d) She offers to sell them to him.
2. In Chapter 17, how does Helen's aunt react when she finds Helen talking to Mr. Huntingdon?
(a) She just walks away.
3. Why does Mrs. Markham warn Mr. Markham about marrying Eliza?
(a) Because of her father.
(b) Because she won't treat him well.
(c) Because he's too young.
(d) Because she is poor.
4. In Chapter 8, what does Mrs. Graham do when Mr. Markham offers her a book as a present?
(a) Says nothing.
(b) Thanks him.
(c) Gives him a book in return.
(d) Asks to pay for it.
5. Why does Helen's aunt disapprove of Mr. Arthur Huntingdon?
(a) Because of his habits.
(b) Because of his mother.
(c) Because he is old.
(d) Because he is poor.
6. In Chapter 24, why does Mr. Huntingdon plan a trip to London?
(a) Because he has a business opportunity there.
(b) Because Helen asks him to.
(c) Because Helen isn't talking to him.
(d) Because he has family there.
7. Why doesn't Mrs. Graham entertain her guests in the parlor in Chapter 5?
(a) Because it's too dark.
(b) Because there isn't a fireplace.
(c) Because it's too drafty.
(d) Because it's under construction.
8. Why is Mr. Markham writing a letter to his friend?
(a) To plan a vacation.
(b) To tell him a story.
(c) To help him out.
(d) To ask for money.
9. What does Mrs. Graham say about her virtue in Chapter 12?
(a) That it is good.
(b) That it has been damaged.
(c) That it is gone.
(d) That it rules her life.
10. In Chapter 16, what does Helen tell her aunt about marriage?
(a) She is going to marry for love.
(b) She is not going to marry anyone.
(c) She is going to travel before she marries.
(d) She is going to marry for money.
11. In Chapter 6, what does Mrs. Markham warn Mr. Markham about?
(a) His health.
(c) Money issues.
12. What season is it in Chapter 6?
13. In the beginning of Chapter 10, how does Mr. Markham describe Mrs. Graham to his sister and mother?
(a) As being full of trickery.
(b) As being honorable.
(c) As being complicated.
(d) As being a fool.
14. How does Helen feel when Mr. Huntingdon finds the portrait of himself?
15. In Chapter 23, how does Mr. Huntingdon act while at home?
(a) Like he is rich.
(b) Like he is angry.
(c) Like he is having fun.
(d) Like he is bored.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, where does Mr. Markham run into Mr. Lawrence?
2. What fascinates Mr. Markham about Mrs. Graham the first time they meet?
3. What does Mrs. Graham say about her relationship with Mr. Markham in Chapter 8?
4. Where does Mr. Markham go at the end of Chapter 11?
5. Why does Mrs. Graham say she brought her son with her in Chapter 3?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)