|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Graham do before giving her diary to Mr. Markham?
(a) She writes more pages.
(b) She cries.
(c) She removes some of the pages.
(d) She makes him promise to keep it a secret.
2. In Chapter 7, why doesn't Mr. Markham carry Mrs. Graham's things for her?
(a) Because she carries them herself.
(b) Because he is too shy to ask.
(c) Because someone else asks first.
(d) Because her son carries them.
3. In Chapter 19, what makes Helen cry?
(a) A painting.
(b) A poem.
(c) A letter.
(d) A song.
4. In Chapter 18, why does Helen's uncle invite men to visit him in the fall?
(a) Because he is sick.
(b) To hunt.
(c) To meet Helen.
(d) Because they owe him money.
5. What fascinates Mr. Markham about Mrs. Graham the first time they meet?
(a) Her shoes.
(b) Her education.
(c) Her accent.
(d) Her beauty.
6. What does Mrs. Graham do when she sees Mr. Markham looking through her art in Chapter 5?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She offers to sell them to him.
(c) She leaves the room.
(d) She turns them around.
7. In Chapter 10, what does Mr. Millward seem to think about the rumors about Mrs. Graham?
(a) That they are hurting him, too.
(b) That they are funny.
(c) That they are true.
(d) That they are false.
8. What does Mrs. Graham say about her virtue in Chapter 12?
(a) That it has been damaged.
(b) That it is gone.
(c) That it is good.
(d) That it rules her life.
9. In Chapter 27, when does Mr. Huntingdon kiss Lady Lowborough's hand?
(a) When she gets out of a carriage.
(b) After she wins a game of cards.
(c) When she is leaving their house.
(d) After she plays a song on the piano.
10. What does Fergus ask Mrs. Graham about in Chapter 7?
(a) Her money issues.
(b) Her living arrangements.
(c) Her health.
(d) Her children.
11. Why doesn't Helen accept Mr. Huntingdon's proposal in Chapter 19?
(a) Because she is mad at him.
(b) Because she loves someone else.
(c) Because of Annabella's love for him.
(d) Because she wants her uncle's approval.
12. What season is it in Chapter 6?
13. How does Mr. Markham learn that Mrs. Graham moved in next door?
(a) From his friend.
(b) From his sister.
(c) From his mother.
(d) He sees her himself.
14. What upsets Helen about her wedding vacation?
(a) It isn't long enough.
(b) They don't go out on the town.
(c) It is too cold.
(d) They can't spend much money.
15. How does Helen react to Mr. Huntingdon's stories in Chapter 24?
(a) She is confused.
(b) She is entertained.
(c) She is outraged.
(d) She is bored.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what part of the paintings at Mrs. Graham's house interest Mr. Markham?
2. What does Mrs. Graham refuse in Chapter 3?
3. Why does Mr. Markham begin to work so many hours in Chapter 13?
4. Who does Mr. Markham walk home with in Chapter 7?
5. Why does Mrs. Graham say she brought her son with her in Chapter 3?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)