|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What upsets Helen about her wedding vacation?
(a) They can't spend much money.
(b) They don't go out on the town.
(c) It isn't long enough.
(d) It is too cold.
2. How does Helen react to Mr. Huntingdon's stories in Chapter 24?
(a) She is bored.
(b) She is entertained.
(c) She is confused.
(d) She is outraged.
3. In Chapter 3, who does Mrs. Graham ask to apologize to other families in town for her?
(a) Mrs. Markham.
(b) Mr. Millward.
(c) Mr. Markham.
4. In Chapter 22, what makes Helen doubt Mr. Huntingdon's character?
(a) His gambling.
(b) His jokes.
(c) His relationship with Annabella.
(d) His friendship with Lord Lowborough.
5. What does Mrs. Graham say about her virtue in Chapter 12?
(a) That it rules her life.
(b) That it has been damaged.
(c) That it is gone.
(d) That it is good.
6. What does Fergus ask Mrs. Graham about in Chapter 7?
(a) Her money issues.
(b) Her children.
(c) Her health.
(d) Her living arrangements.
7. Why doesn't Helen accept Mr. Huntingdon's proposal in Chapter 19?
(a) Because she loves someone else.
(b) Because of Annabella's love for him.
(c) Because she wants her uncle's approval.
(d) Because she is mad at him.
8. Why does Mrs. Markham warn Mr. Markham about marrying Eliza?
(a) Because she won't treat him well.
(b) Because he's too young.
(c) Because of her father.
(d) Because she is poor.
9. Why does Mr. Huntingdon send Helen home from London before himself?
(a) Because they were arguing.
(b) Because she is boring.
(c) Because it is cheaper.
(d) Because he has business.
10. What is Mrs. Graham doing near the river in Chapter 6?
11. Why is Mr. Markham writing a letter to his friend?
(a) To tell him a story.
(b) To ask for money.
(c) To help him out.
(d) To plan a vacation.
12. At the end of Chapter 25, what does Mr. Huntingdon decide to do?
(a) Have a hunting trip.
(b) Buy a second house.
(c) Write a novel.
(d) Move to London.
13. What does Mr. Markham hit Mr. Lawrence with in Chapter 14?
(a) A whip.
(b) A book.
(c) A stick.
(d) A riding crop.
14. In Chapter 19, what makes Helen cry?
(a) A poem.
(b) A letter.
(c) A painting.
(d) A song.
15. What does Mr. Markham insist his visits and gifts are about in Chapter 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, where is Helen returning from?
2. Why does Helen dislike Mr. Boarham?
3. Why does Mr. Markham visit Mr. Millward in Chapter 2?
4. In Chapter 7, where does Mrs. Graham say she wants to visit in order to sketch?
5. Why does Mr. Millward say he told Mrs. Graham about the rumors?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)