|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lord Lowborough lose his fortune?
(b) Bad investments.
(c) A divorce.
2. In Chapter 2, why does the boy come to talk to Mr. Markham?
(a) Because his mother sent him.
(b) Because Mr. Markham called him over.
(c) Because he needs help.
(d) Because of his dog.
3. How does Mr. Huntingdon react after kissing Lady Lowborough's hand?
(a) Like he is proud.
(b) Like he is ashamed.
(c) Like he is angry.
(d) Like he is sad.
4. What season is it in Chapter 6?
5. What does Mr. Huntingdon do when he finds the portrait of himself?
(a) He pretends like he didn't actually see it.
(b) He laughs at it.
(c) He rips it.
(d) He keeps it.
6. In Chapter 19, what makes Helen cry?
(a) A letter.
(b) A painting.
(c) A song.
(d) A poem.
7. What do Mrs. Markham and Mrs. Graham argue about during their visit in Chapter 3?
8. In the beginning of Chapter 10, how does Mr. Markham describe Mrs. Graham to his sister and mother?
(a) As being complicated.
(b) As being honorable.
(c) As being a fool.
(d) As being full of trickery.
9. In Chapter 7, how many people does Mr. Markham go with to visit Mrs. Graham?
10. At the end of Chapter 8, how does Mr. Markham describe his hopes and fears?
11. In Chapter 12, why does Mr. Markham begin to believe the rumors about Mrs. Graham and Mr. Lawrence?
(a) Mr. Lawrence writes him a letter.
(b) He starts to distrust Mrs. Graham.
(c) Rose confirms the rumor.
(d) He overhears their conversation.
12. Why does Mr. Markham begin to work so many hours in Chapter 13?
(a) Because he is upset.
(b) Because he is bored.
(c) Because he wants a promotion.
(d) Because he needs the money.
13. In Chapter 8, what does Mrs. Graham do when Mr. Markham offers her a book as a present?
(a) Says nothing.
(b) Thanks him.
(c) Asks to pay for it.
(d) Gives him a book in return.
14. What does Mrs. Graham say about her virtue in Chapter 12?
(a) That it is gone.
(b) That it is good.
(c) That it has been damaged.
(d) That it rules her life.
15. In Chapter 18, why does Helen's uncle invite men to visit him in the fall?
(a) To meet Helen.
(b) To hunt.
(c) Because they owe him money.
(d) Because he is sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 22, what makes Helen doubt Mr. Huntingdon's character?
2. What types of paintings does Mr. Markham look through at Mrs. Graham's house in "Chapter Five"?
3. In Chapter 26, what embarrasses Helen?
4. In Chapter 17, how does Helen's aunt react when she finds Helen talking to Mr. Huntingdon?
5. What does Mr. Markham say he inherited from his father?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)