|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Markham insist his visits and gifts are about in Chapter 8?
2. In Chapter 26, what embarrasses Helen?
(a) Her outdated clothing.
(b) Mr. Huntingdon's drinking.
(c) Mr. Huntingdon's flirting with Lady Lowborough.
(d) Her pregnant stomach.
3. In Chapter 23, what does Mr. Huntingdon tell Helen while walking home from church?
(a) She is less pretty each day.
(b) She is too demanding.
(c) She is uneducated.
(d) She is too religious.
4. In Chapter 12, why does Mr. Markham begin to believe the rumors about Mrs. Graham and Mr. Lawrence?
(a) He starts to distrust Mrs. Graham.
(b) He overhears their conversation.
(c) Mr. Lawrence writes him a letter.
(d) Rose confirms the rumor.
5. Why doesn't Helen accept Mr. Huntingdon's proposal in Chapter 19?
(a) Because of Annabella's love for him.
(b) Because she wants her uncle's approval.
(c) Because she loves someone else.
(d) Because she is mad at him.
6. How does Mr. Markham feel while visiting Mr. Wilson in Chapter 13?
7. In Chapter 8, what does Mr. Markham compare Fergus to?
(a) A cat.
(b) A fish.
(c) A sheep.
(d) A dog.
8. In Chapter 7, how many people does Mr. Markham go with to visit Mrs. Graham?
9. In Chapter 10, what does Mr. Millward seem to think about the rumors about Mrs. Graham?
(a) That they are funny.
(b) That they are hurting him, too.
(c) That they are true.
(d) That they are false.
10. In Chapter 22, how does Helen feel about what Mr. Huntingdon tells her about Lord Lowborough?
(a) She is pleased.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is embarrassed.
(d) She is appalled.
11. Why does Helen burn some of her drawings in Chapter 18?
(a) Because she is embarrassed.
(b) Because her aunt tells her to.
(c) Because Mr. Huntingdon makes fun of them.
(d) Because she doesn't like the work.
12. Where does Mr. Markham go at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) To go to see church.
(b) To speak with his mother.
(c) To see Mrs. Graham.
(d) To talk to Eliza.
13. What upsets Helen about her wedding vacation?
(a) It isn't long enough.
(b) It is too cold.
(c) They don't go out on the town.
(d) They can't spend much money.
14. Why does Mrs. Graham say she brought her son with her in Chapter 3?
(a) Because she can't visit without him.
(b) She doesn't explain.
(c) Because he asked to go.
(d) Because Rose wanted to meet him.
15. In Chapter 18, where does Mr. Huntingdon run into Helen?
(a) The library.
(b) The farm lands.
(c) The town's center.
(d) The pub.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mr. Lawrence when Mr. Markham hits him in Chapter 14?
2. Why doesn't Mrs. Graham entertain her guests in the parlor in Chapter 5?
3. Who does Mr. Markham walk home with in Chapter 7?
4. In Chapter 17, where does Helen visit for a dinner party?
5. What does Mr. Huntingdon do when he finds the portrait of himself?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)