|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Helen's aunt disapprove of Mr. Arthur Huntingdon?
(a) Because of his habits.
(b) Because he is poor.
(c) Because he is old.
(d) Because of his mother.
2. How does Mr. Markham feel while visiting Mr. Wilson in Chapter 13?
3. In Chapter 22, how does Helen feel about what Mr. Huntingdon tells her about Lord Lowborough?
(a) She is confused.
(b) She is appalled.
(c) She is pleased.
(d) She is embarrassed.
4. Where does Helen make a small sketch of Mr. Huntingdon?
(a) On a napkin.
(b) On the back of another drawing.
(c) In her diary.
(d) In the corner of a still-life.
5. In Chapter 12, why does Mr. Markham begin to believe the rumors about Mrs. Graham and Mr. Lawrence?
(a) He overhears their conversation.
(b) Rose confirms the rumor.
(c) Mr. Lawrence writes him a letter.
(d) He starts to distrust Mrs. Graham.
6. Why does Mrs. Graham give Mr. Markham her diary?
(a) So he will stop loving her.
(b) So he can laugh.
(c) So he knows the truth.
(d) So she will feel better.
7. What does Mr. Huntingdon do when he finds the portrait of himself?
(a) He keeps it.
(b) He laughs at it.
(c) He pretends like he didn't actually see it.
(d) He rips it.
8. In Chapter 10, where does Mr. Markham run into Mr. Lawrence?
(a) On his way to Wildfell Hall.
(b) On his way to town.
(c) At the local pub.
(d) On his way to church.
9. What does Mr. Markham insist his visits and gifts are about in Chapter 8?
10. Where does Mrs. Graham entertain Mr. Markham and Rose when they visit in Chapter 5?
(a) The garden.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The bedroom.
(d) The art studio.
11. Where does Mr. Markham go at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) To see Mrs. Graham.
(b) To go to see church.
(c) To speak with his mother.
(d) To talk to Eliza.
12. What stories does Mr. Huntingdon tell Helen in Chapter 24?
(a) Stories about his drinking.
(b) Stories of past romances.
(c) Stories of his gambling.
(d) Stories about his travels.
13. Why does Mr. Millward say he told Mrs. Graham about the rumors?
(a) To entertain her.
(b) To see how she would react.
(c) To hurt her.
(d) To save her.
14. When does "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" take place?
(a) The 1830s.
(b) The 1810s.
(c) The 1840s.
(d) The 1820s.
15. What does Mrs. Graham do before giving her diary to Mr. Markham?
(a) She cries.
(b) She removes some of the pages.
(c) She makes him promise to keep it a secret.
(d) She writes more pages.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what does Mr. Millward seem to think about the rumors about Mrs. Graham?
2. Why is Mr. Markham writing a letter to his friend?
3. What happens when Mr. Markham tries to help Mr. Lawrence in Chapter 14?
4. What does Helen's aunt warn her about marriage?
5. How does Mr. Markham learn that Mrs. Graham moved in next door?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)