|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Helen make a small sketch of Mr. Huntingdon?
(a) In her diary.
(b) On the back of another drawing.
(c) On a napkin.
(d) In the corner of a still-life.
2. In Chapter 22, what makes Helen doubt Mr. Huntingdon's character?
(a) His friendship with Lord Lowborough.
(b) His relationship with Annabella.
(c) His jokes.
(d) His gambling.
3. What types of paintings does Mr. Markham look through at Mrs. Graham's house in "Chapter Five"?
4. In Chapter 18, why does Helen's uncle invite men to visit him in the fall?
(a) To meet Helen.
(b) Because they owe him money.
(c) To hunt.
(d) Because he is sick.
5. What does Mr. Markham say he inherited from his father?
(a) A small cottage.
(b) A tavern.
(c) A farm.
(d) A shop.
6. What does Mrs. Graham do before giving her diary to Mr. Markham?
(a) She writes more pages.
(b) She cries.
(c) She removes some of the pages.
(d) She makes him promise to keep it a secret.
7. What does Helen's aunt warn her about marriage?
(a) To only marry a wealthy man.
(b) Not to marry a man who is wealthy.
(c) To have her father approve of the man before marriage.
(d) Not to marry a man who is interested in her looks.
8. In Chapter 16, what does Helen tell her aunt about marriage?
(a) She is not going to marry anyone.
(b) She is going to marry for love.
(c) She is going to marry for money.
(d) She is going to travel before she marries.
9. What happens when Mr. Markham tries to help Mr. Lawrence in Chapter 14?
(a) He refuses the help.
(b) He thanks him.
(c) He hits him again.
(d) He walks away.
10. How does Mr. Huntingdon find the sketch of himself that Helen drew?
(a) Helen's aunt shows it to him.
(b) She shows it to him.
(c) He visits unexpectedly.
(d) He looks through her work.
11. How does Helen feel when Mr. Huntingdon finds the portrait of himself?
12. In Chapter 7, how many people does Mr. Markham go with to visit Mrs. Graham?
13. In Chapter 6, what does Mr. Markham ask Mr. Lawrence about?
(a) What gossip he has heard.
(b) His relationship with Mrs. Graham.
(c) The rooms he has for rent.
(d) His financial situation.
14. What does Mr. Markham tell Mrs. Graham when she is upset in Chapter 12?
(a) That he is sorry.
(b) That he thinks she is foolish.
(c) That he wants to protect her.
(d) That he will hurt whoever is spreading the rumors.
15. In Chapter 12, why does Mr. Markham begin to believe the rumors about Mrs. Graham and Mr. Lawrence?
(a) He starts to distrust Mrs. Graham.
(b) Rose confirms the rumor.
(c) He overhears their conversation.
(d) Mr. Lawrence writes him a letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Markham walk home with in Chapter 7?
2. Why doesn't Helen accept Mr. Huntingdon's proposal in Chapter 19?
3. In Chapter 16, where is Helen returning from?
4. In Chapter 24, why does Mr. Huntingdon plan a trip to London?
5. What is Mrs. Graham doing near the river in Chapter 6?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)