|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Markham begin to work so many hours in Chapter 13?
(a) Because he needs the money.
(b) Because he is bored.
(c) Because he wants a promotion.
(d) Because he is upset.
2. In Chapter 2, why does the boy come to talk to Mr. Markham?
(a) Because his mother sent him.
(b) Because Mr. Markham called him over.
(c) Because of his dog.
(d) Because he needs help.
3. In Chapter 16, where is Helen returning from?
4. What does Fergus ask Mrs. Graham about in Chapter 7?
(a) Her children.
(b) Her health.
(c) Her money issues.
(d) Her living arrangements.
5. Why does Mr. Markham give Mrs. Graham's son a collar for his dog?
(a) As a birthday present.
(b) So he can visit the Grahams.
(c) Mrs. Graham asks him to.
(d) Because he found one that belonged to his sister.
6. Why does Mr. Markham visit Mr. Millward in Chapter 2?
(a) To ask for money.
(b) To see Eliza.
(c) To have tea.
(d) To work.
7. What does Mrs. Graham say about her virtue in Chapter 12?
(a) That it has been damaged.
(b) That it is gone.
(c) That it rules her life.
(d) That it is good.
8. In Chapter 17, where does Helen visit for a dinner party?
(a) Mr. Boarham's.
(b) Mr. Wilmot's.
(c) Mr. Huntingdon's.
(d) Her uncle's.
9. In Chapter 23, what does Mr. Huntingdon tell Helen while walking home from church?
(a) She is too religious.
(b) She is uneducated.
(c) She is too demanding.
(d) She is less pretty each day.
10. At the end of Chapter 25, what does Mr. Huntingdon decide to do?
(a) Buy a second house.
(b) Have a hunting trip.
(c) Write a novel.
(d) Move to London.
11. In Chapter 8, what does Mrs. Graham do when Mr. Markham offers her a book as a present?
(a) Gives him a book in return.
(b) Thanks him.
(c) Asks to pay for it.
(d) Says nothing.
12. What does Mrs. Graham do when she sees Mr. Markham looking through her art in Chapter 5?
(a) She turns them around.
(b) She offers to sell them to him.
(c) She leaves the room.
(d) She laughs.
13. Why is Mr. Markham writing a letter to his friend?
(a) To help him out.
(b) To plan a vacation.
(c) To ask for money.
(d) To tell him a story.
14. Why does Mr. Huntingdon send Helen home from London before himself?
(a) Because he has business.
(b) Because they were arguing.
(c) Because she is boring.
(d) Because it is cheaper.
15. Where does Helen make a small sketch of Mr. Huntingdon?
(a) On the back of another drawing.
(b) On a napkin.
(c) In the corner of a still-life.
(d) In her diary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Graham leave her son with in Chapter 7?
2. In Chapter 18, where does Mr. Huntingdon run into Helen?
3. Why does Helen suggest that Lord Lowborough is marrying Annabella?
4. What does Mr. Millward do for a living?
5. Who does Mr. Markham walk home with in Chapter 7?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)