|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 12, why does Mr. Markham return to Wildfell Hall?
(a) To listen in on Mrs. Graham's conversations.
(b) Because he left something there.
(c) To see Mrs. Graham one more time.
(d) Because Mrs. Graham calls to him.
2. In Chapter 23, how does Mr. Huntingdon act while at home?
(a) Like he is angry.
(b) Like he is bored.
(c) Like he is rich.
(d) Like he is having fun.
3. Why does Helen burn some of her drawings in Chapter 18?
(a) Because her aunt tells her to.
(b) Because she is embarrassed.
(c) Because Mr. Huntingdon makes fun of them.
(d) Because she doesn't like the work.
4. How does Mrs. Graham react when Mr. Markham appears in Chapter 6?
5. What stories does Mr. Huntingdon tell Helen in Chapter 24?
(a) Stories about his travels.
(b) Stories about his drinking.
(c) Stories of past romances.
(d) Stories of his gambling.
6. Why does Mr. Markham begin to work so many hours in Chapter 13?
(a) Because he wants a promotion.
(b) Because he is bored.
(c) Because he is upset.
(d) Because he needs the money.
7. In Chapter 10, where does Mr. Markham run into Mr. Lawrence?
(a) On his way to church.
(b) On his way to Wildfell Hall.
(c) At the local pub.
(d) On his way to town.
8. Why does Mrs. Markham warn Mr. Markham about marrying Eliza?
(a) Because he's too young.
(b) Because of her father.
(c) Because she is poor.
(d) Because she won't treat him well.
9. In Chapter 16, where is Helen returning from?
10. In Chapter 8, what does Mrs. Graham do when Mr. Markham offers her a book as a present?
(a) Thanks him.
(b) Gives him a book in return.
(c) Says nothing.
(d) Asks to pay for it.
11. In Chapter 8, what does Mr. Markham compare Fergus to?
(a) A dog.
(b) A cat.
(c) A sheep.
(d) A fish.
12. In Chapter 18, where does Mr. Huntingdon run into Helen?
(a) The pub.
(b) The town's center.
(c) The library.
(d) The farm lands.
13. Where does Mrs. Graham entertain Mr. Markham and Rose when they visit in Chapter 5?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The art studio.
(c) The garden.
(d) The bedroom.
14. Why does Mr. Huntingdon say Annabella is marrying Lord Lowborough?
(a) For his title.
(b) For his money.
(c) For his land.
(d) For his good looks.
15. Why does Mr. Markham visit Mr. Millward in Chapter 2?
(a) To see Eliza.
(b) To work.
(c) To have tea.
(d) To ask for money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Markham insist his visits and gifts are about in Chapter 8?
2. What upsets Helen about her wedding vacation?
3. Why does Helen's aunt disapprove of Mr. Arthur Huntingdon?
4. Why does Mr. Huntingdon send Helen home from London before himself?
5. What does Mrs. Graham do before giving her diary to Mr. Markham?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)