|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helen's aunt warn her about marriage?
(a) Not to marry a man who is interested in her looks.
(b) To only marry a wealthy man.
(c) Not to marry a man who is wealthy.
(d) To have her father approve of the man before marriage.
2. Why does Helen's aunt disapprove of Mr. Arthur Huntingdon?
(a) Because of his mother.
(b) Because of his habits.
(c) Because he is poor.
(d) Because he is old.
3. What stories does Mr. Huntingdon tell Helen in Chapter 24?
(a) Stories about his travels.
(b) Stories of past romances.
(c) Stories about his drinking.
(d) Stories of his gambling.
4. Why does Mrs. Markham warn Mr. Markham about marrying Eliza?
(a) Because she won't treat him well.
(b) Because he's too young.
(c) Because she is poor.
(d) Because of her father.
5. What types of paintings does Mr. Markham look through at Mrs. Graham's house in "Chapter Five"?
6. How does Mrs. Graham react when Mr. Markham appears in Chapter 6?
7. How much time passes between Chapter 7 and Chapter 8?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Five weeks.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Four weeks.
8. What happens when Mr. Markham tries to help Mr. Lawrence in Chapter 14?
(a) He walks away.
(b) He hits him again.
(c) He thanks him.
(d) He refuses the help.
9. In Chapter 23, how does Mr. Huntingdon act while at home?
(a) Like he is angry.
(b) Like he is rich.
(c) Like he is having fun.
(d) Like he is bored.
10. What does Mr. Markham say he inherited from his father?
(a) A shop.
(b) A tavern.
(c) A small cottage.
(d) A farm.
11. What fascinates Mr. Markham about Mrs. Graham the first time they meet?
(a) Her shoes.
(b) Her education.
(c) Her beauty.
(d) Her accent.
12. In Chapter 22, how does Helen feel about what Mr. Huntingdon tells her about Lord Lowborough?
(a) She is confused.
(b) She is embarrassed.
(c) She is appalled.
(d) She is pleased.
13. In Chapter 26, what embarrasses Helen?
(a) Mr. Huntingdon's flirting with Lady Lowborough.
(b) Mr. Huntingdon's drinking.
(c) Her outdated clothing.
(d) Her pregnant stomach.
14. In the beginning of Chapter 10, how does Mr. Markham describe Mrs. Graham to his sister and mother?
(a) As being honorable.
(b) As being a fool.
(c) As being full of trickery.
(d) As being complicated.
15. How does Mr. Huntingdon react after kissing Lady Lowborough's hand?
(a) Like he is angry.
(b) Like he is sad.
(c) Like he is proud.
(d) Like he is ashamed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Graham do before giving her diary to Mr. Markham?
2. Who does Mrs. Graham leave her son with in Chapter 7?
3. In Chapter 8, what does Mr. Markham compare Fergus to?
4. In Chapter 6, what does Mrs. Markham warn Mr. Markham about?
5. What does Mrs. Graham say about her virtue in Chapter 12?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)