|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 18, why does Helen's uncle invite men to visit him in the fall?
(a) Because they owe him money.
(b) To meet Helen.
(c) To hunt.
(d) Because he is sick.
2. How does Mr. Huntingdon find the sketch of himself that Helen drew?
(a) She shows it to him.
(b) He visits unexpectedly.
(c) Helen's aunt shows it to him.
(d) He looks through her work.
3. Why does Helen's aunt disapprove of Mr. Arthur Huntingdon?
(a) Because he is old.
(b) Because of his mother.
(c) Because he is poor.
(d) Because of his habits.
4. Why does Mrs. Markham warn Mr. Markham about marrying Eliza?
(a) Because of her father.
(b) Because she is poor.
(c) Because she won't treat him well.
(d) Because he's too young.
5. What does Mr. Markham say he inherited from his father?
(a) A tavern.
(b) A shop.
(c) A small cottage.
(d) A farm.
6. What is Mrs. Graham doing near the river in Chapter 6?
7. What does Helen's aunt warn her about marriage?
(a) Not to marry a man who is wealthy.
(b) To only marry a wealthy man.
(c) Not to marry a man who is interested in her looks.
(d) To have her father approve of the man before marriage.
8. In Chapter 12, why does Mr. Markham return to Wildfell Hall?
(a) To see Mrs. Graham one more time.
(b) Because Mrs. Graham calls to him.
(c) To listen in on Mrs. Graham's conversations.
(d) Because he left something there.
9. Where does Mrs. Graham entertain Mr. Markham and Rose when they visit in Chapter 5?
(a) The bedroom.
(b) The art studio.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The garden.
10. In the beginning of Chapter 10, how does Mr. Markham describe Mrs. Graham to his sister and mother?
(a) As being full of trickery.
(b) As being complicated.
(c) As being honorable.
(d) As being a fool.
11. In Chapter 16, what does Helen tell her aunt about marriage?
(a) She is going to marry for love.
(b) She is going to marry for money.
(c) She is going to travel before she marries.
(d) She is not going to marry anyone.
12. What does Mrs. Graham say about her virtue in Chapter 12?
(a) That it is gone.
(b) That it has been damaged.
(c) That it rules her life.
(d) That it is good.
13. What does Mrs. Graham want to know about Mr. Markham in Chapter 15?
(a) Why he has been ignoring her.
(b) Why he fought with Mr. Lawrence.
(c) Why he is so annoying.
(d) Why he loves her.
14. In Chapter 5, what part of the paintings at Mrs. Graham's house interest Mr. Markham?
(a) The type of paint.
(b) The signatures.
(c) The size.
(d) The frames.
15. How much time passes between Chapter 7 and Chapter 8?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Five weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, why doesn't Mr. Markham carry Mrs. Graham's things for her?
2. In Chapter 12, why does Mr. Markham begin to believe the rumors about Mrs. Graham and Mr. Lawrence?
3. Why does Mr. Huntingdon say Annabella is marrying Lord Lowborough?
4. Why is Mr. Markham writing a letter to his friend?
5. What does Mrs. Graham do before giving her diary to Mr. Markham?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)