|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Helen's aunt disapprove of Mr. Arthur Huntingdon?
(a) Because he is poor.
(b) Because of his habits.
(c) Because of his mother.
(d) Because he is old.
2. What does Mr. Huntingdon do when he finds the portrait of himself?
(a) He rips it.
(b) He laughs at it.
(c) He keeps it.
(d) He pretends like he didn't actually see it.
3. What does Mr. Markham say he inherited from his father?
(a) A small cottage.
(b) A farm.
(c) A tavern.
(d) A shop.
4. In Chapter 16, what does Helen tell her aunt about marriage?
(a) She is going to marry for money.
(b) She is going to marry for love.
(c) She is not going to marry anyone.
(d) She is going to travel before she marries.
5. Why does Helen suggest that Lord Lowborough is marrying Annabella?
(a) For her good looks.
(b) For her title.
(c) For her father's business.
(d) For her money.
6. What does Mr. Huntingdon say Lord Lowborough did after losing his fortune?
(a) Moved to the country.
(b) Began drinking.
(c) Started stealing.
(d) Divorced his wife.
7. In Chapter 26, what embarrasses Helen?
(a) Her outdated clothing.
(b) Her pregnant stomach.
(c) Mr. Huntingdon's drinking.
(d) Mr. Huntingdon's flirting with Lady Lowborough.
8. How does Mr. Huntingdon find the sketch of himself that Helen drew?
(a) Helen's aunt shows it to him.
(b) She shows it to him.
(c) He visits unexpectedly.
(d) He looks through her work.
9. What does Mr. Millward do for a living?
(a) He is a lawyer.
(b) He is a farmer.
(c) He is a shopowner.
(d) He is a vicar.
10. In Chapter 23, what does Mr. Huntingdon tell Helen while walking home from church?
(a) She is too religious.
(b) She is less pretty each day.
(c) She is uneducated.
(d) She is too demanding.
11. In Chapter 12, why does Mr. Markham return to Wildfell Hall?
(a) Because he left something there.
(b) Because Mrs. Graham calls to him.
(c) To listen in on Mrs. Graham's conversations.
(d) To see Mrs. Graham one more time.
12. In Chapter 12, when does Mrs. Graham say she will tell Mr. Markham the truth about her?
(a) When she feels like it.
(b) Within a month.
(c) Next year.
(d) The following day.
13. Why doesn't Mrs. Graham entertain her guests in the parlor in Chapter 5?
(a) Because it's too drafty.
(b) Because it's too dark.
(c) Because it's under construction.
(d) Because there isn't a fireplace.
14. In Chapter 6, what does Mrs. Markham warn Mr. Markham about?
(a) His health.
(c) Money issues.
15. In Chapter 7, why doesn't Mr. Markham carry Mrs. Graham's things for her?
(a) Because he is too shy to ask.
(b) Because she carries them herself.
(c) Because her son carries them.
(d) Because someone else asks first.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Markham hit Mr. Lawrence with in Chapter 14?
2. Why is Mr. Markham writing a letter to his friend?
3. At the end of Chapter 25, what does Mr. Huntingdon decide to do?
4. In Chapter 19, what makes Helen cry?
5. In Chapter 18, where does Mr. Huntingdon run into Helen?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)