|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Markham hit Mr. Lawrence with in Chapter 14?
(a) A riding crop.
(b) A book.
(c) A stick.
(d) A whip.
2. What stories does Mr. Huntingdon tell Helen in Chapter 24?
(a) Stories of his gambling.
(b) Stories about his drinking.
(c) Stories about his travels.
(d) Stories of past romances.
3. In Chapter 5, what part of the paintings at Mrs. Graham's house interest Mr. Markham?
(a) The type of paint.
(b) The size.
(c) The frames.
(d) The signatures.
4. Why does Mr. Markham visit Mr. Millward in Chapter 2?
(a) To see Eliza.
(b) To work.
(c) To ask for money.
(d) To have tea.
5. In Chapter 22, how does Helen feel about what Mr. Huntingdon tells her about Lord Lowborough?
(a) She is appalled.
(b) She is embarrassed.
(c) She is confused.
(d) She is pleased.
6. In Chapter 12, when does Mrs. Graham say she will tell Mr. Markham the truth about her?
(a) Within a month.
(b) When she feels like it.
(c) Next year.
(d) The following day.
7. How does Helen react to Mr. Huntingdon's stories in Chapter 24?
(a) She is entertained.
(b) She is bored.
(c) She is outraged.
(d) She is confused.
8. Why doesn't Helen accept Mr. Huntingdon's proposal in Chapter 19?
(a) Because she is mad at him.
(b) Because of Annabella's love for him.
(c) Because she wants her uncle's approval.
(d) Because she loves someone else.
9. Who does Mr. Markham walk home with in Chapter 7?
(b) Mrs. Graham.
(d) He walks alone.
10. In Chapter 8, what does Mr. Markham compare Fergus to?
(a) A sheep.
(b) A dog.
(c) A fish.
(d) A cat.
11. In Chapter 7, where does Mrs. Graham say she wants to visit in order to sketch?
(a) The mountains.
(b) The caves.
(c) The shore.
(d) The city.
12. In Chapter 6, what does Mr. Markham ask Mr. Lawrence about?
(a) His financial situation.
(b) What gossip he has heard.
(c) His relationship with Mrs. Graham.
(d) The rooms he has for rent.
13. How does Mr. Huntingdon react after kissing Lady Lowborough's hand?
(a) Like he is angry.
(b) Like he is proud.
(c) Like he is sad.
(d) Like he is ashamed.
14. What does Mr. Markham say he inherited from his father?
(a) A shop.
(b) A small cottage.
(c) A farm.
(d) A tavern.
15. In Chapter 27, when does Mr. Huntingdon kiss Lady Lowborough's hand?
(a) When she gets out of a carriage.
(b) After she wins a game of cards.
(c) After she plays a song on the piano.
(d) When she is leaving their house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Graham react when Mr. Markham appears in Chapter 6?
2. What does Mrs. Graham say about her relationship with Mr. Markham in Chapter 8?
3. How does Mr. Markham feel while visiting Mr. Wilson in Chapter 13?
4. What does Mrs. Graham do before giving her diary to Mr. Markham?
5. Why does Mrs. Markham warn Mr. Markham about marrying Eliza?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)