The Letter and Chapters 1-5
* Mr. Markham writes a letter to a friend.
* Mrs. Graham, a widow, moves in next door to Mr. Markham.
* Mr. Markham and his family become friends with Mrs. Graham.
* Mr. Markham looks through some of Mrs. Graham's paintings, which seems to bother her.
* Mrs. Graham changes back and forth between being annoyed with Mr. Markham to enjoying his company.
* Mrs. Graham plans a trip to the shore to do a sketch.
* Eliza repeats gossip she heard about Mrs. Graham not being a widow.
* Mr. Markham begins to dislike Eliza.
* Mrs. Graham is upset about the rumors circulating about her.
* Mr. Markham overhears Mrs. Graham and Mr. Lawrence talking about their affair.
* Mr. Markham hits Mr. Lawrence.
* Mrs. Graham gives Mr. Lawrence her diary in order to explain her relationship with Mr. Lawrence.
* Helen, or Mrs. Graham, is...
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)