|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Paul rush to the United States?
(a) He is told to return by Tom.
(b) His mother is dying.
(c) His father is dying.
(d) He suddenly understands something Kim says while they are talking in Rome.
2. Why does Paul love Molly?
(a) She accepts him for himself.
(b) She is funny and charming.
(c) She allows him the space he needs.
(d) She is not part of his past.
3. Why do Paul and David meet at the Statler Hotel?
(a) That is where Paul is staying.
(b) They fear eavesdropping.
(c) They know the security manager.
(d) They like the lunch buffet.
4. Where does Paul run?
(a) To where his Citroën is parked.
(b) To Luong's home.
(c) To his hotel room.
(d) To the American embassy.
5. Where does David's letter send Paul?
(a) To St. Peter's Basilica.
(b) To Venice to a former employee of the Outfit.
(c) To Brussels to a self-service storage facility.
(d) To a specific box in the Union de Banques Suisses.
6. Who can predict and use others' mistakes?
(a) Both Paul and David.
(b) Neither Paul nor David are good at that.
(c) Only Paul.
(d) Only David.
7. Who is Molly?
(a) An agent who works with Paul.
(b) Paul's sister.
(c) Paul's girlfriend.
(d) Paul's ex-wife.
8. Who is Dieter Dimpel?
(a) A German spy who worked for Scotland Yard.
(b) A man Paul recruits and trains in Berlin in 1946.
(c) The German guard who helps Paul escape a POW camp.
(d) A German spy who worked for Interpol.
9. What is mentioned as part of the French culture at the time?
(a) Indifference to the plight of the Vietnamese.
(d) Indifference to the United States.
10. Who has been murdered when Paul is in Rome?
(b) Ngo Diem.
(d) Jung Su.
11. Who scoffs at the idea they will admit to killing an American president and destroying the American army with heroin?
(c) The Truong toc.
(d) Luong's widow.
12. What convinces Paul he loves his girlfriend?
(a) Three days without her and it is hell.
(b) That he feels good despite his agony about JFK.
(c) That he calls her several times a day.
(d) Three days in Siena with her.
13. Who is Piero Cremona?
(a) A Fascist journalist.
(b) A Libertine journalist.
(c) A Communist journalist.
(d) A right-wing, Christian journalist.
14. What does Paul find when he reaches Saigon?
(a) Luong's dead body.
(b) A doll with blood all over it on his bed at his motel.
(c) A note from Wolkowicz.
(d) Signs that the Ngos bodyguards have rifled his hotel room.
15. What does Paul realize may happen to him?
(a) He may lose his girlfriend.
(b) He may be fired.
(c) He may be arrested on trumped-up charges.
(d) He may die trying to learn the truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Nsango?
2. What does Luong face?
3. Who fires a pistol at Paul as he leaves the Truong toc's home?
4. What does Paul offer Kim?
5. What does David say about the "outfit" as regards the Ngo men?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)