|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phrase does Lale use to describe Dr. Mengele?
(a) A doctor with a compassionate soul.
(b) A doctor with a charming smile.
(c) A doctor who will cause more pain than he eases.
(d) A doctor who is a brilliant researcher.
2. What is unusual about Jakub's physical appearance?
(a) He is covered in tattoos.
(b) He has flaming red hair.
(c) He is huge and powerful.
(d) He has freckles completely covering his face.
3. What job does Gita perform where she works?
(a) She sorts the belongings confiscated from the other prisoners.
(b) She nurses the sick.
(c) She finds food in the woods.
(d) She tattoos the female prisoners.
4. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of the group that Lale is interested in learning about?
(a) They do not wear a brand.
(b) They wear civilian clothes.
(c) They are all red-heads.
(d) The are are not seen in camp after work hours.
5. How old is Lale when the story opens?
(a) 75 years old.
(b) 18 years old.
(c) 25 years old.
(d) 50 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the prisoner's name for the death cart?
2. What does Baretski do when he sees prisoners resting on the ground?
3. What is the translation for the slogan that appears on the gate to the camp?
4. Why does Gita not tell Lale what she has learned about her parents?
5. Where was Lale born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the prisoners that Lale sees loaded onto the bus shortly after he arrives at the camp?
2. What act of kindness does Gita do for Mrs. Goldstein?
3. How do Gita's cellmates keep her alive when she is ill?
4. Who is the man in the white coat and why is Lale afraid of him?
5. What happens to Leon?
6. Who is Hilda Goldstein and what news does she bring Gita?
7. Why is the building that many of the girls work called Canada?
8. Why is Lale pulled toward the woman known as Nayda?
9. What group of people move into Lale's private block and why are they there?
10. Why does Gita not tell Lale that her family has been killed?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)