|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Latin word “regia,” used by Bianca in Act III, Scene I, translate to in English?
2. Katharina says in Act IV, Scene III, “The more my wrong, the more his spite appears: / What, did he marry me to” what?
3. What does Petruchio claim “now is sharp and passing empty” in Act IV, Scene I?
4. Who does Tranio claim is the master of “the taming-school” in Act IV, Scene II?
5. Gremio says of Petruchio in Act III, Scene II, “he took the bride about the neck / And kiss'd her lips with such a clamorous smack / That at the parting all the church did” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Petruchio describe his treatment of his bride in the end of Act IV, Scene I?
2. What conversation takes place between Tranio, Lucentio, and Bianca in Act IV, Scene II?
3. How would you characterize the Pedant in Act IV?
4. Where do Petruchio and Katharina arrive in Act IV, Scene I? How is Petruchio’s behavior characterized?
5. How do Hortensio’s objectives change in Act IV, Scene II? Why?
6. Whom do Petruchio and Katharina encounter along their travels in Act IV, Scene V?
7. How does Katharina respond to Petruchio’s delay at the wedding in Act III, Scene II?
8. How does Petruchio win his argument in Act IV, Scene V?
9. How does Tranio convince the Pedant to agree to his disguise in Act IV, Scene IV?
10. What do Petruchio and Katharina argue about during their travels in Act IV, Scene V?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the characters of Hortensio and Gremio in the play. How wealthy are each of these suitors? Does Baptista show preference of one suitor over the other for his daughter’s hand in marriage? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of appearance versus reality in the play. How does this theme apply to societal expectations? How does the theme relate to the theme of gender roles? In what ways does Petruchio illustrate this theme in Act III?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss character “action” and “objective” in literature and drama. What is Petruchio’s objective in Act II? What actions does he take in order to achieve that objective? How does Petruchio use “reverse psychology” to achieve his goals?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)