|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Tailor bring in for Petruchio to view in Act IV, Scene III?
2. What term from Act III, Scene II refers to a close-fitting jacket or short coat, usually sleeveless, as worn in the 16th and 17th centuries?
3. What does the Latin word “regia,” used by Bianca in Act III, Scene I, translate to in English?
4. Hortensio claims that he will marry a wealthy widow before how many days pass in Act IV, Scene II?
5. What does Petruchio claim “now is sharp and passing empty” in Act IV, Scene I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation takes place between Tranio, Lucentio, and Bianca in Act IV, Scene II?
2. How is Petruchio and Katharina’s retirement to the bedchamber described in Act IV, Scene I?
3. How does Katharina respond to Petruchio’s delay at the wedding in Act III, Scene II?
4. How does Petruchio treat Katharina differently than the other characters in the play?
5. How is the theme of appearance and reality illustrated in Act III?
6. What schemes do Tranio and Lucentio reveal in Act III, Scene II?
7. Characterize the relationship between Katharina and Petruchio in the narrative. How is their relationship commonly approached in performance?
8. Why is Bianca sought after by so many suitors in the play? How does Bianca’s characterization relate to Katharina’s?
9. How does Baptista respond to Petruchio’s appearance in Act III, Scene II? Why?
10. How would you characterize the Pedant in Act IV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of disguise in the play. How many characters have decided to assume disguises in Act I? Why does Lucentio choose to disguise himself to Baptista’s household? Why does Hortensio?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the setting of the Induction. Where is Christopher Sly first discovered? Where does Christopher Sly claim to hail from? In what country is Wincot located? How does this setting differ from that of the main action of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the language and style of The Taming of the Shrew. Define and discuss the following in your answer: prose, blank verse, and iambic pentameter. How is the meter defined in iambic pentameter? Where do the stresses lie in each syllable of the lines? What are examples of inversion in the meter of lines? What do inversions signify? What is a feminine ending?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)