|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from Act III, Scene I refers to the whole series of recognized musical notes?
2. According to Curtis in Act IV, Scene I, Petruchio lectures Katharina on what in their bridal chamber?
3. What does Grumio say “have eaten the horses” in Act III, Scene II?
4. What term from Act III, Scene II refers to an ecclesiastic representing the pope or a bishop?
5. What is the setting for Act III, Scene I?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you characterize the Pedant in Act IV?
2. How do Hortensio’s objectives change in Act IV, Scene II? Why?
3. How does Petruchio treat Katharina differently than the other characters in the play?
4. How is the character of Grumio characterized in the play? What is Grumio’s relationship to language?
5. How is the theme of appearance and reality illustrated in Act III?
6. What happens when the Haberdasher and Tailor arrive at Petruchio’s house in Act IV, Scene III?
7. What do Petruchio and Katharina argue about during their travels in Act IV, Scene V?
8. Where do Petruchio and Katharina arrive in Act IV, Scene I? How is Petruchio’s behavior characterized?
9. What schemes do Tranio and Lucentio reveal in Act III, Scene II?
10. How does Katharina respond to Petruchio’s delay at the wedding in Act III, Scene II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the characters of Christopher Sly, the Lord, the Hostess, and the Servants in the Induction. How is Sly’s appearance described? How wealthy is the Lord, and what is his home like? What are the objectives of each of these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss “subtext” and “innuendo” in literature and drama. What are examples of sexual innuendo between Katharina and Petruchio in their first meeting? What does the subtext in this scene reveal to the audience/reader? Is subtext easier to identify when reading or viewing the play?
Essay Topic 3
Gender Roles in The Taming of the Shrew
a. Discuss the differences and similarities between male and female roles in the play. What are the expectations for women and men? How do these expectations differ based on gender?
b. How do critics perceive Katharina’s transition in the play? Do you agree or disagree with these views? Why?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)