|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Petruchio throw “all in the sexton’s face” at the wedding, according to Gremio in Act III, Scene II?
2. Petruchio tells the wedding guests in Act III, Scene II, “Be mad and merry, or go” what?
3. The Pedant tells Baptista that he has come to Padua for what reason in Act IV Scene IV?
4. The following lines of Hortensio’s in Act III, Scene I are an example of what literary technique? “How fiery and forward our Pedant is! / Now, for my life, the knave doth court my love: / Pedascule, I'll watch you better yet.”
5. Petruchio complains that the meat for dinner is what in Act IV, Scene I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Petruchio and Katharina arrive in Act IV, Scene I? How is Petruchio’s behavior characterized?
2. Characterize the relationship between Katharina and Petruchio in the narrative. How is their relationship commonly approached in performance?
3. How does Petruchio treat Katharina differently than the other characters in the play?
4. How do Hortensio’s objectives change in Act IV, Scene II? Why?
5. How does Petruchio describe his treatment of his bride in the end of Act IV, Scene I?
6. How would you characterize the Pedant in Act IV?
7. What does Petruchio announce after the wedding in Act III, Scene II?
8. How does Baptista respond to Petruchio’s appearance in Act III, Scene II? Why?
9. What schemes do Tranio and Lucentio reveal in Act III, Scene II?
10. What does Gremio reveal of the wedding in Act III, Scene II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define imagery and discuss examples of animal imagery in The Taming of the Shrew. What was the common conception of the term “shrew” in Shakespeare’s time? What other comparisons are made between Katharina and animals? How does Katharina use animal imagery in her witty retorts to the other characters in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the characters of Lucentio and Tranio in the play. How does Shakespeare’s language and style of speech indicate the character traits of these individuals in the play? What indications are there in the text regarding the characters’ appearances? How old are Lucentio and Tranio?
Essay Topic 3
Gender Roles in The Taming of the Shrew
a. Discuss the differences and similarities between male and female roles in the play. What are the expectations for women and men? How do these expectations differ based on gender?
b. How do critics perceive Katharina’s transition in the play? Do you agree or disagree with these views? Why?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)